Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,763 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night (21184 Views)

2face Performs At Hard Rock Cafe (pics) / Headies Organisers Release Statement On The Drama That Happened On Awards Night / D'banj Performs At A Ciroc Event In Mauritius(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Chukwuemeka007(m): 8:59am On May 31, 2013
A mild drama ensued at the Oriental hotel, Lekki, Lagos, venue of the just concluded Song Award organised by the Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) last Saturday night when Nigeria’s reggae legend and guitarist, Majek Fashek stormed the place to thrill his fans once again after years of being missing on stage.

Clad in rugged jersey and jacket with a brown cap, Majek who has been incapacitated for a long time now arrived the venue some minutes to the end of the event and hell was let loose. Shouts of ‘the Rainmaker’ rented the airas he moved from one end of the expansive hall to another, greeting and hugging some of his contemporaries whom he has not seen for years.

Interestingly, Majek’s song, “Send Down the Rain” won the best song of the 1980s at the event.Even though, his sight evoked sympathy,some of the guests who were familiar with Majek’s ordeal could not believe their eyes as the Rainmaker was virtually in high spirit. Still looking shabby and frail, Majek bubbled with lifewhile the event lasted.

Upon spotting highlife maestro, Victor Uwaifo who was one of the dignitaries that graced the awards night, Majek immediately prostrated before him and later, requested to perform on stage. But the audience would not allow him to do so as they wanted him to close the event.After Iyanya’s ‘erotic performance’, Majek mounted the stage and took the audience in a musical voyage. He reeled out some of his evergreen songs to the delight of the audience.

When he sang ‘ Send Down the Rain’, everyone in the hall took to the floor as they sang along with him. His performance that night reaffirmed his place as a reggae legend.Despite missing the stage for a long time. Majek who waltzed his way into the hearts of music fans in the late 80s and early 90s with his debut album

“Prisoner of Conscience” containing the hit track ‘Send Down The Rain’ released in 1987, still retains his stagecraft, vocal dexterity and followership. Standing ovation however greeted his ‘unexpected’ performance even as he hinted that his latest album is due to be released soon.

Meanwhile, the event was organised to honour musicians, songwriters and composers who had written and sung great songs from 1960s till date. Victor Uwaifo’s “Joromi,” was chosen as the best song of the 1960s while Prince Nico Mbarga’s “Sweet Mother” won the 1970s category.While Femi Kuti’s “Wonder Wonder” emerged the best song of the 1990s, for the new millennium (2000), Kehinde Akinbode’s “Olorioko” was awarded thebest contemporary Afro song. The contemporary pop song was awarded to Tu Face Idibia with “African Queen.”Sunny Nneji won contemporary highlife category with “Oruka.” Idibia won contemporary afro with “Iheneme,” while Psquare were honoured for their hit song “Chop My Money” and the best song for contemporary highlife of the new era was awarded to Jude Okoye for“Baby Oku.”The award ceremony was part of activities marking the COSON week.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/drama-as-majek-fashek-storms-coson-awards-night/

3 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by IAMBREEZY: 11:16am On May 31, 2013
Bad man is back
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by oloriooko(m): 12:15pm On May 31, 2013
chei!!! see wetin drug turn this promising star to, he looks like a scarecrow undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by DICKtator: 12:17pm On May 31, 2013
Woow!!! Sending down the rain!!!!!!!!!!!
grin grin grin grin
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Lilimax(f): 12:18pm On May 31, 2013
So Majek the 'Rain Maker'is still very much around.
Good to know he is hale and hearty despite his health challenges due to drugs. smiley
Majekodumi Fasheke -(Majek Fashek) cheesy
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by nationalnwa(m): 12:18pm On May 31, 2013
;DDis guy sϋ̲̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣ looks like craze.
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Etumgbe(m): 12:18pm On May 31, 2013
Thank God he didn't collapse on the stage

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by dridowu: 12:19pm On May 31, 2013
Majek Fashek.......................Baba Agba
4 d organiser of d COSON, kudos to dm all

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by HAH: 12:19pm On May 31, 2013
The talent is still there,irrespective of his physical looks.

Respect Jah man.

2 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by naiijaboii: 12:20pm On May 31, 2013
I appreciate his existence!

