Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,562 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution (19039 Views)

What Skillsets Are Needed To Create A World Class Web-based Accounting Software? / Design And Implementation Of A Web Based Student Academic Record Generating System. / A Application Have Standalone And Web Client (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 12:44am On Jun 22, 2006
Well guys now everybody wants to do something web based instead of the standalone thing,  i came across a website that built a Web Based Accounting software everything runs online but i say to myself what of if this so called ISP get stuck like you coming on a blessed day and you try login and you find out that[b] SERVER[/b] is kind of down what will you do ? that means notting for that they huh ? what do you think or prefer Web based or Standalone ?

I do believe i can build a standalone still using PHP/MySQL/APache/ with out it been online and make it an Intranet thing for the staff to link up to the Software.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 12:54am On Jun 22, 2006
Normally those critical accounting applications are ran on an Intranet or an intranet network, hence the issue of downtime and slow response time is minimized due to the controls used to monitor them.

I prefer web based applications to desktop based applications, especially if they are on an intranet network.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 1:03am On Jun 22, 2006
hummm Wait oo Let me get you straight without you login to the Internet abi ? Cos what i meant is. no need to login to internet what you got to do is just type http://localhost/accounting/ and make it an intranet huh ?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Ka: 1:28am On Jun 22, 2006
Smartsoft,

I think that's what kazey is talking about.

I've fooled around with xampp in creating a standalone web app that can run a local website connected to a mySQL database, but it's a bit heavy (it comes with quite a few files which I'm not sure are needed). I wonder if there's a lighter deployment package that will let me do the same thing out there.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 1:42am On Jun 22, 2006
there is actually xammp lite and even LAMP.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 1:58am On Jun 22, 2006
yah LAMP have seen that, but the problem is i don't even know how to implement this Intranet, because have some kind of solution WEB BASED SOFTWARE for airline companies

@Kazey do you think Lite is kinda better ?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 4:26am On Jun 22, 2006
well depends on your implementation platform besides infrastructure.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 4:42am On Jun 22, 2006
Okies
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 2:34pm On Jun 22, 2006

Oky!! Let me start by defending web-based application to standalone.  We have what we called FAT-CLIENT and THIN-CLIENT. Basically, it is used to depict if a web application is going to off-load its load to the server (thin client) or if the web application is going to do all the heavy work i.e sql statements and managing data base connection (fat client)

Before the birth of Server side computing applications (Standalone) use to be fat client, because all the programming and processing power is built-in in the standalone. That is why it was called standalone, it stands on its own. It does NOT depend on any other infrastructure for processing.

But there was problems with this implementation:

1. Maintenance issue
2. Scalability
3. Deployment

Maintenance

Imagine you have 500 staffs using PC with standalone apps installed in them and there was a little requirement change. You are in trouble, it will take you days to walk around the office uninstall the old one and install the new one, dreadful.

Scalability

When user grow it does not manage database access very well since all fat client have their data access routine. No single point of reference to database manager. If Microsoft changes its OS (Operating System) to new one, which he does every year, i.e. extending the 32bit operating system API to 64bits operating system. You have to rewrite all you standalone else your company would be stuck with windows 95 haha.

Deployment

Like I said how are you going to install a software to 500 PC's when there is a need for requirement changes often frequent.

Mind you web application can be fat client, well it use to be. With the advent of MVC (Model View Controller) and other n-tier architecture deployment infrastructure, it was evident that thin-client will live for a long time, not only it has:

1. One single point of deployment (url)
2. Single point of access (url)
3. Single point of maintenace (web server i.e apache, xmapp)
4. It Scales well when users increase (Buy more server)
5. If microsoft change it OS get the newer apache from apache website and take all your .jpg, .htm, html, .php, .php3 etc into the new apache

There are many reason why you should consider web application to standalone. Mind you standalone could be thin-client but the issue of deploying 500 PC or even more depending on the company is not a joke, especially when you have to do it every week because of requirements changes.

1 Like

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 2:40pm On Jun 22, 2006

In computing, a Fat Client (also known as Rich-Client) is a term from client-server architecture for a client that performs the bulk of the data processing operations. The data itself is stored on the server.

Thin-client, the concept of minimizing required storage, memory and computing horsepower at the user location by performing computing and storing information in a central location, with connections for user input and display over a medium-speed network.

