Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,345 members, 7,864,635 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 10:28 PM

Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network (1241 Views)

5 Ogbonge Reasons To Port Away From MTN Zone Plan Right Away / 12GB For N5,000 Who Is Joining Me To Port Glo Overload!!!! / Mtn,glo,etisalat,airtel.which Of This Network Has Low Call Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 10, 2013
Tis the 2nd day after i subscribed to the MTN 500MB data plan. The thing is, this plan comes with 250MB bonus data. So what I'd get in total after subscribing would be 750MB.
Great, right??
I'm afraid not.
Ok let's back up a bit to MTN Nigeria's reputation, these are folks that would give with one hand and take with the other. I know everyone remembers the “5times” bonus credit after sending a code via the USSD upon loading any amount of airtime. So if you purchased 200ngn and sent the code to MTN, you would autoMAGICALLY get 1000ngn to call your friends on the MTN (Nigeria) network until 11.59pm of the same day.
Now, what usually (I use that loosely because it is what ALWAYS happens) is that from the moment you recharge your phone with the airtime + send the code, up until 11.59pm, the MTN network would prevent all your calls from connecting successfully. Every single call, gets cut off and you'd be blessed with the “Network Busy” or “Connection error” notification (depending on your phone type).
Now back to my data plan case, I didn't send any promo codes or anything to get extra data. Heck, I didn't even ask for extra data but they gave it anyway. And true to form, since the day I subscribed up till today, my 3G enabled smartphone has NOT been able to browse on the 3G network. What MTN Nigeria freed up for me is the snail-paced EDGE network which every smartphone user out there would agree is next to worthless when it comes to things like downloads, web apps, push email, etc.
What's worse this time is that it's not just the internet that is disabled, the entire 3.5G mobile network is gone, literally disappeared. Unless i put it back on EDGE, I will miss all my calls, texts, etc. all because MTN doesn't want me to utilize the bonus data that they forced on me. I don't understand anymore, there's no need to compete with other networks and dish out bonuses to their customers if they are not going to live up to what they promote. They fill the newspapers with ads that show how they are giving bonuses and promotions to their customers but in the real sense of it, they give with one hand and instantaneously take with the other hand.
I am tired of this, I'm now focused on finishing this stupid 250MB bonus data they gave me on this compulsory STUPID EDGE network that I'm on so I can get back to the 500MB data I purchased. Maybe, just maybe that's when my 3.5G network will come back to me.
So sad, because before I subscribed, there WAS 3G.
And yes, I contacted customer care and even tweeted my problem to @MTN180 and got no solutions.
MTN, truly the worst network. And after this ish is over, I WILL PORT my sim to another network.
Maybe Glo or Etisalat.
Smh.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2013
even after get 2 sims with unlimited data plan, i dont use it. so slow and atttimes wont download anything. still rocking my glo. i used my glo dtat to watch the apple keynote live streaming
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jun 10, 2013
tumababa: even after get 2 sims with unlimited data plan, i dont use it. so slow and atttimes wont download anything. still rocking my glo. i used my glo dtat to watch the apple keynote live streaming

iv got a glo modem.. Itz seriously fast.. Thtz y I'm probably gonna switch to glo on my device.. I'm tired of mtn
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 12, 2013
Remember when I said I'd try to exhaust the 250MB bonus data on time to see if my 3G network wd be restored? Well exactly 8.20pm yesterday bonus data was exhausted (wch in itself is one hell of a feat to do on the slow EDGE network in 3days).
Well just as 1MB remained out of the 250MB bonus data, I checked if there was 3G and there wasn't any network still, so I switched back to EDGE. I used the next few minutes downloading sm HD wallpapers to mk sure I finished the remaining 1MB; and I did.
And to my utmost surprise, I switched the network to 3G and it came immediately; full bars and everything.
I am truly disappointed in MTN.. Very pathetic tactic from them.
Well eitherways this is probably the last business they're going to get from me.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Royaldee: 1:14pm On Jun 12, 2013
empty Hen is just a mess. they been deducting my money all in the name dat my BIS data cap has expeired. imagine loading a 500naira recharge card that dint lats u up to 20mins without browsing.
I think they are just bunch of rogues
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by twosquare(m): 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2013
Royaldee: empty Hen is just a mess. they been deducting my money all in the name dat my BIS data cap has expeired. imagine loading a 500naira recharge card that dint lats u up to 20mins without browsing.
I think they are just bunch of rogues
yea.dat fair usuage is just sheer exploitation .And u hav 2 sacrifice an amount of money 2 kick it 2 start again

1 Like

Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2013
twosquare: yea.dat fair usuage is just sheer exploitation .And u hav 2 sacrifice an amount of money 2 kick it 2 start again

