Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,775 members, 7,959,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:23 PM

Neymar Has The Potential To Be Better Than Messi, Insists Pele - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Neymar Has The Potential To Be Better Than Messi, Insists Pele (792 Views)

Neymar Has Signed For Barcelona / Chitalu Scored More Than Messi's In A Calendar Year / Calling Lionel Messi The Greatest Player In The World Must Stop! - Pele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Neymar Has The Potential To Be Better Than Messi, Insists Pele by fortuneprince(m): 8:16pm On Jun 05, 2013
The Brazil legend has hailed the former Santos star's improvement over the last two years and has tipped Germany or Spain to lift the World Cup in 2014

Brazil legend Pele believes new Barcelona signing Neymar has the potential to develop into a better player than Lionel Messi.

The former Santos star completed his €57 million move to the Liga giants on Monday, when he was presented to around 56,000 fans at Camp Nou.

Speaking at his unveiling, Neymar revealed how he was looking forward to helping Messi "continue being the best player in the world" although Pele is adamant that the Brazil forward has all the attributes to potentially surpass his Argentine team-mate.

"Neymar has really gone up the last two years," he told Goal. "He can use both feet well and get up in the air.

"The difference that I try to explain to the people is that both are really good. I love Messi, I love the player. But to make the comparison, I think Neymar has the capabilities to play better than Messi... or maybe not.

"I'm not happy, because Santos lost a good player! But, seriously, I think it's good for him, because Neymar was no doubt the best player in Brazil and now he gets the experience to play abroad.

"Playing in Europe is a little different than playing in South America. Football in Europe is a little more tough, while South America is a little more laid back and technical."

Ahead of the 2014 World Cup being held in Brazil, Pele does not believe the hosts have what it takes to win the tournament, instead tipping Germany and Spain for success.

"I think Brazil have an excellent opportunity to do well," he told added. "To win [the World Cup] is very hard in football, but the team has the players.

"The team had almost three years with Mano Menezes. Now, they have one month with Felipe and [technical director Carlos Alberto] Parreira, they are excellent coaches."

"If you had to select now, one year before the World Cup, I think Germany would be a good surprise, they have a good team and good players, and Spain no doubt. Then Brazil."

Re: Neymar Has The Potential To Be Better Than Messi, Insists Pele by Afam4eva(m): 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
Every player has the potential to be better than Messi but whether it will become a reality is another thing entirely. Neymar himself has ruled that out by saying that he's in Barcelona to help Messi remain the world best player. Meaning that it's not a competition.
Re: Neymar Has The Potential To Be Better Than Messi, Insists Pele by shugacaneman: 8:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
yet to be convinced at that kid

(1) (Reply)

Fixtures For 2014 World Cup Play Off Revealed / Kelechi Iheanacho's Father Decides / Predict Soccer - England Winners Today Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.