Reference

Thin client vs Fat client application
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2006
When we talk of standalone solution, we shouldn't forget that, that also speaks of many enterprises that use network based standalone software. So the number of PCs etc doesn't really matter. Considering that most of the systems are dummy terminals and its the main server doing all the transaction.

A good example is the bank. Now the question is does a bank for example really require a web based application to run its internal transaction? It all depends actually. As I said before, its about preference not really fullfilling a particular need.

In regards to the scale of implementation especially on enterprise level, where the architecture tends to be more complex with lots of functionalities and models, besides departments, server based softwares are normally encouraged due to the nature of the multi-threading etc and its not that web based solutions wont work. Its just more convenient to have them on desktop. The culture of running a web based software on enterprise level hasn't really being adapted well yet. Preference is the factor, not really functionalities.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Bossman(m): 11:17pm On Jun 22, 2006
Another thing to consider is the ubiquity of the browser. This has really aided the development of thin client applications. All that's needed to access the application is a browser. No need to worry about installing the app on each users PC. Obviously, a web based application will not be a solution for all applications, but for most applications these days, it's the most ideal and cost efficient way to go.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 12:20am On Jun 23, 2006
Bossman:

Another thing to consider is the ubiquity of the browser. This has really aided the development of thin client applications. All that's needed to access the application is a browser. No need to worry about installing the app on each users PC. Obviously, a web based application will not be a solution for all applications, but for most applications these days, it's the most ideal and cost efficient way to go.

Thin client, yes a very good point raised there. But you forgot that there is a browser on each system accessing that Thin APP tongue.

Most Ideal in what sense, didn't get it?

Well Cost efficient, yes in a way, beacuse they are small scale in nature, and maybe their Server Side interpreters could be Opensource, besides cheap smiley

Mind you, I am totally in support of Web based software, but my reason is just preference, due to the fact that I love Opensource.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 9:15am On Jun 23, 2006
sbucareer:

Oky!! Let me start by defending web-based application to standalone. We have what we called FAT-CLIENT and THIN-CLIENT. Basically, it is used to depict if a web application is going to off-load its load to the server (thin client) or if the web application is going to do all the heavy work i.e sql statements and managing data base connection (fat client)

Before the birth of Server side computing applications (Standalone) use to be fat client, because all the programming and processing power it built-in in the standalone. That is why it was called standalone, it stands on its own. It does NOT depend on any other infrastructure for processing.

But there was problems with this implementation:

1. Maintenance issue
2. Scalability
3. Deployment

Maintenance

Imagine you have 500 staffs using PC with standalone apps installed in them and there was a little requirement change. You are in trouble, it will take you days to walk around the office uninstall the old one and install the new one, dreadful.

Scalability

When user grow it does not manage database access very well since all fat client have their data access routine. No single point of reference to database manager. If Microsoft changes its OS (Operating System) to new one, which he does every year, i.e. extending the 32bit operating system API to 64bits operating system. You have to rewrite all you standalone else your company would be stuck with windows 95 haha.

Deployment

Like I said how are you going to install a software to 500 PC's when there is a need for requirement changes often frequent.

Mind you web application can be fat client, well it use to be. With the advent of MVC (Model View Controller) and other n-tier architecture deployment infrastructure, it was evident that thin-client will live for a long time, not only it has:

1. One single point of deployment (url)
2. Single point of access (url)
3. Single point of maintenace (web server i.e apache, xmapp)
4. It Scales well when users increase (Buy more server)
5. If microsoft change it OS get the newer apache from apache website and take all your .jpg, .htm, html, .php, .php3 etc into the new apache

There are many reason why you should consider web application to standalone. Mind you standalone could be thin-client but the issue of deploying 500 PC or even more depending on the company is not a joke, especially when you have to do it every week because of requirements changes.

In nutshell you buy the idea of Web Base Software ?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 9:34am On Jun 23, 2006

Kazey, to be really honest I do not really understand your argument on this issue. What are you really saying? Are you saying that deploying apps on multiple device very frequent is an idea strategic time management within an organization, undermining the effects and correlation, time has on HR systems?

