Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers (1025 Views)

Stone-Base Roads Of Governor Umahi Of Ebonyi State - Photos / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo / FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 07, 2013
** 561,883 Metric Tonnes of Cargo Moved via Rail

07 Jun 2013

By John Iwori

Not less than 561, 883 metric tonnes of cargoes have been conveyed by rail from 2011 till date, the Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar, has disclosed.

A weekly movement of 1,500tonnes, which is equivalent to 50 trailer load of cement for Lafarge Cement Plc, was also carried by rail from Ewekoro to Ibadan, Oshogbo, Ilorin, Minna, and Kano within the period under review.

There was also a weekly haulage of petroleum products by rail from Lagos to Kano, just as laterite was conveyed from Otukpo to Makurdi covering 100,000 tonnes. The laterite, which was meant for one of Nigeria’s foremost construction firms, SCC Nigeria Limited, is equivalent to 3,333 trailer loads.

Umar, who revealed this at the 2013 ministerial platform, Radio House, Abuja,said Nigerians have continued to benefit from the Federal Government implementation of what he called the “railway strategic vision”.

He stated that beyond the cargo benefits, there are also passengers’ benefits as more Nigerians are now using the rails to move from one place to another within the period under review.
His words: “In its determination to revive and modernise the railway system in line with the 25 years strategic vision, a systemic dual approach is adopted by the federal government entailing the rehabilitation of the entire existing narrow gauge lines simultaneously with the development of standard gauge lines”.

He revealed that the rehabilitation of the mainline from Ebuta Metta Junction to Apapa local station by the Nigerian Railway Corporation(NRC) has been completed while the sidings are in the process of being rehabilitated.

According to him, rehabilitation of the sidings and loop lines were meant to enhance efficiency along the Western line as well as the rehabilitation of the 300 kilometres link between the Lagos Port Complex (LPC), Apapa and the national line plus the spur line to Kaduna Power Plant Complex are being worked out upon addendum to NRC contract one and two.

Modernisation of signalling and telecommunication system to automatic train warrant from Lagos to Kano as an addendum to the on-going signalling and telecommunication contract is on. The ministerial tenders’ board has approved the processing of the procurement records to the Bureau for Public Procurement for a review and issuance of due process certificate of no objection.

He disclosed that Akere Bridge, Niger State, which hitherto constituted a huge constraint in the Western line, has been rehabilitated. He added that these were parts of the track rehabilitation work carried out by the federal government within the period under review.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/umar-561-883-metric-tonnes-of-cargo-moved-via-rail/149619/
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 07, 2013
Viewing this topic: Obiagelli ( f ), t-something and 1 guest(s)

"laterite was conveyed from Otukpo to Makurdi covering 100,000 tonnes. The laterite, which was meant for one of Nigeria’s foremost construction firms, SCC NigeriaLimited, is equivalent to 3,333trailer loads"- Thisday

@Obiagelli.., just imagine 3,333 trailers plying our roads? No wonder the roads no longer last. Thanks to the railways, those 3,333 trailers have now been taken off the road.

I dont know why some people hate the transformation taking place nationwide. Why so much hate and bad belleism? Why cant some Nigerians commend what is GOOD?

Yes, we all want more but we should appreciate the work done so far and offer constructive criticisms. I can criticise the govt for not building fast trains in 5 to 6yrs but not 2 or 3yrs. This country is over 50yrs old for goodness sake. If it were that easy to build fast trains, how come none of the past leaders built it in the last 50yrs? We expect the govt to do more but our expectations should be REALISTIC

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Toktee(m): 7:02pm On Jun 07, 2013
Rubbish!another Jonathan praise singer without drums
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2013
Toktee: Rubbish!another Jonathan praise singer without drums
grin grin
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2013
Still a long way to go but definitely a right step in the right direction.
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2013
Toktee: Rubbish!another Jonathan praise singer without drums
Yes, I accept the tag of being one of GEJ praise singers. But how is the report rubbish? Pls explain

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Garrithe1st: 7:11pm On Jun 07, 2013
Nice development!!!

I hope the person who takes over in 2015 sustains this....
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by homesteady(m): 7:11pm On Jun 07, 2013
3,333 trailers!!! That's a lot!! Just imagine this 3,333 trailers passing through that abuja - lokoja road!! Well I still hope the number of trailers on our roads reduce greatly, because they just make me angry when I am behind them!! Especially on abuja - lokoja road!!
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2013
Prof Corruption: Still a long way to go but definitely a right step in the right direction.
We have our different political interests but we must not forget that the essence of politics is to deliver development and services to the people. Any politics that fails to take note of this is USELESS.

Recently, I read a thread on the Opo Imo (not sure of the correct spelling) initiative of the Osun state govt. I not only commended the initiative but I also urged other state governors to implement same in their states. I have also commended the Lagos light rail initiative but criticised the unending work on the project. That is how it ought to be. In the end, politics is about delivery of services to the people and development

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2013
Garri the 1st: Nice development!!!

