Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Why Are The Chinks In Africa? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are The Chinks In Africa? (2654 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Uche2nna(m): 8:52pm On May 05, 2008
I agree with Kobo.

Its the time of the China Man in Africa. I aint complaining about it cos we can really benefit from the association. That is if we want to.
My personal opinion is dat we are seeing a change of civilisation (which is not strange in the history of mankind).
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On May 05, 2008
away4real:

Well well well, my salvation really, your first year of employment, ok i understand where your views emanate from now. When its time to become an Executive Director in an investment bank please lets have this discussion.

Am involved (in addition to my career) with an NGO that one of its main aim is to place ethnic minorities in front office roles and negotiate for better working terms and equal opportunities for minorities in investment banks. Not only blacks but ethnic minorities, i live in a real and positive world, i observed a problem which i experienced when it was time to take on managerial roles and i did something about it, and helping younger ones.

I might do with your help still, enjoy the early days of your career when it was time to take on managerial responsibilities in those institutions lets have this discussion.

Geez, how did this discussion deviate so much, cheesy

Dude, I think you should learn to read. I have met Africans on there and I happen to have given you a particular guy's 15% start up with promise of shares as example and you go on the defensive?? Look, I understand that NGO's like the one you work for play a part of some sort in the community. I am simply saying that playing the race card is not really a way to go as there are many people like me out there who have so far enjoyed equal treatment and have nothing to complain about. I am sure there are those out there who buy into your ideology but to play the race card and claim all of wallstreet is involved would require you to prove that all black people and even Africans are not being treated fairly and that is simply not the case. So again. I suggest you focus on your own and accept that there are those of us who have never really had race come up as an issue for us and we are quite happy were we are. Should it ever become a problem, we can always move on to other places and that works quite well in my line of work.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by away4real(m): 8:57pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Dude, I think you should learn to read. I have met Africans on there and I happen to have given you a particular guy's 15% start up with promise of shares as example and you go on the defensive?? Look, I understand that NGO's like the one you work for play a part of some sort in the community. I am simply saying that playing the race card is not really a way to go as there are many people like me out there who have so far enjoyed equal treatment and have nothing to complain about. I am sure there are those out there who buy into your ideology but to play the race card and claim all of wallstreet is involved would require you to prove that all black people and even Africans are not being treated fairly and that is simply not the case. So again. I suggest you focus on your own and accept that there are those of us who have never really had race come up as an issue for us and we are quite happy were we are. Should it ever become a problem, we can always move on to other places and that works quite well in my line of work.

@ kobo, fair play, i admire your positivity, a lot of folks will do with that, but again that seems to be a common similarity (not problem) with us as a people, once it doesnt affect us we can't be bothered. Perhaps William Wilbeforce should have kept quiet in the parliament.

First statement in bold unnecessary, last statement in bold tells a lot, we should all just runaway, afterall everyone is in your line of work.

Please back to the thread enough of distraction, i was carried away with your wall street example, sincere apologies.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 9:39pm On May 05, 2008
How can I help with a Problem I do not see or have experience of?? I only hear people like you trying to spread the fear of race daily but I have in my line of work not even experienced such being an african myself and I am surrounded with other africans who do not have the same issue. How do you expect us to pursue what we know does not exist for us and for those we know of??

Wilberforce saw a problem and he felt the need to act appropriately. If I do not see race as the main issue, should I then just make it the issue just cause you say it is?? By the way, if I did see race as issue, instead of trying to scare people in forums with propaganda, I would be out there fighting to see things changed. I would never work for a company that was racist cause that would greatly limit me. So I still do not get why you find it hard to believe that I can not jump on your bandwagon cause I see things from the other side and it is not the picture that you paint, that I see
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by superman(m): 9:55pm On May 05, 2008
INDIANS TRYIN IT

Monday, May 5, 2008

Govt recovers unspent N450b

ICPC arrests officials, Indians

By Bayo Ohu (Lagos) and Florence Oretade, Abuja
A PRESIDENTIAL directive that all unspent public funds should be returned to the treasury is already yielding results.

advertisement
At the last count, the Federal Government has recouped N450 billion unspent recurrent releases to ministries and parastatals.

