Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,537 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy (18092 Views)

Senate Recommends Arrest And Prosecution Of Livingstone Wuchie Of Intergrity Gro / Senate Recommends Arik Air As National Carrier / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2013
The Senate committee on constitution review has recommended a six-year single term for the President and state governors in future elections, a source in the committee told Daily Trust yesterday.

The single term presidency has been a subject of heated dispute since 2005, when it truncated the attempt to do a wholesome amendment of the constitution, following fears that former president Olusegun Obasanjo was using it in a bid to extend his constitutional tenure.

Daily Trust also learnt that the Senate committee led by Deputy Senate President Senator Ike Ekweremadu has recommended abolishing of the controversial ‘states and local government joint account’ to enable the third tier of government receive revenue allocations directly from the federation account.
“As a check, there is also a clause which prohibits release of revenue allocation to local governments that do not have elected council chairmen and councillors,” the source said.

The committee also recommended the scrapping of states’ electoral commissions (SIECs), and transferred the function to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
State governors have resisted the two proposals on local governments and are widely expected to put up a fight when the bill goes to state assemblies for approval.
But majority of public opinion during the public hearings conducted by the two chambers of the National Assembly tilted in support of financial autonomy for local government and the scraping of SIECS, which are generally believed to be manipulated by the governors.

The lawmakers are looking at dozens of sections to be amended in the constitution and have set a July 2013 deadline to conclude the exercise.

The Senate committee’s report will be presented to plenary this week, Deputy Senate president, Ike Ekweremadu who also chairs the committee, has said.
He, however, stressed that the committee’s recommendations are subject to approval of colleagues in plenary, as well as concurrence by the House of Representatives.

“By this week, we should be laying on the table the report of the Senate committee on constitution review. You recall that we created time line when we started. Our objective is to ensure that by this time we should be able to be lying on the table, probably have a discourse and pass at the Senate, and then we should be able to push it to the House of Representatives and the state assemblies respectively,” Ekweremadu said.

According to him: “We are hoping that they will be able to move as fast as we are doing so that hopefully, we will be able to achieve our July deadline. Even if we are going to miss it, it will not be too long behind the mark. We tenaciously followed our programme and time line regarding constitutional amendment.”

The deputy senate president, however, said that the report is not final. “No matter what our respective positions are, we are going to submit ourselves to the decision of our colleagues at plenary. Of course, that is going to be informed by the feelings of their constituents and ultimately the feeling of Nigerians.”
State creation agitators fail to meet requirement

Meanwhile, Senator Ekweremadu revealed that none of the agitators for state creation met the requirements as stipulated by Section 8 (1) of the 1999 constitution as amended.

The committee had received over 50 proposals for the creation of additional states across the federation.
But speaking to journalists in Abuja yesterday, Senator Ekweremadu said: “People think they will come to Abuja and submit memoranda and the National Assembly will deliberate on it and then subsequently announce that so and so states have been created. Unfortunately that is not the case.

“When we received request, that request must as a matter of constitutional requirement have the signature of two-third of the local government councils of the affected area requesting for the state.

“That will include the councillors and the chairmen of the council from the area requesting for the state. And you know these must be elected councillors and chairmen because the constitution did not envisage caretaker,” he added.

“If it is found out that they are not elected chairmen, it means that they have not fulfilled that obligation. Furthermore, there must be signature of the two-third of the state assemblies from those respective areas requesting for a state. Then, there will be two-third signature of the National Assembly. What has happened now is that, our traditional rulers, out of the love for their people, quickly signed the request for creation of state and come and submit in Abuja, without looking at what the constitution says.

“They are not the ones who should be signatories, it has to be parliamentarians. My own understanding of the constitution is that, it is not just going to be parliamentarians but serving a parliamentarian, that is sitting members, not those who were members in 1960.

“That is one of the details people have avoided in making these requests. So this is one of the constraints. For us, we support creation of states. But you have to follow the procedure laid down by the constitution which most people are trying to avoid. That is our stand on it,” Deputy Senate president said.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/top-stories/56055-constitution-amendment-latest-senate-c-ttee-adopts-6-year-single-term-lg-autonomy
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 04, 2013
Good 1, keep it up boys!!!

