Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians (11754 Views)

NOI: 70% Of Nigerians Approves Buhari's 30 Days Performance / I ‘ve No Regrets Losing To Buhari – Jonathan / Buhari Leaves London On British Airways For Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Jamco45: 2:05pm On May 09, 2008
texazzpete:

@Jamco45
YOU do research about businesses. The Nigerian Govt owns 60% of some jointly operated concessions with Chevron Nigeria, not 60% of Chevron Nigeria. Chevron Nigeria belongs to the Chevron group.

Read carefully what you post next time.

Please interprete this statement

"CNL operates under a joint-venture arrangement with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, which owns a 60 percent interest".

Maybe I interpreted it wrongly. Help me.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by bluehorizo(m): 3:59pm On May 09, 2008
Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, a British university trained lawyer, held sway as Nigeria's aviation minister during the last phase of the immediate past administration of General Olusegun Obasanjo (rtd) and his reign was momentous.

If for nothing else but for the fact that he brought the issue of the massive cases of maltreatment or mistreatment of Nigerian passengers traveling on foreign Airlines, especially the British Airways, Lufthansa, among others, to the front burners and indeed made bold moves to curb this incipient and very dangerous racial mistreatment of Nigerian citizens.

One quality which accounts for the success recorded by Chief Femi Fani-Kayode in handling these debilitating, scandalous and terrible mistreatments meted out to Nigerian travelers by foreign Airlines and, especially by the British Airways (BA) was his courage and forthrightness with which he confronted this emerging menace which nevertheless has continued now that he has left office with even reinforced vigour.

Before Chief Femi Fani-Kayode became the nation's Aviation minister, there were series of complaints by Nigerians on their horrifying experiences in the hands of the crew members of these foreign airlines some of whom are British, South Africans and shockingly Nigerians. The British Airways was once involved in an ugly incident involving a respected industrialist in Nigeria and one of the elder members of the renowned Ibru family who was sick and needed to be flown overseas for medical attention to be accorded him. This respected statesman was said to have boarded the first class compartment, but before the take-off of the British Airways flight, a crew member, ironically a Nigerian came to the aide of this member of the Ibru family to warn him that if the elder statesman kept disturbing the peace of 'her passengers' he would be transferred to another less dignifying compartment. Before that member of the Ibru family could say jack, the elder statesman had been taken off the plane and transferred to another compartment. When the complaint reached Chief Femi Fani-Kayode's office, the then minister of Aviation, in his characteristic no-nonsense nature, summoned the management of the British Airways to protest in the strongest possible term over the discriminatory and unwarranted mistreatment meted out to one of Nigeria's best known industrialists by the crew members of the British Airways flight. When the minister discovered, to his chagrin, that the head of the British Airways office responsible for this dastardly act was a South African national (a white South African) he did not spare him even as he tongue-lashed him reprimanding him not to think that he still lives in the defunct Apartheid South African regime.

The minister extracted strong apologies from the British Airways to the Ibru family and by extension to Nigerians who have protested relentlessly over the maltreatments extended to them intentionally by the staff and management of the British Airways.

Another major incident involving some foreign Airlines operating in Nigeria was the case of Lufthansa which operated double routes of Lagos and Abuja without legal clearance from the relevant Nigerian Aviation Authority. This was the case before Chief Femi Fani-Kayode emerged as the minister of aviation. He did not waste time in ensuring that this bad and illegal practice which led to the Aviation authorities losing millions of naira from what Lufthansa ought to have paid if it was legally permitted to operate double routes in Nigeria, a privilege which is not accorded to any of our Nigerian Airlines flying to Holland. The then Aviation minister summoned the authorities of Lufthansa Airline to a meeting in his office.

Thinking that the presence of the German Ambassador to Nigeria would sway the decision of the Nigerian Aviation authority to Lufthansa's side, the management of that foreign Airline came with the Ambassador of Netherlands to Nigeria who, during the course of the meeting, talked down on the Aviation minister. Chief Femi Fani-Kayode reportedly tongue lashed him and asked him to tell his people that it is the duty of Lufthansa Airline to comply with subsisting national Aviation rules and regulations in Nigeria and stop flouting the rules by embarking on double routes without permission or face revocation of their landing permit. Report has it that the German Ambassador thinking that it was still business as usual sought to convince the minister to drop his threat to sanction the Lufthansa Airline, but the then Aviation minister excused himself and left the meeting venue.

The German Ambassador told the close aides of the Aviation minister then to plead with Chief Femi Fani-Kayode that he never meant to talk down on Nigeria and that may be his poor understanding of the spoken English language may have been responsible for the breakdown in communication between him and the minister. Throughout his short stay in office, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode ensured that Lufthansa complied with this directive. During that period also, the then minister of Aviation convinced the then president Olusegun Obasanjo to convoke a presidential committee to investigate the allegations that foreign Airlines were charging discriminatory fares in favour of foreign travelers from our nation's shores and that Nigerians were paying higher travel fares than say American or British travelers from Nigeria to London.

