Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil (15453 Views)

" IPOB Nnamdi Kanu’s Arrest – Nigeria’s Biggest Mistake" - CNN / IPOB Nnamdi Kanu’s Arrest – Nigeria’s Biggest Mistake. CNN. / Describe Nigeria's Biggest Problem In One Word! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 10, 2013
Anxiety as India, Nigeria’s new biggest consumer, discovers oil

India, Nigeria’s new biggest oil importer and consumer, said at the weekend it has discovered oil at the North Atharamura-1 well in Tripura Block, raising anxiety on the future of Nigeria’s crude oil sale and revenue.

Nigeria, Africa’s biggest crude exporter depends largely on proceeds from crude to service over 85 per cent of its budget.

The country turned to India after the United States, which hitherto imported over one million barrels of crude, dropped its oil import’s volume due to discovery of shale oil in commercial quantity.

U.S Crude import from Nigeria, penultimate week, dropped to the lowest in 15 years, according to data released by the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).

Jubilant Energy NV, which spear-headed the Indian exploration said it has had submitted the notice of discovery to the Indian Government.

“Subsequent to the successful conventional testing in the Lower Bhuban formation in the North Atharamura-1 well in Tripura Block AA-ONN-2002/1, a Notice of Discovery has been submitted to the Management Committee of the Block and Government of India, as required by the Production Sharing Contract,” the company said.

North Atharamura-1 is the second exploratory well of the two well Phase-II minimum work program for the Block. The well was spud on 12 Feb 2013 and reached a Measured Depth (MD) of 11,155 feet (3,400 meters) May 17.

This development, Daily Independent gathered at the weekend has however raised concern in the government circle and at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) over the future of Nigeria’s crude exportation and revenue.

A management staff of the NNPC who craved anonymity because, he was not authorised to speak to the press told Daily Independent in a telephone chat the news of oil discovery was received with serious concern.

“Although crude sale is done through agreement, which covers some months and, at times years, you should not expect us at the NNPC or expect them at the Presidency to rejoice over the news of Indian oil discovery.

“It should sincerely make us to think outside the box and de-monopolise the crude oil influence on our economy. This, as people in government also know, should be done fast by developing the non-oil sector,” he said.

Source

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 10, 2013
VERY SOON NIGERIAN LEADERS WILL BE DRINKING THEIR OIL

17 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 10, 2013
If there ever was a case for developing an increased sense of urgency towards economic diversification", this is it.

13 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 10, 2013
Yea! I'm happy for them... In fact, I want every other country to discover oil grin

8 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Desola(f): 10:23am On Jun 10, 2013
eGuerrilla: If there ever was a case for developing an increased sense of urgency towards economic diversification", this is it.

Indeed!
Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 10, 2013
No oil sales = FG invests more in RND / Agriculture = increase in HDI

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Abagworo(m): 10:32am On Jun 10, 2013
Still boils down to what I've always said.

1) Oga Jonathan please develop Niger Delta with your remaining 2 years and stop wasting all the money on retaining power.

2) Grant the States economic autonomy so that dependence on oil will reduce as States will fend for themselves. The offshore goes to FG so your share remains.

3) Invest more on Agriculture and Agricultural/biotechnology courses in our higher institutions. Make Agriculture the most attractive employment for youths.

4) Allow our refineries function so that we can use the oil ourselves if they refuse to buy.

5) Encourage the Aba shoes and allied products because that could be our next highest foreign exchange earner. Rebuild the city and create a condusive industrial area with access to standard machinery.

6) The "Kano Pyramids" and Western Cocoa can be revived if my point 3 (give priority to Agriculture) is well applied. Its possible if Obasanjo could do it with cassava.

59 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by gbanikiti(m): 10:33am On Jun 10, 2013
One day, Nigerian Oil will be for only Nigerians! cool

5 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 10, 2013
Abagworo: Still boils down to what I've always said.

1) Oga Jonathan please develop Niger Delta with your remaining 2 years and stop wasting all the money on retaining power.

2) Grant the States economic autonomy so that dependence on oil will reduce as States will fend for themselves. The offshore goes to FG so your share remains.

3) Invest more on Agriculture and Agricultural/biotechnology courses in our higher institutions. Make Agriculture the most attractive employment for youths.

4) Allow our refineries function so that we can use the oil ourselves if they refuse to buy.

