Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? (2118 Views)

Design And Implementation Of A Web Based Student Academic Record Generating System. / How To Be A Unique And World Class Programmer? / Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 3:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
I want to develop a world class web based accounting software. I know that I need a programming language like PHP and a database programme like MySQL.

My question is, what other skills/programs are needed? I really want something with appealing interface/gradients? Two, if I am going to recruit staff for this, what skills do I seek for? Please be clear in your suggestions.

Thanks.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by Chimanet(m): 4:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
I have a java based one am working on at d moment, u nid 2 knw accounting to some extent for u do some thing that will be appealing to an accountant. Also a gud looking interface will sell your app for u. Check out jquery widgets for tabular representation of accounts
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by auxizain(m): 5:00pm On Jun 04, 2013
stop daydreaming many of such softwares exits...trust me dont waste your time find a unique idea solving a problem
and develop it
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 7:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
Chimanet: I have a java based one am working on at d moment, u nid 2 knw accounting to some extent for u do some thing that will be appealing to an accountant. Also a gud looking interface will sell your app for u. Check out jquery widgets for tabular representation of accounts

By the way, I'm one of Nigeria's foremost professional accountants. Thanks for the info on jQuery. Noted
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 8:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
auxizain: stop daydreaming many of such softwares exits...trust me dont waste your time find a unique idea solving a problem
and develop it

I am a chartered accountant of over 20 years standing. I've used accounting software from the days of Paciolli. Trust me, I'm coming up with something like no other. I'm very much awake. And thanks, btw, for doubting...
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by auxizain(m): 8:26pm On Jun 04, 2013
oh op sori if u were offended..was jux trying to gv ma opinion...then i think you should outsource your app to a professional...because it will take u quiet some time to learn the technologies you need to make that kind of app..and time is very important in dis biz some1 might also be working on a similar idea...d earlier d better
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 9:00pm On Jun 04, 2013
auxizain: oh op sori if u were offended..was jux trying to gv ma opinion...then i think you should outsource your app to a professional...because it will take u quiet some time to learn the technologies you need to make that kind of app..and time is very important in dis biz some1 might also be working on a similar idea...d earlier d better

My plan is to put in place a team of programmers to work on it. But before then I want to know what competences to look for. For now I know I need persons with experience in:

PHP
My SQL
JQuery

My question is, what other areas of expertise are required? Of course, I'm filling the accounting and business process gap.

Thanks.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by spikesC(m): 9:29pm On Jun 04, 2013
How do you plan to provide the software service, that will greatly determine who you employ.
Example. Do you plan to sell installables/source code files to companies so they would host it themselves or do you plan to let every company create an account online and access it via your web server
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 9:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
spikes C: How do you plan to provide the software service, that will greatly determine who you employ.
Example. Do you plan to sell installables/source code files to companies so they would host it themselves or do you plan to let every company create an account online and access it via your web server

Thanks. Both options are on the table
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by spikesC(m): 10:06pm On Jun 04, 2013
NaijaNaWaa:

Thanks. Both options are on the table

Ok, if u're selling source files, look into securing your source codes.

For the other option, you need server admins, DB admins, UI/UX designers and ofcourse the backend dudes.

Pls, don't use jquery UI. Most functionalities in it can be done easily with less codes. That library is very bloated, very very bloated.

Find good developers and develop from scratch. The application you want to build needs careful hands that needs to know all the tidbits of the software. You defo don't want your company to depend on the support of another company.

PS: i didn't say don't use JQuery, i said don't use JQuery UI

1 Like

Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 10:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Oh, I forgot to mention reporting tools/skills. This is a report intensive app, believe me.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by csharpjava(m): 11:12pm On Jun 04, 2013
This will be a nice software project for the 'Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online'. We can get the right team of C# ASP.Net, PHP, C++ (Mobile App version) and database developers together to develop a world class web-base Accounting Software like the one you are planning to develop. If you are interested then you can contact us at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Of-Nigerian-Programmers-Online/589086937790732
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by spikesC(m): 1:28am On Jun 05, 2013
NaijaNaWaa: Oh, I forgot to mention reporting tools/skills. This is a report intensive app, believe me.

Forget that big language, u define report/formular, DB guy does his job, back end guy creates an api , javascript dude does his job...shikena

I've been working on report generations for a ver long time, it's all about what you wanna get and how you wanna display it
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 3:24am On Jun 05, 2013
spikes C:

Forget that big language, u define report/formular, DB guy does his job, back end guy creates an api , javascript dude does his job...shikena

I've been working on report generations for a ver long time, it's all about what you wanna get and how you wanna display it

Do you mean that there's no need for reporting tool or skill? I'm thinking of BI tools like SQL Server Reporting Services. This app requires tens if not hundreds of reports some of which requires complex queries and formatting.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by Chimanet(m): 12:40pm On Jun 05, 2013
In my own, I will be using jasper report engine for the bi part.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by spikesC(m): 1:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
NaijaNaWaa:

Do you mean that there's no need for reporting tool or skill? I'm thinking of BI tools like SQL Server Reporting Services. This app requires tens if not hundreds of reports some of which requires complex queries and formatting.

Now u're talking, i thought u meant ordinary statistics/reports.

Btw, your server/db admins should also know how to generate intensive reports
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by csharpjava(m): 8:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
NaijaNaWaa: Do you mean that there's no need for reporting tool or skill? I'm thinking of BI tools like SQL Server Reporting Services.

Going for Business Intelligence (BI) shows you are on the right track and you mean business.

1 Like

Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by NaijaNaWaa: 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2013
csharpjava:

Going for Business Intelligence (BI) shows you are on the right track and you mean business.

I really mean business. How I wish I can find serious, experienced and competent hands around Abuja. I know distance doesn't matter but at the initial stage I want to coordinate things closely.
Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by spikesC(m): 9:56pm On Jun 05, 2013
NaijaNaWaa:

I really mean business. How I wish I can find serious, experienced and competent hands around Abuja. I know distance doesn't matter but at the initial stage I want to coordinate things closely.

Am a developer, and i'll tell you the truth.
We hate it when clients say they want people close by but we know the value of it.

Oga me, this your project needs people very close by. Atleast, till you understand and trust them.

1 Like

Re: What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? by csharpjava(m): 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2013
NaijaNaWaa: I really mean business. How I wish I can find serious, experienced and competent hands around Abuja. I know distance doesn't matter but at the initial stage I want to coordinate things closely.

Since this is a web based project then you'll be better of looking beyond Abuja, by getting an online team involved like the 'Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online'

(1) (Reply)

Convert My Cms From Cfm To Php / PIC microcontroller programming WhatsApp group / Php Script Giving Me Headache: Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.