Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security (1324 Views)

How To Stop Hausa/Fulani Ethnic Violence? (Suggestions) / Govt Terminates Ethnic Militia Pipeline Surveillance Contract / Ethnic Militia And The Future Of Democracy In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2013
A few days ago Mr President issued a warning statement to put OPC and MASSOB on alert regarding national security. Personally, I believe anyone advocating second term for the President does not wish Nigeria well and does not wish the President a long life. I say this for numerous reasons but primary to that is the issue of ethnic militia. Nobody has yet recognized or admitted that Fulani nomads are ethnic militias. Let me use an analogy to give it background.

Kolanut is in demand and used by all ethnic groups in Nigeria and even beyond the borders of this nation. Its production is in the West. It can therefore be said that Yorubas have a monopoly on kolanuts production. However, Yorubas are not a monopoly on kolanut trading. This can change! The change can occur involuntarily through market factors, or voluntarily by exacting political influence on the consumer market. Picture a scenario in which kolanut producers and suppliers are Yorubas and are registered members of OPC, which acts as their political shield and that, Yorubas in government, in police and in military are sympathetic to OPC.

Ijebu merchants had this model of trade monopoly in the 1800s and controlled the coastal waters and salt trade. They used their influence in royal courts and in Ogboni to suppress competition and exert political blockade against rival groups.

Fulani nomads are using the same model today, under the political umbrella of Miyetti Allah. Due to the presence of Fulani ethnics in top level positions of the various goverment parastatals and secutity agencies, Miyetti is accomodated and protected, and by extension the cow herders in its membership are given liberal room to violate the rights of others to protect the survival of its monopoly on beef production and supply.

Fulani cow herders are well armed, they carry sophisticated assault rifles and this advantage results in their victory everytime they attack a farming settlement. In each case, Miyetti is ever ready to blame their victim for the Fulani assault. Where did they get the assault weapons and why do they never attack and wipeout Fulani farm settlements? Why is it other ethnic groups (non-fulani) that they always pick a fight with? These nomads are militias in disguise covertly running the errands of Fulani ambition to conquer and own Nigeria. Fulani is exerting its political will and unconsciously, their victims are slowly and incrementally conditioned to yield to their brutal force.

There were far more occurrences and fatalities of fulani skirmishes than there has been bokoharam body counts in the last 7yrs. Why has it not occurred to anyone that Fulani nomads are ethnic militias? To top the negligence there is a bill in NASS to write into law a grazing reserve act that awards pastoralists right of way through indigenous lands of their victims and protects their presence and properties on these lands against the rights of native customs.

Judging from the current political landscape, it would be safe to say we will end up with two national parties fighting it out in 2015. It would be nice to understand how each of these parties intend to end insecurity, not just on the issue of bokoharam, MEND, OPC and MASSOB.....but as well on the perpetual killing of innocent farmers and their communities by Fulani nomads.

The party with a winning strategy gets my vote!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by SamIkenna: 12:17am On Jun 04, 2013
Don't you think one of the two 'mega-parties' has already pitched its tent with 'born-to-rule' proponents? I mean, its obvious one party is fighting Boko Haram, despite its supposedly flawed tactic, while the other is busy blaming the govt and the army for the surge in violence and the lack of quick victory over the terrorists. In fact, one of the two 'mega-parties' unofficial presidential flag-bearer just bared his mind recently. He unambiguously questioned why the FG is killing Boko Haram terrorists, yet I have no doubt you'll cast your vote for him come 2015.

Nwanne, if the alpha-male of the new mega-party is implicitly absolving known terrorists in broad daylight what do you think would happen when he mounts the saddle again? Oh, you think Miyetti Allah will cease to kill?

Incase you're wondering what my take is on this whole mess - I say lets forget about 2015 for now and convene SNC. If our daily unfolding events are anything to go by, then going forward with 2015 election with the existing born-to-rule structure, senseless terrorism, and undiluted and entrenched hate could spell the final doom to Nigeria.

The two parties are equally bad. The Far North is swinging with APC because they want power by all means, not because they think they have the solution to our problems. PDP is not much better.

