Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,984 members, 7,952,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner (1949 Views)

Oyo Commissioner Of Police Consoles Bereaved Man, Gives Him Motorcycle (photo) / Political Thugs Attack Oyo Commissioner And INEC Officials / Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by expertman(m): 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2013
Police beat up Oyo Commissioner

Oyo State Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Alhaji Majekodunmi Aborode, got a dose of brutality at the weekend when policemen attached to Akobo Police Station, Ibadan, descended on him and beat him black and blue. He was also detained for five hours.

His offence was daring to obstruct traffic flow while the monthly sanitation exercise was going on in the state and also for beating up a police Inspector who challenged him.

But image-maker of Oyo State Police Command, Miss Olabisi Okuwobi, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), stated that the commissioner was actually the one who assaulted the police Inspector, “tore his uniform, destroyed his rank and made the crest on his beret fell off.”

Narrating his nasty experience to newsmen on Sunday, Aborode explained that he was on patrol of the state to monitor the monthly environmental cleaning exercise when he got to Akobo bridge area where some cleaners were evacuating heaps of refuse.

“As clearing of the refuse was on, a police inspector emerged from nowhere, and ordered that we should leave the place, claiming that the car was causing traffic congestion, when indeed there was no vehicular movement at that time.

“The police Inspector threatened to deflate the tyres of the vehicle, if we did not leave. True to his threat, he went ahead to deflate the tyres. And at this point, my police orderly went to caution him against his action only for him (Inspector) to deal a serious blow on the innocent young man. It was at this point that I alighted from the car to rescue my orderly.

“Immediately the police officer, who was already drunk at that time saw me, he pounced on me and dealt a blow into my forehead and destroyed my eye glasses. When the people around started cautioning him that he was assaulting a state commissioner, he came to his senses and wanted to run, at that point I held him and told one of my aides to run to the DPO to report the matter,” the commissioner stated.

He, however, disclosed that one of the police officers in the patrol team had radioed the DPO “telling him a different side of the story.”

“Even without hearing from me, the DPO, who I learnt, is anti-Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) government in the state ordered that I be put in the cell, occupied by hardened criminals with my orderly for five good hours. Despite the fact that ACP Lakanu had called him to intimate him that I was a serving commissioner in the state.

“How could I be treated this way for serving my people. I have lived in the UK for over 15 years. This has never happened. This country is a nightmare,” the commissioner added.

But in her reaction to the incident, Okuwobi stated that the commissioner deserved the treatment he got, contending that the commissioner went beyond his limit by assaulting a senior police officer.

“We should be the one running to the press over the assault on one of our officers by the commissioner. The commissioner was never assaulted by the police officer who was carrying out his lawful duty. In fact, if not for the fact that there was no court session on Saturday, he would have been arraigned immediately for engaging in an act unbecoming of a person of his status.

“The officer that challenged him was not just a police man but a senior police officer. So, while performing his legal duty as a commissioner in the state, he should not as well be engaged in illegalities. He was said to have caused obstruction on the road on the environmental sanitation day and when the officer told him to move his vehicle from the place, he moved close to him, dragged him, tore his uniform, destroyed his rank and the crest on his beret fell off,” the police image-maker alleged.

She said the command would go ahead to arraign the commissioner for assault of a police officer to serve as a lesson to other public office holders in the country...

Source ================ http://cybernewsupdate.com/police-beat-up-oyo-commissioner/
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 01, 2013
grin grin this is funny. Our leaders are always thinking that they are above the law. He has no immunity, I wonder why he chosed to beat a police officer. He should be charged for assault and affray. 15 solid years behind the bar for Mr. Commisioner

2 Likes

Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by gramci: 2:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
This is what you get when you make a quasi NURTW oga a commissioner cheesy
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 01, 2013
grin cheesy
gramci: This is what you get when you make quasi NURTW oga a commissioner cheesy
by now the man head go don cooldown like ice water. He dey form oga when na gun sure pass. He don ever hear say Dangote beat police? I dey laugh him here. heheheeheh

1 Like

Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by kobenol(m): 2:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
There are clearly two sides to this very story...as always. I'd have preferred an eye-witness account.
However, this narrative clearly shows that each side took laws into their own hands. Both the commissioner and the police.
But in her reaction to the incident, Okuwobi stated that the commissioner deserved the treatment he got, contending that the commissioner went beyond his limit by assaulting a senior police officer.
“We should be the one running to the press over the assault on one of our officers by the commissioner. The commissioner was never assaulted by the police officer who was carrying out his lawful duty.

“The police Inspector threatened to deflate the tyres of the vehicle, if we did not leave. True to his threat, he went ahead to deflate the tyres. And at this point, my police orderly went to caution him against his action only for him (Inspector) to deal a serious blow on the innocent young man. It was at this point that I alighted from the car to rescue my orderly.
I hardly believe the version of events from either side...They kölömbïï'd the story...mumu times mumu...all na d same d same...**in Lagbaja's tones**
It remains unclear who threw the first blow though....the "wickeder".
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Ifetex(m): 2:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
Action film
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by takedat(m): 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
Two wrongs don't make a right, the commissioner shouldn't have thrown decorum to the wind by engaging some overzealous and irresponsible police officers in fisticuffs. The man is the commissioner for environment and Monitoring the sanitation exercise is part of his responsibility. And how come the police are complaining that he obstructed traffic when we all know that there's no vehicular movement during sanitation? Why didn't the commissioner go with his official car cos I am so sure no policeman would have the effrontery to deflate the tyres of a government vehicle especially the one senior government officials drive?
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by IGBOSON1: 2:42pm On Jun 01, 2013
He had it coming.....the law is no respecter of persons. Pity our honourable Commissioner had to learn of this fact the hard way! smiley
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by otokx(m): 3:43pm On Jun 01, 2013
but how can a car obstruct traffic on an environmental sanitation day? Is the Nigerian police now an arm of PDP? The IG should investigate this matter promptly?
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Garrithe1st: 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
D two sides of the matter get as dem be sha....

