Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,229 members, 7,849,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? (3073 Views)

What Barcanista Really Want (not Really That Of Gbawe) / Politics Section Poster Of The Year 2012 - Katz, Gbawe & Naptu are finalists / *~ Gbawe Voted The Politics Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 12:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
Garri the 1st:

You still don't get ACN's point. There's a 20 year jail term for anyone who supports such an organization. The question is: WHAT CONSTITUTES "SUPPORT"??

If for example a journalist publishes a video recording released by BH, is that support??

At this point in time, to be honest, with the death toll and obvious fanaticism of Boko Haram, I would say that publishing their material only aids their cause and furthers their interest. This is a Group that needs to be fiercely and completely stamped out in every respect. Do not give them the desired publicity from which they garner strange sympathies particularly in the North!

So Yes, I give the very direct answer: everyone should please stay off them and allow them to be stamped out forcefully into oblivion. Human lives are at stake, for goodness sake, I cannot say that any louder!

Now, haven said that, please note that the provisions specifically extend to material support for the group and such other acts. REMEMBER THAT these are to be carried out under a law passed by the National Assembly and checked out by courts during prosecution to determine that there was material support. As such, I don't think that journalists are at risk.

But in my personal opinion, journalists should not help the group publicize its nefarious cause.

Now, one legal responsibility I can point to is this: if you see a crime being committed, or discover a person wanted for crimes, you have a civic responsibility to report it. Not doing so would amount to concealing or protecting an offender. Now, the code of journalists mandates them to protect their sources. This is in serious conflict with the civic responsibility I just mentioned above. You cannot meet both responsibilities: one must be contradicted, while dealing with such an organization. As such, interacting with such an organization puts the journalists at serious conflict of interest and becomes unethical for that reason.

Square scenario: you are a journalist. Shekau grants you an interview. You therefore know his hideout. But your ethics as a journalist prevent you from disclosing this and facilitating his capture. How is this ethical or moral?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by UyiIredia(m): 12:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
Garri the 1st:

You still don't get ACN's point. There's a 20 year jail term for anyone who supports such an organization. The question is: WHAT CONSTITUTES "SUPPORT"??

If for example a journalist publishes a video recording released by BH, is that support??

Here's what support means:

For the purposes of subsection (1) of section, “support” includes:
incitement to commit a terrorist act through the internet, or any
electronic means or through the use of printed materials or through
the dissemination of terrorist information;
receipt or provision of
material assistance, weapons including biological, chemical or
nuclear weapons, explosives, training, transportation, false
documentation or identification to terrorists or terrorist groups;
receipt or provision of information or moral assistance, including
invitation to adhere to a terrorist or terrorist group; entering or
remaining in a country for the benefit of, or at the direction of or in
association with a terrorist group; or the provision of, or making
available, such financial or other related services prohibited under
this Act or as may be prescribed by regulations made pursuant to
this Act.”

ACN is worried about the highlighted part, saying it can infringe press freedom. It doesn't. If it is used as a basis to curtail press freedom, it will be a misapplication of the section and what it was intended for.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by donchris999: 12:36pm On Jun 11, 2013
So, the proscription of boko haram is affecting ACN as a party? How does ACN connect to boko haram that they are crying than the bereaved? How will banning of boko haram affect ACN and its fortunes? How does it affect ACN's right to association? There was no place i saw in the proscription of boko haram were ACN was mentioned. Is it that if boko haram is banned, then ACN is banned too or will cease to exist? What is really the connection with ACN and bokoharam? How does this boko haram ban stop ACN from their right to associate? Did FG ban any opposition party along with boko haram? Hmmmmm!

1 Like

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by UyiIredia(m): 12:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

Square scenario; you are a journalist. Shekau grants you an interview. You therefore know his hideout. But your ethics as a journalist prevent you from disclosing this and facilitating his capture. How is this ethical or moral?[/b][/color]

Reason demands he report the location. He will be indirectly abetting Shekhau's activities by ommision of information.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by Garrithe1st: 12:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
donchris999: So, the proscription of boko haram is affecting ACN as a party? How does ACN connect to boko haram that they are crying than the bereaved? How will banning of boko haram affect ACN and its fortunes? How does it affect ACN's right to association? There was no place i saw in the proscription of boko haram were ACN was mentioned. Is it that if boko haram is banned, then ACN is banned too or will cease to exist? What is really the connection with ACN and bokoharam? How does this boko haram ban stop ACN from their right to associate? Did FG ban any opposition party along with ACN? Hmmmmm!

