Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,620 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? (1175 Views)

Deported Nigerians Paid £3000 By UK Boarder Agency But Money Was Seized / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / 500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by vikiviko(m): 12:22pm On May 06, 2008
With news from UK, Cairo, Spain, Italy, SA about Nigerians being deported, humiliated and harrassed by foreign immigration AND Nationals, i wonder if the same treatment is meted to foreigners in Nigeria.

Except perhaps for kidnapping of foreign oil workers i don't see any harsh treatment either from the NIGERIAN GOVT or Nigerians on foreigners.

This thread is meant to see views about foreign national you know in Nigeria who have been humiliated, harrased or probably deported.

Or what do you think?
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Vicjustice: 1:36pm On May 06, 2008
Vik
   It's not really so, Deportees are usually not forced, but in the situation whereby a deportee resists the law enforcers, that is where force comes in. Afterall, the Police is a force, and not just a service
   Now, imagine a Nigerian deportee in Greece who resisted the law-enforcers up to the extent of stripping himself naked (after messing up his pants/trousers with urine and feces) at the airport, what do you expect the law enforcers to do?
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by HRhotness(f): 1:40pm On May 06, 2008
Vicjustice:

Vik
It's not really so, Deportee are usually not forced, but in the situation whereby a deportee resists the law enforcers, that is where force comes in. Afterall, the Police is a force, and not a service
Now, imagine a Nigerian deportee in Greece who resisted the law-enforcers up to the extent of stripping himself naked (after messing up his pants/trousers with urine and feces) at the airport, what do you expect the law enforcers to do?

shocked
did that really happen?
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Vicjustice: 1:54pm On May 06, 2008
I swear, i know this guy, he was quickly rushed back to the Immigration police station where he was detained to be deported another day, with the recommendation that he's been giving a life-time banned from the EU.
   That's when they introduced the system of tying up a deportee hands with a special rubber cord which would be cut off by the aircraft crew only when the plane has reached it's cruising altitude and they are satisfied that the deportee is not posing a threat.
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by omega25red(m): 5:13pm On May 06, 2008
poor Us Nigerians we keep getting bad treatment from the world and you know it is our own fault. As rich as that country is we shouldn't even be leaving the country if not for corruption. Look at Saudi Arabia they have oil and you can tell because their country is well developed and maintained. Our country can't even show the money for the last oil sale or they can't even fix a piece of highway without eating the money they are given to fix the damn road. It is so sad. We would be well respected if we were utilizing the brains and resources that are abundant in that country. I cry for Nigeria and Nigerians alike cry
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Vicjustice: 4:54pm On May 08, 2008
omega25red:

poor Us Nigerians we keep getting bad treatment from the world and you know it is our own fault. As rich as that country is we shouldn't even be leaving the country if not for corruption. Look at Saudi Arabia they have oil and you can tell because their country is well developed and maintained. Our country can't even show the money for the last oil sale or they can't even fix a piece of highway without eating the money they are given to fix the damn road. It is so sad. We would be well respected if we were utilizing the brains and resources that are abundant in that country. I cry for Nigeria and Nigerians alike cry
Thank you, dear. Please, tell them. . .
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by ty4real(m): 5:27pm On May 08, 2008
All I can say is that Nigeria is a country that is been governed by selfish ,idiotic persoanlity who come to western world and see the civilisation and refuse to bring the civilisation down to Africa especially Nigera.Who wan harrass foreigner for 9ja leave story,once money reach Immigration guys hands all the rest na story. grin
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:53am On May 09, 2008
It's a crazy Irony and it just explains how wrong the world's system is! Poorer nations are much more accommodating towards refugees than the wealthier ones.

See how accommodating Nigerians are: We employ all the "Republic du Nigerien" citizens. The authorities don't ask them 2 get a work permit in order to
work as a mai guard, a shoe shiner or a suya seller. They just ply their trade- free of restrictions. No deportations, no harrassment , nothing!

The westerners have a lot to learn 4rm us.
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by funkybaby(f): 2:01am On May 09, 2008
Lol @ Papabrowne

Lol. Western countries sure have a lot to learn. grin grin
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Cadet(f): 2:08am On May 09, 2008
PapaBrowne:

It's a crazy Irony and it just explains how wrong the world's system is! Poorer nations are much more accommodating towards refugees than the wealthier ones.

See how accommodating Nigerians are: We employ all the "Republic du Nigerien" citizens. The authorities don't ask them 2 get a work permit in order to
work as a mai guard, a shoe shiner or a suya seller. They just ply their trade- free of restrictions. No deportations, no harrassment , nothing!

The westerners have a lot to learn from us.