A Presidency official, who disclosed the figure to The Guardian at the weekend, said that the amount would have been stolen by officials but for the government's tough stance on the issue.

Giving the details of the recovered funds, the source said about N60 billion was recovered at the end of 2007 while another N30 billion was recovered by the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources from fertilisers contracts and returned to the treasury.

The bubble has, however, burst at the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation (AGF) where the N35 million returned by the National Population Commission (NPC) to the AGF's office has been reported missing.

The cheque of the returned money was alleged to have disappeared and traced to a Lagos bank and some Indian rice merchants by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), which swung into action and arrested two senior officials in the AGF's office over their alleged role in the fraud.

Presidency source explained that more ministries and agencies have returned their unspent recurrent votes, raising the total to N450 billion.

President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua had directed ministries to halt further expenditure on 2007 appropriations not spent since the fiscal year had ended. He directed that such monies should immediately be returned to the national coffers.

In compliance with this directive, the Senate returned over N7 billion to the public purse. But the same cannot be said of the Ministry of Health where N300 million of such funds was allegedly shared by some of its senior officials.

The scam led to the resignation of both the then Minister of Health, Prof. Adenike Grange and Minister of State for Health, Gabriel Aduku. The two officials and others linked with the fraud have been arraigned in court by the government.

Meanwhile, the government has lost about N22 billion meant for fertiliser subsidy in the past eight years. A report issued by the government on the product blamed it on middlemen in the distribution chain.

The Guardian learnt that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture spent about N90 billion on the importation of fertilisers between 1999 and 2007, out of which government paid N22 billion as 25 per cent subsidy to farmers, which was lost to middlemen and suppliers in the distribution network.

In the alleged theft of the fund returned by the NPC, a source at the commission told The Guardian that after an extensive investigation, it was discovered that the cheque found its way into the hands of four Indians, who allegedly used the money to import rice into the country.

Three of the Indians were first arrested and the fourth one was later picked up by ICPC operatives.

But the ICPC is not resting on its oars over the matter as it is probing further into how the money got into a bank in Lagos before it was used for the rice deal.

The ICPC official, who gave the identities of the Indians, said: "Pretty soon the case will go to court."

Also, the ICPC has arraigned in court an Assistant Chief Engineer in the Ministry of Agriculture over an alleged N100,000 bribe.

The official was arraigned over a three-count charge of corruption before a High Court in Abuja for allegedly demanding and receiving the bribe to pass a contractor's file.

In a statement by the commission's spokesman, Mr. Mike Sowe, the accused was said to have violated sections 10 and 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000.

According to him, the official, Stephen Ifalolu Ifabiyi, had demanded the N100,000 from the contractor, identified as Theophilus Agubuzu, to pay the supervisor of the project to facilitate the payment of his money.

The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges while his counsel asked for bail.

Judge Hussaini Baba Yusuf of High Court 7, who heard the case, adjourned it till May 28, 2008. He asked the accused to produce a civil servant with the rank of a director, who is resident in Abuja with the sum of N500,000 as surety.

In the Wema Bank Plc and National Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) financial scam, a Nigerian linked with fraud but now in the United States (U.S.) has reportedly agreed to come home to give an account of his alleged role in the incident to the ICPC.

The suspect, the ICPC official said, has assured that he would return by the end of this month to answer the commission's call.

The source added that the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank (CBN) for Financial Sector Surveillance had reported to the commission on several occasions to provide the Interrogation Unit with documents and explanations on the alleged misappropriation of funds and false public declaration of profit by the bank while he was the bank's Managing Director.

He said: "We are investigating both the past and current officials of the bank and the corporation on a daily basis. We hope to get to the root of the matter very soon."

now why would any fool trust those suckers in nigeria
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Justiceleague1: 6:35pm On Jun 01, 2022

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo’s Govt Promoted Corruption — Reps ! / Tinubu Blows Hot Truth From The United States. / BREAKING NEWS!!! N225m Armoured Cars: Reps Reject Calls For Oduah’s Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.