Sadly, it was discovered that this allegation was factual. This informed the decision by the Aviation ministry then to order the foreign Airlines operating from Nigeria to abolish forthwith these discriminatory charges against Nigerians which he equated to apartheid. The foreign Airlines grudgingly complied, but as soon as he left office, the foreign Airlines went back to the old discriminatory ways of charging higher travel fares to Nigerian travelers in what is seen in foreign circles as a sure way to discourage Nigerians from allegedly seeking economic asylums in the so-called western nations of Britain or United States of America whose streets in any case are not decorated with gold. It is to the courageous decision of Chief Femi Fani-Kayode to summon the operators of foreign Airlines in Nigeria that some of them minimised the dangerous practice of spraying the Nigerian passengers traveling from Nigeria to their countries with insecticides and pesticides which they claimed are to check the spread of infectious diseases.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805090369.html
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by texazzpete(m): 6:22pm On May 09, 2008
@bluehorizo
Please don't get started on Fani kayode. That lout should be quartered for his ineffectiveness in Nigeria's service.

That story about the Ibru guy doesn't strike me as maltreatment in anyway. The guy was disturbing other passengers in the first class compartment, who paid top dollar to enjoy their flight. WTF has that got to do with 'maltreatment'?
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Taito007(m): 9:47pm On May 09, 2008
undecided
I guess Jamco45 is undecided on what to say.Following his first lines you know he was in support of mr Omotade but kobojunkie was the one that actually twisted his mind and he fell for it.So this so called "kobojunkie" is the one working on behalf of BA to distabilize innocent pple like jamco45
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Jamco45: 10:54pm On May 09, 2008
Taito007:

undecided
I guess Jamco45 is undecided on what to say.Following his first lines you know he was in support of mr Omotade but kobojunkie was the one that actually twisted his mind and he fell for it.So this so called "kobojunkie" is the one working on behalf of BA to distabilize innocent people like jamco45

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i know exactly what my opinions are and I will always listen to other people as well. I am not one of those people that says its my way of thinking or no other way. Thanks for your concern.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Kobojunkie: 11:48pm On May 09, 2008
Jamco45:

You are diverting. Nobody treated BA like the government.

BA has been privatised long time ago therefore it belongs to the shareholders not the government.

Bill Gates owns about 22% of Microsoft therefore he is just a shareholder.

Virgin Nigeria is Nigerian National Airline 51% owned by Nigerians.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with not knowing everything but I know you will not give up so I will. Owning a business does not mean you know everything about one. I own about 5 successful ones home (UK, Nigerian) and abroad (Ghana) and I will never claim to know it all.

Dude,  again,  owning some shares in your own company does not mean you own the company. Please do your research. What you own is shares. You give up fulle ownership when you sell shares to other people.  That is how it works in the business world, regardless of what country or company you are with. It is the rule with Corporations and even partnerships can fall that way.
If you honestly believe what you posted above there, then stop trying to dance around what is being said when you know it is not wrong.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Sonye(f): 8:53pm On May 10, 2008
Obviously this guy does not know anything abour share holding. I have some percentage of shares in dangote flour. But it still belongs to dangote. I am just investing in his business. GOt it?
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On May 10, 2008
Owning shares in a company means YOU OWN PART OF THE COMPANY. How can part of the company belong to you and the WHOLE company still belong to the man How does that math work out for you

In order for the man to go out to any legal office to claim it is still his, he has to buy back ALL the shares, to do that, other wise, he remains majority shareholder and NOT owner. Please people, stop trying so hard to make a point that is based on nothing factual. Owning a company implies you own 100% of the company. Owning shares of a company, implies you own a portion of it. That is the point here. jeeezzz
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by uche100(m): 10:10pm On May 10, 2008
I can't believe that some people here are still defending the maltreatment of  Nigerians abroad. Apart from being a Nigerian, maltreatment of any human being is unjust and unfair. Imagine what would have  happened if the maltreated Nigerian guy(recent case involving BA) was American? On the other hand, i don't blame those that treat Nigerians, Africans, as trash. I blame the African governments for not standing up for their own people. Perhaps they are scared that if they did,their stolen wealth would not be allowed in those European countries.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by bollingjoe(m): 11:22pm On May 10, 2008
somebody shld sue dem
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 11, 2008
bollingjoe:

somebody shld sue them
read below Nigerians don't waste time

The following legal action has been filed against British Airways
by the Nigerian Bar Association through their counsel Chinua Asuzu.

IN THE FEDERAL HIGH COURT, IN THE LAGOS JUDICIAL DIVISION, HOLDEN AT LAGOS, IN THE MATTER OF APPLICATION BY: 1. AYO OMOTADE, 2. OLISA AGBAKOBA SAN, 3. NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION

FOR LEAVE TO ENFORCE THEIR FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS
AND
IN THE MATTER OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS (ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURE) RULES 1979 MADE BY THE CHIEF JUSTICE OF NIGERIA PURSUANT TO SECTION 42 (3) OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA 1979

BETWEEN:

1. AYO OMOTADE
2. OLISA AGBAKOBA SAN
3. NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION Applicants

AND: BRITISH AIRWAYS Respondent

STATEMENT PURSUANT TO ORDER 1 RULE 2 (3) OF THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS (ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURE) RULES 1979