The westerners are the only country "harassing" their refuges? undecided

Sure, the western world has a lot to learn, but Nigerian is def. not the place to learn it. Dnt get me wrong, I am a Nigerian and I know the reputation of that country. Nigeria has barely started learning, talkless of teaching anybody else. Anywaz, look up on how the Europeans are treating their refugees and Immigrants. undecided
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by EloSela(f): 4:38pm On May 09, 2008
I highly doubt that there are any 'illegal' Westerners in Nigeria.

That being said, Nigeria routinely deports Nigeriens (Niger) and other African nationals from their countries using methods which can be quite humiliating so I don't think they have room to talk when countries like the UK or the US deport Nigerian nationals back to their homelands with money to start their lives again. And lets not bring up the way Nigeria deported Ghanaians in the 70s.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6387053.stm

Nigeria cracks down on migrants
Nigeria is cracking down on "illegal aliens" from neighbouring countries whom the authorities call a "nuisance".

Niger and Chad seem to have been singled out in the clampdown with thousands of their nationals packed into lorries and taken to the border.

People from Ghana, Togo, Cameroon and other West African countries have also been removed from at least eight major cities across the country.

Politicians are accused of importing "ghost voters" ahead of April polls.

"The truth is that it is because of the elections," an immigration official who did not want to be named told the BBC News website.

"You know people from Niger speak Hausa which is the language of northern Nigeria and they are Muslims. Because of this cultural affinity, it's easy for them to pretend to be Nigerians and vote in the elections," the source said.

But the official reason given for the deportations is that the illegal aliens constitute a "public nuisance and security risk".

Nigeria's Interior Minister Olu Adeniji told the BBC that "only vagabonds and those engaged in armed robbery and other illegal acts" were being targeted in the immigration sweep, but did not give any figures.

Nigerien denial

The Niger embassy in Abuja says it has received complaints about the deportations from its citizens in Abuja and other Nigerian cities.

"We don't know why the government of Nigeria is deporting citizens of Niger. We have not been given any explanations whatsoever," Dan Barma Aboubakar told the BBC News website.

Most of the "illegal aliens" are being taken to Jibia, a border community in Nigeria's north-western Katsina state.

No reason was given for the arrests. All they do is to simply ask your nationality and if you admit to being from Niger, they just order you to get on their van

Some Nigerians who were also mistaken for Nigeriens were arrested in the operation and taken to Nigeria's northern frontier and ordered to go back home to Niger.

Sanda Mamman, a Nigerien trader in the south-eastern Nigerian city of Enugu, told the BBC that 22 of his compatriots had been arrested in the clampdown.

"No reason was given for the arrests. All they do is to simply ask your nationality and if you admit to being from Niger, they just order you to get on their van," Mr Mamman said.

"If we have committed any crimes, we expect that we'd be told and charges pressed."

He said most of the people being deported had paid "all the relevant fees" and obtained "all the relevant stamps on our Ecowas [Economic Community of West African States] travel documents and residence permits".
Story from BBC NEWS:
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Vicjustice: 1:30am On May 10, 2008
EloSela:

"The truth is that it is because of the elections," an immigration official who did not want to be named told the BBC News website.

"You know people from Niger speak Hausa which is the language of northern Nigeria and they are Mus'lims. Because of this cultural affinity, it's easy for them to pretend to be Nigerians and vote in the elections ," the source said.

This simply shows how disorganised a country like Nigeria is: How can people "pretend to be Nigerians" because they speak the Hausa language and they are Mus'lims, what about national database identification?
Can such thing happen in any organised country where every citizen is documented?
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Cadet(f): 2:23pm On May 10, 2008
Vicjustice:

This simply shows how disorganised a country like Nigeria is: How can people "pretend to be Nigerians" because they speak the Hausa language and they are Mus'lims, what about national database identification?
Can such thing happen in any organised country where every citizen is documented?

That's what I'm saying. There's no I.D, No social security, nada! This people can easily commit a crime without getting caught. No phone company that records their phone calls, just incase it's an evidence for a crime that can help an innocent person or put a suspect in jail, no security, period! Nigeria does have a lot to learn, it's too disorganized. undecided
A country where the witnesses of a crime are too afraid to report what they saw to the police, knowing they would be suspected and not only tortured, but jailed. A country where the suspects are guilty until proven innocent. I fear for my motherland o undecided
Re: Are Foreigners Deported, Harrassed In Naija? by Vallo57(m): 7:16pm On May 10, 2008
EloSela:

I highly doubt that there are any 'illegal' Westerners in Nigeria.

That being said, Nigeria routinely deports Nigeriens (Niger) and other African nationals from their countries using methods which can be quite humiliating so I don't think they have room to talk when countries like the UK or the US deport Nigerian nationals back to their homelands with money to start their lives again. And lets not bring up the way Nigeria deported Ghanaians in the 70s.

What about the way Ghana deported Nigerians also in early 70s ? What was their reason? Their economy was dominated(buying and selling) by Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Visiting Obudu Cattle Ranch / - Dutch (SENGHEN) - South africa Visa Now Available. / Ticket Agent Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.