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 04, 2013
Jesus!! Jonathan finally succeded!!....where this man keep im juju

3 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Desric(m): 3:41pm On Jun 04, 2013
I support the abolition of the State and LG joint account and the approval of LG autonomy from the State, some people say the funds will be embezzled by the council Chairmen, I think its better that the citizens of the council knows who to hold accountable for their funds, let all tiers of Government grow together in the advancement of democracy in our nation. Secondly, the abolition of the SIEC is a very fragile one, I want to believe that the country will not be held hostage by the Government in power in the centre? the Abuja politicians should not hijack this nascent bill, Nigerians, we know how to abuse every institution, we just find our way to abuse it no matter how sacred. I pray this won't be another disaster by the NASS and the Party in the Centre. Only time will tell. For those clamouring for state creation being unable to meet up the criteria, this is just to show how ignorant and careless we are as a people, otherwise how can one go for a serious, monumental, constitutional request as crucial and important as the creation of a state without meeting up or having the idea of the detailed qualifications for such demands? Yet, these are men and women that we hold in reverence and very high esteem, men and women we must times refer to as "timbers and calibres", cream d la cream of our society, yet they can't fulfil such a simple task as small as to meet up required documents and signatures for the creation of states. This is to show why we are where we are. Clueless, retarded, visionless, and lawless individuals parading themselves as Leaders, maybe they thought its business as usual, where states are been allocated on the basis of sentiments rather than merit.

12 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Xfactoria: 3:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
Larryfly: Jesus!! Jonathan finally succeded!!....where this man keep im juju

You are naive! This is even a coup against Jonathan. There will be a clause that current office holders will not be beneficiaries!

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 04, 2013
Not a single person above me read the story and they are commenting on what they don't know.

Op is only being sensational. The topic should read 'constitutional review committee report submitted to senate'.

8 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:35pm On Jun 04, 2013
This topic is misleading.
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by captured(f): 4:37pm On Jun 04, 2013
Nigerians and headline...If you read, then i guess your comments might be more suitable that the rants and raves it initially generated
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Sirniyeh(m): 4:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
It's unfortunate! Among all, what I'm desperately concerned about is the creation of more states. Wow, I've been warming up to be Chairman of my new local government if state created.
More states is tantamount to more developments. D tin pain me, shai!
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Opey4luv(m): 5:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
What is wrong here, can't the moderator see the topic is misleading. Despite raising the point earlier, it still made front page in that form.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
NL mods should realise that 4/5th of NL users only read headlines and comment.. especially when there are no pictures in the OP..

angry

Sorry, I meant the other way round.. NL mods read first line, move to front page and give misleading headline.

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Ichel: 5:35pm On Jun 04, 2013
Now z d wright tym 4 me 2 migrate to cameroun
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Dee60: 5:36pm On Jun 04, 2013
5 years is enough.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by tspun(m): 5:39pm On Jun 04, 2013
i'm too tired to read dis, summary pleaseeeeeee!!!!!!!!
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Bishop4bella(m): 5:41pm On Jun 04, 2013
I pray we dnt president lyk GEJ in future election. People go suffer.

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Delafruita(m): 5:41pm On Jun 04, 2013
X-factoria:

You are naive! This is even a coup against Jonathan. There will be a clause that current office holders will not be a beneficiaries!
there cant be such a clause
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Policewoman(f): 5:41pm On Jun 04, 2013
tendercharles:

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/top-stories/56055-constitution-amendment-latest-senate-c-ttee-adopts-6-year-single-term-lg-autonomy
Subject says APPROVES, Body of the message come say, RECOMMENDED undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided So which one we go come believe? The MOD no go school ni?

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Policewoman(f): 5:43pm On Jun 04, 2013
Desric: I support the abolition of the State and LG joint account and the approval of LG autonomy from the State, some people say the funds will be embezzled by the council Chairmen, I think its better that the citizens of the council knows who to hold accountable for their funds, let all tiers of Government grow together in the advancement of democracy in our nation. Secondly, the abolition of the SIEC is a very fragile one, I want to believe that the country will not be held hostage by the Government in power in the centre? the Abuja politicians should not hijack this nascent bill, Nigerians, we know how to abuse every institution, we just find our way to abuse it no matter how sacred. I pray this won't be another disaster by the NASS and the Party in the Centre. Only time will tell. For those clamouring for state creation being unable to meet up the criteria, this is just to show how ignorant and careless we are as a people, otherwise how can one go for a serious, monumental, constitutional request as crucial and important as the creation of a state without meeting up or having the idea of the detailed qualifications for such demands? Yet, these are men and women that we hold in reverence and very high esteem, men and women we must times refer to as "timbers and calibres", cream d la cream of our society, yet they can't fulfil such a simple task as small as to meet up required documents and signatures for the creation of states. This is to show why we are where we are. Clueless, retarded, visionless, and lawless individuals parading themselves as Leaders, maybe they thought its business as usual, where states are been allocated on the basis of sentiments rather than merit.
Wait ooo, but i thought they abolished the JAAC between states and LGA's before now?
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by LabourParty(m): 5:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
The 6 years is ok, and funding the LGs directly is gonna be nice. The FG can hold LG leaders directly responsible for any yawa. grin
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 04, 2013
Nairaland becoming a beer parlour arena..useless headlines making FP
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by Ganys: 5:53pm On Jun 04, 2013
EKAITE: Honey, Whisper something dirty to my hear
AKPOS: PDP PDP PDP
EKAITE: WHAT!!!! shocked shocked