If nothing else, he is a shining example of why our YOUTH should stay away from DRUGS!

He is surely a poster child for an Anti Drug Campaign

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by pak: 12:20pm On May 31, 2013
Nice One.

Though I don't have the full list of awards.

But I feel Lagbaja, Shina Peters and the Remedies should have had ashout in there for the 90's

3 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by DICKtator: 12:21pm On May 31, 2013
oloriooko:
chei!!! see wetin drug turn this promising star to, he looks like a scarecrow undecided undecided undecided

Are you the Kehinde Akinbode that won? undecided undecided undecided undecided
grin grin grin grin
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Mologi(m): 12:21pm On May 31, 2013
Shekman i stl dey feel dis guy
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by yuzedo: 12:22pm On May 31, 2013
This guy was a god.

Spirit of Love... Respect always!
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by javipee: 12:23pm On May 31, 2013
DOWNLOAD HIS SONGS HERE smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by AkinDavid2: 12:24pm On May 31, 2013
Could be rusty and dirty for a while but gold na gold anytime. wink

11 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by StevenJay01(m): 12:26pm On May 31, 2013
The sky looks misty and cloudy,looks like d rain wants to fall today.since morning,I have been sowing my seeds,praying for the rain to come and water it all...............NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW WAT THEY HAVE UNTIL DEY LOSE THEM

15 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 31, 2013
Happy for him
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Lakayana: 12:30pm On May 31, 2013
If that is a true picture of the performance he gave means he is looking better now. May God remove the ganja, drugs and alcohol from his system I pray he remains reformed and be able to resist every ogogoro temptation from his fragile mind.

2 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Policewoman(f): 12:30pm On May 31, 2013
DRUGS ARE BAD. STAY OFF 'EM.
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by tomakint: 12:32pm On May 31, 2013
Legends are born and not made, Majek is a born Legend!

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 31, 2013
He looks handsome,lol grin
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Blackteeth(m): 12:36pm On May 31, 2013
These days every Nigerian artiste sounds alike. In those days each artiste gave you a different flavour and feeling.
Chai. I miss majek fashek, Alex O, Alex Zitto, The mandators, Mike Okri, Sunny Okosuns etc.

3 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by pak: 12:40pm On May 31, 2013
Blackteeth: These days every Nigerian artiste sounds alike. In those days each artiste gave you a different flavour and feeling.
Chai. I miss majek fashek, Alex O, Alex Zitto, The mandators, Mike Okri, Sunny Okosuns etc.

So so true, You're a wise man

it all started with the death of bands.

Fruity loops will always sound like Fruity loops

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 31, 2013
oloriooko: chei!!! see wetin drug turn this promising star to, he looks like a scarecrow undecided undecided undecided

I dey beg u ooo,laugh wan finish me....'Scarecrow ni scarecrow ko' my belle don dey pain me.....

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by VALIDATOR: 12:54pm On May 31, 2013
What we have now are entertainers and not musicians. They only go on stage to dance (with sexy girls) to their well studio produced song that is already a hit on radio and TV.
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by jidejide2(m): 12:56pm On May 31, 2013
I love u majekodunmi oluwafasheki. Thumbs up
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:56pm On May 31, 2013
pak:

So so true, You're a wise man

it all started with the death of bands.

Fruity loops will always sound like Fruity loops
Top producers hardly use fl studio.
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by lifestyle1(m): 12:56pm On May 31, 2013
javipee: DOWNLOAD HIS SONGS HERE smiley smiley

undecided
Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by bknight: 1:00pm On May 31, 2013
Frail, near dead or dead...a legend is a legend!

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek Attends & Performs At COSON Awards Night by jkendy(m): 1:01pm On May 31, 2013
Can someone tell me the relationship btw Majek and Hanks Anuku? Hey, am not sayin that both of them are partners-in-drugs neiher am I saying that insanity is their companion. What I want to know is how related are they in the 'REHABILITATION CENTRE'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monalisa Chinda And Ibinabo Fiberesima Wow In Rivers State Attires / Fake News: Sam Ajibola Takes Legal Action Against Tunde Ednut & Gossip Bobo / Davido Appoints Ayo George As His New Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.