Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,048 members, 7,814,598 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? (2780 Views)

DAVID OYEDEPO IS A RELIGIOUS BIGOT / I Married A Religious Girl And I Think I Regret It. What Should I Do? / What Is The Definition Of A Religious Fanatic In Your Own Words And Are You One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 13, 2013
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst: 6:20am On Jun 13, 2013
Olodo!

There is nothing religious about that statement...The 'hand of the king' only made that comment to show what true kings do: Rule with authority and not power; in other words, a king should have legitimacy bestowed upon him by the people's voluntary acceptance of his reign.

This is in contrast to what 'the Kalisi' has achieved. She is one of the contenders for the crown of the seven kingdoms but she gathers an army of men, women and children who are willing to do anything for her, even die for her, because she succeeded in getting legitimacy from them using peaceful means as against the brute force of King Geoffrey.

Your thoughts on movies and religion is making me see why PG is recommended for some persons. You do need Parental Guidance when seeing movies.

3 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 13, 2013
outc@st:
Olodo!

There is nothing religious about that statement...The 'hand of the king' only made that comment to show what true kings do: Rule with authority and not power; in other words, a king should have legitimacy bestowed upon him by the people's voluntary acceptance of his reign.

This is in contrast to what 'the Kalisi' has achieved. She is one of the contenders for the crown of the seven kingdoms but she gathers an army of men, women and children who are willing to do anything for her, even die for her, because she succeeded in getting legitimacy from them using peaceful means as against the brute force of King Geoffrey.

Your thoughts on movies and religion is making me see why PG is recommended for some persons. You do need Parental Guidance when seeing movies.

*Facepalm*

Do you understand the meaning of "subtext"?
The op is not about the film's plot!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 6:41am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:
*Facepalm*

Do you understand the meaning of "subtext"?
The op is not about the film's plot!

I feel what your op lacked and what was provided by outc@st is CONTEXT.

By the way, I don't see any religious subtext in the Game of Thrones. If you do, would you like to tell us what the subtext is and which religion it represents
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
I feel what your op lacked and what was provided by outc@st is CONTEXT.

By the way, I don't see any religious subtext in the Game of Thrones. If you do, would you like to tell us what the subtext is and which religion it represents

Another dumbazz that doesnt know the meaning of subtext....

Outcast did nothing than tell a part of the plot of Game of thrones.

Outcast even missed the point of the quote in the Game of thrones. The quote you see there was a reply to a particular statement.
=====================

There is no need for context.....focus on the quote....does this have a religious subtext?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 6:51am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Outcast even missed the point of the quote in the Game of thrones. The quote you see there was a reply to a particular statement.
=====================

There is no need for context.....focus on the quote....does this have a religious subtext?
Lol, did you read my post at all or did you just focus on the one sentence you wanted to throw insults at?

As I said I don't see any religious subtext there. If you do, please tell us what it is and which religion it represents
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst: 6:53am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

=====================

I am beginning to think that you make use of words because they appeal to you and not because you understand them...now humour us with what you think a subtext is and tell us why you think my OP misses the mark.

And for your info, the comment was made because Geoffery is fond of saying: "I am the king".

Olodo!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, did you read my post at all or did you just focus on the one sentence you wanted to throw insults at?

As I said I don't see any religious subtext in the Game of Thrones. If you do, would you like to tell us what the subtext is and which religion it represents

Then hold your peace.....you dont see a subtext
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 13, 2013
outc@st:

I am beginning to think that you make use of words because they appeal to you and not because you understand them...now humour us with what you think a subtext is and tell us why you think my OP misses the mark.

And for your info, the comment was made because Geoffery is fond of saying: "I am the king".

Olodo!

@ bold- that was the real context of the comment. This had nothing to do with Kalissi. Or do you think Geoofrey's grandfather would rule like Kalissi?
========================================================

focus on the quote....any subtext?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 6:57am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03: Then hold your peace.....you dont see a subtext
But you seem to see something, what do you see?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
But you seem to see something, what do you see?

How many times do deities in your religion claim that they are the messiah/king of kings/God of gods?

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst: 7:10am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

@ bold- that was the real context of the comment. This had nothing to do with Kalissi. Or do you think Geoofrey's grandfather would rule like Kalissi?
========================================================

focus on the quote....any subtext?

Olodo!

The reference to the Kalisi was meant to show what the 'author' of the book had in mind. To get a proper grasp of whatever any literary work is meant to portray, we look at very many different things and not just what one character said.

