Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,203 members, 7,811,543 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads (11866 Views)

Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola / Jonathan To Be Impeached Over Nassarawa Crisis / Gradual Transformation Of Nigerian Infrastructure; Focus On Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 3:15am On Jun 03, 2013

CITING abuse of power, the Lagos State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Sunday urged the State House of Assembly to commence impeachment moves against Governor Babatunde Fashola over plans to collect tolls on roads in the state, especially on the new Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge.

In a statement, the Publicity Secretary of the party, Taofik Gani noted that Fashola had on Democracy Day shocked announced plans to commence another tolling on Lagos roads especially the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge.

But in a swift reaction, the state Publicity Secretary of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Mr. Joe Igbokwe has dismissed the PDP’s call for Fashola’s impeachment, describing it as baseless and lacking in merit.

He said Fashola’s administration had raised the standard of governance in the state “to such an extent that other governors including the PDP-led states now look up to Lagos for development plans in their states. That is why Fashola is being referred to as headmaster among the governors.”

According to Taofik: “It was immoral to allow the governor toll roads that are wholly built with taxpayers’ monies.

“Even the ongoing tolling of the Lekki-Epe Road that the lawmakers acquiesced to is morally wrong as they know well that a project ought to be completed and delivered before it can be paid for. In this instance, the tolling has started whereas the actual design and benefits from the said road have not even been completed which is exploitation.”

Insisting that this was high time the state legislators stood for what was right by removing the governor, Taofik said, “the lawmakers must find their ways back into the hearts of the people and particularly to prove to them that they are not stooges and puppets of the governor and the only way to prove this is to stop the tolling of the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge. As a matter of fact, they must also commence the probe of the alleged N29 billion spent to construct the said bridge.”

He added that the conception that Lagos was in bondage of a business syndicate ably aided and abetted by Fashola could be put straight at this time “if the lawmakers remained resolute and rejected the tolling of the bridge. They must also at this point curtail Fashola’s arrogant posture in the governance of the state.

“There is serious need for the Lagos House of Assembly to do a holistic review of all the anti-people policies by Fashola and find ways to reverse them.

The party added: “Fashola’s imperialist system has pauperised so many people in Lagos and the time to stop it is now. The desperation to commence the tolling of the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge is indeed immoral, exploitative and further gives credence to the suspicion that even the purported repairs of some Federal Government roads in the state are indeed inflated to make extra profits into some private pockets.

Igbokwe also cautioned the PDP against the implications of inciting the people against the government, saying that “Lagos has never had the type of positive development being witnessed under the present administration.”

Guardian

Fashola's democracy dividend for Lagosians - more tolls, taxes & levies.
As if the tax burden reflected in massively increased IGR is not already enough on the over-taxed people of Lagos.

Is the Lagos PDP waking up from its slumber to ADEQUATELY challenge Fashola's inhumane policies towards the tax payers of the state

I sure hope so as they need to also play OPPOSITION politics at the state and even LGA levels to constantly expose the Achilles heel of this Tax & Steal government by Fashola that robs the masses to pay the elites.
I hope PDP in other states will emulate this laudable initiative and constantly investigate and highlight the bad deeds of the pseudo-progressives in the Association of Conmen in Nigeria, ACN

19 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by ekoilee: 3:36am On Jun 03, 2013

11 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 03, 2013
Good roads. Promises delivered. Too much cars n lorries on Lagos roads. Hence the taxes. Hope they've started collecting environmental pollution taxes too?! It's compulsory.
Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by koruji(m): 4:02am On Jun 03, 2013
These jokers have no shame at all.

[size=14pt]Under a PDP government that project would never see the light of day, but the money would be spent.[/size]

Everybody on the planet, except the eggheads in PDP, know that roads like this one are tolled because it provides a specific convenience to road users, to maintain it and to fund other regular infrastructure programs of the government.

A state government is commissioning first of kind bridge in West Africa, federal government is commissioning "re-modeled taxi-park" airports. Need anybody tell you which party produced each of these.

May the good lord please relieve Nigeria of the curse of PDP in 2015.

anonimi:

Fashola's democracy dividend for Lagosians - more tolls, taxes & levies.
As if the tax burden reflected in massively increased IGR is not already enough on the over-taxed people of Lagos.