I hope the person who takes over in 2015 sustains this....
Everything must not be reduced to 2015

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Garrithe1st: 7:32pm On Jun 07, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Everything must not be reduced to 2015

Tell that to the Aso-rock drunkard....
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by rosebowl01(m): 7:36pm On Jun 07, 2013
It's a lie! Sincere 9ja just commended the work of a government other than Jonathan's or PDPs? let alone Aregbesola of all people. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Men, I just started believing in my country again.
My people, let us use this to start appreciating positive developments like this and equally condemn the bad ones without ethnic and/or political bias.

Sincere 9gerian:
We have our different political interests but we must not forget that the essence of politics is to deliver development and services to the people. Any politics that fails to take note of this is USELESS.

Recently, I read a thread on the Opo Imo (not sure of the correct spelling) initiative of the Osun state govt. I not only commended the initiative but I also urged other state governors to implement same in their states. I have also commended the Lagos light rail initiative but criticised the unending work on the project. That is how it ought to be. In the end, politics is about delivery of services to the people and development

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 07, 2013
rosebowl01: It's a lie! Sincere 9ja just commended the work of a government other than Jonathan's or PDPs? let alone Aregbesola of all people. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Men, I just started believing in my country again.
My people, let us use this to start appreciating positive developments like this and equally condemn the bad ones without ethnic and/or political bias.

That is how it ought to be. We must not blindly commend or condemn everything because of politics

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by UyiIredia(m): 10:11pm On Jun 07, 2013
Good development. I would urge that the rail transport system be effectively maintained.
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by rosebowl01(m): 10:47pm On Jun 07, 2013
Thank you for that. But it would be nice if you would consistently practice what you just preached. Maybe Eko Ile and co. will do the same. You've started it, and I think it's a good development.

Sincere 9gerian:
That is how it ought to be. We must not blindly commend or condemn everything because of politics

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 08, 2013
rosebowl01: Thank you for that. But it would be nice if you would consistently practice what you just preached. Maybe Eko Ile and co. will do the same. You've started it, and I think it's a good development.

Do you really expect those bitter and hateful IDs to say something good about GEJ? I dont think it can ever happen. Meanwhile, I'm guided by good conscience in what I post on this forum. I'm not a PDP supporter but I'v fallen in love with the govt of GEJ. Thats all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 08, 2013
Good development.

However I would like to have a feel of the degree to which movement of goods by road has REDUCED. Say by what percentage?

Also what's up with the bill to remove the monopoly of the NRC? I honestly do not believe that that corporation can deliver the railway sector we need for our development aspirations. We need our own railway gurus and financiers, like the likes of J.P Morgan, Cornelius Vanderbilt and Jay Gould of 19th century America.

Good move sha.
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 08, 2013
HNosegbe: Good development.

However I would like to have a feel of the degree to which movement of goods by road has REDUCED. Say by what percentage?

Also what's up with the bill to remove the monopoly of the NRC? I honestly do not believe that that corporation can deliver the railway sector we need for our development aspirations. We need our own railway gurus and financiers, like the likes of J.P Morgan, Cornelius Vanderbilt and Jay Gould of 19th century America.

Good move sha.
The bureaucracy in govt is just too large. I wonder why the bill is taking so much time. I heard the bill has been packaged and just passed thru the infrastructural regulatory commission and would soon be presented to the federal executive council. After approval by FEC, it will passed to NASS for passage. Its still a very long process but it will definitely reach the NASS this year and may be passed next year.
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The bureaucracy in govt is just too large. I wonder why the bill is taking so much time. I heard the bill has been packaged and just passed thru the infrastructural regulatory commission and would soon be presented to the federal executive council. After approval by FEC, it will passed to NASS for passage. Its still a very long process but it will definitely reach the NASS this year and may be passed next year.

Ok thanks. Progress is too slow though.
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by deor03(m): 6:04pm On Jun 08, 2013
Impressive. ..We need to keep the momentum
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
A
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by taharqa2: 7:11pm On Jun 08, 2013
Great!!!
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by Itoroetti(m): 8:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
9jaganja: Same rail that went off track? Lmao!!!!

The rail project started during Yaradua's era. Jonathan has done nothing!!!!

I guess ure not a nigerian,are u not aware that governance is a continous process?
Re: Nigeria Railways: Ridding Our Roads Of Trailers by thelastPope(m): 12:35am On Jun 09, 2013
9jaganja: Same rail that went off track? Lmao!!!!

The rail project started during Yaradua's era. Jonathan has done nothing!!!!

Rail does not and cannot go off track! Only trains go off track! Get some education and stop making a fool of yourself!

(1) (Reply)

The Slaughtering Of School Children In Potiskum (yobe State) / Hamza Al-mustapha Gets Hero’s Welcome In Kano, Arrives With OPC Leader, Frederic / Governor Ajumobi Has Just 3 O' Level Credits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.