Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,744 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation (3877 Views)

Ohanaeze Sets Up Committee To Design Economic Blueprint For Ndigbo / Ndigbo In South-Africa Protests Against Fulani Attack In Enugu. / Judiciary Is Being Used As A Tool In The Current Dispensation! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by egift(m): 2:43pm On May 23, 2015
Often time, I had re-framed from certain discussions just to stay from the usual bigotry and supremacy battle I see here. But today I wish to lend a voice and help correct some of the misplaced conceptions that have been championed by those that felt they are more legitimate than others.

The relevance and place of Ndigbo in Nigeria is one that will never be wished away by even the most cynical minds. Like other major ethnic groups in Nigeria (the Hausas, Yorubas and Fulanis), the Igbos are among the pillars that make Nigeria what it is.

It is also my candid believe that none of these ethnic groups will either be able to pull away or exist alone and retain the powerful status that is possible for Nigeria. Therefore the irrelevant quest for an independent nationhood should be disabused and rather we should concentrate on what is useful and important to our people.

Consequently, the question now is what are the way forward. How Ndigbo can be more integrated in the affairs of the Nation for which we are an integral part of. While my list is not comprehensive, the following is my practical suggestions.

1. Self-Awareness And Realization
Ndigbo must fully realize our identity that Nigeria is our one and only country. And also accept we are not limited by anyone’s misconstrued understanding. We must know that like the birth of a child to the family, our citizenship as Nigerians does not limit what we can become as people and individuals. Nigeria is not a zoo as some miscreants will want to brainwash us to believe. Nigeria is our beloved country. We must help build it, make it better and be proud of Nigeria. Unless this is done, we may see ourselves continually treated as guests and strangers in our own country.

2. Preserve Our Heritage
Ndigbo as people, have a very historic and rich cultural heritage that narrates our evolution, transitions, genealogy, language, etc. A well-articulated effort must be made to preserve this heritage. The current efforts have not been enough. All our traditional institutions, States and Local Governments must be drafted to rebrand and promote the Igbo tradition. The challenges of the current effort are hampered because people organizing these events are in it for profit and not because of patriot quest to promote and celebrate the uniqueness and rich complexities of the Igbo traditions.

Also the Igbo Language must be taught at all levels to ensure it get wide usage. It breaks my heart hearing that pupils are punished for speaking Igbo in school. New lexicons must be included in Igbo Language to reflect the terms of the 21st century. Also events must be promoted to celebrate the Igbo language (like Igbo Quiz competitions, Igbo spelling competitions, Igbo Easy Competitions, Igbo Journalism, 24/7 Igbo Radio Stations, etc.)

3. Good Governance And Development Of The South East
Often we heap all the blame of underdevelopment at the centre, which end up giving the States and Local Governments a free pass. We must elect competent individuals in positions of power in Aligbo, to ensure we develop and that our people evolve better. The welfare of our people must be paramount. Those should not be allowed to loot, while the masses languishing in poverty. Nigbo must ensure that these official offer dividends of democracy to the people. Pressure group must be patriotic and desist from selfish tendencies. Those that failed to deliver must be called out.

4. Build Bridges And Love Our Fellow Citizens
Ndigbo must accept and embrace the Hausas, Yorubas, Fulanis, Ijaws, and the over 300 Nigeria ethnic groups as our brothers and fellow countrymen. We should learn from the past, but not allow it to becloud our judgment in how we relate with others. He who is focused in the past will fall into a pit in front of him. We must love our neighbors as ourselves. We have no other country than Nigeria.

5. Collaboration With The Centre
Ndigbo must be part of process and effects to build a better Nigeria. Calling for anarchy and arms against Nigeria will only hamper our prospects of development and keep us in perpetual confrontation with the rest of Nigeria.

Consequently, we must desist from senseless chest beating that is aimed at demeaning people from other parts of the country. We must treat and call others names in a manner we desire to be treated and addressed. Don’t keep silent from correcting others when they engage in activities that is detriment to the fortune of Ndigbo as true citizens of Nigerians.

Finally, I strongly believe in the Nigerian project. Division is dangerous and will bring destruction to lives, properties and the dignity of many across the divide. None of the current problems facing Nigeria will be solved by division alone. Rather we must make concentrated effort to build a better Nigerian that works for everyone.

As we step into a new dispensation in Nigeria’s history, we say no to Sons of Anarchy. And Yes to development, peace, unity and progress.

- Egift

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 23, 2015
If only most of them think the way you do sad
Let's hope they read and understand
Nice write up smiley

8 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Eshinwaju: 3:00pm On May 23, 2015
nice write up.......most right thinking ibos think like this.....except some frustrated ones on NL.... cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by customized07: 3:01pm On May 23, 2015
Yorubas taking panadol for Igbo headache, I like when people are obsessed about us, most especially people from the use and dump tribe grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 23, 2015
egift:
Often time, I had re-framed from certain discussions just to stay from the usual bigotry and supremacy battle I see here. But today I wish to lend a voice and help correct some of the misplaced conceptions that have been championed by those that felt they are more legitimate than others.