At my work the section of our management budget is spend on new implementation of efficient use of time, which could include:

1. Lateness
2. Unnecessary meetings
3. Unnecessary training
4. Time taken to develop or analyze a specification and time it actual takes to develop the software

These are very serious issues in our HR system. If your argument is not in correlation with time and perhaps you could equivocally render your argument, why you strongly believe that Standalone is good for organization.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 9:35am On Jun 23, 2006

Smartsoft, yes.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 9:39am On Jun 23, 2006
My argument is preety simple. Both Standalone and Web Based Softwares can offer equal functionalities although sometimes in ERP apps for example where you have lots of multi-threading they might be some functionalities that can't be accomodated on the web.

Cost wise they are literally the same, its all about preference.

This thread is about Web Based Softwares and Standalone Solutions and the functionalities both can present, besides the upper edge they might have over one another.

Whats your preference and why?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 10:00am On Jun 23, 2006

Also, remember that one of the most important issues with thin client is the application of security policy. Web apps has a single point to apply security policy.

Controlled central login, authentication, authorization and verification. These policies are kept under the web apps and furthermore you can apply web encryption algorithm by using a Cipher strength in excess of 128bits. You can control and map IP to specific web apps etc

These serious issues could not be achieved in standalone apps, where all the security is encoded on each apps. The only remote correlation for standalone is database access. Even then apps do not know what each one is doing. It could be difficult to achieve a real-time processing using standalone. The only way could be batch processing.

If you implement a message-driven orientend approach to communique to other standalone apps you would be faced with network issues (i.e network traffic) and could lead to some message not reaching their destination and other issues. Then again you have to worry about that particular PC security policy.

I remember when I was at uni, we had Java swing Standalone apps connected to database to serve students wanting to borrow and return books. I know because I worked as a Liberian. The problem we had was not been able to identify when students has return their books when someone came in as asked for a book. We had said the book is on loan not knowing that the book is actually on shelf. The only way to know is next day, because we the systems uses batch processing technique.

I still have my alumni card and went to do some research last week and wanted to take out some books and found that the entire systems now runs on web apps and was able to solve those issues and even more.

Not only the system could identify that the book is back it could apply fine if it is due back and not yet back and someone has put a request to borrow it and message has been send to your mobile phone to return it.

Some staffs can work at home those that do book acquisition and other remote tasks. They they do not have to worry about issues like securities.

The point is that web apps is the intelligent way to deploy a distributed infrastructured apps.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 10:08am On Jun 23, 2006
Yeah but are this thin apps web based? smiley
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 10:12am On Jun 23, 2006

Yes, remember that Standalone could be thin client as well, but many issues like security, deployment, scalability, interoperatability and porting it to UNIX system could cost time and money.

Also, remember that web app could be fat client, but you have to worry about browser version and the user PC power i.e (RAM, Hard drive, CPU) and operating system, the distance to the server, network traffic etc.

Maintaining the fat client web app will post a very big problem to web developer, exspecially if the guy that has developed the apps had moved on to a better job, which they do.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 10:31am On Jun 23, 2006
Our tackling is quiet ambiguous. A standalone software is a software that has no dependencies, which means it is on its own terminal and run within its own terminal without any dependencies.

A Web based software is that which resides on a server and is accessed through a web browser whilst the processing occurs at the server end.

A Thin client can be both web based and also a desktop based one, as long the as the (client) depends on a client-server architecture for functionality, so it has to depend primarily on the central server for processing activities.

A Thin client doesn’t necessarily describe a standalone nor a web based application.

1 Like

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 10:42am On Jun 23, 2006
I'm really learning here grin
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2006
okay you guys see What Defines a Web Application Vs a Desktop Application?
A web application is an application delivered to users from a web server like the Internet. Some businesses run web applications on an intranet, as well. Web applications are becoming more popular due to the widespread use of the web browser as a client.

Some applications are better suited and more likely to become successful as web applications. Web applications designed specifically for search engine optimization, have become increasingly popular. It is easy to understand why web applications that relate to the Internet would prosper, while business applications may have less appeal in a web environment.

A desktop application is a self-contained program that performs a defined set of tasks under the user control. Desktop applications run from a local drive and do not require a network or connectivity to operate or function properly, though if attached to a network desktop applications might use the resources of the network.

Pros and Cons to Desktop and Web Applications:

Easily Accessible
Web applications can be easily accessed from any computer or location that has Internet access. Travelers especially benefit from the accessibility. This often means that if a traveler has access to a computer, phone or handheld with Internet connectivity they can utilize the web application.

