Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,470 members, 7,770,157 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:09 AM

V I K I N G S - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / V I K I N G S (4219 Views)

Beverly And Melvin Embarassed By The BBA Host I.K / I.K & Big Brother's Flaws This Season! / Notorious B.i.g.’s Son To Co-star In Will Ferrell Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

V I K I N G S by PureOhio(f): 7:19pm On Jun 04, 2013
From the annals of History Channel comes the blockbuster TV series - Vikings. This is an epic story that journeys through medieval Ireland and Northern Europe introducing the extraordinarily complex and violent world of the Norsemen.

Tracing the gripping saga of historical hero Ragnar Lothbrok, viewers discover this fearless warrior's lifetime of raids, trades and explorations.

As claimed direct descendant of Odin, god of war and warriors, Lothbrok embodies a mystical nature and devotion to the gods feeding his stealthy mobile maneuvers and audacious determination to become the King of the Vikings.

[img]http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vikings.jpg[/img]
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
phew!
i thought i was the only one on this show. as far as TV shows go, this is the best series out there. not even the GOT stans can argue this.....

the cast, the plot, the production, the historical connection were excellently made. travis fimmel delivered his role subliminally. i can't wait to see season 2.

hail king ragnar!
Re: V I K I N G S by khanivorous(f): 7:55pm On Jun 04, 2013
Raegnar loethbrok is just damn HOT

This show was good..8/10
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 8:04pm On Jun 04, 2013
khanivorous: Raegnar loethbrok is just damn HOT

This show was good..8/10

it's 11/10 for me.....
the soundtrack is spine-chilling......any producer that can infuse fever ray's song into a TV show gets 110% mark from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8
Re: V I K I N G S by Darray(m): 4:24am On Jun 05, 2013
You guys just gave me a reason to watch the season 1. Was waiting for reviews here before adding another series to my tight schedule.

Thanks.
Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 6:51am On Jun 06, 2013
coogar:

it's 11/10 for me.....
the soundtrack is spine-chilling......any producer that can infuse fever ray's song into a TV show gets 110% mark from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAzlNJonO8
I thought I was the only one that noticed. Loved the song but the song get as e be...
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 2:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
rodeo0070:
I thought I was the only one that noticed. Loved the song but the song get as e be...

that's the way songs should be made.....
the theme song fits the show to the T.......i like the fact they didn't copy GOT and spartacus in sex and needless nüdity.
Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 7:05pm On Jun 06, 2013
coogar:

that's the way songs should be made.....
the theme song fits the show to the T.......i like the fact they didn't copy GOT and spartacus in sex and needless nüdity.
The best opening song to a series so far. The song takes on a generally unconventional, dark and experimental style with its slow tempo, organ backing, repetitive synth beat and distinct vocals.
A critic reviewed the song as reviewed it as "a shivering, timely meditation on greed, immorality, and lust for power".
Another described the song as "dark and hypnotic", and "[taking] an echo of a Native American cry, but still [...] maintaining the song's dark undertone."
I give the song 10/10. Please can someone help post a link to the music video of this song for download?
Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 7:12pm On Jun 06, 2013
The Vikings. I'm in Episode 8. The show is awesome. It kinda tells the story how the Vikings lived. The Human sacrifice, their beliefs and mode of worshiping gods...

Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 7:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
Fever Ray...

Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 7:30pm On Jun 06, 2013
rodeo0070:
The best opening song to a series so far. The song takes on a generally unconventional, dark and
experimental style with its slow
tempo, organ backing, repetitive
synth beat and distinct vocals.
A critic reviewed the song as reviewed it as "a shivering, timely meditation on
greed, immorality, and lust for
power".
Another described the song as "dark and hypnotic", and "[taking] an echo of a Native American cry, but still [...] maintaining the song's dark undertone."
I give the song 10/10. Please can someone help post a link to the music video of this song for download?

it's on itunes......i got the album some 3 years ago and it's just brilliant. fever ray killed it, one of my top 3 most listened album of 2010.
Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 7:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
Fever Ray...

Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
coogar:

it's on itunes......i got the album some 3 years ago and it's just brilliant. fever ray killed it, one of my top 3 most listened album of 2010.
The song reminds me of Enigma's Return to innocence and Gravity of love...
Please can I get the video? I've sent you a PM.
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 7:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
rodeo0070:

the videos are on youtube......
they are also on itunes at $1.29 each!
Re: V I K I N G S by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 06, 2013
another show i should watch ?

..............lemme catch up with GOT tongue
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 7:54pm On Jun 06, 2013
adaobi123: another show i should watch ?

..............lemme catch up with GOT tongue

this is better than GOT!
Re: V I K I N G S by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
coogar:

this is better than GOT!

Realllyyy ?

I shall be the judge of that !

I love shows like this cool smiley
Re: V I K I N G S by rodeo0070(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2013
coogar:

the videos are on youtube......
they are also on itunes at $1.29 each!
Any free download for the video "if I had heart"?
Re: V I K I N G S by khanivorous(f): 10:14pm On Jun 06, 2013
rodeo0070:

Wow...gravity of love and return to innocence send chills into me...

Wit fever ray's when I grow up and keep the streets empty for me just nailed my coffin
Re: V I K I N G S by PureOhio(f): 2:45pm On Jun 07, 2013
I am so glad there are many people interested in Vikings. This is the pound for pound comparison of a blogger and I kind of agreed with him.

Game of Thrones is currently the biggest Juggernaut on air. It’s got massive backing, a rabid fanbase, and it’s the most illegally downloaded show out there. This is all while being on HBO, which you have to pay to watch.

Meanwhile, Vikings is on the History Channel and sorta slides in after The Bible because the History Channel doesn't want to come down solidly on one side of religion or the other.

Why am I comparing them? Well, partially because presenting at the East Central Indiana Social Media Group took a lot of time out of reading time this week, partially because a lot of people are going to anyway. It’s like Buffy and Charmed, you can’t NOT compare them, even if you don’t want to.

Both shows are historical dramas in the dung ages and focus on kings, battles, religion, and morally grey characters. They’re visually similar, both having a Grey Filter for a lot of shots. They both have actors you've probably seen somewhere else.

So, which is better? Let’s find out. I’ll split this into four categories: Characters, Story, Addiction, and The Prestige.

Character:
If we go in terms of quantity, Game of Thrones has more. Dear gods, Game of Thrones has more. Tyrion, Arya, John Snow, Robb, Lady Stark, Daenerys Targaryen, Stannis Baratheon, Theon Greyjoy, Sam, and that’s just the main characters. I probably forgot some. Each has their own individual plotlines.

Tyrion
★★★★★
Arya
★★★★★
John Snow
★★
Robb Stark
★★
Lady Stark
★★
Daenerys
★★★★
Stannis

Theon

Sam
★★★★
Average:
★★★

Meanwhile, Vikings is more focused on Ragnar, the guile-hero, who’s clearly the main character, but his Nakama definitely gets their own screen time. Athelstan, Lagertha, Rollo, Floki, Ragnar’s kids, even some of the villains get their own arcs. The characters aren’t all as likeable, and only one is female, but since there’s LESS of them we get to know them much better. It’s hard to judge characters, so I’ll give them stars out of five for how interested I am in their arc.

Ragnar
★★★★
Lagertha
★★★★★
Rollo
★★★★
Floki
★★★★
Athelstan
★★★★★
Earl Haraldson
★★★
Average:
★★★★

While I care a lot about Tyrion, Arya and Daenerys, because funny, cool and dragons, respectively, the Starks don’t interest me much and I’m ready for Theon and Stannis to just go away. Sam is only interesting because I’ve heard he does cool things in like, three books from now.

Meanwhile, I’m really interested in all of the focus characters from Vikings, because they all raise interesting questions. I’m most excited about Athelstan, because he’s questioning his religion and it’s fascinating to watch it play out. Point to Vikings.

Plot
Second verse, same as the first. Game of Thrones has approximately ALL of the plots. John Snow is up north getting involved with the wildlings who are marshaling for war with the White Walkers who are chasing Sam to the Wall which is north of the ruins of Winterfell where the Starks lived until they started waging war to rescue their sisters who are captives of oh gods no. If you really want to know, watch the show or watch this video.