Going forward without first changing the political structure is akin to driving in the dark with no headlight, a thing we're familiar with since 1967.

The day each group or region controls the destiny of its indigenes is the day Miyetti Allah will recognize a new Nigeria, until then PDP and APC wont do Jack.

5 Likes

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 3:17am On Jun 04, 2013
Sam_Ikenna: Don't you think one of the two 'mega-parties' has already pitched its tent with 'born-to-rule' proponents? I mean, its obvious one party is fighting Boko Haram, despite its supposedly flawed tactic, while the other is busy blaming the govt and the army for the surge in violence and the lack of quick victory over the terrorists. In fact, one of the two 'mega-parties' unofficial presidential flag-bearer just bared his mind recently. He unambiguously questioned why the FG is killing Boko Haram terrorists, yet I have no doubt you'll cast your vote for him come 2015.

Nwanne, if the alpha-male of the new mega-party is implicitly absolving known terrorists in broad daylight what do you think would happen when he mounts the saddle again? Oh, you think Miyetti Allah will cease to kill?

Incase you're wondering what my take is on this whole mess - I say lets forget about 2015 for now and convene SNC. If our daily unfolding events are anything to go by, then going forward with 2015 election with the existing born-to-rule structure, senseless terrorism, and undiluted and entrenched hate could spell the final doom to Nigeria.

The two parties are equally bad. The Far North is swinging with APC because they want power by all means, not because they think they have the solution to our problems. PDP is not much better.

Going forward without first changing the political structure is akin to driving in the dark with no headlight, a thing we're familiar with since 1967.

The day each group or region controls the destiny of its indigenes is the day Miyetti Allah will recognize a new Nigeria, until then PDP and APC wont do Jack.

None of the parties is Fulani-free. The VP is Fulani and PDP. I should not respond line by line to everything in your response but on the bolded, the change will occur through awareness.

I like your closing sentence and I agree. Police and Army are incapable of protecting any ethnic group. Each group must do for its citizens what guarantees their safety and security. The militias serve that interest and must be empowered as counter measures to invading assault, whether from government or rival ethnic groups. A look at Ombatse vs Police raises the importance of awareness and what a people must do to protect and survive in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 3:25am On Jun 04, 2013
At the electorate level, the interest to align and to mitigate risks is equally important and as a treaty for mutual guarantees of safety and survival on a national scale. The two, political alignment (party politics) and regional security (ethnic militia) are vital and a mandate on a leader that loves his people.
Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by masu: 6:37am On Jun 04, 2013
The truth remains that fulanis are the reason why nigeria are like this.
They have bought over to their side hausas,kanuris and other northern muslims. Even buyinsouthern muslims to their side.
They make other muslims everywhere in naija to blv they are fighting for them all even when its clear they are enemies that kill us all.

I still blv in the option of having fulani as number two man than having them as number one.
By omision or commision we as a people shall never vote in a fulani no matter the name he bears.
I hate pdp but as soon as Apc remains fulani strategic party i will yet vote in pdp untill snc is granted.

Write it down when 2015 comes around if Apc finaly choose a christian middle beltan with a muslim southerner the same core north will vote pdp bcus of Sambo.
We as a people dont see the fulani antics why?

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by masu: 6:45am On Jun 04, 2013
The worst mistake we as a people will make is to vote for buhari come 2015.

This guy is the president of miyeti allah for years how come he didnt change their views on other tribes of this great nation instead they become more and more brutal,
I blv he is secretly planing for something terrible.

When he said in his election promise that he is going to wipe away the state of origin and replace it with state of birth what do you think he has in mind.
So many mistake it with american idea of state of birth but this is simple to give fulanis a footstool down south.

If not why he refuse standing against northern gov that make their state a full sharia state in a secular country.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by SamIkenna: 6:59am On Jun 04, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

None of the parties is Fulani-free. The VP is Fulani and PDP. I should not respond line by line to everything in your response but on the bolded, the change will occur through awareness.

I like your closing sentence and I agree. Police and Army are incapable of protecting any ethnic group. Each group must do for its citizens what guarantees their safety and security. The militias serve that interest and must be empowered as counter measures to invading assault, whether from government or rival ethnic groups. A look at Ombatse vs Police raises the importance of awareness and what a people must do to protect and survive in Nigeria.

