Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,084 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani (8417 Views)

Omojuwa Turns Wailer Blasts Buhari / Fayose Openly Declines Omojuwa’s Invitation / APC Activist Omojuwa Criticises Buhari Government. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Basics007: 7:43am On Jun 04, 2013
Ok for a little background info on what actually happened. Omojuwa was a guest on Channels tv program Rubbing Minds. He was asked a question about comparing protests on social media versus the protests on the streets the way the late Gani Fawehinmi used to do. Well lo and behold,he was said to have replied 'what have they achieved?' Well as it is,Omojuwa is presently the subject of a lot of angst on twitter and other social media. Following this he came out to lambast Channels tv and denied making such statements.
My take on the whole matter is that Omojuwa is a fella i used to admire even when people said he's very arrogant but i think with this people's opinion may not be wrong afterall.

The controversial interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvDYRpS8UII
A blogger, Japhet Omojuwa, has described the Nigerian media as junky and useless, in reaction to a Channels TV publication which suggested that he underestimated the struggles of late human rights fighter, Gani Fawehinmi.

“Any Nigerian news I miss on these foreign news channels will be delightfully missed,” Mr. Omojuwa said. “Too much junk here. Reason these politicians don’t speak to the local press. Most are as good as useless!”

A war of words had ensued on twitter between Mr. Omojuwa and some other social media users on Sunday after the blogger was accused of trivializing the impacts of the dogged fights of the late radical Lagos lawyer.

Mr. Omojuwa, who appeared on a Channels TV youth programme, Rubbin Mind, had tried to argue that social media activism is a more innovative way of mobilizing protests against the government.

When the presenter, Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, suggested to the three guests on the programme that protests might be more productive if taken to the streets the way late Mr. Fawehinmi and Mr. Olisa Agbakoba did, Mr. Omojuwa intercepted, asking, “What did those protests change?”

He then added, “I protested against a particular airline without carrying a placard. If you say that is not a protest, mention my name in their offices and you understand how….”

Many people on twitter interpreted the comment to mean that Mr. Omojuwa triviliazed Mr. Fawehinmi’s protests and contributions to Nigeria’s development.

The blogger’s comment became even more controversial after Channels TV posted a short clip of the programme on its website with the headline “Our ‘noise’ on social media is achieving more than Gani did”.

Among the first to react was London-based activist, Kayode Ogundamisi, who said via his twitter handle @canary, “Now I am going to bring out koboko (whip) and flog my brother @omojuwa openly, still does not change my view about him as one with great potentials.”

He described Mr. Omojuwa’s comment as a serious error of judgment and then went on to educate the blogger about how protests by Gani Fawehinmi “changed a lot!” of things in Nigeria.

“Let me start by saying Gani Fawehinmi saved over 370 Nigerian students from unlawful expulsion, Mr. Ogundamisi said. “I can list over 68 Students that Gani Fawehinmi saved from unjust expulsion using the instrumentality of law. That is change you can vouch for.”

He added, “Gani Fawehinmi did not only protest, he led an exemplary life, spent his money and resources. Never received a dime for his activism and protests.

“I analyse Nigeria on social media but the true hero is that Nigerian on the street daring an armed policeman insisting “I won’t give you a bribe.”

But another commentator named F., with twitter handle @unofidel disagreed that Mr. Omojuwa’s comment was an error of judgment.

“It is not an error of judgment,” he said. “It was a cocky, thoughtless statement by someone who felt he was more influential.”

Abuja-based lawyer and activist, Abdul Mahmud, was even angrier at the comments ascribed to Mr. Omojuwa.

“Pity! That youngboy has never smelt the inside of a police cell, so I grant him his stupidity,” Mr. Mahmud tweeted.

The lawyer was to publish several other tweets educating Mr. Omojuwa on Mr. Fawehinmi’s giant strides in the defence of freedom and democracy.

His final tweet for the night read, “If Gani didn’t succeed, please, ask your dad and mum if they ever voiced opposition to Buhari/IBB/Abacha publicly.”

But Mr. Omojuwa soon issued a denial saying, “Whoever said I said that is a liar. If I did, those who watched it (the programme) wouldn’t have had anything else to discuss after the show.”

The blogger then descended on Channels TV describing the station as a mediocre junk news platform and its tweets blasphemous.

He said, “@Channels_TV You are a shame to the ethics of this job. A big shame. You will rot where liars rot for that headline. LIARS OSHI!

“You are absolutely irresponsible. Absolutely. Bow in shame for this. Bow in shame!”

At a point he tore at the local press describing them as junky and useless, and suggested that he would begin to consume news only on foreign channels.