Is the Lagos PDP waking up from its slumber to ADEQUATELY challenge Fashola's inhumane policies towards the tax payers of the state

I sure hope so as they need to also play OPPOSITION politics at the state and even LGA levels to constantly expose the Achilles heel of this Tax & Steal government by Fashola that robs the masses to pay the elites.
I hope PDP in other states will emulate this laudable initiative and constantly investigate and highlight the bad deeds of the pseudo-progressives in the Association of Conmen in Nigeria, ACN

31 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by dayokanu(m): 4:59am On Jun 03, 2013

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by maasoap(m): 7:22am On Jun 03, 2013
Lagos State PDP only exists on pages of paper. If not, this is the best time for them to become a ruling party in the state. Fashola's policies are anti-masses. Imagine this newly built bridge, no commercial bikes are allowed but power bikes are allowed. commercial buses are not allowed. Slums owned by the masses are destroyed only for mansions for the affluents to spring up. He used commercial bikes for election campaign and after election, seized them, grind them and sold them without any compensation!

17 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by jjcbuthot: 7:48am On Jun 03, 2013
See these hopelessly corrupt illiterates. They don't know government tolls for different reasons all of which make sense.

- raise more money for the state. The richer the state the better
- to reduce traffic on the road/bridge.
- a way of paying for the construction of the bridge. This is massive but very laudable project by a state government.

If we have all the roads we need as a country and the roads are tolled, are we not better off than not having roads?

Why do you pay school fees in government schools?

Why do you pay for electricity?

Even in the US, people pay toll to use some roads and bridges.

And S. Korea, tolls are in grades.

Are these good for nothing group of charlatans saying they don't pay tax in the US, etc?

Who should be impeached? GEJ or Fashola?

23 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 03, 2013
People in living in PDP led states, how Una dey cope

2 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 8:26am On Jun 03, 2013
maasoap: Lagos State PDP only exists on pages of paper. If not, this is the best time for them to become a ruling party in the state. Fashola's policies are anti-masses. Imagine this newly built bridge, no commercial bikes are allowed but power bikes are allowed. commercial buses are not allowed. Slums owned by the masses are destroyed only for mansions for the affluents to spring up. He used commercial bikes for election campaign and after election, seized them, grind them and sold them without any compensation!

Slowly the truth about ACN's deception that is wrapped in fake progressive clothing is being unravelled for all to see.
I hope PDP continues its OPPOSITION tactics in Lagos and other states controlled by other parties in a very aggressive way. It can only augur well for our democracy.

Competition is always good for the consumers. Just see what has happened to our mobile phone sector.

12 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Jeezyy(m): 8:57am On Jun 03, 2013
...and if he's impeached is the next gov. going to do any better...abegi make we hear word jor

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by imsuboi(m): 8:59am On Jun 03, 2013
Who else thinks PDP are a bunch of clueless and ret.arded individuals whose only aim is never to see this country progress.

HIT THE "LIKE" BUTTON

100 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by redcliff: 9:00am On Jun 03, 2013
maasoap: Lagos State PDP only exists on pages of paper. If not, this is the best time for them to become a ruling party in the state. Fashola's policies are anti-masses. Imagine this newly built bridge, no commercial bikes are allowed but power bikes are allowed. commercial buses are not allowed. Slums owned by the masses are destroyed only for mansions for the affluents to spring up. He used commercial bikes for election campaign and after election, seized them, grind them and sold them without any compensation!

Mr or whatever you call yourself? The city of lagos isn't meant for the poor
Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by magicfrogg: 9:01am On Jun 03, 2013
LMAO!!!!! With this kinda comment there shouldnt e anything called PDP Lagos.

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 9:01am On Jun 03, 2013
Jeezyy: ...and if he's impeached is the next gov. going to do any better...abegi make we hear word jor

Life is about PROBABILITIES.
If the next governor knows why his/her predecessor was impeached what is the LIKELIHOOD that he will do the same mistake

a) 0%
b) 25%
c) 50%
d) 100%

Hope you get the gist or I should break it down further for you?

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by naptu2: 9:06am On Jun 03, 2013
[size=14pt]Motororists laud Lagos govt over Lekki-Ikoyi bridge[/size]

Written by  ⁠ ⁠ Monday, 03 June 2013 00:00

MANY of Lagos residents have lauded the Lagos State government over the new Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge, which was opened for use to motorists last week.