This isn't about Partisan politics, but about upholding the right to freedom of expression as well as Press freedom while at the same time supporting the FG's fight against terrorists.

This is about ISSUES and not POLITICAL PARTIES and your comment will not be balanced if you don't drop that "lens of partisanship".

Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 12:44pm On Jun 11, 2013
donchris999: So, the proscription of boko haram is affecting ACN as a party? How does ACN connect to boko haram that they are crying than the bereaved? How will banning of boko haram affect ACN and its fortunes? How does it affect ACN's right to association? There was no place i saw in the proscription of boko haram were ACN was mentioned. Is it that if boko haram is banned, then ACN is banned too or will cease to exist? What is really the connection with ACN and bokoharam? How does this boko haram ban stop ACN from their right to associate? Did FG ban any opposition party along with boko haram? Hmmmmm!

Exactly. ACN is a legitimate and registered political party and boko haram is an illegitimate and unregistered group of mass murdering terrorists.

No link, no comparison, no connection.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 12:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Reason demands he report the location. He will be indirectly abetting Shekhau's activities by ommision of information.

Exactly.

How this can be supported by any right thinking person, I do not know.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by donchris999: 12:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
My dear! I don't understand how this ban on boko haram is affecting ACN? Did they ban ACN in the process? Am just asking oo because i may be missing something i dont really know oo. #just confused#
Deep Sight:

Exactly. ACN is a legitimate and registered political party and boko haram is an illegitimate and unregistered group of mass murdering terrorists.

No link, no comparison, no connection.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by UyiIredia(m): 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
The fear of CAN and people like eGuerilla is that the phrase 'the dissemination of terrorist information' is vague and could be used to clamp down media reports of terrorist activities. Not so. Let's look at a part of the subsection.

". . . incitement to commit a terrorist act through the internet, or any electronic means or through the use of printed materials or through the dissemination of terrorist information; . . ."

The highlighted phrase defines that such disseminated information must be one that INCITES terrorist act. Need I precent what incite means ? Are media reports of BH an incitement (or a description) ?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 12:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
donchris999: My dear! I don't understand how this ban on boko haram is affecting ACN? Did they ban ACN in the process? Am just asking oo because i may be missing something i dont really know oo. #just confused#

I think its a knee jerk reaction from the ACN, who are in default "criticize everything" mode, but this time, they really went and criticized something that every right thinking person should support.

I support ACN governments over PDP governments, I did not vote for Jonathan, and I actively discouraged people from vting for him because I saw him as business as usual. As such I am not being sentimental here: Boko Haram MUST die.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 1:02pm On Jun 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia: The fear of CAN and people like eGuerilla is that the phrase 'the dissemination of terrorist information' is vague and could be used to clamp down media reports of terrorist activities. Not so. Let's look at a part of the subsection.

". . . incitement to commit a terrorist act through the internet, or any electronic means or through the use of printed materials or through the dissemination of terrorist information; . . ."

The highlighted phrase defines that such disseminated information must be one that INCITES terrorist act. Need I precent what incite means ? Are media reports of BH an incitement (or a description) ?

naptu2: Another example (question that was asked). Shekau makes a new video and posts it on youtube. Someone posts that video on nairaland. Are Seun, nairaland and the nairalander guilty of disseminating terrorist information (of course Shekau will be inciting violence in the video)?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
^^^ Uyi made an important distinction between describing an event and actively inciting, etc, nevertheless you should see and respond to my explanation above on the conflict between civic responsibility and journalistic codes on such matters.