“Any Nigerian news I miss on these foreign news channels will be delightfully missed,” Mr. Omojuwa said. “Too much junk here. Reason these politicians don’t speak to the local press. Most are as good as useless!”
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/137455-nigerian-media-are-junks-useless-blogger-omojuwa-says-as-controversy-rages-over-comment-on-gani.html
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 04, 2013
Really, what have we achieved

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by MissFibre(f): 9:06am On Jun 04, 2013
pDude: Really, what have we achieved

Nothing... But let's let the debators debate it out... We might learn a thing or two because the above post is just too long for me to read embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Reptyle(m): 9:08am On Jun 04, 2013
Basics007: Ok for a little background info on what actually happened. Omojuwa was a guest on Channels tv program Rubbing Minds. He was asked a question about comparing protests on social media versus the protests on the streets the way the late Gani Fawehinmi used to do. Well lo and behold,he was said to have replied 'what have they achieved?' Well as it is,Omojuwa is presently the subject of a lot of angst on twitter and other social media. Following this he came out to lambast Channels tv and denied making such statements.
My take on the whole matter is that Omojuwa is a fella i used to admire even when people said he's very arrogant but i think with this people's opinion may not be wrong afterall. Link to the whole story is below
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/137455-nigerian-media-are-junks-useless-blogger-omojuwa-says-as-controversy-rages-over-comment-on-gani.html

Beyond reading the comments on twitter and forming an opinion thereof, did you actually watch the video where he said what he said? I did and my take is that Channels TV skewed his statement to make it look like he poured contempt on the activism of Gani. I really do not see what the furore was all about.

4 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by angelTI(f): 9:11am On Jun 04, 2013
Going by d interview, Omojuwa neva meant to undermine Gani&co's efforts. I think what he was trying to say is dat Nigerians should use all peaceful n legal means to voice their displeasures e.g internet especially our Nairaland

#Wassup wit d aluu4?

3 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by omo9ja1(m): 9:12am On Jun 04, 2013
well I think this guys may be making some sense however they need to support any form of protest either online/street
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Lilimax(f): 9:13am On Jun 04, 2013
This is just reminding me of the 'Oga at the top' saga?
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by dridowu: 9:15am On Jun 04, 2013
Hmmmm Omojuwa, i dnt really gbadun as activist but Kayode Ogundamisi is gr8
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 04, 2013
This is what happens when a man feels too arrogant to admit he made a mistake and apologise.. cool

Mumu.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by oladrogo(m): 9:16am On Jun 04, 2013
Mr omojuwa no place like home ooo , and there is no way you can get more authentic news outside the shores of your mother land. Learn to take blames for your mistakes abeg
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by freebreezeyz(m): 9:19am On Jun 04, 2013
a young lad like dis who is already yearning to the youths and others alike, I expected that the best thing for him to have done was to immediately issue a statement / reTweet rescinding the error he made. He needs to soft-pedal on the way he is going about attacking others instead of retracting his comments. But come to think of it, the way he is even handling the issue aint speaking well of his anger mgt at all

@omojuwa: retract and apologize and move on with the struggle. Gani and other notable activists spent years to get to where they got / are today. U NEVER EVEN SMELL PRISON LIKE D ABUJA LAYWER TOLD U, U NEVER SEE NOTHING YET. take am easy pls (as regards falling out with d masses / educated)
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by kcjazz(m): 9:23am On Jun 04, 2013
What has social media activism achieved really?

Its like the roof telling the foundation, what has it achieved undecided. Gani and other activists of his time used the tool they had to protest against government policies. Well we have social media now and it is a tool, it doesn't make street protests old school we can have both. Was Occupy Nigeria a social media success? We can yappp all day on twitter but if we don't come out nothing changes.

The major cause of every conflict in this world is when one person or group feels his way is better than others. We can have both and the impacts should be based on contexts really

It is an arrogant statement.

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by kreamidiva(f): 9:28am On Jun 04, 2013
Gani was a great human rights activist. Gani i know,Femi Falana i know but oga omojuwa,who r u?

