Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? (1355 Views)

Should Nigeria Adopt A Two Party System? / Should Nigeria Adopt A Staggered Election Process??? / Should Nigeria Adopt The Jury System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Inik(m): 3:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nigeria needs a new foreign policy. Our Pan african policy is out of touch with reality. Recently Nigerians have been attacked in South Africa, Nigerians are viewed with hostility and suspicion in Ghana, Kenya and other African countries. I think our "afrocentric" foreign policy is not working because despite the help and assistance we render to these countries they tend to lash out at Nigeria and nigerians at the slightest whim.
We need to adopt a "Nigeriacentric" foreign policy that will see to the safeguarding of the lives of our citizens and protection of our investments in foreign countries while maintaining an harmonious relationship with our African brothers.

Do you advocate for a new foreign policy or should we continue with our pan african ideology?
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
I agree with u on this. Nigeria needs to take into cognizance her economic interests, when dealing with other countries. The superpowers and even the emerging powers, such as Brazil, China, India etc, don't engage in 'father Christmas' foreign policy; they always look out for their respective national interests.

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Ikengawo: 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
I agree that the father Christmas foreign policy isn't of any practical use upon the resources we used in Mali against terrorist, what malian, or even ecowas kobo came our way during the Boko Haram crisis. Just more attacks on Nigerians.

Nigeria should declare the police commissioners that oversee violence against nigerians in their countries or the unlawful detention of Nigerians wanted and put bounties on their heads, especially in west africa

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Gbawe: 4:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
@OP
We most continue to be tolerant, hospitable and, most importantly, respectful of the human right needs of foreigners and visitors to Nigeria but we must indeed move our foreign policy away from fawning cordiality towards an aggressive crack-down against the mistreatment of Nigerians abroad. Simple as that. I think the impression now is that you can do absolutely what you want to a Nigerian while he is out of his country and get away with it. That opinion has to change.

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Inik(m): 4:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
Gbawe: @OP
We most continue to be tolerant, hospitable and, most importantly, respectful of the human right needs of foreigners and visitors to Nigeria but we must indeed move our foreign policy away from fawning cordiality towards an aggressive crack-down against the mistreatment of Nigerians abroad. Simple as that. I think the impression now is that you can do absolutely what you want to a Nigerian while he is out of his country and get away with it. That opinion has to change.

I agree with you on this, this has to change.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by citizenY(m): 12:03am On Jun 12, 2013
Our present leaders have their own foreign policy.....go to Dubai, visit their bankers abroad, ,etcetera

Internal policy....SHARE THE MONEY
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 12, 2013
The sort of retaliatory foreign policy OP seems to tacitly support is way beyond Nigeria's capacity. Who can we threaten and with what exactly? We are paper tiger who can do nada! That's the truth of the matter. I am of the opinion there's no such thing as foreign policy when your home is in shambles. We should put our house in order and the much desired foreign policy ll drive itself.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jun 12, 2013
I've been following Nigeria closely for 3 years now and I honestly don't think has anything that should called - foreign policy - to be honest. What you're alluding to should come under the context of bilateral relations within the AU. Also, there's nothing Afrocentric about Nigeria's so-called "foreign policy." So "Afrocentric" yet you voted against the AU at the UN in the ouster of Gaddafi.

Nigeria's case is more of a puppet and puppet-masters. You align yourself with anything your puppet-masters want. grin

The next time I hear that Nigeria has a foreign policy - I'll break my gaddamn laptop. tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Dibiachukwu: 12:53am On Jun 12, 2013
Prof Corruption: The sort of retaliatory foreign policy OP seems to tacitly support is way beyond Nigeria's capacity. Who can we threaten and with what exactly? We are paper tiger who can do nada! That's the truth of the matter. I am of the opinion there's no such thing as foreign policy when your home is in shambles. We should put our house in order and the much desired foreign policy ll drive itself.

Na. We Can do a lot more than We are doing. We can nationalise companies and enforce trade embargoes.We need real guy men in power. Someone that understands international politics as a no nonsense power play arena. Then we need to build a great military complex; where we can pump our ample resources into and make heaps of death machines. Incase any fo.ol wants to try us.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Afam4evaIsASlut: 1:05am On Jun 12, 2013
Wait, Nigeria has a Foreign Policy?! undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 12, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Na. We Can do a lot more than We are doing. We can nationalise companies and enforce trade embargoes.We need real guy men in power. Someone that understands international politics as a no nonsense power play arena. Then we need to build a great military complex; where we can pump our ample resources into and make heaps of death machines. Incase any fo.ol wants to try us.