I should also ask you if you were a Journalist who, by reason of being invited for an interview with shekau, knew his location, what would you do with that information? Nothing?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by Gbawe: 1:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
Taking unthinkingly at face value, it may appear contentious to most but the specific point the ACN raises are clear enough and with a basis in solid argument. I just try and refrain from talking about Boko Haram and certain 'sensitive' issues here because GEJ fans are entirely clannish with no capacity for logical reasoning. Go back to the period after the fuel subsidy riot.

Many of us here openly warned that Ribadu would be rubbished if he worked with the Government because GEJ is insincere, dishonest, ultra-corrupt and the main perpetrator, along with Allison-Madueke et al, of the subsidy scam. We were insulted here as "unpratriotic elements" asking Ribadu to "shun his national obligation". What is the state of affairs today? Did we not see them openly compromise Ribadu via drafting Orasanye and Otti into the NNPC board , which was one of the body under investigation, while the duo were still members of Ribadu's task force? Are we not vindicated today and are those who backed Ribadu then and touted it a mini-victory that GEJ could get him on board not the same characters insulting the man today?

Ditto for when I said devoting the largest budgeted sum ever to security in the National budget would not solve the Boko Haram issue if there is no sincere effort to bring soponsors of terror to book. I was even a "boko Haram sponsor" because I said the GEJ government can simply not meet it's insincere and facetious pledge that the Boko Haram will be brought to an end by June 2012.

Even now I have specific views about the handling of the Boko Haram issue but this is not the forum to discuss it. The article below hopefully clears things up because I certainly will not talk much about the issue. Had it not been that you are a decent poster who addressed me directly, then I am comfortable not talking at all about the government's actions over Boko Haram. Where we find ourselves is where we find ourselves since grown adults want to be sentimental and biased kids who blind themselves to what is obvious and logical.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/acn-boko-harams-ban-violates-constitution/

ACN: Boko Haram’s ban violates Constitution
Posted by: Our Reporter in Featured, News 1 day ago 68 Comments

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) has said that the recent proscription of Boko Haram and Ansaru, desirable as it may be in tackling the terrorist organisations, violates the Constitution.
According to the party, the proscription stifles the press and tampers with the fundamental human rights of Nigerians.
In a statement yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the ACN said the order also makes it easy for an increasingly intolerant government to clamp down on the opposition, which it sees more as an irritant than an indispensable part of democracy.
It urged professional media organisations to challenge the Order in court to save journalists from long jail terms “simply for carrying out their constitutional duties”.
The ACN urged the Federal Government to clarify “the knotty and vague areas” of the open-ended Order, that may end up punishing journalists and infringing on the civil liberties of the citizens more than it will curtail the activities of the sects.

‘’Against the background of insinuations in government circles, let us be clear that we do not condone the activities of these sects that have killed and maimed innocent Nigerians and turned a section of the country into a battle field. Terrorism in all its ramifications is condemnable, and no responsible government will allow any group, no matter its name, grievances or ideology, to carry out terrorist acts unchecked.
‘’But we believe that whatever action government takes – even in an emergency – must pass the Constitutional test, especially since the relevant sections of the Constitution have not been suspended,’’ the party said.
[b]It said the offensive section of the Order is Section 5 (1), which prescribes a term of imprisonment of not less than 20 years ‘’for any person who knowingly, in any manner, directly or indirectly, solicits or renders support for the commission of an act of terrorism or to a terrorist group’’.
The ACN said “support”, as defined by the Order, includes ‘’incitement to commit a terrorist act through the Internet, or any electronic means or through the use of printed materials or through the dissemination of terrorist information.
‘’Is this subsection not in conflict with Chapter II Section 22 of the Nigeria constitution, which says ‘The press, radio, television and other agencies of the mass media, shall AT ALL TIMES BE FREE (emphasis ours) to uphold the fundamental objectives contained in this chapter and uphold the responsibility and accountability of the government to the people?’
‘’By stifling the press, is the Order not abridging a part of the fundamental human rights guaranteed every citizen under Chapter Four of the Nigerian Constitution in Section 39 (1), which states thus: ‘Every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information without interference?’(emphasis ours).
‘’Can journalists escape being sentenced to 20-year jail terms for publishing statements issued by the sects? Can they freely report on videos periodically posted on YouTube by Boko Haram leader Shekau? Can the media freely report the kind of massacre that took place in Baga in April without being held liable for ‘supporting’ terrorism? Can radio and television stations organise talk shows on terrorism without the discussants being held liable for ‘supporting’ terrorism?
‘’Can the opposition criticise the government’s strategies against the terrorist sects, through its regular intervention, without being perceived as offering support to the sects? Does this Order cover the satellite broadcast channels that can be accessed in many homes across the country? Who determines when this Order has been breached? These are some of the questions that arise under the proscription Order,’’ the party said.[/b]