3 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Dee60: 9:39am On Jun 04, 2013
Youthful exuberance. He should just apologize and not pour invectives on Channels. Now he has two hurdles to overcome. Apologize to the people for his comments on the activists and also apologize to Channels, a TV platform that the people have come to respect for their insightful and innovative journalism.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by toskut(m): 9:44am On Jun 04, 2013
Omojuwa is just looking for cheap popularity. He is someone i know well back then in Oregun.
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by jadakiss213(m): 9:45am On Jun 04, 2013
Dint know ds Omojuwa was jes a kid..E never see anything.he thinks activism is all about sitting comfortably in front of a PC and typing gibberish.Ode Oshi
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 04, 2013
Omojuwa is a noisemaker, just like his fellow twitter comrade, Mallam El-rufai, this peeps only want relevance..
What has omojuwa as a person achieved in the Nigerian polity? Only making biased remarks on twitter & gullible Nigerians retweeting..
Dude should go find a day job, rubbishing Gani's achievement; he should be ashamed of himself, how many times has he been molested by the police? Awon inter warrior jakujaku

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by gramci: 9:53am On Jun 04, 2013
This omojuwa guy suffers from diarrhoea of the mouth like his master el rufai, they have no shame.
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by olajide1895: 9:53am On Jun 04, 2013
Channels TV should try as much as possible to always re edit their interview before they put it on any of their social medias,we should all remember the controversial issue of oga at d top,with what I watch, I didn't see anything bad in what Mr Omojuwa said,his is not condemning series of protest led by late Gani Fawahinm but trying to evalute d value of d protest & using the Late Gani protest as an example.plz be objective in whatever u are giving ur viewers.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by jossy26: 9:56am On Jun 04, 2013
Pls which Omojuwa are u guys talking about cos I know one that sells meat in wasimi market
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by lafuria1(m): 9:59am On Jun 04, 2013
People didn't watch the video buy since it was omojuwa, they just joined the bandwagon of insults.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 04, 2013
--
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Melancholy(m): 10:07am On Jun 04, 2013
Don't mind this omojuwa of a boy, that thinks that u can win every protest like he did to dana airline.Even the developed nations do vent their anger through street protests.
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by obowunmi(m): 10:21am On Jun 04, 2013
**yawns** undecided undecided
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 04, 2013
Melancholy: Don't mind this omojuwa of a boy, that thinks that u can win every protest like he did to dana airline.Even the developed nations do vent their anger through street protests.
Dana Airline? Abi Arik
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Basics007: 10:29am On Jun 04, 2013
I cant understand why he's comparing his skirmish with Arik air to a full fledged war with the authorities. Arik is a corporate organisation whose image means everything to it. The Nigerian govt as far as i know gives little regard to what the social media says. Their modus operandi is to wait and they surely knows everythin will blow over and people will move over to other topics. I doubt if occupy nigeria would've have achieved the little it did if we had all stayed on twitter and not moved to the street en masse

5 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by moodswing(m): 10:41am On Jun 04, 2013
And we are we talking about this nicompooop?.

Activist my foot, he's just a jobless Nigerian with Internet access and enjoying freedom of speech.

4 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by teetee123: 10:41am On Jun 04, 2013
Channels TV knows the Nigerian mentality and decided to play to the gallery. How many of you people making comments here watched the video. Why are you just sentimental about the young man and not give him fair trial and benefit of doubt.
The video is here on NL and it is plainly clear that Channels is being mischievous and trying to hang this guy as they did to the Civil Defense guy.
Quite unfortunate and many ignorant people here are all over the internet making stupid comments. They just believe any thing. I think Channels has gone the way of junk journalism and fast losing their credibility.
An African proverb says The elder that based his judgement only on that of the plaintiff is a wicked man.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Ganys: 10:55am On Jun 04, 2013
I just unfollowed this clown on twitter, Like if u wana Join Me angry

3 Likes

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Ayokunle07(m): 10:56am On Jun 04, 2013
[/b]
olajide1895: Channels TV should try as much as possible to always re edit their interview before they put it on any of their social medias,we should all remember the controversial issue of oga at d top,with what I watch, I didn't see anything bad in what Mr Omojuwa said,his is not condemning series of protest led by late Gani Fawahinm but trying to [b]evalute d value of d protest & using the Late Gani protest as an example.plz be objective in whatever u are giving ur viewers.
And what was his evaluation? Public Protests (including Gani's) have not achieved much, but social media activism (including his own kind of protests) is achieving more? Isn't that what he was trying to say? So how much out of context is what Channels reported? Like a poster said, he should just tow the honourable path and apologize, not being cocky as he is acting now.
Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 04, 2013
The guy is one of the many arm chair critics who cannot tolerate criticisms when the tide turns? Smh

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:00am On Jun 04, 2013
Quick head count: how many of you actually watched the video before commenting?

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Blocks Aso Drive, Rides In Convoy Of Over 30 Cars (watch Video) / Abba Kyari Orders DSS To Walk Amaechi Out Of Office / Nigeria's Highest GDP Rate (4.21%) From 2015-2019 Was Our Lowest (1999-2015)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.