........Sent Via My Opon Imo
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by ATMCARD2(m): 5:54pm On Jun 04, 2013
Desric: I support the abolition of the State and LG joint account and the approval of LG autonomy from the State, some people say the funds will be embezzled by the council Chairmen, I think its better that the citizens of the council knows who to hold accountable for their funds, let all tiers of Government grow together in the advancement of democracy in our nation. Secondly, the abolition of the SIEC is a very fragile one, I want to believe that the country will not be held hostage by the Government in power in the centre? the Abuja politicians should not hijack this nascent bill, Nigerians, we know how to abuse every institution, we just find our way to abuse it no matter how sacred. I pray this won't be another disaster by the NASS and the Party in the Centre. Only time will tell. For those clamouring for state creation being unable to meet up the criteria, this is just to show how ignorant and careless we are as a people, otherwise how can one go for a serious, monumental, constitutional request as crucial and important as the creation of a state without meeting up or having the idea of the detailed qualifications for such demands? Yet, these are men and women that we hold in reverence and very high esteem, men and women we must times refer to as "timbers and calibres", cream d la cream of our society, yet they can't fulfil such a simple task as small as to meet up required documents and signatures for the creation of states. This is to show why we are where we are. Clueless, retarded, visionless, and lawless individuals parading themselves as Leaders, maybe they thought its business as usual, where states are been allocated on the basis of sentiments rather than merit.
.Dis is nt essay plz.
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by hikmoj(m): 5:56pm On Jun 04, 2013
Larryfly: Jesus!! Jonathan finally succeded!!....where this man keep im juju
i dont understand,wil he spend anoda 6yrs if re elected?
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by gothrones(m): 5:58pm On Jun 04, 2013
Since when did "recommended" mean "approved"?
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by CrimzP(m): 5:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
I think one of the best thing the senate should really pass into law is the separation of the LGA and State joint account. The SIECs should also be scrapped. In states with a PDP governor, virtually all the LGA chairmen of the party wins. In states with ACN the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by size38: 6:01pm On Jun 04, 2013
In as much as I appreciate d work being done by d senate, I also want them to abolish the "land use" decree, by making d states autonomous, have independent judiciary, abolishing immunity clause and recognising d 6 geo-political zones in the country by including them in the new amendment act.

1 Like

Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by uOhamsyahooc: 6:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
Any way i like this idea of LG govt to be autonomous in terms of finance. but governor and president to stay single term in office am still looking at it. U people will understand it has pro and con. pls our able senators look into it properly and give us report that why we pay u.chikina!
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by talk2s(m): 6:05pm On Jun 04, 2013
I boldly opine that The Senate of de Federal Republic of Nigeria has done well in 2, out of the 3 areas of recommendations:
1. Abolition of of State\LGA Joint Account;
2. 6year single-term for de executive.

As for de eradication of SIECs, our democracy is still nascent (espercially by de practitioners). In as much as they've courageously recommended the two above, which will go a long way to streamline de powers of de State Governors, they should equally be wary not to further empower de government at de centre. Any ammendment that suggests that should be kept aside.
For crying out loud, we are operating a Federal system of Govt., therefore de centre should be weakened!
In de same vein, provisions and clauses should be inserted to checkmate de LGAs Chairmen and other officials from
going hare wire with the people's funds.
MY TAKE!
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by magaliyu(f): 6:06pm On Jun 04, 2013
GHANA MUST GO, in action.
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by sylve11: 6:06pm On Jun 04, 2013
X-factoria:

You are naive! This is even a coup against Jonathan. There will be a clause that current office holders will not be beneficiaries!

and where is the clause in the writeup? or r u hallucinating? cool
Re: Senate Recommends 6-year Single Term, LG Autonomy by hikmoj(m): 6:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sirniyeh: It's unfortunate! Among all, what I'm desperately concerned about is the creation of more states. Wow, I've been warming up to be Chairman of my new local government if state created.
More states is tantamount to more developments. D tin pain me, shai!
worry not if u are destined 4 d seat u gona reach there but u may ask ur ppl 2 b addresin u as honorabl 4rm now henceforth

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Femi Adesina Blast Metuh Again / Terrorists Release Oldest Abductee, Daughter, 2 Other Train Passengers / Goodnews From The City Of Nnewi And It's Metropolitan Towns!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.