Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,114 members, 7,953,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:47 PM

Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention (7535 Views)

Bamidele Aturu's Death Aided By The Same SILLY Doctors He Defended While Alive! / Bamidele Aturu Is Dead, Prominent Lagos Lawyer / Aturu Slams Fashola On Lagos Fire Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 6:03am On Jun 04, 2013
Lagos lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, on Monday threatened to sue the Department of State Security (DSS) over continuous detention of three Lebanese in connection with gun-running and terrorism allegations.

Aturu, who is the lawyer to the detained suspects, stressed in a letter to the Director General of DSS, that it was unlawful for the agency to keep his clients in custody.

The lead suspect, Mustapha Fawaz, who is the proprietor of Amigo Supermarket and the Wonderland Amusement Park both in Abuja, was arrested by DSS operatives on May 16, 2013, while the other two Lebanese citizens, Abdalah Tahini and Talal Rouda were arrested in Kano on May 17 on the same allegation.

On May 29, the foreigners were paraded before the press by the DSS, and are still in custody, while Amigo Supermarket was shut down on May 31.

But Aturu wants the DSS to either release the suspects or charge them to court, failure of which a suit would be filed.

According to the letter, a copy of which was obtained by Daily Independent, Aturu said: “Since their arrest, we have also been told they have been held incommunicado and been denied access to members of their families, lawyers and doctors. Perhaps, more worrisomely, no charge has been preferred against any of our clients in any court of law for any known offence.

“As officers in the temple of justice, it is our bounden duty to call your attention to certain fundamental rights of the clients that would appear to have been abridged by the actions of the security operatives in this instance. First, it is indubitable that under Nigerian law, suspects are presumed innocent until proven otherwise by a court of competent jurisdiction. Consequently, it is clear to us that our clients are entitled to be treated with all the dignities guaranteed by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria including but not limited to reasonable access to their lawyers, family members and their doctors.”

“Second, the law is inflexibly clear that a person arrested in an area having a court of competent jurisdiction within a radius of forty Kilometres such as Kano and Abuja cannot be detained beyond 24 hours without being charged with an offence. A cursory reading of section 35 of the Constitution and a plethora of judicial authorities, particularly those of the Supreme Court, puts this beyond any peradventure.

“In the circumstances, it is our instruction to demand, and we hereby so do, that you cause our clients to be released forthwith or that you prefer charges against them before a court of competent jurisdiction,” Aturu stressed.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/06/aturu-threatens-to-sue-dss-over-detention-of-fawaz-others/
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by iykak47: 6:11am On Jun 04, 2013
angry
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Omexonomy: 6:53am On Jun 04, 2013
What is the problem of nigeria. Lawyers will defend anybody that pays them good money even thoug the person ment evil. The best thing for him to have done is to make a case for reduce jail term. I think this aturu goat should be tie to one of those large bomb and move him close to fire.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 04, 2013
Even though d lawyer is right, my first reaction was anger at his threat. I wish he were not right. I for insult him and him lineage.

Kai! Maybe those rules concerning 24hrs detention etc, shouldn't hold for terrorism related offences tongue

1 Like

Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 04, 2013
Cheap publicity...a lawyer's delight
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by naptu2: 7:07am On Jun 04, 2013
This is one of the reasons why a state of emergency was declared in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa (suspension of some fundamental rights).

Aturu is right, by the way. As a dogged human rights campaigner, I'm sure he will fight it all the way. I just hope that the SSS can conclude investigations on time and charge the suspects to court.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by DuduNegro: 8:13am On Jun 04, 2013
Government has powers to detain these criminals indefinitely because there has been no precedence and the nature of their acts lean more toward conspiracy and imminent danger against the Nigerian sovereingty than it does a domestic breach of law.

First, are they citizens of Nigeria?

If they are not then they cannot enjoy any rights that Aturu is advocating for them. If they are then they should be charged for treasons. In either case, their situation is of extreme nature and must not be rushed into prosecution.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by ochejoseph(m): 8:23am On Jun 04, 2013
Oko_AGB: Even though d lawyer is right, my first reaction was anger at his threat. I wish he were not right. I for insult him and him lineage.

Kai! Maybe those rules concerning 24hrs detention etc, shouldn't hold for terrorism related offences tongue
Actually it does not hold for terrorism charges and the Aturu Guy knows it . The DSS could detain a suspect indefinitely
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Zet72(m): 9:26am On Jun 04, 2013
~ First, it is indubitable that under Nigerian law, suspects are presumed innocent until proven otherwise by a court of competent jurisdiction.

