Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? (969 Views)

Achievements Of Cross River State Governor Liyel Imoke / Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Governor Imoke Has Chronic Kidney Disease - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 5:40pm On May 31, 2013
I read a piece in the newspapers suggesting Liyel Imoke is pursuing a private-sector led growth model in Cross Rivers. Private businesses are supposedly investing in manufacturing, agriculture, food processing, oil refining, etc. Of course there is the known investment in power generation by General Electric in the state. I would like to know how far he has gone. Those who travel should please inform us. I have always believed in encouraging the private sector to lead the economy and, if what I hear is true, I think Cross River is going in the right direction. I just want to know how far they have gone in industrialization.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by ghosttownboss(m): 5:50pm On May 31, 2013
dem send u?

1 Like

Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 12:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
ghosttownboss: dem send u?

No. No one sent me. I posed a question. I am trying to find out the efficacy of the policy in Cross Rivers. I have no direct interest in the state. I am actually Igbo from one of the South East states, so I have no direct interest in the local politics of the states of the South South. I am only interested in the implementation of capitalist policies and the success of such policies.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 12:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
I see you @Jimmy Okon and @touch4mony. Feel free to comment.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by obxddon(m): 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
I live in CRS and I must say He is trying with rural roads and small access roads.But he has bad advisers who advises him about Tax issues.The tax is driving people mad and making business to close down.he should reduce the Tax by half and watch the number of investments that would come up.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 10:06pm On Jun 01, 2013
obxddon: I live in CRS and I must say He is trying with rural roads and small access roads.But he has bad advisers who advises him about Tax issues.The tax is driving people mad and making business to close down.he should reduce the Tax by half and watch the number of investments that would come up.

You are right. Taxation can be a pain if excessive. But I would like to know how far industrialization has gone. Has GE made some progress in providing employment? Or are they still under construction. What about the rumour of large fruit farms in the region? Is it true? Where is it located and how does it work in terms of ownership, funding, etc?
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by ghosttownboss(m): 10:31am On Jun 02, 2013
cross river state has only two functional companies
1-unicem- which is toatally dominated by the yorubas and
2-flour mills ltd also dominated by outsiders
tinapa is a colosal waste investing in that place would definately create employment for millions of jobless indigenes the cross river graduate has two options u either work in unical , teaching hospital imclusive standard price 200000k or thereabout or you join politics.sadly there is a dept of job placement that tells us when nnpc,army and the likes are collecting cvs since we dont have money to buy paper or acess internet from our phones hopefully somebody will think of attracting investors/commercially this state which will in turn create employment and justify the huge taxes bros give us a break that is not the only responsibilty of the state govt the kicback recieved from awarding these road jobs is the only justification
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by Soldierant1: 7:30am On Jun 05, 2013
Haba only 2 functional companies? that's not true now! I moved to Calabar from North America to work with Addax 4yrs ago and I haven't been disappointed with life in general. Infact I've setup my own small companies doing shows and events promotions around the many festivals and tourism themed businesses in Calabar and a small logistic support company also. Yes taxes are high and I have complained from Calabar to Timbuktoo. But then when you consider the increases of their IGR from something closer to 500million which I hear is the real reason why they have to raise money creatively. Fair play. Am told they have moved IGR to maybe just over 1.3Billion in 6yrs so you can forgive the Government for high taxes. I am told their monthly Federal allocation is very low at about 2.9billion monthly compared to 18,19 and as high as 24billion for AKS, Rivers, Bayelsa and my own Delta state who collects maybe 11billion. Imoke try oh. Una dey talk 2 companies? the Indonesians wey invest over 2Billion dollars nko for Agric? Songhai Farms is running there also.......I mean broadly speaking when one reflects on Calabar one must thank God. They reformed education......nonono I prefer here to Anywhere! And Tinapa isn't dead. They're now more businesses located there added to the Water Park which has come to life and i hear the transaction figures for Tinapa is in the region of a billion dollars plus for last year. Also if you look around Tinapa they're still developing the area with a planned Golf estate, golf course, Convention Centre for seminars .....Events etc ...and UAC Nigeria and other partners are involved. I hear construction has also started on Oyedepos Convenant Uni and Mo Abudu has a tv station running from Tinapa added to the ICT park ......theyre about to launch in Tinapa called the Knowledge City! so for an outsider like me....the business environment which is the best regulated in the country has allowed me flourish in a safe and sane environment .....my wife is happy and kids are too in school in Hill Crest. This is first hand information from experience.

