Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. (708 Views)

PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation / Economic Realities: The Way Forward For President-elect Muhammadu Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by gbigbega: 8:54pm On May 31, 2013
I had an unpleasant encounter with some police men around 9pm when I coundnt produced my drivers license. I beg them, explaining that i left my wallet, where the drivers license is, at home but they refused. I even asked one of the passenger in my car to quickly run home and pick if for me since my house was not far from the location and I am permitted within the confines of the law to produced it within 24 hours. These police men did not agree o, they insisted on inpounding my vehicle because I didn't want to give them money, they took my car to their station, collected my keys and was going to leave me stranded in their police station despite the fact that the person who has gone to pick my license was almost close to reaching us with the license. It was another police who one of the person in my car happen to know that beg them o. They didn't didn't even wait to see the drivers license when it came, before releasing my keys.

In another incidence, my brother who is into car tracking business tracked and stopped a stolen car of one of his client. On getting to the location, the informed police men, heavily armed, saw the four robbers and arrested them - they were caught off guard and unarmed. Some hours later, my brother called his client to know the status of the case and he was told that the police men did not get the robbers to the police station. They said the rubbers escaped on the way to the station. Now they can't move their car because it had become an exhibit- can you imagine? The rubbers had obviously brided their way out.

What do you think we can do to rid the nation off these corruption soaked police men. The hight of insecurity is when those who are paid to protect you are the one making your life insecure. I beg what is the way forward.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by Osama10(m): 9:02pm On May 31, 2013
Your experience with the Nigerian Police is the exact situation Nigeria as a country finds itself in.

Nigeria would only get worse.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by bloggernaija: 11:59am On Jun 01, 2013
Osama10: Your experience with the Nigerian Police is the exact situation Nigeria as a country finds itself in.

Let every policeman be posted to his state of origin.those who do not want to go should quit.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by Tolexander: 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
bloggernaija:

Let every policeman be posted to his state of origin.those who do not want to go should quit.
this may not even solve the problem!
Supposing you are a police in your hometown and your mother came to you on behalf of the crime committed by her friend's child, won't you yield to her plea? And many connected issues like that.

The way backward is the way forward to the nigerian police, let them go back to the board, learn and understand what their roles and responsibilities are.

But unfortunately, the government is not helping the matter at all with the police force's salary, bad situation of their training schools and offices, neglecting the function of the police by awarding the state's property protection(e.g oil pipelines) to the touts and poor pension scheme.
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
[size=14pt]Simple, the government should give them a uniform without pocket and no more bribes.[/size] angry
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
Osama10: Your experience with the Nigerian Police is the exact situation Nigeria as a country finds itself in.

u can shut up now if u av nothing to say!
I knw a lotta brain_shorted individuals will agree with ur post, but d OP was asking for a solution to be proffered and not d condemnation of the whole country.

If u are too senile to reason, then u shldnt be too idle to shut up!
Re: What Is The Way Forward For Nigerian Police. by Gluckdude(m): 2:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
There are many ways to cortail their deeds on duty. if u ever watch american police patrol team programmes, u will understand what policing is all about, their every move is being recorded/monitored, their police vehicle has a dash and interior camera, with audible and clear audio recordings. their uniform has a mouth piece attached to it close to their shoulders, with which they can monitor everything a policeman says while on duty. with such measures videos/audio evidence can be readily available.

And no more than 2 policemen are placed in a patrol vehicle, why place 8 able bodied men with arms on 1 patrol vehicle with no aim and purpose, no means of monitoring what there up to while on duty shocked , they cant be useful in anyway. with their peanut salary and giving them heavy loaded ak47 with a one tonne metallic bullet prove, they will definitely be frustrated,after lifting those for hours. no taser, no bat,only guns fully loaded, what else will be the outcome
all they do every morning is park near a video shop seller's and gist all day, cars with no tail light, trucks with one headlamps, over loaded buses all drive past...

Their police stations is in shambles, no cctv in their entire station, no camera, no monitoring device shocked, no light, their cells are hellish, the police are confuse, this is not entirely their fault though. its fg's shiit to deal with.

all this can be achieved when someone with a high percentage of common sense becomes a president or IG.
#myfacts#

(1) (Reply)

One Word Answer Only!!!!! / Why I Retired As Major-general — Buhari / Letter To President Jonathan – By Al Mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.