It said the government must take a cue from what obtains in other countries, especially in the US, which are also battling terrorism, adding that the media in those countries have continued to report freely on the activities of the global terrorist organisation Al-Qaeda, despite the horrendous attacks it has carried out in the US and Europe, among others.
‘’In a statement we issued on May 5th, we said inter alia: ‘The Jonathan Administration is steadily descending into despotism with a brazen assault on the freedom of expression and the press, the use of national institutions against perceived enemies and a growing inclination to denigrate opposition leaders.
‘’The Jonathan Administration is anchored on a Transformation Agenda. But the only transformation that we can see is the one from a democratically-elected
President to an Emperor, a despot…If the President is not prevailed upon to change course, Nigeria may be in for another season of anomie, reminiscent of the days of the maximum ruler who took the country to the brink before his sudden demise.’
‘’We hate to say this has turned out to be prescient, in view of the dangerous provisions of the Boko Haram’s and Ansaru’s proscription Order. The Order’s assault on the press freedom and the Constitutionally-guaranteed rights of ordinary Nigerians is unprecedented in the country’s history. We call on the Federal Government to take a second look at this Order, with a view to resolving any conflict it may have with the Constitution,” the ACN said.
In a reaction to the AC N statement, House of Representatives Minority Leader Femi Gbajabiamila said: “You make a controversial butb an interesting and valid point. The order itself is in order but for the word support which is ambiguous n needs interpretation.”
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
Gbawe: Taking unthinkingly at face value, it may appear contentious to most but the specific point the ACN raises are clear enough and with a basis in solid argument. I just try and refrain from talking about Boko Haram and certain 'sensitive' issues here because GEJ fans are entirely clannish with no capacity for logical reasoning. Go back to the period after the fuel subsidy riot.

Many of us here openly warned that Ribadu would be rubbished if he worked with the Government because GEJ is insincere, dishonest, ultra-corrupt and the main perpetrator, along with Allison-Madueke et al, of the subsidy scam. We were insulted here as "unpratriotic elements" asking Ribadu to "shun his national obligation". What is the state of affairs today? Did we not see them openly compromise Ribadu via drafting Orasanye and Otti into the NNPC board , which was one of the body under investigation, while the duo were still members of Ribadu's task force? Are we not vindicated today and are those who backed Ribadu then and touted it a mini-victory that GEJ could get him on board not the same characters insulting the man today?

Ditto for when I said devoting the largest budgeted sum ever to security in the National budget would not solve the Boko Haram issue if there is no sincere effort to bring soponsors of terror to book. I was even a "boko Haram sponsor" because I said the GEJ government can simply not meet it's insincere and facetious pledge that the Boko Haram will be brought to an end by June 2012.

Even now I have specific views about the handling of the Boko Haram issue but this is not the forum to discuss it. The article below hopefully clears things up because I certainly will not talk much about the issue. Had it not been that you are a decent poster who addressed me directly, then I am comfortable not talking at all about the government's actions over Boko Haram. Where we find ourselves is where we find ourselves since grown adults want to be sentimental and biased kids who blind themselves to what is obvious and logical.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/acn-boko-harams-ban-violates-constitution/

Well, seen.

Since you have said you do not wish to discuss the issue much on this forum, I hear you.

Cheers.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2013
Uyi Iredia: The fear of CAN and people like eGuerilla is that the phrase 'the dissemination of terrorist information' is vague and could be used to clamp down media reports of terrorist activities. Not so. Let's look at a part of the subsection.