Damn, mtn's service delivery is beyond poor.. I was managing before n even had other lines wv the bulk of my friends knowing only my mtn line. Thank God mobile porting.. I can ditch this useless network once and for all.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
When I read articles like this, I wonder why it is in the habit of Nigerians to run businesses down. I have been on MTN network since 2002, each business outfit has their catchment area. Before you come to conclusion, think if there mistakes on your part.
first your smartphone, smartphones where they re unable to perform what it ought to, best you could do, is to switch it off not sleep mode atleast 3minutes.
Check your settings, did you enable use 2g network saves battery,pls disable
You are given 750MB, what are you downloading?, which websites are you visiting?
Personally I am not porting to any network, all the network have the areas they serve me better.
I use my glo when I am travelling home or visiting lagos, or northern part of our country because I am sure of been connected all the way.
Etisalat data plan to have internet access in my village, because its network is stable than others
Airtel, I really can,t place it.
Be it known that you don't use main cities to judge the performance of this providers.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 7:22am On Jun 13, 2013
@ indigene
When a business is run like a fraud racket, you mean I should just sit down and shut up? Are you suggesting I didn't experience all I did? All the things you "suggested" I check in my phone, I did it and more.
As a customer/client of any business the first thing that is within your right is quality of service. Now I don't expect MTN to have the same signal strength in the heart of Lagos Island as it is in your village but when a network provider goes all out to ensure you don't use whatever bonuses it has given then as a customer what do you suggest? That I shouldn't call them out on it?
If your nature is to be a passive person that bends over every time to get buttt f+cked then I am sure you don't expect everyone you meet or encounter to be like that because I certainly am not.
I wrote this post to air out my experience with the mtn criminal network, if it leads to them changing their fraudulent ways then I guess I would hv done someone like you a favor who's a die-hard mtn d**k rider and if it runs their business down to the point where they open their eyes n realize Nigerians will NOT stand by and get buttt f+cked then that's also good.
Look, what brings about quality in any business is either stiff competition or a collective consumer feedback.
Hv a nice day.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by abrahym(m): 7:35am On Jun 13, 2013
same folish mtn gave me 400 naira after texting mother maiden name to 799, ask me to use the bonus from 5pm to 10pm. Yet they still deduct my money....day light robbery. Why port when i have the 4 network....am flexing on my airtel....see speed.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 13, 2013
abrahym: same folish mtn gave me 400 naira after texting mother maiden name to 799, ask me to use the bonus from 5pm to 10pm. Yet they still deduct my money....day light robbery. Why port when i have the 4 network....am flexing on my airtel....see speed.

yeah this exact thing happened to me too.. The 400ngn is thr but they don't deduct it... Instead they keep slashing your main credit.. These people are real criminals. Doing abracadabra in the name of giving stoooopid bonuses
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by SirJohn(m): 8:09am On Jun 13, 2013
@Wizard_of_O,
Please in what part of the country are you? If you dont mind as well, I'd like to attempt to address your issue
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 13, 2013
SirJohn: @Wizard_of_O,
Please in what part of the country are you? If you dont mind as well, I'd like to attempt to address your issue

my issue is with Mtn's fraudulent business strategy.. Can you address that?
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by SirJohn(m): 9:36am On Jun 13, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz:

my issue is with Mtn's fraudulent business strategy.. Can you address that?

@Wizard_of_Oz,
Can you sincerely answer my question? I understand how you feel but its not always what you think. Every service provider at some point have issues and it is feedback from customers that can help them sort things out.

You must understand that theres so much money in telecoms that you dont need fraud to make profit, how much more for a provider that has over 40% of market share in one country.
The industry is still emerging in this part of the world, none of the providers have got it right for now but they are all making effort; the challenges in this country are peculiar and it takes time to deliver that optimum experience.

Bottom line my guy, let me know your actual issues, I'll try my best to address it

1 Like

Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 13, 2013
@sirJohn

my posts are right there, u cn scroll up n address..
Happy reading..
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by overdrive(m): 10:23am On Jun 13, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz:

yeah this exact thing happened to me too.. The 400ngn is thr but they don't deduct it... Instead they keep slashing your main credit.. These people are real criminals. Doing abracadabra in the name of giving stoooopid bonuses
Bros it only works from 10PM in d night to 5PM d following day if u call from 5PM - 10PM ur money will be deducted ok
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by SirJohn(m): 10:41am On Jun 13, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz: @sirJohn

my posts are right there, u cn scroll up n address..
Happy reading..

And I am asking again, where exactly are you?
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 13, 2013
overdrive:
Bros it only works from 10PM in d night to 5PM d following day if u call from 5PM - 10PM ur money will be deducted ok

i said I experienced the same thing as in they deducted my airtime WITHIN the bonus period. I ddnt say my time was exactly the same as the other guy.. I can tell time, you know
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 13, 2013
SirJohn:

And I am asking again, where exactly are you?

lekki
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by SirJohn(m): 12:03pm On Jun 13, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz:

lekki

can you email me your mobile number, need to get more details from you.
Thanks
(my email is in my signature)
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
SirJohn:

can you email me your mobile number, need to get more details from you.
Thanks
(my email is in my signature)

that's highly unlikely my friend..
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by SirJohn(m): 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz:

that's highly unlikely my friend..