5) Encourage the Aba shoes and allied products because that could be our next highest foreign exchange earner. Rebuild the city and create a condusive industrial area with access to standard machinery.

6) The "Kano Pyramids" and Western Cocoa can be revived if my point 3 (give priority to Agriculture) is well applied. Its possible if Obasanjo could do it with cassava.

Please leave obasanjo out of this angry

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by gbanikiti(m): 10:36am On Jun 10, 2013

Once again you have spoken the truth! it's high time our leaders looked elsewhere for alternative source of revenue than depending solely on oil. cool

3 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 10, 2013
This shouldn't be an issue in the 1st place;

If only we diversified our economy alittle, then this type of ish won't bother us at all.

The coal in Okaba (Kogi)

Ajaokuta steel company (Kogi) the six largest in the world.

Iron ore (Kabba Kogi)

Lime stone (Itakpe Kogi)

Newly discovered Lime stone occurrence (Agwale Kogi)

Rice and Yam production (Ibaji Kogi) 2nd largest in Nigeria.

Coal (Enugu)

Tin ore (Jos)

Rivers Niger and Benue plus fertile lands (Kogi, Niger and Markudi).

Cassava (All over Naija)

Fertile lands (East igbo land(s)

Aba mini factories.

Tinapa (Calabar)

Great Onitsha market

The massive rubber plantation in Cross river.

The palm belts in (Kogi, Edo, Akwa Ibom, Cross river and Benue states.

And the sweet Lagos access to the ocean, our ticket to world power.
.. C'mon...

Abeg I aff tired, fxck oil joor.

23 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 10, 2013
gbanikiti: Once again you have spoken the truth! it's high time our leaders looked elsewhere for alternative source of revenue than depending solely on oil. cool
Oil contributes just 14% to our GDP bro... So, we don't entirely depend on it
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria

agriculture: 40%; services: 30%; manufacturing: 15%; oil: 14% (2012 est.)

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 10, 2013
@Abagworo, given our demonstrative flair for all things related to yahoo!, I see no reason why Information Technology should not be added to your list. India's success at attracting offshore business, for instance, means it is currently raking in $108 billion per annum from its IT sector alone.

...India's prized $108 billion information technology (IT) services sector is on a "knife edge" in the face of a looming vote on the U.S. immigration reform bill, which threatens the very business model the industry thrives on, says Nomura...

Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100763808

3 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 10, 2013
sheyie2007:
Oil contributes just 14% to our GDP bro... So, we don't entirely depend on it
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria

agriculture: 40%; services: 30%; manufacturing: 15%; oil: 14% (2012 est.)

We do for 95% of our foreign earnings.
Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 10, 2013
eGuerrilla:

We do for 95% of our foreign earnings.
Pls elaborate

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Abagworo(m): 11:07am On Jun 10, 2013
eGuerrilla: @Abagworo, given our demonstrative flair for all things related to yahoo!, I see no reason why Information Technology should not be added to your list. India's success at attracting offshore business, for instance, means it is currently raking in $108 billion per annum from its IT sector alone.

Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100763808

You are very right but I insist Nigeria needs to feed itself. We need to treat farmers as we treat Doctors and Lawyers because there is no health and law without food.

For the person saying I should leave Obasanjo out of it, I hope you are not trying to deny the fact that the Cassava revolution happened during Obasanjo era. Today he is retired to his farm just like he did when he retired from the Army. That's leading by example.

3 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 10, 2013
sheyie2007: Pls elaborate

Nigeria earns most of its foreign income from trading oil and not agriculture, services or manufacturing.

You would find a useful break-down of our economy here: http://www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/economy_profile.html

Agriculture - products
cocoa, peanuts, cotton, palm oil, corn, rice, sorghum, millet, cassava (tapioca), yams, rubber; cattle, sheep, goats, pigs; timber; fish

Industries
crude oil, coal, tin, columbite; rubber products, wood; hides and skins, textiles, cement and other construction materials, food products, footwear, chemicals, fertilizer, printing, ceramics, steel

Exports - commodities
petroleum and petroleum products 95%, cocoa, rubber

Exports - partners
US 29.1%, India 11.6%, Brazil 7.8%, Spain 7.1%, France 5%, Netherlands 4.3% (2011)
Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 11:09am On Jun 10, 2013
Abagworo:

You are very right but I insist Nigeria needs to feed itself. We need to treat farmers as we treat Doctors and Lawyers because there is no health and law without food.