The bolded is true. My instinct tells me [i]Ombatse [/i]approach to conflict resolution is likely to be the future trend for many ethnic groups, especially minority groups. Its glaring our unitary and over-sized govt is not and will not, even in the near future, be capable of guaranteeing the survival of smaller groups against fatalistic and militant adventurers.

Right now Nigeria is a crazy jungle where only the strong-willed survives.
It doesn't have to be this way. But like I wrote earlier, its like we're all on a big bus driving in the dark with no headlight. One would expect any sane passenger to demand, or possibly force, the driver to pull over and fix the light rather than hand over to a co-driver. But as Nigerians, we keep believing that, somehow, the next driver will make it safely. Unfortunately there's no record that shows the he will, that's why I've refrained from condemning ethnic militias that mainly operate as backup security for their people.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by masu: 7:24am On Jun 04, 2013
The only option is when all tribes at same time stand up against fulanis.
Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 04, 2013
They're not a threat to national security, they're not organized and they don't have any political or religious demands.
They're just armed and illiterate cattle herders who can be properly checked if our security agencies were in order.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 7:35am On Jun 04, 2013
masu: The worst mistake we as a people will make is to vote for buhari come 2015.

This guy is the president of miyeti allah for years how come he didnt change their views on other tribes of this great nation instead they become more and more brutal,i
I blv he is secretly pkaning for something terrible.

When he said in his election promise that he is going to wipe away the state of origin and replace it with state of birth what do you think he has in his mind.
So many mistake it with american idea of state of birth but this is simple to give fulanis a footstool down south. If not why he refuse standing against northern gov that make their state a full sharia state in a secular country.

I dont want to talk too much here about individuals. We can pick any individual and there are things good and bad about him. It is not Buhari's job to protect the Yorubas and the Igbos and other minorities against the brutality of his Fulani kins. Those ethnics and their leaders have the moral and ethical duty to give guarantees of safety to their own people, however they choose to. Buhari is a Fulani leader and he is doing what he should rightly do, whether in Miyetti Allah or in party politics. He is not Igbo leader and he is not Yoruba leader.
Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 7:43am On Jun 04, 2013
J12: They're not a threat to national security, they're not organized and they don't have any political or religious demands.
They're just armed and illiterate cattle herders who can be properly checked if our security agencies were in order.

We have legislators in NASS who think exactly like you and share your views. I do not, and Im sure other participants on this thread will find you as equally illiterate as these cattle herders.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by DuduNegro: 7:45am On Jun 04, 2013
Sam_Ikenna:

The bolded is true. My instinct tells me [i]Ombatse [/i]approach to conflict resolution is likely to be the future trend for many ethnic groups, especially minority groups. Its glaring our unitary and over-sized govt is not and will not, even in the near future, be capable of guaranteeing the survival of smaller groups against fatalistic and militant adventurers.

Right now Nigeria is a crazy jungle where only the strong-willed survives.
It doesn't have to be this way. But like I wrote earlier, its like we're all on a big bus driving in the dark with no headlight. One would expect any sane passenger to demand, or possibly force, the driver to pull over and fix the light rather than hand over to a co-driver. But as Nigerians, we keep believing that, somehow, the next driver will make it safely. Unfortunately there's no record that shows the he will, that's why I've refrained from condemning ethnic militias that mainly operate as backup security for their people.

You got it, thats the bottom line!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by funnyx(m): 7:58am On Jun 04, 2013
Surely these fulani militia has to be dealt with, they are like cancer to our national unity and security.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Ethnic Militia & National Security by doncaster(m): 8:01am On Jun 04, 2013
Don't you think itz one of the dividends of "One Nigeria" but this time around the dividend favours one side against others.

(1) (Reply)

North Ready To Negotiate Over 2015 Presidential Election, Says Gov. Aliyu / Nigeria's Jack Buer - Abba Kyari Officer Extraordinaire / How £1billion Aid From The UK Is Used To Help Nigeria Join The Space Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.