B. RELIEFS SOUGHT BY THE APPLICANTS

1 A DECLARATION that the arrest, detention, harassment, humiliation, intimidation, jettisoning, manhandling, molestation, persecution, threatening and tormenting of the 1st Applicant on or about 27/3/2008 on board the Respondent's Flight BA075 from London to Lagos without warrant or lawful justification by British police and law enforcement officers, with the assistance, co-operation and support of the officers and crew of the Respondent, in the circumstances of this case, are unlawful in the municipal laws of both Nigeria and the United Kingdom, as well as in international law, and violate the 1st Applicant's rights to:-

i. personal dignity, ii. personal liberty, iii. personal security, iv. freedom of movement, v. freedom of expression, vi. protection against racial and ethnic discrimination, vii. protection against national domination, viii. protection from cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment , ix. protection from arbitrary arrest and detention, x. rights-compliant social and international order, xi. national and international peace, and xii. good health guaranteed him by sections 34(1), 35(1), 39(1), 41(1) and 42(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999; articles 2, 4, 5, 6, 12, 16(1), 19 and 23 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights; and articles 1 to 7, 9, 13 and 28 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

2. A PERPETUAL INJUNCTION restraining the Respondent, its officers or crew or any of them, whether by themselves, their agents, officers, privies or servants, or otherwise howsoever, from doing or attempting or purporting to do, or letting any authority or person do or attempt or purport to do on the Respondent's flights, any of the following: arresting, detaining, harassing, humiliating, intimidating, jettisoning, manhandling, molesting, persecuting, threatening or tormenting the 1st Applicant, or in any other manner contravening the 1st Applicant's fundamental rights.

3. A DECLARATION that the 2nd Applicant, as a senior officer of this Honourable Court, a human rights activist, a public interest litigator, and as the President of the 3rd Applicant, is competent to join in bringing this suit, on behalf of the 1st Applicant's fellow Nigerian passengers, numbering over 100, on the Respondent's Flight BA075, in the public interest.

4. A DECLARATION that the 3rd Applicant, as the umbrella association of Nigerian lawyers with a huge stake in the advancing, defending and promoting the human rights of Nigerians all over the world, is competent to join in bringing this suit, on behalf of the 1st Applicant's fellow Nigerian passengers, numbering over 100, on the Respondent's Flight BA075, in the public interest.

5. A PUBLIC APOLOGY from the Respondent to the 1st Applicant, and to the 2nd and 3rd Applicants as representing the 1st Applicant's said fellow Nigerian passengers, numbering over 100, showing the passenger manifest with the names of Nigerians in bold italics, published in at least 5 major Nigerian dailies in terms of section 35(6) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999.

6. COMPENSATORY DAMAGES from the Respondent to the 1st Applicant for his unlawful arrest and detention, in light of section 35(6) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999.

7. FURTHER OR OTHER RELIEF.

C. GROUNDS UPON WHICH THE RELIEFS ARE SOUGHT

1.The Respondent's grievous desecration of the Applicants' fundamental human rights offends not only the municipal laws of the jurisdictions to which the parties respectively belong, but also international law.

2.The Respondent's heinous infringements of the Applicants' fundamental human rights constitute an arrogant attack on the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the provisions of which have become part of customary international law and justiciable as such in this Honourable Court.

3.The Respondent's malicious, racist, and sinister breaches of the Applicants' fundamental human rights are tantamount to a wholesale and dangerous threat to the Applicants' legitimate expectations of and indeed rights to a rights-compliant social and international order, as well as national and international peace.

DATED AT LAGOS THIS 28th DAY OF APRIL 2008
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 7:51pm On May 11, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble.  Where is your link?  

Has British Airways commented on receiving any "lawsuit"?  I think when we hear from both sides we will get the true picture of things. Meanwhile "he" remains BANNED from British Airways! All we have here is a one-man show from the "Nigerian" angle!  British Airways is not even paying you any attention with all the noise being made by Nigerians.  After over 2 months, not a single representative from British Airways to address your concerns.  You must be very irrelevant to them!

I THINK BRITISH AIRWAYS JUST SAID YOU GUYS CAN GO TO HELL AND ROT THERE! lipsrsealed
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 8:09pm On May 11, 2008
Check this out!

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=135644

British Airways increase buggage allowance
NEW. Watch live television from Ghana plus the latest Ghanaian movies plus OBE TV.

British Airways passengers on the Accra – London route on Economy class can now carry 46 kilos of checked-in luggage instead of 23 kilos while those in Business class can carry up to 60kilos of checked-in luggage.

[size=15pt]The doubling of the baggage allowance on the route has been considered by the Airline’s authorities to streamline baggage allowance policy on some ‘dedicated’ African routes.[/size]

The Head of Africa and Europe Affairs of British Airways, Mr. Pat Gaffey disclosed this in an interview with the Graphic in London.

He acknowledged that Nigerian passengers on the Lagos – London route for many years enjoyed 60 kilos of baggage allowance and said “don’t ask me why, it has been a very old policy which I may not be able to explain, but the good news is that our Ghanaian passengers are now going to have their baggage allowance doubled on our flights to and from Accra.”

Mr. Gaffey noted that Ghanaian passengers have exhibited loyalty to the airline and there is no reason why they should not enjoy the airline’s partnership. “With other airlines having increased baggage charges, the extent of our free baggage allowances remains very generous especially to our Ghanaian travellers”. He observed.