For the person saying I should leave Obasanjo out of it, I hope you are not trying to deny the fact that the Cassava revolution happened during Obasanjo era. Today he is retired to his farm just like he did when he retired from the Army. That's leading by example.
I just don't like that guy

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by jimmysho(m): 11:15am On Jun 10, 2013
farming has been on my mind for the last 3 weeks
Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by seunfly: 11:29am On Jun 10, 2013
This has been anticipated since 5years ago, yet we are talking now. I think we Nigerians lack the capacity to plan for the future until die minute when we will start our fire brigade approach.

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by BlackBaron: 11:36am On Jun 10, 2013

You Sir is bang on the money.

Pity Nigeria doesnt know chit about contigency plans.

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by juman(m): 11:58am On Jun 10, 2013
The morning has dawn on nigeria. grin

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Demdem(m): 12:22pm On Jun 10, 2013
About Time. To Hell with the oil sef. Let miserable Asari, Tompolo, Boyloaf, and their kind get drown with it. I desire that the price crash to like $1.07 per barrel. it has brought more sorrow than good

4 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 10, 2013
Demdem: About Time. To Hell with the oil sef. Let miserable Asari, Tompolo, Boyloaf, and their kind get drown with it. I desire that the price crash to like $1.07 per barrel. it has brought more sorrow than good
hmmm.... where the hell have you been? cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Beaf1: 12:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
Demdem is very right.

Oil that is supposed to be a blessing to Nigeria has turned out to be a curse. FACT!

Without Oil, we would have developed the sectors listed above by Abagworo.

Oil has made Nigerians lazy. All other sectors of the economy was abandoned.
Oil has destroyed fertile lands in the delta region.
Oil have turned our politicians and leaders to rogues.
Oil gave birth to militancy, bunkering and gun running
Oil brought about the current hatred between north and southern Nigerian (South "feeding" the north)
Oil is threatening the unity of Nigeria.
Oil is making the West interfare in our political affairs.
Etc etc..

11 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Demdem(m): 12:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
berem: hmmm.... where the hell have you been? cheesy cheesy

Been busy for sometime now. Infact, am currently inside the creeks of Bayelsa as i am typing this. Come see "sufferment" from people's faces. Shame on Alams, Retardeen, syvia. We have much more potentials in this country than the miserable oil.

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2013
Demdem:

Been busy for sometime now. Infact, am currently inside the creeks of Bayelsa as i am typing this. Come see "sufferment" from people's faces. We have much more potentials in this country than the miserable oil itself.
Na so my brother! suffer suffer too much! abeg no let dem kidnap you for dia o! nothing do you. cheesy cool

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by ibrahimdoc: 12:37pm On Jun 10, 2013
If oil dries up, Ijaw lazy people will be a staunch proponent of One Nigeria.....By that time, asari tokubo will come out and say we are all brothers, from north, west, east and south....Greedy set of people.

3 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by olabukola: 12:39pm On Jun 10, 2013
Demdem:

Been busy for sometime now. Infact, am currently inside the creeks of Bayelsa as i am typing this. Come see "sufferment" from people's faces. Shame on Alams, Retardeen, syvia. We have much more potentials in this country than the miserable oil.
Hope its fish you are catching inside the creek since you pray for the crash of crude price.
Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Demdem(m): 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2013
olabukola: Hope its fish you are catching inside the creek since you pray for the crash of crude price.

what i do is none of ur business. Face topic. besides nothing is wrong in Fishing undecided Isnt that legitimate than carrying arms which ur govt seems to encourage?

2 Likes

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jun 10, 2013
ibrahimdoc: If oil dries up, Ijaw lazy people will be a staunch proponent of One Nigeria.....By that time, asari tokubo will come out and say we are all brothers, from north, west, east and south....Greedy set of people.
...Kai yaro! what will the north do if the oil dries up? will they still embrace One Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil by RedReact: 12:44pm On Jun 10, 2013
The earlier other countries start discovering oil the better for us. Our leaders have been blindfolded by the fortune of the oil to abandon our other treasures.
Afterall, with the oil fortune, what have the masses gained from the fortune?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari's Easter Message / Anambra State Government Signed MOU With 13 Firms At Investment Summit (photos) / Cardoso May Abandon Anchor Borrowers, Enaira, Currency Redesign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.