1 Like

Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 05, 2013
University of Calabar is the only 'industry' over there. Remove it and Calabar will become a ghost town.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 6:35pm On Jun 05, 2013
Soldierant1: Haba only 2 functional companies? that's not true now! I moved to Calabar from North America to work with Addax 4yrs ago and I haven't been disappointed with life in general. Infact I've setup my own small companies doing shows and events promotions around the many festivals and tourism themed businesses in Calabar and a small logistic support company also. Yes taxes are high and I have complained from Calabar to Timbuktoo. But then when you consider the increases of their IGR from something closer to 500million which I hear is the real reason why they have to raise money creatively. Fair play. Am told they have moved IGR to maybe just over 1.3Billion in 6yrs so you can forgive the Government for high taxes. I am told their monthly Federal allocation is very low at about 2.9billion monthly compared to 18,19 and as high as 24billion for AKS, Rivers, Bayelsa and my own Delta state who collects maybe 11billion. Imoke try oh. Una dey talk 2 companies? the Indonesians wey invest over 2Billion dollars nko for Agric? Songhai Farms is running there also.......I mean broadly speaking when one reflects on Calabar one must thank God. They reformed education......nonono I prefer here to Anywhere! And Tinapa isn't dead. They're now more businesses located there added to the Water Park which has come to life and i hear the transaction figures for Tinapa is in the region of a billion dollars plus for last year. Also if you look around Tinapa they're still developing the area with a planned Golf estate, golf course, Convention Centre for seminars .....Events etc ...and UAC Nigeria and other partners are involved. I hear construction has also started on Oyedepos Convenant Uni and Mo Abudu has a tv station running from Tinapa added to the ICT park ......theyre about to launch in Tinapa called the Knowledge City! so for an outsider like me....the business environment which is the best regulated in the country has allowed me flourish in a safe and sane environment .....my wife is happy and kids are too in school in Hill Crest. This is first hand information from experience.

This is the direction other states should go. I mean, you are not an indigene of the state but you have decided to make your living there and with your businesses and taxes, you would be contributing to the economy of the state. This is what other states should consider n order to spread development. I would like to hear more about the farms operated by the Indonesians. And Songhai farms. How far have they gone? And also the knowledge city project.

The fact that they are thinking creatively on raising IGR, even to the point of encouraging foreigners and nonindegenes, is because they see that they cannot rely on oil for easy money. This is why true federalism, and eventually self determination, must be encouraged in Nigeria. The easy money we get from oil has made hating our neighbors cheaper and easier.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by Soldierant1: 3:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
The University being the only industry? What will you call Wilmars $350M investment in the agricultural sector or UNICEMS ever increasing investment in the state? Dangote/Dansa or Real Farms mega investments in the state in the last 4 to 5yrs. Its not about monolithic white elephant projects going nowhere. Its about improving on the standard of living and quality of life for residents of the state, like us. Wilmars investment alone will creat 30k direct jobs! 68 direct manufacturing firms in the EPZ alone! And I know the New Calabar Convention Centre is tied in to boost things in and around Tinapa. I was a little worried when I had to leave Addax. But having researched and met with the investment guys in the Governor Office and spoke to a few people I took the plunge into private sector business in Calabar and I have no regrets. There's so much happening here for a poor state although they still have to get a few things right.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by Soldierant1: 4:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 10:47am On Jun 07, 2013
Soldierant1: The University being the only industry? What will you call Wilmars $350M investment in the agricultural sector or UNICEMS ever increasing investment in the state? Dangote/Dansa or Real Farms mega investments in the state in the last 4 to 5yrs. Its not about monolithic white elephant projects going nowhere. Its about improving on the standard of living and quality of life for residents of the state, like us. Wilmars investment alone will creat 30k direct jobs! 68 direct manufacturing firms in the EPZ alone! And I know the New Calabar Convention Centre is tied in to boost things in and around Tinapa. I was a little worried when I had to leave Addax. But having researched and met with the investment guys in the Governor Office and spoke to a few people I took the plunge into private sector business in Calabar and I have no regrets. There's so much happening here for a poor state although they still have to get a few things right.