He said during the last 12 months alone nearly 50 thousand passengers have travelled on the Accra – London route.

The issues of 23 kilos baggage allowance for British Airways passengers on the Accra – London route has over the years been a source of worry to many a traveller on the route particularly when Nigerian passengers to London enjoy nearly 60 kilos of checked-in luggage on British Airways flight.

Investigations by the Graphic in London have revealed that when British Airways was entering onto the African market some decades ago, it placed Nigeria on the same level as the USA because it is a Federal state. A policy no one can simply explain and since then there has not been any change, while passengers from other African countries like Ghana got only 23 kilos.

He said in recognition with UK health and safety rules the 46kg must be in two pieces. “We understand that there are times when one will need to exceed this limit. Therefore, from now, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract.” He noted.

He said the airline will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage. However, he noted, “On routes where the baggage allowance is one bag, we will continue to allow passengers with reduced mobility to carry 2 bags up to a total of 23kg (51lbs).”

Mr Gaffey also noted that wheelchairs will be accepted for carriage irrespective of weight, but for wheelchairs that weigh over 32kg (70lbs) the passenger must notify British Airways at time of booking, or a minimum of 24 hours before departure.

According to him, musical instruments, TV news cameras and commercial spares are exempted from this rule but if a passenger is travelling with one of these items, and t weighs between 32kg (70lbs) and 45kg (99lbs) and cannot be broken down to smaller items; it will be treated as two pieces of checked baggage.

“Any item weighing more than 45kg (99lbs) will not be accepted as checked baggage and will need to be transported as unaccompanied baggage. You can pre-arrange this through British Airways World Cargo or contact your local freight company and if you are travelling with any of these items, please notify us at the time of booking, or at a minimum of 24 hours before departure.” He added.

Mr Gaffey hinted that the airline is introducing some modifications to improve consistency in the baggage rules and try to encourage a reduction in overall hold baggage weight, which will reduce fuel burn and emissions. And it will also continue to press the UK Department for Transport to remove the one-bag restriction for hand luggage.

This according to him, would reduce the volume of checked-in baggage and help to speed up airport processes.

I guess the British-Ghananian route is more profitable to the British-Nigerian route.  Why you are busy planning and planning "fake boycotts", British airways is rewarding their Ghananian customers by doubling their baggage allowance!

he he he he he he! grin

From the horse's mouth.  Mr Gaffey!  Not some cooked up "Nigerian spokesperson" from some Ota farms somewhere masquerading as a "British Airways" spokes person!

Please you guys should add this discriminationary item of news to your list of "boycott reasons"!  I just thought I should help you out!

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 11, 2008
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 10:01pm On May 11, 2008
Actually, I was looking for a credible link from the UK not one from a bunch of lying, thieving, block-headed Nigerian newspaper owners.

Definitely not one from your "Ayo Omotade" the terroristic tout!
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Blatant: 10:47am On May 12, 2008
Spermdrops:

Actually, I was looking for a credible link from the UK not one from a bunch of lying, thieving, block-headed Nigerian newspaper owners.

Definitely not one from your "Ayo Omotade" the terroristic tout!

Only UK links have credible news and Ayo Omotade has suddenly become a terrorist?

God help Nigeria.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Blatant: 10:49am On May 12, 2008
Spermdrops:

Sorry to burst your bubble. Where is your link?

Has British Airways commented on receiving any "lawsuit"? I think when we hear from both sides we will get the true picture of things. Meanwhile "he" remains BANNED from British Airways! All we have here is a one-man show from the "Nigerian" angle! British Airways is not even paying you any attention with all the noise being made by Nigerians. After over 2 months, not a single representative from British Airways to address your concerns. You must be very irrelevant to them!

I THINK BRITISH AIRWAYS JUST SAID YOU GUYS CAN GO TO HELL AND ROT THERE! lipsrsealed

A sign of the attitude they have towards Nigerians and reason why I'll not fly BA again! I travelled KLM to Nigeria last year and it was a good journey, not any worse than all my BA flights.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 1:35pm On May 12, 2008
Blatant:

A sign of the attitude they have towards Nigerians and reason why[b] I'll not fly BA again![/b] I travelled KLM to Nigeria last year and it was a good journey, not any worse than all my BA flights.

So which airline do you intend to hop on next, since KLM was not any worse or better than British Airways? Is this how you intend jumping from airline to airline?
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Blatant: 1:56pm On May 12, 2008
There is no rule against hopping from airline to airline. Most of them give the same level of service except on occasions when things like the incident being discussed happens.

I flew Virgin once to and from Nigeria and I thought it was better than most times I've travelled to nigeria. Maybe it was just a one-off but it was my experience and feeling.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Blatant: 1:59pm On May 12, 2008
Spermdrops:

I guess the British-Ghananian route is more profitable to the British-Nigerian route. Why you are busy planning and planning "fake boycotts", British airways is rewarding their Ghananian customers by doubling their baggage allowance!

he he he he he he! grin

From the horse's mouth. Mr Gaffey! Not some cooked up "Nigerian spokesperson" from some Ota farms somewhere masquerading as a "British Airways" spokes person!
Please you guys should add this discriminationary item of news to your list of "boycott reasons"! I just thought I should help you out!