Thanks for making an attempt to bring some focus to the discussion at hand.

My original qualm with @OP was actually more to do with his implied suggestion that our government should be able to take a carte blanche approach to issues bordering on civil liberties just because we are "at war".

To begin with, I had merely sought to present the other side of the argument, while stating my own position on the concerns raised grin

While I am fully in support of the SoE and most of what it entails, I refuse to trade my right to ask questions.

@All, matters like this are generally handled differently in more advanced climes...

The UK Parliament just passed a new Anti-Terrorism Act after an extraordinary conflict between the Blair Government in the Commons, and the Conservative Peers in the Lords. The Lords repeatedly sent the Bill back to the Commons because the Bill impacted the rights of the individual. The Blair government, in reply, said that they were protecting the UK from terrorist threats that have no respect for liberal democratic niceties. The Lords insisted as well on a Sunset Clause for the Bill, calling for a replacement in short order.

Hanging over this political drama was a legal reality. This Bill replaces the previous Anti-Terrorism Act passed after 9-11 – an Act rejected by the Courts because it violated the rights of the accused.

Source: http://www.thelawjournal.co.uk
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by hercules07: 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
What a lot of these GEJ fans do not realise is that the muzzling is now being done via the BH menace, a time will come when these same laws will be used to the detriment of the innocent and the downtrodden, funnily enough, it might not even be used by GEJ, we can not depend on the goodness of human heart when making laws, we can not say GEJ is a good man, so, he has good intentions, what happens when a bad man gets there is left to our imagination.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Thanks for making an attempt to bring some focus to the discussion at hand.

My original qualm with @OP was actually more to do with his implied suggestion that our government should be able to take a carte blanche approach to issues bordering on civil liberties just because we are "at war".

To begin with, I had merely sought to present the other side of the argument, while stating my own position on the concerns raised grin

While I am fully in support of the SoE and most of what it entails, I refuse to trade my right to ask questions.

@All, matters like this are generally handled differently in more advanced climes...

Source: http://www.thelawjournal.co.uk

^^^ My friend, I have been personally detained for 2 hours by Homeland Security at an Atlanta airport and rigorously interoggated just because I was reading a book about Saudi Arabia ("Inside the Kingdom " by Robert Lacey) on the flight, an academic book written by a Brit, which was a gift to me from a Swedish Colleague in Kenya.

The incident was irritating, but I more than understood their paranoia, especially in light of Abdulmuttallab and all that. Terrorism is VERY random and fighting it also takes a bit of randomness!

1 Like

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 1:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight: ^^^ Uyi made an important distinction between describing an event and actively inciting, etc, nevertheless you should see and respond to my explanation above on the conflict between civic responsibility and journalistic codes on such matters.

I should also ask you if you were a Journalist who, by reason of being invited for an interview with shekau, knew his location, what would you do with that information? Nothing?

1) The act prohibits you from distributing "inciting" information. Therefore, if Shekau's speech is inciting and you post it on nairaland (as has often been done here) you have committed an offence. This is different from a reporter "saying" that Shekau posted a video.

2) If you were "invited" to an interview with Shekau, you would noot know his location (one of the reasons why I haven't seen an interview with Shekau). The terrorists will not trust you either. What usually happens here is that they would either e-mail you or drop off messages for you. However, let's use the BBC example. Someone drops off a message asking if you want to interview Shekau. You reply via an e-mail. One day people appear out of no where and pick you off the streets and blindfold you. They take you to somewhere where Shekau is waiting and you interview him. Can you be arrested for associating with him? Can you publish your interview?

3) If you want to know how Nigerian security agents respond to these kinds of things, try and find out what's going on at Giwa Barracks.

Remember, it's the duty of the various organs of the political system to protect the interests of ordinary members of society who may or may not have a voice. These organs include the legislature, the judiciary, the media (as the fourth estate of the realm), the opposition, complaints commission, etc. In raising this question, CAN is performing their job as the opposition. I would have been disappointed if they didn't raise the question. It is also the duty of the government to reply and assure the populace that innocent people will not be victimised as a result of this order. It is also their duty to assure that freedom of speech will be protected.