Are you Lape Soetan?

I will like to hear more about the Wilmar and other agricultural investments if you have more details. How are they coming along?

My new post www.nairaland.com/1316341/capitalism-africa discusses capitalism and how such projects in Calabar can be made to be sustainable. But identifying projects embarked on, success stories and threats to sustainability in Calabar is important, especially in agriculture.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by SmartTalk: 10:48am On Jun 07, 2013
Soldierant1: The University being the only industry? What will you call Wilmars $350M investment in the agricultural sector or UNICEMS ever increasing investment in the state? Dangote/Dansa or Real Farms mega investments in the state in the last 4 to 5yrs. Its not about monolithic white elephant projects going nowhere. Its about improving on the standard of living and quality of life for residents of the state, like us. Wilmars investment alone will creat 30k direct jobs! 68 direct manufacturing firms in the EPZ alone! And I know the New Calabar Convention Centre is tied in to boost things in and around Tinapa. I was a little worried when I had to leave Addax. But having researched and met with the investment guys in the Governor Office and spoke to a few people I took the plunge into private sector business in Calabar and I have no regrets. There's so much happening here for a poor state although they still have to get a few things right.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by omenka(m): 12:11pm On Jun 07, 2013
Soldierant1: Haba only 2 functional companies? that's not true now! I moved to Calabar from North America to work with Addax 4yrs ago and I haven't been disappointed with life in general. Infact I've setup my own small companies doing shows and events promotions around the many festivals and tourism themed businesses in Calabar and a small logistic support company also. Yes taxes are high and I have complained from Calabar to Timbuktoo. But then when you consider the increases of their IGR from something closer to 500million which I hear is the real reason why they have to raise money creatively. Fair play. Am told they have moved IGR to maybe just over 1.3Billion in 6yrs so you can forgive the Government for high taxes. I am told their monthly Federal allocation is very low at about 2.9billion monthly compared to 18,19 and as high as 24billion for AKS, Rivers, Bayelsa and my own Delta state who collects maybe 11billion. Imoke try oh. Una dey talk 2 companies? the Indonesians wey invest over 2Billion dollars nko for Agric? Songhai Farms is running there also.......I mean broadly speaking when one reflects on Calabar one must thank God. They reformed education......nonono I prefer here to Anywhere! And Tinapa isn't dead. They're now more businesses located there added to the Water Park which has come to life and i hear the transaction figures for Tinapa is in the region of a billion dollars plus for last year. Also if you look around Tinapa they're still developing the area with a planned Golf estate, golf course, Convention Centre for seminars .....Events etc ...and UAC Nigeria and other partners are involved. I hear construction has also started on Oyedepos Convenant Uni and Mo Abudu has a tv station running from Tinapa added to the ICT park ......theyre about to launch in Tinapa called the Knowledge City! so for an outsider like me....the business environment which is the best regulated in the country has allowed me flourish in a safe and sane environment .....my wife is happy and kids are too in school in Hill Crest. This is first hand information from experience.

You still wouldave made a good point without necesarily telling us you are from "North America" and your kids atend an elite school. Kinda takes a huge chunk off the substance in your post.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by Soldierant1: 5:03pm On Jun 07, 2013
Don't be offended! But Hill Crest is not an elite school! Its an easily affordable school, please!
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by ujoinme: 5:46pm On Jun 07, 2013
omenka:

You still wouldave made a good point without necesarily telling us you are from "North America" and your kids atend an elite school. Kinda takes a huge chunk off the substance in your post.
Why? are u anti- North america or against private school? In my view it adds to the substance of his post that after his time in Americas and with the oil company,he can still make a living in the private sector in calabar to ensure his wives and kids happiness. mind you if u have a family you know that their happiness is very vital.
I would say bravo to CRS goverment for creating such enabling environment that these guy painted.
Re: How Is Liyel Imoke Performing? by LondonCool(m): 10:28pm On Jun 07, 2013
All in all, it's still a Civil Service state where everyone sits and waits for December to arrive in order to make money during the one month Xmas Carnival festivities.

(1) (Reply)

Gej's Report Card: High debt, no jobs and dead children / "Traitor" Obasanjo Rejected As AU Election Observer To Zimbabwe By PAF / Journalists Escape Snake Attack At House Of Reps Members House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.