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Nigerians have always had that level of baggage allowance so I dont see it as anything special being accorded the Ghanaians here.

you also seem to have a problem with the fact that Nigerian spokesman was quoted as speaking for BA rather than an oyinbo man. I take it you'll rather respect an oyinbo man speaking than having to listen to a Nigerian or African man.

Look inside your heart bro
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 2:42pm On May 12, 2008

He acknowledged that Nigerian passengers on the Lagos – London route for many years enjoyed 60 kilos of baggage allowance and said “don’t ask me why, it has been a very old policy which I may not be able to explain

I don't know why either. They should have their baggage allowances further reduced as punishment for not being able to maintain their own airlines, domestically or internationally to put them to shame!  Each Nigerian on any foreign airline including the so-called first class illiterate passengers should be entitled to just one nylon bag!  Period!

Blatant:

Nigerians have always had that level of baggage allowance so I don't see it as anything special being accorded the Ghanaians here.

you also seem to have a problem with the fact that Nigerian spokesman was quoted as speaking for BA rather than an oyinbo man. I take it you'll rather respect an oyinbo man speaking than having to listen to a Nigerian or African man.

Look inside your heart bro

Yes, I have a problem with that.  When some Nigerian-spokes person comes out of the woodwork to be used to do British Airways "dirty" work.  It just shows how low Nigerians will stoop for fame and a dim spot in the limelight.  All along, not a thing from British Airways. Then all of a sudden a "Nigerian spokesman" working for British Airways, probably employed like in "yesterday" will come out and start "defending" and "regretting".  In this case, I need a full-blooded white, hook-nosed, freckled skinned Brit, with rotten teeth to come on BBC World News to address the matter.  Not some spokes-person located at the Ajegunle motor-park branch of imaginary BA staff!

Does it not sound "fishy" to you? Don't you recognize when you are being used even to further humiliate you in front of the whole world?

Blatant:

Only UK links have credible news and Ayo Omotade has suddenly become a terrorist?

God help Nigeria.

He is no different from one since what he did by confronting the Law Enforcement agents aboard an international airline brought about chaos on the aircraft and subsequent "abortion" and "evacuation" of the flight.  Can he try that in Nigeria with the Nigerian MOPOLS from Chad?

How can any one in his or her right mind claiming to be living in any part of the "western" world do such a foolish thing?

The funniest part of the whole thing is that he calls himself a "British" citizen.  No normal "British citizen"would display such "Nigerian unruly and nonsensical" form of interference in the guise of a "good samaritarian hunch"!  That was outright lawlessness.  If he wanted to air his grievances, there were much better ways to do that. 

As punishment, he remains banned from BA for life, just like any Al-Qaeda terrorist will be treated.  How is he different? Imagine the disgrace world--wide?

I would have changed my first and last names for this alone.  I don't think I want to be internationally recognized as the "One" a foreign airline put on their "terror" watch list. Anywhere anyother airline sees that name, of course it sends a red flag of a potential repeat performance, since disgraceful Nigerian deportees will keep hollering and bellowing in resistance aboard international flights. This should teach most people around the world a huge lesson.  Especially if your native country cannot boast of one single internationally bound airline or even maintain the "patched-up" Tokunbo ones flying "above grass level" in Nigeria!
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 12, 2008
Spermdrops:

I don't know why either. They should have their baggage allowances futher reduced as punishment for not being able to maintain their own airlines, domestically or internationally to put them to shame!

Yes, I have a problem with that.  When some Nigerian- spokes person comes out of the woodwork to be used to do British Airways "dirty" work.  It just shows how low Nigerians will stoop for fame and a dim spot in the limelight.  All along, not a thing from British Airways.  Then all of a sudden a "Nigerian spokesman" working for British Airways, probably employed like in "yesterday" will come out and start "defending" and "regretting".  In this case, I need a full-blooded white, hook-nosed, freckled skinned Brit to come on BBC World News to address the matter.  Not some spokes-person located at the Ajegunle motor-park branch of imaginary BA staff!

Does it not sound "fishy" to you? Don't you recognize when you are being used even to further humiliate you in front of the whole world?

He is no different from one since what he did by confronting the Law Enforcement agents aboard an international airline brought about chaos on the aircraft and subsequent "abortion" and "evacuation" of the flight.  Can he try that in Nigeria with the Nigerian MOPOLS from Chad?

How can any one in his or her right mind claiming to be living in any part of the "western" world do such a foolish thing?

The funniest part of the whole thing is that he calls himself a "British" citizen.  No normal "British citizen"would display such "Nigerian unruly and nonsensical" form of interference in the guise of a "good samaritarian hunch"!  That was outright lawlessness.  If he wanted to air his grievances, there were much better ways to do that. 

As punishment, he remains banned from BA for life, just like any Al-Qaeda terrorist will be treated.  How is he different? Imagine the disgrace world--wide?