Many of those who spoke with newsmen welcomed the project and commended the Governor Babatunde Fashola-led administration for its construction.

Some of the motorists, who passed through the bridge, in separate interviews with newsmen, urged others to pay the requisite toll because, according to them, good infrastructure like the bridge could only be provided in quicker time through public private partnership investment.

Mr Agore Aboh, one of the motorists, said “if similar things can be happening in our country, we would be happy. That was why I decided to ply the road, pay the toll and encourage others to pay.”

Another respondent, Chief Adolo Okotie Eboh, described it as “an evidence of good governance and hoped that other states would emulate the state government.”

Mr Bambo Ibidapo-Obe said: “I love the new bridge. I think it is a new development. I have been waiting for them for a very long time to open it. I am glad it is opened; I made efforts to make sure I pass it today on the first day it opened and I am very impressed. It is a very beautiful road. I look forward to Lagos State doing a lot more of this for us.”

Another motorist who plied the bridge after it was opened, Mr Valentine Aboh, said the project was people-oriented, adding that its benefit was for the users of the roads, not the government.

“We the masses appreciate it and no matter how much they ask us to pay, we will pay the toll. Let the good things be replicated around the whole state, so that people will have easy movement to go around unhindered for their businesses,” he said.

Mr Dare Ajayi said “this is good infrastructure. The quality of the road speaks for itself, well built and the aesthetic value as well is very visible. Once again, I congratulate Lagosians and congratulate the governor for such an initiative.”

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/news/item/13458-motororists-laud-lagos-govt-over-lekki-ikoyi-bridge.html

6 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 9:08am On Jun 03, 2013
imsu.boi:
Who else thinks PDP are a bunch of clueless and retarded individuals whose only aim is never to see this country progress.

HIT THE "LIKE" BUTTON

Will you be kind enough to explain to us why you think "PDP are a bunch of clueless and retarded individuals whose only aim is never to see this country progress." as it relates to this story of raising accountability questions on spending N29b of Lagos tax payesr money on 1.5km bridge, irrespective of whether the bridge itself is FANCIFUL or not

Those who "hit the like button" of your post are free to respond to the question as well.
Thanks.

14 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Desola(f): 9:08am On Jun 03, 2013

There is nothing wrong in carrying your commercial motorcycle put for head and allele to your village. We are sending you the message subtly now, you no wan hear, sooner or later una go hear am.

Lagos is not for never do wells from the other side of the Niger!

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by redcliff: 9:10am On Jun 03, 2013
imsu.boi:
Who else thinks PDP are a bunch of clueless and retarded individuals whose only aim is never to see this country progress.

HIT THE "LIKE" BUTTON

Dislike!

10 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by mcevans1(m): 9:11am On Jun 03, 2013
Eko Oni Baje ooo!! O Baje ti

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Inik(m): 9:12am On Jun 03, 2013
This reaction is coming too late in the day, they should have said this earlier. The Acn government in Lagos is a government of the elites. Lagosians should just bear the tolling for the two remaining years so that come 2015 they will kick away the Acn taskmasters and elect a people's oriented government. Looking at the situation objectively Fashola should be allowed to complete his tenure at least he has not done badly in the area of infrastructure.

7 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by justsayemma(m): 9:12am On Jun 03, 2013
Pls b4 people will pass judgments base on political parties,let's compare Lagos in d past 8yrs,to other oil rich ND states in d past 14yrs.travel 2 other states,once u leave d capital city,there's no meaningful development else where,yet they ve governors all dis yle.I left Lag 4 years ago,n I must confess dat Lag has really changed positively,include Lagosians attitude.Fashola is not a saint,bt he stil remain d best.

8 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by imsuboi(m): 9:13am On Jun 03, 2013
anonimi:

Will you be kind enough to explain to us why you think "PDP are a bunch of clueless and retarded individuals whose only aim is never to see this country progress." as it relates to this story of raising accountability questions on spending N29b of Lagos tax payesr money on 1.5km bridge, irrespective of whether the bridge itself is FANCIFUL or not

Those who "hit the like button" of your post are free to respond to the question as well.
Thanks.

Dude, have you ever tried explaining colors to a blind man?

In this case, you're the "blind man" and trying to explain "colors" to you would be a total waste of time!

I've got better things to do

9 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 9:15am On Jun 03, 2013
Desola:

There is nothing wrong in carrying your commercial motorcycle put for head and allele to your village. We are sending you the message subtly now, you no wan hear, sooner or later una go hear am.

