Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? (1004 Views)

Siena Central Lock Fails When Ignition Is On / Advice On Long Distance Journey / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? by double08(m): 11:20pm On Jun 12, 2013
Lets say you are travelling a long distance like from Lagos to Benin,is it advisable to 'central lock' the car doors?because in case there is an accident(God forbid)the doors might stay locked and cannot be opened thereby leaving the accident victim trapped inside.

That's why when am travelling I unlock the car doors once am on the interstate (express road) and when I am inside the city/town I pin the doors for security reasons. whats your take on this? OP will appreciate if this makes front page for people to air their views
Re: Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:26pm On Jun 12, 2013
double08: Lets say you are travelling a long distance like from Lagos to Benin,is it advisable to 'central lock' the car doors?because in case there is an accident(God forbid)the doors might stay locked and cannot be opened thereby leaving the accident victim trapped inside.

That's why when am travelling I unlock the car doors once am on the interstate (express road) and when I am inside the city/town I pin the doors for security reasons. whats your take on this? OP will appreciate if this makes front page for people to air their views

generally it doesnt matter becoz you will never know whether the doors would have open or not if you had locked or unlocked
thats the reason the fire brigade have those cutters

so i would say whatever makes you feel comfortable
Re: Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? by Nobody: 12:06am On Jun 13, 2013
For some cars the locks are released once there's an accident. Indeed the impact of a sudden bump into a pothole at top speed is enough to free the locks, and in some cars switch on alarm lights.
Re: Do You 'central Lock' Your Car Doors While Travelling A Long Distance? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 14, 2013
Costee: For some cars the locks are released once there's an accident. Indeed the impact of a sudden bump into a pothole at top speed is enough to free the locks, and in some cars switch on alarm lights.

You're right. My 2001 BMW 325i owner's manual states that the car locks are released in the event of an accident. Thank God I have never had cause to personally find out whether this is true or not.

(1) (Reply)

Which Motor Spare Parts Is More Sought For (any Brand) / Is This The Worst Attempt At Leaving A Parking Space Ever? / Nigeria Auto Industry Needs To Start Small

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.