I would have changed my first and last names for this alone.  I don't think I want to be internationally recognized as the "One" a foreign airline put on their "terror" watch list. Anywhere anyother airline sees that name, of course it sends a red flag of a potential repeat performance, since disgraceful Nigerian deportees will keep hollering and bellowing in resistance aboard international flights. This should teach most people around the world a huge lesson.  Especially if your native country cannot boast of one single internationally bound airline or even maintain the "patched-up" Tokunbo ones flying "above grass level" in Nigeria!

almond, welcome back! grin
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by texazzpete(m): 5:06pm On May 12, 2008
I'm not a lawyer, but i know the NBA's prayer to prevent BA from ever allowing Omotade's arrest for ANY issue FOREVER is pretty dumb.

Why's BA made the scapegoat here anyway? Omotade was arrested by the british Police, not BA.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Blatant: 7:23pm On May 12, 2008
Spermdrops:

I don't know why either. They should have their baggage allowances futher reduced as punishment for not being able to maintain their own airlines, domestically or internationally to put them to shame!

Are you the famous Iche Oku actor? he he he
Spermdrops:

Yes, I have a problem with that. When some Nigerian- spokes person comes out of the woodwork to be used to do British Airways "dirty" work. It just shows how low Nigerians will stoop for fame and a dim spot in the limelight. All along, not a thing from British Airways. Then all of a sudden a "Nigerian spokesman" working for British Airways, probably employed like in "yesterday" will come out and start "defending" and "regretting". In this case, I need a full-blooded white, hook-nosed, freckled skinned Brit to come on BBC World News to address the matter. Not some spokes-person located at the Ajegunle motor-park branch of imaginary BA staff!

I

I get your drift here. We (Nigerians) always allow ourselves to be used, even against our own brothers and sisters. It's all for filthy lucre

Spermdrops:

He is no different from one since what he did by confronting the Law Enforcement agents aboard an international airline brought about chaos on the aircraft and subsequent "abortion" and "evacuation" of the flight. Can he try that in Nigeria with the Nigerian MOPOLS from Chad?

The funniest part of the whole thing is that he calls himself a "British" citizen. No normal "British citizen"would display such "Nigerian unruly and nonsensical" form of interference in the guise of a "good samaritarian hunch"! That was outright lawlessness. If he wanted to air his grievances, there were much better ways to do that.

As punishment, he remains banned from BA for life, just like any Al-Qaeda terrorist will be treated. How is he different? Imagine the disgrace world--wide?

I would have changed my first and last names for this alone. I don't think I want to be internationally recognized as the "One" a foreign airline put on their "terror" watch list. Anywhere anyother airline sees that name, of course it sends a red flag of a potential repeat performance, since disgraceful Nigerian deportees will keep hollering and bellowing in resistance aboard international flights. This should teach most people around the world a huge lesson. Especially if your native country cannot boast of one single internationally bound airline or even maintain the "patched-up" Tokunbo ones flying "above grass level" in Nigeria!

He is not listed as a terrorist and BA does not have the right to label him a terrorist.
Besides, there are several normal law abiding British citizens who have been involved in physical actions to stop deportations. It would be wrong to say that he is doing something no person in his right mind would do it. I think you'll discover that most people in their right minds will not be comfortable on a flight with someone shouting and being forced to stay down.

I dont want to go into specifics but even the Home Office will tell you about the several times when 'white' (you obviously respect white) normal people have physically protested against deportations on flights and at airports
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 7:56pm On May 12, 2008
oyb:

almond, welcome back! grin

Welcome back too! cheesy

texazzpete:

I'm not a lawyer, but i know the NBA's prayer to prevent BA from ever allowing Omotade's arrest for ANY issue FOREVER is pretty dumb.

Why's BA made the scapegoat here anyway? Omotade was arrested by the british Police, not BA.

Don't mind the illiterate London bush man!  He can't even dare to sue the British Met Police.  As far as I am concerned, he should pack his bag and relocate to Nigeria for good.  He is definitely a wanted man in Britain whether he likes it or not.  Imagine a so called "British" citizen suing British Airways on account of an "illegal belligerant" Nigerian deportee? How unpatriotic can he be by doing a disservice to both nations he is a dual citizenship of.  All he did was bring disgrace to both!

Madness I say!  Serves his arse right!

Blatant:

Are you the famous Iche Oku actor? he he he

I get your drift here. We (Nigerians) always allow ourselves to be used, even against our own brothers and sisters. It's all for filthy lucre

He is not listed as a terrorist and BA does not have the right to label him a terrorist.
Besides, there are several normal law abiding British citizens who have been involved in physical actions to stop deportations. It would be wrong to say that he is doing something no person in his right mind would do it. I think you'll discover that most people in their right minds will not be comfortable on a flight with someone shouting and being forced to stay down.

I don't want to go into specifics but even the Home Office will tell you about the several times when 'white' (you obviously respect white) normal people have physically protested against deportations on flights and at airports

Na Real Iche Oku! grin Or should I say "Osuofia in Nairaland"! grin  I am happy you get my drift about Nigerians allowing themselves to be used as scapegoats since they do not know their left from their right!

You think the British will come and tell you that Mr. Ayo Omotade is on their "terror watch" list?  British Airways do their things in a "clandestine" fashion, not like Nigerians that have loose tongues and leaking arses!