Ii support the government in the war against terror, but I'm opposed to a situation where innocent people will suffer needlessly because of this. That innocent person could be you or me or someone we know.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by nuclearboy(m): 1:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
@DS:

Let's look at GEJ's own mediation panel - do you realise that it could be argued they are law breakers if they do have any contact with boko haram?

Which returns us to the real fear - that the above means if say, Sambo is discovered fraternising with BH, GEJ can say "he works for me and thus I decide he is NOT wrong" but if Amaechi (example) is, then same GEJ can say "I don't like his face so I pronounce him terrorist"!

Being a lawyer, you surely understand the concept of "definition"! The absence of such in this issue is bot to be lauded as it grants sweeping powers, accuser, witness, judge and executioner - ALL
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:31pm On Jun 11, 2013
nuclearboy: @DS:

Let's look at GEJ's own mediation panel - do you realise that it could be argued they are law breakers if they do have any contact with boko haram?

Which returns us to the real fear - that the above means if say, Sambo is discovered fraternising with BH, GEJ can say "he works for me and thus I decide he is NOT wrong" but if Amaechi (example) is, then same GEJ can say "I don't like his face so I pronounce him terrorist"!

Being a lawyer, you surely understand the concept of "definition"! The absence of such in this issue is bot to be lauded as it grants sweeping powers, accuser, witness, judge and executioner - ALL

naptu2:

1) The act prohibits you from distributing "inciting" information. Therefore, if Shekau's speech is inciting and you post it on nairaland (as has often been done here) you have committed an offence. This is different from a reporter "saying" that Shekau posted a video.

2) If you were "invited" to an interview with Shekau, you would noot know his location (one of the reasons why I haven't seen an interview with Shekau). The terrorists will not trust you either. What usually happens here is that they would either e-mail you or drop off messages for you. However, let's use the BBC example. Someone drops off a message asking if you want to interview Shekau. You reply via an e-mail. One day people appear out of no where and pick you off the streets and blindfold you. They take you to somewhere where Shekau is waiting and you interview him. Can you be arrested for associating with him? Can you publish your interview?

3) If you want to know how Nigerian security agents respond to these kinds of things, try and find out what's going on at Giwa Barracks.

Remember, it's the duty of the various organs of the political system to protect the interests of ordinary members of society who may or may not have a voice. These organs include the legislature, the judiciary, the media (as the fourth estate of the realm), the opposition, complaints commission, etc. In raising this question, CAN is performing their job as the opposition. I would have been disappointed if they didn't raise the question. It is also the duty of the government to reply and assure the populace that innocent people will not be victimised as a result of this order. It is also their duty to assure that freedom of speech will be protected.

Ii support the government in the war against terror, but I'm opposed to a situation where innocent people will suffer needlessly because of this. That innocent person could be you or me or someone we know.

Please remember that these people still have to stand before a court and be tried and found to actually have aided terrorism.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
naptu2:

Quite inevitable in situations such as this.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

^^^ My friend, I have been personally detained for 2 hours by Homeland Security at an Atlanta airport and rigorously interoggated just because I was reading a book about Saudi Arabia ("Inside the Kingdom " ) on the flight, an academic book written by a Brit, which was a gift to me from a Swedish Colleague in Kenya.

The incident was irritating, but I more than understood their paranoia, especially in light of Abdulmuttallab and all that. Terrorism is VERY random and fighting it also takes a bit of randomness!

I don't want to start comparing notes on personal experiences here, as it would do little to advance this healthy discussion.

If you want to settle for randomness, that's fine. Just don't go begrudging others who prefer a more seasoned and well thought-out approach, within the bounds of our federal constitution.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 1:37pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

Please remember that the accused still have to stand before a court and be tried and found to actually have aided terrorism.

Deep Sight:

Quite inevitable in situations such as this.

That's why I mentioned Giwa Barracks. Please try and find out what was happening there.

1) There is no guarantee that the person will appear before a judge.