Okay then thanks, was only trying to help and to do so I need to know from exactly where you tried using the service, verify if it is peculiar to your location and even find out if there is a 3G cell serving that location and what capacity it is. If there is none it becomes an issue to be sorted out with the planners, if there is one then we may be dealing with a capacity issue or some faults of some sort.
Bros I've been around here for a while I no be small pikin for NL so its up to you to give it a shot.
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 13, 2013
@sirJohn

look, as of this moment, thrz 3G network working relatively smoothly.. Bt riddle me this, why is it that itz the exact moment where my bonus 250MB data got exhausted that the 3G network MIRACULOUSLY came back? Hmm?
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by amAZEing: 2:01pm On Jun 13, 2013
MTN is owned and managed by FRAUDSTERS. No matter how U throw money at it, it will still maintain her attitude towards 419_like business transactions.

And remember, Mtn like a leopard, can never change her spots.

SirJohn:

@Wizard_of_Oz,
Can you sincerely answer my question? I understand how you feel but its not always what you think. Every service provider at some point have issues and it is feedback from customers that can help them sort things out.

You must understand that theres so much money in telecoms that you dont need fraud to make profit, how much more for a provider that has over 40% of market share in one country.
The industry is still emerging in this part of the world, none of the providers have got it right for now but they are all making effort; the challenges in this country are peculiar and it takes time to deliver that optimum experience.

Bottom line my guy, let me know your actual issues, I'll try my best to address it

1 Like

Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by amAZEing: 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2013
Are u MTN. If u wanna confirm if issues he raised are location specific, buy an mtn line and move over to Lekki then subscribe for same fraud infested services mtn offers. You may finally get the clue of how it happened @Lekki.

SirJohn:

Okay then thanks, was only trying to help and to do so I need to know from exactly where you tried using the service, verify if it is peculiar to your location and even find out if there is a 3G cell serving that location and what capacity it is. If there is none it becomes an issue to be sorted out with the planners, if there is one then we may be dealing with a capacity issue or some faults of some sort.
Bros I've been around here for a while I no be small pikin for NL so its up to you to give it a shot.

1 Like

Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by LordReed(m): 8:08pm On Jun 13, 2013
amAZEing: Are u MTN. If u wanna confirm if issues he raised are location specific, buy an mtn line and move over to Lekki then subscribe for same fraud infested services mtn offers. You may finally get the clue of how it happened @Lekki.

Guy relax the gentleman is probably an MTN staff member trying to help. Wizard shoulda obliged him, what did he have to loose?
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 13, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Guy relax the gentleman is probably an MTN staff member trying to help. Wizard shoulda obliged him, what did he have to loose?

i knw SirJohn probably means well but this is the last time mtn is gonna rip me off.. I'm thru wv this network.. Time and again, they keep ripping me off.. Thrz no I'm gonna give them tht opportunity again.. Thanks though
Re: Mtn Issues: More Reasons To Port Away From This Network by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 13, 2013
[quote author=Wizard_of_Oz]@ indigene
When a business is run like a fraud racket, you mean I should just sit down and shut up? Are you suggesting I didn't experience all I did? All the things you "suggested" I check in my phone, I did it and more.
As a customer/client of any business the first thing that is within your right is quality of service. Now I don't expect MTN to have the same signal strength in the heart of Lagos Island as it is in your village but when a network provider goes all out to ensure you don't use whatever bonuses it has given then as a customer what do you suggest? That I shouldn't call them out on it?
If your nature is to be a passive person that bends over every time to get buttt f+cked then I am sure you don't expect everyone you meet or encounter to be like that because I certainly am not.
I wrote this post to air out my experience with the mtn criminal network, if it leads to them changing their fraudulent ways then I guess I would hv done someone like you a favor who's a die-hard mtn d**k rider and if it runs their business down to the point where they open their eyes n realize Nigerians will NOT stand by and get buttt f+cked then that's also good.
Look, what brings about quality in any business is either stiff competition or a collective consumer feedback.
Hv a nice day.

This thread will never address your concerns, hence if you feel so taking advantage of by MTN, and you feel that you are so right, what will it take or cost you to write a protest letter and submit same at their Golden plaza folamo ikoyi office and copy same to NCC
For others I am not so educated, but I had an education to get me by, alliteracy has become an establish illness in most Nigerians, they ability to read but do not understand what was read.
When service provider gave you a disount or otherwise and place a restriction, its left to you to use as adviced and profit thereof or breach the agreement and ran a lose.
I benefited #1200 from MTN my prefered network and judisiously used credit, to close an overdue deal.

(1) (Reply)

How To Download Paid Android Applications For Free / Solution To The Problem Of Etisalat Bb Subscription That No Longer Works / Top 12 Largest Smartphone Markets By Unique Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.