"I GO SHOW YOU" syndrome with only noise and hot air coming out of their nostrils and butt holes! Only to make noise and no action!  You expect them to come out and broadcast to the whole world that you are on a terror-watch list?  Banning you from an airline for life does not suggest anything to you in that fashion?  Please don't be naive! grin

How can anyone who is illegal be protesting being sent back to his own country?   See the one that died in Spain last year, protesting like a mad person till he lost consciousness? cheesy  Nigeria is sweet now, let them go  back and enjoy it without protesting. . . free ticket too! Look, I have advocated long ago to make a separate planes for those "shameful" deportees.  I don't want to fly with them even if they were my relations.  Next time if any of the should make any noise on a flight, I suggest they should be sedated with oxygen masks permanently attached to their nostrils for the duration of the flight in the "cargo" compartment of the plane, with a warm blanket and no food till they get to Nigeria. Infact with a cocktail of a paralytic and sedative agents till they get to Nigeria so we do not hear "Phim" from them!

Nigeria is still owing a lot of money for it's "deported" citizens world wide!  I should be suing British Airways for a different reason.  Inconveniencing me by carrying cirminals and terrorists on the same flight I am on.  Infact, I am gong to start my own petition next month in Britain.

Word of advice for you.  Next time you see a deportee hollering on an aircraft, get up from your seat and confront the pilot on a plane and see how many dirty hot slaps you will receive.  Or better still, try it with your Nigerian MOPOLS! wink

I don't respect whites or whatever you call them.  If you phock up, I tell you.  White, black, red or green!  If you are unruly and you interfere with the jobs of law enforcement agents anywhere in this world, you are a terrotistic agent.  SIMPLE!

I say try it with a common police man in Nigeria and get your butt cheeks scattered with a dane gun! You will not even be on Nairaland having this cyber dialogue! kiss

We would have been singing obituary songs for some terrorists by now and the story will not even make the Newspapers anywhere in Nigeria!

Rubbish!
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On May 12, 2008
So you have decided to move to KLM and the Virgin Atlantic. I wonder what you will do when you encounter another customer service fiasco on those, which will you jump to then??

Typical, instead of actually looking to solve this and build a better relationship with this flyer, you feel jumping from one to another is the best solution?? Well, way to fight the good fight for yourself and those around you. You should get the award then.

I hope you also run away from the British police as well. In fact boycott them completely and get your boys in the hood to help you out when you need help as it is quite clear that the problem omotade has is with British police and not with BA, even though he lost his luggage during the process.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by davidif: 6:42am On May 13, 2008
All Nigerians should boycott British Airways.
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by texazzpete(m): 7:35am On May 13, 2008
Where were you bold and brave Nigerian crusaders when Policemen were stripping females wearing trousers in Aba?
Where were you guys when Nigerian labourers were burnt alive in a Chinese sweatshop in lagos?
What do you do when you see MOPOL flogging Nigerian motorists, when you see an Okada man being forced to roll around in the mud?

When White people are arrested for snapping photos near Aso rock or in the Niger Delta, do you denounce your country for racism, considering the fact that an average Nigerian can snap innumerable photos in front of the White house, Downing street or Buckingham palace?

The Sad fact is that many people here are not even patriotic Nigerians. Check out the 'Pay Taxes' thread here in the politics section to see how many of these so-called patriots even pay their taxes.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-133267.0.html
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by member67023: 7:50am On May 13, 2008
davidif:

All Nigerians should boycott British Airways.
All Nigerians should boycott UK visa
All Nigerians should boycott British Embassy
All Nigerians should boycott British Pounds ££££
All Nigerians should boycott British Schools and Universities
All Nigerians should boycott British friends
All Nigerians (in UK) should boycott UK and come back to Naija.
All Nigerians should boycott undecided

ROTFLMAO
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 8:01am On May 13, 2008
Sorry, some of us are not criminal deportees being catapulted from the UK, US, Cuba or South Africa! Or pokenosing, idle passangers to fat to occupy the standard frugal "economy" seats on foreign airlines. looking for cheap fame and fortune.  We are law abiding citizens and such a thing can never befall us.  Only "miscreant" and "disciples of indiscipline"!

We are not boycotting jack!
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by Spermdrops(m): 9:53am On May 13, 2008
Sorry ooooooooooooooh! This thread can not be allowed to die.

LATEST NEWS!

http://saharareporters.com/www/letters/detail/?id=390

NIGERIANS DESERVE BETTER – DEMAND FOR WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT OF BRITISH AIRWAYS INTENSIFIES

Last View on Tue 13th May, 2008
Last Modified on Thu 24th April, 2008 9:42:54 pm
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara

[size=15pt]NIGERIANS DESERVE BETTER – DEMAND FOR WORLDWIDE BOYCOTT OF BRITISH AIRWAYS INTENSIFIES[/size]

With over 3,000 Nigerians calling for the boycott of British Airways over the maltreatment of 135 Nigerian passengers and Ayodeji Omotade on March 27, 2008 onboard BA flight bound for Lagos (Nigeria) from Heathrow, London.

The battle-line seems to have been drawn. 

Mr. Ayodeji Omotade was arrested for speaking to officials restraining an illegal immigrant that was shouting for help and not only was he taken off the flight, but he was charged to court. The aftermath of the whole saga, is the tension that this latest incident is generating in the Nigeria community.