Meanwhile, Vikings has a few plots, most of them subtle things (Rollo trying to become Earl, Athelstan’s conversion) but most things center around Ragnar’s progression from nobody to hero to outcast to Earl to…who knows what, and his conflict with Earl Haraldson.

That said, Vikings has a fairly simple plot, whereas Game of Thrones has…all of the plots (no really, all of them) and still manages to tell good stories. It takes a long time, but they CAN make the plots work, even if it’ll be about four years before they actually resolve most of them. That said, each season some of the plots do get resolved satisfyingly. And I’ll admit, I’m more interested in seeing what happens to all the characters in Game of Thrones because, well, Dragons vs. Sorcerers vs. Zombies vs. Armies vs. Shapeshifters vs. Tyrion Lannister So, in the end, Point to Game of Thrones.

This comes down to which do I want to watch more as the weeks go on. As it stands, I want to watch Vikings more, every time. You’d think Game of Thrones, because of all the cliffhangers, but no. That’s the trouble with having nine (or more, hell, I totally forgot Sansa and Jeoffry) characters to keep track of, half of them will be in peril at the end of the episode INEVITABLY. (Oh and also Bran, he’s got a separate plotline too. Christ!) Because I know there’s going to be a cliffhanger and probably no satisfying ending, and because I’ll often forget which of four cliffhangers happened first.

Meanwhile with Vikings, each episode ends with either a single cliffhanger or with conflicts mounting, but having a stasis, however uneasy, at the end of each episode. Also, the character development is slow and interesting, and I want to see how things will change and if there’ll be a big payoff. I’ve mentioned Athelstan the Monk. Ragnar’s slave, friend, and almost lover, he has a fascinating and slow building arc towards possibly converting from Christianity to Paganism. It’s fascinating and treated with subtlety, and they show a lot of reasons why he would apart from just loneliness and separation from others of his own faith. Right now, that’s what I most want to see played out over the week. So, point to Vikings.

The Prestige

The Prestige is which show delivers the goods. Essentially it’s judging which exotic dancer manages to flash its gussets better. While on the Point to Game of Thrones.

Sorry, Vikings. I love you, but you don’t have Dragons or Zomibes. And while I’m delighted by your frequent use of the mythology I hold most dear, there’s still only so much you’re going to do on a lesser budget with only so many characters. That said, Vikings is quite enjoyable to watch, both in terms of visuals and story. I’m always glad to see what Floki is up to, and I need more Lagertha like I need my shower in the morning.

But in the end, Game of Thrones is more magnificent and will probably last longer. It’s also more memetic. You see “House Lannister” shirts all over the place, or shirts with a squid that read “We do not Sow” and I’ve heard my neighbors shouting “THE KING IN THE NORTH!” at all hours of the night. So, this Point goes to Game of Thrones.

As you’ve noticed, now the points are even. In the end, they’re both great shows. Vikings is personal and fun, whereas Game of Thrones is big and Epic and Flashy. Both deliver different things and have different reasons to exist. I’d say watch both of them, you’ve got nothing to lose. But if you have to choose which to watch as it airs, watch Vikings, because it needs viewers. Even if it does have a second season.

1 Like

Re: V I K I N G S by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 07, 2013
Yes sir! Reporting smiley
Re: V I K I N G S by goldplated(m): 9:09am On Jun 08, 2013
coogar: phew!
i thought i was the only one on this show. as far as TV shows go, this is the best series out there. not even the GOT stans can argue this.....

please please please please please pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! angry
Re: V I K I N G S by coogar: 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
Vikin: Yes sir! Reporting smiley

you are not a viking....
we should sue you for using that name sef!

goldplated:
please please please please please pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! angry

please what??
Re: V I K I N G S by AbujaBlue: 9:26pm On Aug 30, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1248652/vikings-new-tv-show-lovers

This is a fun TV show. But it is no where close to GOT standards...

(1) (Reply)

The Notebook (a movie) / Vote For Your Favorite New Tv Drama Series / The Best Tv Antenna In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.