Lagos is not for never do wells from the other side of the Niger!

Are you sayimg all the Area boys on whose shoulders Tinubu first rode to power as well as the multitudes of omo-onile, agberos, NURTW members etc who live in Mushin, Ijora-Badia, Badagry, Epe, Isheri etc are also "from the other side of the Niger"

I thought I will never see a really childish post here but I guess I was wrong!!!

8 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by imsuboi(m): 9:15am On Jun 03, 2013
redcliff:

Dislike!

You're as clueless as a new born child wailing in a midwife's arms!

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by naptu2: 9:17am On Jun 03, 2013
Next is the Osa Lagoon Bridge (that's also a cable-stayed bridge). Lagos is moving forward.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 9:19am On Jun 03, 2013
imsu.boi:

Dude, have you ever tried explaining colors to a blind man?

In this case, you're the "blind man" and trying to explain "colors" to you would be a total waste of time!

I've got better things to do

And I was hoping you were really a CREATIVE GENIUS only to find out I made a big mistake.
Ordinary explain colours to blind man na im dey put you off but you sabi imagine make dem like your one line post for "clueless PDP" calling out Fashola to account for N29b on 1.5km bridge paid for by taxpayers who still must pay substantial tolls to use it.
SMH!!!

5 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Delafruita(m): 9:22am On Jun 03, 2013
have you been on the moon since?commercial bikes have been banned since on major roads.besides when motorcycles were banned,there was a clause,any motorcycle less than 200cc arent allowed on major roads in lagos.
Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Opey4luv(m): 9:24am On Jun 03, 2013
Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Delafruita(m): 9:25am On Jun 03, 2013
anonimi:

Thanks.
the second niger bridge is less than 600metres and has continually been budgetted for yet it hasnt seen the light of day

10 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Delafruita(m): 9:28am On Jun 03, 2013
anonimi:

And I was hoping you were really a CREATIVE GENIUS only to find out I made a big mistake.
Ordinary explain colours to blind man na im dey put you off but you sabi imagine make dem like your one line post for "clueless PDP" calling out Fashola to account for N29b on 1.5km bridge paid for by taxpayers who still must pay substantial tolls to use it.
SMH!!!
my friend,what exactly is your point?that road is commercially viable.it cuts the journey from lekki to ikoyi by almost 80%.besides those that will use the bridge would ordinarily have had to pay toll at admiralty.however,they can enjoy the benefit of lesser time on the road and a little bump in their toll.what is your problem with that?

1 Like

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by anonimi: 9:29am On Jun 03, 2013
Delafruita:
the second niger bridge is less than 600metres and has continually been budgetted for yet it hasnt seen the light of day

You may wish to create a thread on that so those who are interested can contribute to your debate.

This is about Fashola's profligacy against the toiling, hard-working, over-taxed people of Lagos state with VERY LITTLE benefits to show for it.
#FriendlyAdvice.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Wants Fashola Impeached Over Tolls On Roads by Delafruita(m): 9:32am On Jun 03, 2013
Inik: This reaction is coming too late in the day, they should have said this earlier. The Acn government in Lagos is a government of the elites. Lagosians should just bear the tolling for the two remaining years so that come 2015 they will kick away the Acn taskmasters and elect a people's oriented government. Looking at the situation objectively Fashola should be allowed to complete his tenure at least he has not done badly in the area of infrastructure.
it is now my understanding that those complaining dont even know where the bridge begins and where it ends.they dont even know why those that will use the bridge are very happy despite the toll.they dont know the usefulness of the bridge.they dont know that those that will use that bridge will be very happy to pay the toll because of the convenience.is it every lagosian that will use the bridge?NO.but that that will use it will gladly pay the toll thus generating more funds for the government to do other projects.

the government is simply taxing the rich more and people are still conplaining.if governemnt does the bridge without tolling,people will say fashola is elitist and provide facilities for the rich only,now he provides the facilities for the rich knowing fully well they can pay te toll and then he makes them pay for the convenience the facility provides and some people are still screaming hullabaloo

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayemi Reveals Why Governors Insist On Creation Of State Police In Nigeria / PIB Scales First Reading In Senate / FG Dealing With Entire Igbo, Not Kanu – Sen Victor Umeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.