Was Ayodeji wrong to ask or make enquiry about what was happening?

Was the treatment of Ayodeji Omotade by British Airway justified? Was the manner the illegal immigrant was handle justified in the eye of the law?

The UK policy is clear about the restrain of persons subject to removal:

“…The use of such restraints is authorised only according to strict guidelines.

In using restraints, the safety and security of the detainee and the safety of the escort and the public are the foremost considerations.

Only escorts who have had training in their use and who have Enforcement Instructions and Guidance undergone an approved first aid course may use mechanical restraints, and under no circumstances may any restraints be applied to the upper body, neck or head of the detainee.

In considering whether to obtain authority to use restraints, escorts must consider whether there are reasonable grounds for believing that an unrestrained detainee may use violence or seek to abscond, taking his history into account. Escorts must also ensure that there are no medical reasons why restraints should not be used.

Whilst on board a ship or aircraft the escort will be acting under the authority of the master/commander of the vessel and the use of any form of restraint must be with his explicit agreement, although once again under no circumstances may any restraints be applied to the upper body, neck or head of the detainee…” (Home Office Detention Policy).

According to Mr Ayodeji’s account of the incident, he heard

“,  noises from an individual being forcibly restrained but who was not visible because some police officers and some plain clothes people held him down. The noise continued for more than 20 minutes and I was concerned because the individual was screaming in agony and shouting in pidgin English "I go die" meaning, I will die. I pleaded with the officers not to kill him and my exact words were "please don't kill him"

If this account is true, then, the UK Border Agency and British Airways should be investigated for the mistreatment of the detainee in their custody. The law is quite clear that strict rules should be applied when restraining individuals subject to immigration rules.

However, Nigerians seems to be treated harshly by the British authorities for many years without any action or protest.

Just shortly after the May 2007 election, Nigerian Foreign Affair Permanent Secretary was delayed at Heathrow whilst he was in the United Kingdom to meet with his UK counterpart and there are horrible accounts of officials speaking to Nigerians rudely and using dogs to search their bags, something they would not do to the Americans or Saudi-Arabians.

Though, Mr Ayodeji has called for a front-page apology in a national Nigerian daily newspaper to all passengers on flight BA0075, a written apology and appropriate compensation.

[size=15pt]The Airline is still not moved by the threat of “worldwide boycott of British Airways by Nigerians,".[/size]

[size=15pt]In response British Airways said: "Police were called to the BA75 service to Lagos on 27 March after a large number of passengers became disruptive. Many were removed. We take any threats against our crew or passengers very seriously and this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated."[/size]

It is time to stop the mistreatment of Nigerians by the British authorities and many Nigerians were pleased to read in one of Nigeria popular papers (Nigeria tribune) that the Federal Government is investigating the concerns raised by Nigerians.

However, the situation is so tense that many Nigerians overseas are hoping that their government would make them proud by going an extra mile to prove that Nigerians were unhappy. During a call-in show on Naija FM 101.1 in London,

the caller wanted the senators to summon the British Ambassador for an explanation and also hoping that the Nigeria High Commission in the UK would write to the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, to request for an official investigation into the removal of 136 Nigerians from the BA flight on the 27th of March 2008.

Many foreign analysts of Nigeria press are surprised that many news editors have refused to push on the matter, which is quite unfortunate.

Are they true upholders of Nigeria pride” was the question my white work-colleague asked me during a tea-break at work.

I was too angry to respond because I know the UK newspaper would not tolerate that type of insult from any country or corporation.

[size=15pt]Nigerians top the number of deportees sent back by the UK authorities in comparison to other Africa countries and many believe, [/size]

it is time that Nigeria High Commission in London stop issuing travelling documents to the UK Border Agency to allow until they get a reasonable explanation for the mistreatment of Nigeria detainees and demand greater transparency in the deportation process to avoid the Spanish incident in London.

Please, let’s avoid the death of another Nigeria economic migrant.

Dr Sola Martins
Freelance Writer (UK)

BHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I laugh soteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, I begin cry!

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Thank you "admin Sahara"! Or is it Dr. Sola Martins the "freelance" writer from the UK!

Please the last time I checked the list of petitioners was still at 3000+. If you discount ALL the fake, duplicate come triplicate signatories for this lousy petition, I am sure the number will be drastically reduced to 250 from Mr. Omotade's village square. Out of over 140 million Nigerians?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  What a waste of precious time and cyber ink.

Another of those kinds of people from "Mr. Omotola" them village square of Nigerians! Please it is about 2 days to the boycott.  Any hopes of making this a million man/woman march across the world by the 15th of May?

[size=15pt] WHOSAI!!!!! DOG DEY BARK!!!! [/size]
Re: British Airways Regrets Maltreatment Of Nigerians by ow11(m): 1:16pm On May 14, 2008
Nigerians that can't talk about human rights in their own country, go abroad and make noise. If British airways stop flying into Nigeria, the pain would be felt more on our side rather than theirs.

Why wouldn't a deportee go quietly into the plane and sit down. Must they be dragged and subdued before they agree to go?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Military Pensioners Protest In Abuja Over Non-payment Of Pension / Fraud: FG May File Charges Against Ex-Governors In October / Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.