How I wish this part is true but unfortunately it isn't, The hour u are caught in the act it's either u are given aluu4 punishment or arrested by the law enforcement agent & confined in cell for as long as it would have taken u to serve ur jail sentence if convicted of the crime.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2013/06/aturu-threatens-to-sue-dss-over-detention-of-fawaz-others/[/quote]
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by donigspain(m): 9:39am On Jun 04, 2013
Aturu in Igbo language means sheep... Hope am right my people?gringringrin

6 Likes

Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 04, 2013
Although the Attorney is right, this is a clear case of Terrorism and possession of weapon of mass destruction and will not be treated as regular felony.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by ramaju: 9:50am On Jun 04, 2013
donigspain: Aturu in Igbo language means sheep... Hope am right my people? :\
This Mr. Aturu is a real aturu.

4 Likes

Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by skullz: 9:58am On Jun 04, 2013
foolish sheep angry
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Ajibel(m): 10:02am On Jun 04, 2013
Aturu Lwtmb
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by gramci: 10:07am On Jun 04, 2013
Arab money cheesy
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Theolar247(m): 10:08am On Jun 04, 2013
This Aturu man no even get shame at all, he dey do him job but I think he should have thought of dignity rather money chai!
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by hotwax: 10:09am On Jun 04, 2013
This is an issue of national security. This has nothing to do with regular criminal. It iss like America arresting Russian spy. They hide him in one cave and will be executed.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Theolar247(m): 10:12am On Jun 04, 2013
This Aturu man no even get shame at all, he dey do him job but I think he should have thought of dignity rather money chai!
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by andyanders: 10:15am On Jun 04, 2013
Aturu is just another name for Goat.

Let him allow these Lebanese to rust in jail.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Analyst42: 10:21am On Jun 04, 2013
Why are some Nigerians embarrasingly shameless? Imagine 3 Nigerians arrested in Lebanon wit same charges. Its d AALU 4 therapy dat wuld have been administered. In Lebanon, innocent Nigerians are being jailed & killed evryday & no one cares, but here, a Lebanese with terrorism links is STRONGLY being defended by a respectable lawyer. Its a shame. Meanwhile, security agents shld go to Beirut road in Kano, 90% of d shops there are owned & controlled by Lebanese. Who knows, they may find sometin new. Cheers
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by coolchimex: 10:22am On Jun 04, 2013
In my opinion, this Aturu guy is just following due process (make e no be like say him no take action because dem go don pay am him legal fees). However, due to the nature of what they were arrested for (Terrorism); they will not be released. If you give those dangerous people one millisecond, too bad. They will evaporate and there will be negative consequences for a lot of people in Kano and Abuja (terrorists always leave you a memory or a mark to grieve about).
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by thelastpope10: 10:25am On Jun 04, 2013
24hrs deetention does not apply to terrorism suspects. The lawyer does not know what he is talking about. He is just making noise. They might soon join him to his lebanese brothers in ayoko city
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by lacasa: 10:29am On Jun 04, 2013
Thee lawyer knows his job.

Lawless country indeed
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by emesv26(m): 10:30am On Jun 04, 2013
That is have the work of a lawyer is "money 4 hand back 4 ground"
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Okijajuju: 10:31am On Jun 04, 2013
No wonder his mother named him ATURU!! angry
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by sharpshap(m): 10:31am On Jun 04, 2013
Sounds like his name {ATURU HAUSA} he is a foolish lawyer so to speak. He is a sell out as well.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Lilimax(f): 10:33am On Jun 04, 2013
Okija juju: No wonder his mother named him ATURU!! angry
cheesy cheesy cheesy nnnmmmeeeehhhhh...
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 04, 2013
You wanna sue the whole nation huh? See you in court...!
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by andyanders: 10:36am On Jun 04, 2013
Let Aturu or goat go and get the money for Baba Suwe and allow us to deal with these Lebanese guys and give them jungle justice.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 04, 2013
Oko_AGB: Even though d lawyer is right, my first reaction was anger at his threat. I wish he were not right. I for insult him and him lineage.

The funny thing abt the arrest of these Lebanese guys is the fact that d DSS and our Govt have not bin able to make any connection whatsoever btw these guys and Boko Barak. They stockpile arms,yes. But r they the first to be arrested for gun-running? Those anyone here recall d incidence of a 'close associate' of VP Namadi Sambo who was arrested last year for gun-running,and even had a stockpile of military uniform in his possession,...was dt man not released after a few days and no charges brought against him?
My
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 04, 2013
...my take on this issue is that these Lebanese simply took advantage of our porouse borders,and corrupt security agencies to ferry these arms cheaply into Nigeria for onward transmission to Hezbollah in Lebanon. Everyone knows that arms and ammunitions r relatively cheap in the west Africa sub-region.
Re: Aturu Threatens To Sue Over Fawaz , Others Detention by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 04, 2013
Have they passed the anti-terrorism bill? Because part of the bill will seek to hold terror suspects beyond 48hrs and even longer. What the SSS should do now is rush to court to get a Judge to grant them time to hold the suspects for an indefinite period

(1) (2) (Reply)

See The 1856 And 1911 Historical Map Of Igboland / Exchange Rates Before Tinubu Takes Over / Ogun Tribunal: APC, PDP In Fresh War Of Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.