One side get "K-leg", while the other side get "kobo-leg".

So which one man go choose??
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by touch4mony: 4:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
if u hv had a case against a police officer thats when u kw the kind of police we have in nigeria,am not from oyo state but come to think of it any day that is clean up there is usually no movement so where did the traffic appear from that no1 lie, the police man nvr new that the man in qtn is a commisioner on environmental what ever and his jst doing his work but u kw own nigeria police they say b pass charges try get issues with 1 and u will kw if the commisioner is lying or the police man.

1 Like

Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Pygru: 4:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
grin grin
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by FSU: 5:05pm On Jun 01, 2013
He unlawfully blocked the road and proceeded to beat up a law enforcement agent
See thuggery now. SW and this malaise. Seems incurable
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 01, 2013
I need someone to confirm this bizarre story for me undecided
How can an anti-PDP police commisioner endorse the assault of an ACN member?
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 01, 2013
Narrating his nasty experience to newsmen on Sunday, Aborode explained that he was on patrol of the state to monitor the monthly environmental cleaning exercise when he got to Akobo bridge area where some cleaners were evacuating heaps of refuse.

“As clearing of the refuse was on, a police inspector emerged from nowhere, and ordered that we should leave the place, claiming that the car was causing traffic congestion, when indeed there was no vehicular movement at that time.

“Immediately the police officer, who was already drunk at that time saw me, he pounced on me and dealt a blow into my forehead and destroyed my eye glasses. When the people around started cautioning him that he was assaulting a state commissioner, he came to his senses and wanted to run, at that point I held him and told one of my aides to run to the DPO to report the matter,” the commissioner stated.

He, however, disclosed that one of the police officers in the patrol team had radioed the DPO “telling him a different side of the story.”

“Even without hearing from me, the DPO, who I learnt, is anti-Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) government in the state ordered that I be put in the cell, occupied by hardened criminals with my orderly for five good hours. Despite the fact that ACP Lakanu had called him to intimate him that I was a serving commissioner in the state.

“How could I be treated this way for serving my people. I have lived in the UK for over 15 years. This has never happened. This country is a nightmare,” the commissioner added.

I would think that a commissioner of environmental whatever should be free to move around in his state and monitor the clean up exercise going on
No?
Why did they assault him in this manner
This is wrong

How can they accuse him of obstructing traffic when there should be no traffic at that time In the first instance
I believe the commissioner's version of the story
It makes sense

Biko pack your load and return to the UK before they send assassins to turn your wife into a widow
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by texaco1: 5:43pm On Jun 01, 2013
careytommy: I need someone to confirm this bizarre story for me undecided
How can an anti-PDP police commisioner endorse the assault of an ACN member?
my thought exactly.i have been pondering on this .the story doesnt make sense .anti pdp beating a acn commisioner in an acn state?
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by mekaboy(m): 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
Nigerian police have moved from law enforcement to lawless enforcement. Enforcing lawlessness in our society.

There is no movement on sanitation day, so even if the commissioner for environment decides to park in the middle of the road that day, it is allowed.

If we don't set up an agency to monitor police brutality in this country, we will keep having casualty. This is how they beat up and shot a doctor after ombatse cult dealt with them.
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Wendyslim(f): 6:45pm On Jun 01, 2013
Season 1. Shameless pple tongue
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by funnyx(m): 6:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
Anyone who believes in Nigerian police story would believe that father Xmas truly exists. grin grin Nigerian police are even worsr than armed robbers!
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Teecov: 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2013
In oyo state, we have commissioner for water resources and another commissioner for environment and habitat, there is no commissioner for environment and water resources. This news is old and also Hon majekodunmi aborode was commissioner under Alao Akala regime.
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by texaco1: 7:25pm On Jun 01, 2013
Teecov: In oyo state, we have commissioner for water resources and another commissioner for environment and habitat, there is no commissioner for environment and water resources. This news is old and also Hon majekodunmi aborode was commissioner under Alao Akala regime.
that is the truth , aborode was the commissioner for environment during akala time how come he is still the commissioner in acn ajimobi time
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by yomalex(m): 7:29pm On Jun 01, 2013
this is very stale news from over 2 years ago. For better news head over to www.alexoludiya.com
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Teecov: 7:31pm On Jun 01, 2013
The present commissioner for environment and habitat is Hon Lowo Obisesan.
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:36pm On Jun 01, 2013
gramci: This is what you get when you make a quasi NURTW oga a commissioner cheesy
dude, ur brain is not for decoration. Read d article and use ur brain. Ok?
*sighs* kids of today
Re: Police Beat Up Oyo Commissioner by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: dude, ur brain is not for decoration. Read d article and use ur brain. Ok?
*sighs* kids of today

lol

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Desperate To Bomb South-east – Igbo Leaders. / Imo Leaders Reject APC / Brief Facts About Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.