The relevance and place of Ndigbo in Nigeria is one that will never be wished away by even the most cynical minds. Like other major ethnic groups in Nigeria (the Hausas, Yorubas and Fulanis), the Igbos are among the pillars that make Nigeria what it is.

It is also my candid believe that none of these ethnic groups will either be able to pull away or exist alone and retain the powerful status that is possible for Nigeria. Therefore the irrelevant quest for an independent nationhood should be disabused and rather we should concentrate on what is useful and important to our people.

Consequently, the question now is what are the way forward. How Ndigbo can be more integrated in the affairs of the Nation for which we are an integral part of. While my list is not comprehensive, the following is my practical suggestions.

Ndigbo must fully realize our identity that Nigeria is our one and only country. And also accept we are not limited by anyone’s misconstrued understanding. We must know that like the birth of a child to the family, our citizenship as Nigerians does not limit what we can become as people and individuals. Nigeria is not a zoo as some miscreants will want to brainwash us to believe. Nigeria is our beloved country. We must help build it, make it better and be proud of Nigeria. Unless this is done, we may see ourselves continually treated as guests and strangers in our own country.

2. Preserve Our Heritage
Ndigbo as people, have a very historic and rich cultural heritage that narrates our evolution, transitions, genealogy, language, etc. A well-articulated effort must be made to preserve this heritage. The current efforts have not been enough. All our traditional institutions, States and Local Governments must be drafted to rebrand and promote the Igbo tradition. The challenges of the current effort are hampered because people organizing these events are in it for profit and not because of patriot quest to promote and celebrate the uniqueness and rich complexities of the Igbo traditions.

Also the Igbo Language must be taught at all levels to ensure it get wide usage. It breaks my heart hearing that pupils are punished for speaking Igbo in school. New lexicons must be included in Igbo Language to reflect the terms of the 21st century. Also events must be promoted to celebrate the Igbo language (like Igbo Quiz competitions, Igbo spelling competitions, Igbo Easy Competitions, Igbo Journalism, 24/7 Igbo Radio Stations, etc.)

Often we heap all the blame of underdevelopment at the centre, which end up giving the States and Local Governments a free pass. We must elect competent individuals in positions of power in Aligbo, to ensure we develop and that our people evolve better. The welfare of our people must be paramount. Those should not be allowed to loot, while the masses languishing in poverty. Nigbo must ensure that these official offer dividends of democracy to the people. Pressure group must be patriotic and desist from selfish tendencies. Those that failed to deliver must be called out.

Ndigbo must accept and embrace the Hausas, Yorubas, Fulanis, Ijaws, and the over 300 Nigeria ethnic groups as our brothers and fellow countrymen. We should learn from the past, but not allow it to becloud our judgment in how we relate with others. He who is focused in the past will fall into a pit in front of him. We must love our neighbors as ourselves. We have no other country than Nigeria.

Ndigbo must be part of process and effects to build a better Nigeria. Calling for anarchy and arms against Nigeria will only hamper our prospects of development and keep us in perpetual confrontation with the rest of Nigeria.

Consequently, we must desist from senseless chest beating that is aimed at demeaning people from other parts of the country. We must treat and call others names in a manner we desire to be treated and addressed. Don’t keep silent from correcting others when they engage in activities that is detriment to the fortune of Ndigbo as true citizens of Nigerians.

Finally, I strongly believe in the Nigerian project. Division is dangerous and will bring destruction to lives, properties and the dignity of many across the divide. None of the current problems facing Nigeria will be solved by division alone. Rather we must make concentrated effort to build a better Nigerian that works for everyone.

As we step into a new dispensation in Nigeria’s history, we say no to Sons of Anarchy. And Yes to development, peace, unity and progress.

- Egift

just my 2 cent referendum or war..
Bleep the zoo..
eat your post and poo nigga

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 23, 2015
customized07:
Yorubas taking panadol for Igbo headache, I like when people are obsessed about us, most especially people from the use and dump tribe grin
don't mind those ninny grin .....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 23, 2015
Egift, the animals(opportunist) amongt you are in minority just like we have our own opc animals (opportunist). Great article.

4 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by OduaVanguard: 3:12pm On May 23, 2015
E kpatewo (clap) fun egift. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by egift(m): 3:18pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:

Bleep the zoo..

Anyone that tell you that dividing Nigeria will be peaceful actually consider you not capable of reasoning. Peaceful division is not possible unless all the parties agree on division. There is no country in the world (Russia, China, US, Britain, France, etc) that will take up the task of dividing Nigeria. None. So don't hold your breath.

Nigeria will remain one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

Anyone that tell you that dividing Nigeria will be peaceful actually consider you not capable of reasoning. Peaceful division is not possible unless all the parties agree on division. There is no country in the world (Russia, China, US, Britain, France, etc) that will take up the task of dividing Nigeria. None. So don't hold your breath.

Nigeria will remain one.

#Gbam

3 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 23, 2015
Thank you egift for this truthful & eye-opening piece, but I doubt if our stiff-necked Nigerian follow-follow Jews will heed your advice.