I had a good laugh.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:12am On Jun 12, 2013
The only thing Nigeria needs to do is teach its citizens to behave when in other countries, whenever Nigerians are harassed abroad they're always involved in some unlawful activity.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:26am On Jun 12, 2013
It's very unfortunate that we have many illiterate unpatriotic nigerians on nairaland. some actually think we dont have a foreign policy. No country in africa can afford to be an enemy to Nigeria.(This is a verified fact)
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 12, 2013
Cajetan speaks: It's very unfortunate that we have many illiterate unpatriotic nigerians on nairaland. some actually think we dont have a foreign policy. No country in africa can afford to be an enemy to Nigeria.(This is a verified fact)

Lol. Don't go far! Cameroon next door.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:47am On Jun 12, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Lol. Don't go far! Cameroon next door.
I don't join issues with teenagers like you.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Nobody: 1:54am On Jun 12, 2013
Cajetan speaks: It's very unfortunate that we have many illiterate unpatriotic nigerians on nairaland. some actually think we dont have a foreign policy. No country in africa can afford to be an enemy to Nigeria.(This is a verified fact)

Mr. "literate" - can you tell us what Nigeria's foreign policy is about?

I can tell you everything about the foreign policies of the following countries: China, USA, Germany, Russia, Iran, Qatar, and Israel. And I'm not even from none of those countries.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by citizenY(m): 9:09am On Jun 12, 2013
Seriuously, internal policy should reflect a Marion's foreign policy. Are the we boing led well? They say, take the log out of your eyes before removing the speck in your neifhbour's eye.

You cannott have the moral courage to preach what you do not and cannot practice.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Inik(m): 9:46am On Jun 12, 2013
The ministry remains committed to protecting the interests of Nigerians by constructively engaging the diplomatic and consular missions in Nigeria, especially on visa matters. As we demonstrated in our swift and effective response to the deportation of Nigerians from South Africa over the issue of yellow fever cards and our various demarches to the diplomatic community in Nigeria over the issuance of visas to Nigerians, we have made it clear that Nigeria would not tolerate the maltreatment of its citizens at home and abroad. The ministry also collaborated with other MDAs to evacuate Nigerians trapped in conflict zones in various parts of the world (Libya, Syria). In Gabon where some Nigerians were to be ejected from the two Islands they had occupied for years by the host government, the ministry proactively engaged and successfully collaborated with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), to evacuate them back home. We have also successfully resolved the dispute over trading activities by Nigerians living in Ghana.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-s-foreign-policy-new-realities-in-a-changing-world/144998/
The bolded is not working
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Inik(m): 9:51am On Jun 12, 2013
zetdee: The only thing Nigeria needs to do is teach its citizens to behave when in other countries, whenever Nigerians are harassed abroad they're always involved in some unlawful activity.
Not at all times, sometimes innocent Nigerians are deliberately picked on and targeted by citizens of the host nation because they are viewed as being more successful than them. This happens a lot in South Africa, you can't deny this.
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Inik(m): 9:55am On Jun 12, 2013
ShyM-X:

Mr. "literate" - can you tell us what Nigeria's foreign policy is about?

I can tell you everything about the foreign policies of the following countries: China, USA, Germany, Russia, Iran, Qatar, and Israel. And I'm not even from none of those countries.
A brief outline of Nigeria's foreign policy
Since the creation of OAU and its successor AU, Nigeria's place in Africa has been very clear and assured. While Africa has been the centre-piece of Nigeria’s foreign policy from the onset, successive governments have been able to adapt its principles, objectives and priorities to the prevailing circumstances. Owing to the Afro-centric posture of our foreign policy, it was to be expected that the founding fathers of Nigeria would anchor the country’s foreign policy thrust on the decolonisation of the African continent and the promotion of African unity. An important component of this stance was Nigeria’s commitment to the eradication of apartheid in Southern Africa and the deployment of substantial resources in the various theatres of the liberation struggle in Southern Africa, particularly in Zimbabwe, Namibia, Angola and South Africa. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-s-foreign-policy-new-realities-in-a-changing-world/144998/
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Dibiachukwu: 7:28am On Jun 13, 2013
Prof Corruption:

I had a good laugh.
That is why some people say that living with a coward is by itself a security risk angry
Re: Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? by Kharlinee: 8:51am On Sep 12, 2016
please, i need help. can anyone tell me how Nigeria can learn from China's foreign policy. it's an assignment and it's due for tomorrow

(1) (Reply)

Judiciary No Longer Last Hope Of The Common Man –falana / PDP Governors Snub Tuesday "Peace Parley " With President Jonathan / Dangote Is The Next President Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.