Low Maintenance & Forced Upgrades
Desktop applications need to be individually installed on each computer, while web applications require a single installation.
Many web applications are hosted by a 3rd party and the maintenance fall under the applications hosts responsibility. The ability to update and maintain web applications without distributing and installing software on potentially thousands of client computers is a key reason for the popularity of web based applications. This can be a blessing and a curse as users of web applications on hosted systems are at the mercy of the host, if an upgrade does not go well, or the individual user doesn't want or need the new features the upgrade will still go forward.

Increased Security Risks
There are always risks involved when dealing with working online, regardless of how secure a host might say a web application is, that fact of the matter stands that the security risk of running an application of the Internet is more significant than when running an application on a standalone desktop computer. Some applications require more security than others, playing Sudoku on a web application would cause little concern, but dealing with sensitive corporate formulas or accounting details in a web environment might be determined risky.

Cost
Over the life of the software use, web applications are typically significantly more expensive over time. Desktop applications are purchased outright and rarely is their a recurring fee for the software use. Some desktop applications do have maintenance fees or fee based upgrades associated with them, but rarely is there a subscription fee associated with the software's ongoing use.

Many corporate web applications use a different model, users typically are charged monthly service fee to operate the software. Fees are considered "subscription fees". If you fail to renew your subscription you may be unable to access the data stored in the web application.

Connectivity
Web applications rely on persistent and unmanaged connectivity. If you do not have an Internet connection or if your host does not have Internet connectivity you cannot access the information. Critical applications or businesses that are time sensitive cannot risk denial of service attacks or power outages to interrupt their operations and access data that is sensitive.

Slower
Web applications that rely on the Internet to transfer data rather than a computer's local hard drive, may operate slower. The speed may also vary based on number of users accessing the application.

Backups & Ownership.
Regardless of the platform, companies need to be sure that their data is appropriately backed up. When using a web application that are hosted by a third party, companies should clearly determine who owns the data housed in the application, and be sure that privacy policies prevent that data from being used by the web host.

Ultimately the accessibility of web based applications make them very desirable. Web applications have some fundamental limitations in their functionality, and are better suited for specific tasks. Understanding the pro's and con's to each business model, will help users determine whether a desktop application or web application will better suit their needs.
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 10:53am On Jun 23, 2006
But have this at the back of your mind that we talking about Offline the web based software been offline. just like Standalone Software
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 10:56am On Jun 23, 2006

Kazey, you are confusing your self. Thin client and Fat client is a concept of 80's first researched and adopted by IBM (International Business Manchine). Since then the meaning has gone through some dramatic change such as the computer they seem to address.

I have defined the meaning of modern fat client and thin client. I don't like using terminals, it is a concept of the 80's, I rather refer workstations or host PC.

In a layman understanding, fat-client is a software development process, where the middleware, front-end and back-end is put together into one application and deployed - by Valentine Obih 2006.

Thin client is a software development process, where middleware, front-end (UI) and back-end (database) is seperated to achieve load-balancing, scalability, interoperatbility, maintenace, etc to a single application. - by Valentine Obih 2006

Now with this my layman explanation, which is not quite different from most of the academic ones, could conclude that web application could be either thin client and fast client, and also standalone/desktop application could be either thin client or fat client.

The issues of choice comes when developing application for a large disperse users hence (distributed computing) and developing application for a group of people within a building (intranet/workstation), considering issues like:

1. Security
2. Interoperability
3. Scalability
4. Deployment
5. Portability
6. Maintenance

Fat and thin client meaning has gone under reviews since it inception. I would not be surprise if the meaning of Fat and Thin client still remains the same with the advent of JNI/JNDI and message oriented network communication.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 11:10am On Jun 23, 2006
sbucareer:

Kazey, you are confusing your self.
Are we sharing knowledge or trying to prove that we are smarter? shocked

This is according to wikipedia which goes accordance with my definitions.

A thin client is a network computer without a hard disk drive, which, in client/server applications, is designed to be especially small so that the bulk of the data processing occurs on the server.

A thick client (also known as a fat client or rich client) is a client that performs the bulk of any data processing operations itself, and relies on the server it is associated with primarily for data storage. Although the term usually refers to software, it can also apply to a network computer that has relatively strong processing abilities.