They are currently pandering in wild goose chase, looking for countries, that will help them secede.

6 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

Nigeria will be divided.

story for the gods grin

that's why i said referendum or war.

Tell that to the UN or Scotland...

when it happens you will eat your word's...
nigga.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 23, 2015
customized07:

Children like you need to be kicked off NL. NOT EVERYONE WHO SHARES A DIFFERENT OPINION FROM YOURS IS YORUBA. An adult would know this.

10 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:

Bleep the zoo..

Same goes for fanatics like you. You, together with the children need to be kicked out of NL.

6 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 23, 2015
AfricanGod2:

Same goes for fanatics like you. You, together with the children need to be kicked out of NL.
old hag grin

Go to hell angry

2 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Macelliot(m): 3:53pm On May 23, 2015
WONDERS
Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:
old hag grin

Go to hell angry

Pointless. undecided

5 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by egift(m): 4:08pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:
story for the gods grin

that's why i said referendum or war.

Tell that to the UN or Scotland...

when it happens you will eat your word's...
nigga.

How many Centuries did the Scots waited? How many death was recorded? For me, we are better off developing our communities than plotting how to destroy it.

And more importantly, you can't be posturing as a visitor in your own home and expect other members of the household to keep treating you as equal stakeholder.

All the negative disposition from people like you will make it very difficult for other Nigerians to embrace you wholeheartedly. Nigeria is the one and only country of Ndigbo and we are not going elsewhere. Be proud and Patriotic citizen.

2 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 23, 2015
AfricanGod2:

Pointless. undecided
"Really? I think I'm quite allergic to it.
Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

How many Centuries did the Scots waited? How many death was recorded? For me, we are better off developing our communities than plotting how to destroy it.

And more importantly, you can't be posturing as a visitor in your own home and expect other members of the household to keep treating you as equal stakeholder.

All the negative disposition from people like you will make it very difficult for other Nigerians to embrace you wholeheartedly. Nigeria is the one and only country of Ndigbo and we are not going elsewhere. Be proud and Patriotic citizen.

egift:

I am a rational man, but haven't
you heard? i'm also insane. It
gives me a unique perspective
on things.

sorry i burnt my Nigeria i.d two years ago.....
and don't ever call me a Nigerian.

after your good for nothing fellow northern idiots almost wipe out my family.

give me a good reason why i should support a murdering pillaging scum of the human race,bunch of dogs and baboons.

until there's justice for #2011 victims... i am in for the destruction of this contraption called Nigeria.

Everyone who wants the end of this contraption has a reason for it.
mine's injustice.
i don't mind nuking this shit.

Now tell how does it feel to see your family butchered like a cow?

will you still dance to the tune of one Nigeria?

stop being a dick head and think rationally.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by egift(m): 4:27pm On May 23, 2015
Also Governors must collaborate to engage on collective project that of shared interest.

1 Like

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 23, 2015
Yeah, just like Jerry Igbokwe another 'igbo man' that feels he knows better than the rest Igbos, op why don't you write the way forward for other ethnic groups, every Tom Dick and Harry in d habit of advising Igbos. If I may ask what's the basis of this piece of advice (shit). Because u supported APC and they won election has suddenly given u this 'superiority complex'. Keep basking on borrowed euphoria, enjoy while they clap for you. As if it is only Igbos that needs bridge building in this nation.

6 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by egift(m): 4:29pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:
on things.

give me a good reason why i should support a murdering pillaging scum of the human race,bunch of dogs and baboons.

until there's justice for #2011 victims... i am in for the destruction of this contraption called Nigeria.

mine's injustice.

Nice incoherent Rants. NEXT! grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

Nice incoherent Rants. NEXT! grin grin grin grin
yea for someone with fufu for brain grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

Peace means nothing without
freedom and justice..
so eat your poo

2 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Antivirus92(m): 4:54pm On May 23, 2015
egift u need a "confab" in your life. stop mentioning Igbo while posting nonsense
Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 23, 2015
egift:

2. Preserve Our Heritage

- Egift

banza shegge .

1 Like

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by SOUNDKING: 5:13pm On May 23, 2015
customized07:
my brother i no know what that person have with Ndi Igbo,nawa o

1 Like

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Desola(f): 5:14pm On May 23, 2015
Fucck indigbo mehn!

3 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Beremx(f): 5:20pm On May 23, 2015
Front page lalasticlala
Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 23, 2015
Desola:
Fucck indigbo mehn!

fu ck you too ,namaa

3 Likes

Re: The Way Forward For Ndigbo In The Current Dispensation by SOUNDKING: 5:23pm On May 23, 2015
Chappie:

on things.

mine's injustice.

my brother don't burder so much we have them in our compas,it is one of those foools that eats the debris from one Nigeria fraud.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be The First To Download Full Video Of President Buhari's Inaugural Speech / Revealed: Abuja Was Part Of Igboland / Buhari's Scorecard. No.25 Is Very Commendable, Almost Made Me Cry.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.