Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! (2658 Views)

11 Nigerian Universities Are Substandard – NUC / Worst Form Of Child Abuse In A Nigerian Private Secondary School*pics / List Of Nigerian Private Universities That Does Not Require Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Nomski0(f): 7:04pm On Jun 09, 2013
I can't help but wonder if the price charged for learning at private institutions in the country are a little too much.
With the steady increase in failure in the UTMEs, some federal institutions are out of reach....that leaves the private ones whose tuition fees are high....question is should they be that high cause they are telling us that education is for the rich. Nairalanders your thoughts please.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by jmoore(m): 7:28pm On Jun 09, 2013
Do other countries charge less?
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
Nomski0 I pretty much understand your point. But they aren't saying education is for the rich. They just need the huge money to run researches, programmes, pay lecturers and erect academic building. Since government don't allow private universities to access the TetFund, they have to create an avenue of wealth for themselves. Little wonder why the huge fees.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
But then even in the US where education is of high standard, their fee ain't small but huge, the guy before me asked if other countries charged less. Yeah i agree with him because countries like the US with high quality education charge fees more exhorbitant than Nigerian universities' fees.
Most of them charge 2.5Million Naira per semester, i know a hand full of them.
People say if education is too costly, try ignorance.
Knowledge is power so do your best to be educated.
Shalom!
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
maxwello.yg:
But then even in the US where education is of high standard, their fee ain't small but huge, the guy before me asked if other countries charged less. Yeah i agree with him because countries like the US with high quality education charge fees more exhorbitant than Nigerian universities' fees.
Most of them charge 2.5Million Naira per semester, i know a hand full of them.
People say if education is too costly, try ignorance.
Knowledge is power so do your best to be educated.
Shalom!
dat is wen u re international student or going 2 profit making institution (private),

U can get a degree in usa as cheap as a cup of garri.
Get a 2 yrs associate in d community college, then d remaining 2 yrs in state university.
Go grab ur masters at d community college, u will end up saving a lot even more than 9ja private sch.

I pck of cigarette n 2 bottles of beer everyday is more expensive than d most expensive university, frm my calculations

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Dubemkelly(m): 3:14pm On Jul 27, 2013
Still same thing across d world....My sis in Ghana pays same nd evn stdnts in fed unis outside nigeria pay more....Its nothing nd dey hv der reasons 4 such high pay,quite justified
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by iamdsam: 11:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
Nomski0: I can't help but wonder if the price charged for learning at private institutions in the country are a little too much.
With the steady increase in failure in the UTMEs, some federal institutions are out of reach....that leaves the private ones whose tuition fees are high....question is should they be that high cause they are telling us that education is for the rich. Nairalanders your thoughts please.
I don't know when you'll read this. But I think am interested in you. Suprised? Don't be. Something tells me. This is my email and phone number. dsamigho@gmail.com 08097939269 I like to chat with you
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by iamdsam: 11:06pm On Sep 04, 2013
@Nomski0 I don't know when you'll read this. But I think am interested in you. Suprised? Please don't be. I like to get in touch with you. This is my email and phone number. dsamigho@gmail.com 08097939269 I like to chat with you
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Sagamite(m): 8:27pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nomski0: I can't help but wonder if the price charged for learning at private institutions in the country are a little too much.

It is all about demand and supply.

The amount of university-age students in Nigeria is huge and the supply of the universities is low.

Worse still is that the majority are of poor quality, so if any provider believes it is of higher quality and is private, then they can set a higher price to take the wealthy of the market. Obviously the price is also based on the cost of operations that provides the quality.

What needs to happen is that new market providers need to enter the market with lower quality and charge lower price (like Community Colleges of the USA) for the next batch of people that cannot afford the high price ones but unfortunately,firstly, the Nigerian economy does not have enough jobs to make it worthwhile for anyone going to low brands (you are basically signing a career death warrant) and, secondly, Nigeria has a shortage of academics to run any of these new entrants.

The Nigerian government opened a new set of 9 federal universities in 2011, while they are struggling to staff the existing federal universities. One wonders where they would get the academics to teach in these new ones.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by ugonna1054(m): 9:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
iamdsam: @Nomski0 I don't know when you'll read this. But I think am interested in you. Suprised? Don't be. Something tells me. This is my email and phone number. dsamigho@gmail.com 08097939269 I like to chat with you
like seriously?smh
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by iamdsam: 9:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
ugonna1054: like seriously?smh

Do you know her?
Re: Nigerian Private Universities Are Too Expensive! by Ndipe(m): 1:28am On Dec 28, 2014
And do they provide scholarships as their counterparts do in the USA?

(1) (Reply)

Your Favourite Bag Position(style) / This Is For Students... Enter If You Are One[photo] / Mock Past Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.