Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

@vicjustice And Other Nigerians Based In Ireland. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / @vicjustice And Other Nigerians Based In Ireland. (1398 Views)

Nigerians In Ireland ''Dublin'' Etc, Lets Meet Here / Fake Marriages In Ireland: Nigerians Involvement / Nigerians In Ireland,how are you Coping With The Recession And The Eu Bailout? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

@vicjustice And Other Nigerians Based In Ireland. by darren20(m): 12:15pm On May 01, 2008
Hi,
I've noticed a trend among Nigerian living in ireland that a large percentage of them now drive cabs,and i often wonder why?I've had to discuss with a lot of them lately,and i discover that many are quite educated (degree holders) and are entitled to work and live in ireland.some used to be bankers in Nigeria while some used to be lecturers,I think Ireland had make it very easy for anyone determined to get on professionally provided they have necessary skills.I still don't know or I've not been able to come to the conclusion why almost all Nigerians want to drive taxi,Please enlighten me.
Re: @vicjustice And Other Nigerians Based In Ireland. by jaybee3(m): 12:27pm On May 01, 2008
Self employed ringing bells.
Income tax nearly nonexistence
Quite sure they are probably illegal cab drivers meaning they can still claim benefits from the government
Although having said all the above, an average black cab driver in london earns over £40k per annum
Re: @vicjustice And Other Nigerians Based In Ireland. by Vicjustice: 1:10pm On May 01, 2008
darren20:

Hi,
I've noticed a trend among Nigerian living in ireland that a large percentage of them now drive cabs,and i often wonder why?I've had to discuss with a lot of them lately,and i discover that many are quite educated (degree holders) and are entitled to work and live in ireland.some used to be bankers in Nigeria while some used to be lecturers,I think Ireland had make it very easy for anyone determined to get on professionally provided they have necessary skills.I still don't know or I've not been able to come to the conclusion why almost all Nigerians want to drive taxi,Please enlighten me.

It's actually remarkable that a lot of Nigerians are self employed; driving Taxis, Commuter Buses, and even Trains, and you're right to say that most (if not all) of them are well educated.
   It's a fact that Ireland creates opportunities for skilled workers and give the appropriate documented people the rights to exploit their industries, but that does not make them accept every certificate from every country.
   So, these well educated Nigerians who find themselves working as Taxi, Bus or Train Drivers are mainly people who studied in Nigeria or other countries which certificates are not acceptable in Ireland: According to the system, they are required to "up-grade" their certificates to Irish approved standard even though they tend to be better in their field of professions than the Irish people.
   I know of of a guy who used to be an engineer in Nigeria, but he now works with Iarnród Éireann as a train conductor/checker.
   Like this train conductor, many Nigerians intended to work for some time to establish themselves and their families before they'd then face the challenge of "upgrading" education or courses that would put them in their original field of proffessions, but they eventually get use to what was supposed to be their temporal jobs and before they know it, they are already settled with it: Mind you, many of these guys are fairly paid.
   So, you're absolutely correct in your observation, but the story is not the same with the Irish (or the EU/EEA) educated Nigerians and also with the Nigerians that converted their Nigerian certificate to the EU/EEA "standard".

(1) (Reply)

I Want Cheap Flights From Lagos To Helsinki / Easyjet To Operate In Africa As Fastjet / Nigerian E-passport... Help Needed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.