Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Correcting Your Dad - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Correcting Your Dad (1760 Views)

Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / Which Is A More Effective Way Of Correcting Your Kids: Beating Or Talking? / Father's Day: What Do You Love Most About Your Dad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correcting Your Dad by iou111: 12:56am On May 06, 2008
[color=#000099][/color]

wat subtle and extremely polite strategy would u employ in correcting your dad's embarrassing habit (e.g table manners, phone etiquette)
Re: Correcting Your Dad by tRoOE(f): 1:28am On May 06, 2008
Naija parents hate to be corrected grin grin
But as for me, i go to their bedroom gist then use style to state my mind, don't want to be up front so I don't sound rude towards them.

And sometimes I call my mom at night i, tell her what's bothering me that I don't like when she does it, and as a mother she listens to what i got to say and make some changes to it.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by iou111: 1:50am On May 06, 2008
tRoOE:

[size=12pt][font=Garamond][color=#990000]Naija parents hate to be corrected grin grin
But as for me, i go to their bedroom gist then use style to state my mind, don't want to be up front so I don't sound rude towards them.

thats gon be really difficult if u have a short tempered, opinionated parent. its such a dilemma for me cos my dad has this habit and i just go arrggggh!
Re: Correcting Your Dad by Scopium: 7:59am On May 06, 2008
[size=13pt]It depends on the magnitude of their misbehaviour. If it's something trivial l tell him right then politely but if it's something big l tell him later in private.[/size]
Re: Correcting Your Dad by mamaput(f): 10:52am On May 06, 2008
do not even try that.
because he will feel really bad anout it.
like you are too good for him now,
something he has done all his like?
you do not teach an old dog new trickes.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by Seun(m): 11:05am On May 06, 2008
Judgemental people. Always "correcting", never accepting. Even your daddy isn't good enough for you.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by iou111: 1:02pm On May 06, 2008
Seun:

Judgemental people. Always "correcting", never accepting. Even your daddy isn't good enough for you.

no one said nething bout dad not been good enough!
Re: Correcting Your Dad by ifyalways(f): 1:44pm On May 06, 2008
iou111:

[color=#000099][/color]

what subtle and extremely polite strategy would u employ in correcting your dad's embarrassing habit (e.g table manners, phone etiquette)

if its just embarrassing habits like you said,to me it isnt embarassing,anyway i wud accept them like that.who cares If its something important like alcoholism or a bad habit dangerous to their health,which they are addcited to,then i wud talk with them in love. .jokinly sha.it seriously needs care and caution to do so .
Re: Correcting Your Dad by lucabrasi(m): 2:25pm On May 06, 2008
im tryna picture correcting my dad,and i cant even see a picture materialising lol
just roll with it,your dad is your dad and he is who he is
Re: Correcting Your Dad by tRoOE(f): 7:59pm On May 06, 2008
thats gon be really difficult if u have a short tempered, opinionated parent. its such a dilemma for me because my dad has this habit and i just go arrggggh!
Best thing is too just keep your mouth short, and get use to it

@lucabrasi
You will say it in a very indirect way wink or jokily
Re: Correcting Your Dad by lucabrasi(m): 9:08pm On May 06, 2008
lol jokingly ke,i cant o when my seniors by like 10 yrs sef cant, lol only the look is enough to silence you forever , onli GOD know where all these naija fathers train for these looks
Re: Correcting Your Dad by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 06, 2008
It depends on the kind of communication you have with your dad. My dad shouts a lot on the phone and I'm like "geez daddy 'lower' your voice," sometimes he apologises, sometimes he ignores me but he never gets annoyed  wink
Re: Correcting Your Dad by tRoOE(f): 12:40am On May 07, 2008
na wa ooooo i bet they put fear in you, poor thing tongue
My dad does not have any look, the guy is just too cool to be a father, all he does his smile like a kid kiss kiss sweet father. momsi is the one with those look grin, the look can kill tongue
I believe no one is too old to be corrected when doing that it isn't right

Re: Correcting Your Dad by lucabrasi(m): 3:58am On May 07, 2008
lol,the look is somethn else even my elder sisters that are married still fear the look and now their husbands too flinch small at the look but they r ok with him tho, only GOD knows how ill have turned out if i had a cool dad like yours lol
true u r right correcting a child has no age limit in africa/nigeria
Re: Correcting Your Dad by tRoOE(f): 7:10am On May 07, 2008
Eya pele am sure you had some serious betaing when you where young tongue,If you had a father like me, you guys would have be best of friends. lol that is what they call him cool dad cheesy cheesy. I bet you can't look straight into your dad eyes when his speaking to you
Naija discipline is just different from any other country, i wonder where they got all that strictness from
Re: Correcting Your Dad by acidrop(f): 7:21am On May 07, 2008
if i had an oppotunity to correct my dad eh? ooooooooooo lord, its my time to shineeeeee, i will take advantage of it ooooooo. , . . , because that man is to dammn perfect. shiiiiit
Re: Correcting Your Dad by lucabrasi(m): 1:59pm On May 07, 2008
tRoOE:

Eya pele am sure you had some serious betaing when you where young tongue,If you had a father like me, you guys would have be best of friends. lol that is what they call him cool dad cheesy cheesy. I bet you can't look straight into your dad eyes when his speaking to you
Naija discipline is just different from any other country, i wonder where they got all that strictness from

yes i did o i wont even front lol didnt complain because i got my own back financially though,yes u r right, one of my dad's offices is realli massive so when u open the door u r looking at him from like far off and once he sees the white paper u r holding,means u v come for money and he ll focus the eyes on you,omo yor legs ll turn to jelly before you get to the desk lol, we were sitting down discussing politics and making fun of each other last year and i couldnt believe it lol
Re: Correcting Your Dad by cashoggy(f): 3:13pm On May 09, 2008
@Poster (or posted grin) my mind. My folks are quite old and Ive never had a problem correcting them of any bad social habit . Ive always been pondering over this topic, more especially for the sake of a pastor in one church I visit occasionally. The man holds a top managerial position in his place of work but he speaks some bad English sometimes on the pulpit. The wife's English is impeccable and his two undergraduate kids are great. I always wonder why neither the wife nor the kids has been able to correct him. Sometimes I imagine what I would do if he's my dad. Or, does Seun think it's wrong to tell one's dad to pronounce some words well? I think its better a parent feels embarrassed before the child than before a whole church congregation. The man in question is well read o, just wonder why he has decided to stick to his own funny pronunciations when he hears every other person's way of pronuncuation (eg Twisday for Tuesday, childrens for children, just to mention a few).
Re: Correcting Your Dad by bunmii(f): 7:54am On May 10, 2008
you better leave him alone, if what he has being doing that needs correction was so bad i bet your mum or someone else would have said something.
child want to correct dad especially about table manners hehehe don't try it.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by bolorunfem(f): 1:55pm On May 12, 2008
I think it's the relationship that exists between them as well as the choice of words used  that will determine.  A child to his l dad can say  'Daddy-Daddy,  don't you know its old-fashioned to talk while eating? Or, 'daaady, your voice was so loud on the phone, you know passers-by could easily hear everything you said'. Or, Hmn, My Mummy, you know you used to tell us not to hiss, !
With adequate curtesy, bearing in mind that this old man or woman nurtured you from the womb, chances are the old folk(s) will take cue.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by tRoOE(f): 1:31am On May 13, 2008
@lucabrasi
Na wa for "most" Naija parents, how can they put so much fear on their kids
so if your legs are shaking like jelly fish, does your palm sweat too grin grin
If my dad was like that hmmmmm he will lose me grin grin, but am glad he isn't sha kiss kiss
Re: Correcting Your Dad by Outstrip(f): 7:00pm On May 17, 2008
This is funny cause I just got a taste of this. My husbands oldest brother suggested something that was totally ridiculous and I told him no that it was not going to happen that way as I had already planned how it would happen. He called my husband and told him that I was disrespectful. My husband asked me what happened and I told him and I also let my husband know that when it came to my children or my life nobody makes the plans, I do. LOL. Bottom line, typical nigerian elders syndrome. They do not like to be put in their place. My husband fortunately knows his brothers style and he did not want my wahala either so it ended there.
Re: Correcting Your Dad by janami(f): 7:59pm On May 18, 2008
this is weird, but my dad's bad habits even makes me think of him more fondly when he is not around. Even when he is doing it in public, i dnt get embarrrased. lol. rather it just amuses me. No be my papa? kiss
Re: Correcting Your Dad by lucabrasi(m): 1:15am On May 19, 2008
tRoOE:

@lucabrasi
Na wa for "most" Naija parents, how can they put so much fear on their kids
so if your legs are shaking like jelly fish, does your palm sweat too grin grin
If my dad was like that hmmmmm he will lose me grin grin, but am glad he isn't sha kiss kiss

lol u can fron because you r a girl now,most dads even in naija are realli soft and gentle with female kids,its the men that gets the rough treatment grin
yes o legs shaking like jellyfish,palms sweaty at least till like16/17 plus, he is realli old fashioned like that,but suprisinly nice with all our friends
Re: Correcting Your Dad by Teejay07(m): 7:20am On May 25, 2008
@ poster,

I suggest you leave the man alone to live his life as he deems fit. If what he does is not 'weird' as in getting drunk and stuff like that just leave him alone.

And, come to think of it, CORRECT MY DAD? Even, as he lies in his grave these past two years I DARE NOT (ASSUMING THAT WAS POSSIBLE) grin

Can u imagine AN 'EGBA SON' CORRECTING HIS 'EGBA FATHER' cheesy

(1) (Reply)

She Aborted For Him Three Times / Why Is That Women Barely Let Go When Angry / See Photo Of A Beautiful Girl Pounding Yam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.