2) Even if the person does appear before a judge, what would have happened to him before he gets to court?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:38pm On Jun 11, 2013
^^^ The point is that there is some necessary unpleasantness in every situation of emergency powers. Go look at the Homeland Security Act in the USA, there are many unpleasant but necessary things there.

Desperate situations demand desperate solutions, this is well known.

1 Like

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 1:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
For me this is not even about GEJ or the current government. Like others have said, who knows what kind of government we'll have after GEJ's government? Who knows what they'll use these powers for?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

^^^ The point is that there is some necessary unpleasantness in every situation of emergency powers. Go look at the Homeland Security Act in the USA, there are many unpleasant but necessary things there.

Desperate situations demand desperate solutions, this is well known.

Including killing and maiming innocent people (probably someone you know)?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 1:56pm On Jun 11, 2013
^^^ You know very well that that is not what I speak or advocate here, so please do not appeal to absurdity.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by nuclearboy(m): 1:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
naptu2:
That's why I mentioned Giwa Barracks. Please try and find out what was happening there.

1) There is no guarantee that the person will appear before a judge.

2) Even if the person does appear before a judge, what would have happened to him before he gets to court?

Aside what could or may not have happened, what of the propaganda effect? He has not condemned BH is a familiar refrain already - what then happens when it becomes "he was even arrested for terrorism"? PDP has spent millions on such campaigns and no reasoning human would trust "do or die" politicians with such powers!

Is it governors who agreed to vote then changed their minds when elections didn't go their way that should have sweeping powers? Or in a country where PCA is kicked out on spurious reasons because he doesn't tow the line? What judge will face these people after seeing "that"?
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 2:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
naptu2: For me this is not even about GEJ or the current government. Like others have said, who knows what kind of government we'll have after GEJ's government? Who knows what they'll use these powers for?

Have you looked at the Homeland Security Act?

It appears you do not realize the seriousness of the situation.

You say to me that I would only recognize your point if a loved one of mine or myself, happened to be at the receiving end of these powers.

I say to you that you would only recognize my point if a loved one or yourself happened to be at the receiving end of the acts of these terrorists.

Then you would recognize just how important it is to take desperate steps to end this madness.

That's the essence of emergency rule. A situation where there is no more time for being academic and arguing fine points.

Doctrine of Necessity, Kinda.

# Daz All.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by hercules07: 2:07pm On Jun 11, 2013
Deep Sight:

Have you looked at the Homeland Security Act?

It appears you do not realize the seriousness of the situation.

You say to me that I would only recognize your point if a loved one of mine or myself, happened to be at the receiving end of these powers.

I say to you that you would only recognize my point if a loved one or yourself happened to be at the receiving end of the acts of these terrorists.

Then you would recognize just how important it is to take desperate steps to end this madness.

That's the essence of emergency rule. A situation where there is no more time for being academic and arguing fine points.

Doctrine of Necessity, Kinda.

# Daz All.

What you should argue for is the government to seek the co-operation of those who are sincere, our newspapers have a role to play by not glorifying the acts of BH, but, GEJ can not do it by threats, it does not work, civilized behaviour requires that the government rises above BH, there are better ways to handle these things, how anybody can be in favour of giving blanket powers to those in position of authority who have shown over and over again that they can not be trusted with basic powers is beyond me.
Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by naptu2: 2:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
hercules07:

What you should argue for is the government to seek the co-operation of those who are sincere, our newspapers have a role to play by not glorifying the acts of BH, but, GEJ can not do it by threats, it does not work, civilized behaviour requires that the government rises above BH, there are better ways to handle these things, how anybody can be in favour of giving blanket powers to those in position of authority who have shown over and over again that they can not be trusted with basic powers is beyond me.

+100

1 Like

Re: Gbawe, Whats Your Take On ACN's Stand On Boko Haram? by DeepSight(m): 2:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
hercules07:

Warfare, Guerrilla Warfare, Militancy, and such other situations, warrant emergency powers, otherwise the good people and the government and public will just argue and argue forever about ethics and the terrorists will just continue killing and killing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See What Jonathan Has Deliberately Done For Rivers State / The Difference Between PDP And APC- Fashola / Pdp Winning In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.