Stand-alone is a loaded word, used to categorise computer programs. The term tries to draw some distinction [/b]between pr[b]ograms invoked by some computer event and those invoked by other programs. However this distinction does not stand up to scrutiny, since the computer has usually to be running some program that prepares (and sometimes initially processes) the "stand-alone" program to begin with. Hence all programs are launched or prepared/processed by other programs (with the sole exception of the bootstrap loader), and no code can really be said to stand alone.

In software engineering, a web application—sometimes called a webapp and much less frequently a weblication—is an application that's accessed with a web browser over a network such as the Internet or an intranet. Web applications are popular due to the ubiquity of the browser as a client, sometimes called a thin client.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT WEB BASED VS STANDALONE KAPISH. smiley
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by Bolaji4349(m): 11:25am On Jun 23, 2006
Web base application and standalone application, i think from my own point of view as a network guy, web base application would have be fine for any enterprise application of any type, sbucareer  has said it all and i think i also support his motion. If the network is about 20-30 connected devices, it's understandable but if you re talking about 50 to infinite numbers of connected devices, then web application would be ideal.

For instance, a network admin trying to use a static form of addressing in a network of 100 connected devices-upward instead of using a dynamic addressing.

Now talking about intranet and internet web base application, i guess pulling the application from and intranet server would be as fast as it being on a standalone if the back end server is robust and process hundreds of client request with in a seconds, let say gigabit network solution is deploy, the response of the server will be as fast as you pulling it from a standalone. And again if clusters of server are deploy so that you can have network load balancing, you will have less down-time and some other advantages

Deploying a standalone application in an enterprise network would be highly un-professional for who so ever deployed it.

Now deploying a web base application vid the internet. This option is meant for servers for replica of database and wont be ideal for client-server deployment,
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by kazey(m): 11:42am On Jun 23, 2006
So are you guy saying that the network based standalone programs used by Banks for example are unrealistic and unefficient?

Or the standalone network based printing softwares used in companies for printing pool are unrealistic and unefficient?
Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 12:21pm On Jun 23, 2006

You seem not to get the point or you are trying very had to get the point, which everone shaa, the point is how many clients in the bank are using the standalone apps? Then again banks can afford to invest money on their host PC running in excess of 2GB RAM, 600GB Hard dive, with latest Intel XEON of 2X3.8GHz CPU and a fiber optic network infrastructure.

How many companies can afford this? Even if they do like I said how many users in the bank are using the standalone app.  In a typical bank, at most you have 20 customer service attending to their customers through a host PC connected to some sort of ATM network.

You have the manager at the back and Loan, mortgage and credit card managers. At most you have at most 100 staffs working in a bank that requires a PC.  Even 100 is too much but let say that.

Some of the problems mentioned above must not necessary impact on wheather standalone was deployed or web apps.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2006

Can you imagine if google was fat client. People from developing countries like Nigeria with most cafee using old PC specification and probably old browser assuming they pay Microsoft the real money for using her OS. You would still have people using internet explorer ver 3.1 because they do not have money to buy a newer license for more that two PC, (CAL Client Access License)

You could argue that you had download open source like opera and Mozilla Firefox, then you would be faced with compatibility issues with server side.

You would be faced with security issues as open source has always been faced with security problems. When you buy a web app software you would see compatibility browser list, they alway recommend explorer.

If you don't like MS that is you business but the man is worth $50 Billion and is giving 1% of his wealth to his family and the rest to charity and he has resigned as the CEO of Microsoft, but still remains the board of directors.

Try and work as a system analyst and propose a new system for your client and develop it and develop it and see if they would not call you everyday to come and fix it or change something. After a while they will see that you are costing them money and switch to a new analyst that would specify a web apps for the reasons they sacked you.

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by sbucareer(f): 12:55pm On Jun 23, 2006

Better still imagine if google was standalone app. The reason why google used web apps is the same reasons why organizations are adapting to web app. It includes but not limited

1. Success (Cut cost)
2. Problem or issues (transparency)
3. Maintenance
4. Scalability
5. Interoperability
6. Security
7. Deployment
8. Upgrade
9. Real-time processing
10. etc.

Do you know that some PC would not allow you to install them office 97 because of memory, hardrive, etc issues but thank to microsoft web office you can now access all Microsoft office product online thanks to Web apps

Re: Web Based Software Vs Standalone Solution by smartsoft(m): 3:14pm On Jun 25, 2006
hahahahaha funny man !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Ethical Hackers In Here ---> / Why People Always Think Those That Make Use Of Laptop Are Into Fraud? / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.