Comparing the rule of Geoffery and that of the Kalissi gives meaning to the comment of 'the hand' and helps the reader\viewer have proper grasp of the author's underlying meaning of the phrase...
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 7:19am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03: How many times do deities in your religion claim that they are the messiah/king of kings/God of gods?
This is precisely why context is important. I can as well ask how many times your father claimed to be your father, or how many times your boss claimed to be your boss.

You see, by stripping that phrase of the context of Joffrey's actual authority in the movie which outc@st so generously provided and you so recklessly rejected, we have simply reduced that statement to mean anything in any context.

Basically I can also say the phrase has a family subtext or political subtext or medical subtext e.t.c. The phrase has no religious subtext, all that happened with you was that you read it with your anti-religion bias. That's all.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 13, 2013
@Mr anony
thanks 4 murdering logicboy with the above statement. ^
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
This is precisely why context is important. I can as well ask how many times your father claimed to be your father, or how many times your boss claimed to be your boss.

You see, by stripping that phrase of the context of Joffrey's actual authority in the movie which outc@st so generously provided and you so recklessly rejected, we have simply reduced that statement to mean anything in any context.

Basically I can also say the phrase has a family subtext or political subtext or medical subtext e.t.c. The phrase has no religious subtext, all that happened with you was that you read it with your anti-religion bias. That's all.

You are very foolish.....

Let's assume that the context didnt exist and all you had was the picture. Would it make any difference to my allusion towards christian deities?

Seriously, troll harder
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 13, 2013
Segeggs: @Mr anony
thanks 4 murdering logicboy with the above statement. ^

Supporter's club
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 7:49am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:
You are very foolish.....
ad hominem is a sign that your rational tank is now running on empty

Let's assume that the context didnt exist and all you had was the picture. Would it make any difference to my allusion towards christian deities?
It also wouldn't make any difference to my allusion towards your father, your boss, your lecturer, your governor e.t.c.

Seriously, troll harder
Your desperate attempt to take the quote out of context says a lot
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
ad hominem is a sign that your rational tank is now running on empty

It also wouldn't make any difference to my allusion towards your father, your boss, your lecturer, your governor e.t.c.

Your desperate attempt to take the quote out of context says a lot

So you admit that the context is irrelevant?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 8:07am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03: So you admit that the context is irrelevant?
Lol no, absolutely not! That is precisely the opposite of what I'm arguing
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Supporter's club
up man u tongue
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol no, absolutely not! That is precisely the opposite of what I'm arguing

How...Anony....How?

How the hell are you arguing such?

Gaddem grin SMH
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 8:56am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

How...Anony....How?

How the hell are you arguing such?

Gaddem grin SMH
What are you talking about?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
What are you talking about?

The context is irrelevant and you indirectly supported that....

If you were left with only the pic (imagine no context)....wouldnt I still be able to relate it to th christian deities claiming to be king?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 9:07am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

If you were left with only the pic (imagine no context)....wouldnt I still be able to relate it to th christian deities claiming to be king?

You are talking about a movie/book and any subtext inherent in the phrase MUST be looked at with the eye of the 'author' and not yours or anyone elses.

That phrase has no other underlying meaning, safe for what I have provided. If you believe that the author has something religious in mind then bring your proof from the movie or book as I have done or forever accept the tag Olodo!

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

You are talking about a movie/book and any subtext inherent in the phrase MUST be looked at with the eye of the 'author' and not yours or anyone elses.

That phrase has no other underlying meaning, safe for what I have provided. If you believe that the author has something religious in mind then bring your proof from the movie or book as I have done or forever accept the tag Olodo!

FAIL FAIL FAIL!!! grin

The phrase stands out on its own!

"Any man who must say "I am king" is no true king"

Very clear statement. A statement that can be applied to who ever shouts "i am king/boss" to get things done
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 9:21am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

That's precisely why I said THE CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT! Without context, that quote can be applied to anything thereby making it meaningless.

The fact that you are really determined to take that quote out of context show the dishonest intentions on your part.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
That's precisely why I said THE CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT! Without context, that quote can be applied to anything thereby making it meaningless.

The fact that you are really determined to take that quote out of context show the dishonest intentions on your part.

Nope.....the context can only be applied to those who need their titles to lead.....very simple
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 9:27am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

FAIL FAIL FAIL!!! grin

The phrase stands out on its own!

"Any man who must say "I am king" is no true king"

Very clear statement. A statement that can be applied to who ever shouts "i am king/boss" to get things done

Now you are getting me worried about you!

How you can afford to pick a phrase from a book you did not write, assume a subtext that can mean just anything if left on it's own and apply it to religion beats me.

It's similar to assuming a subtext for a passage of Sacred scriptures without attempting to understand what the author had in mind...anyways this shows why you always interpret Sacred scriptures from the left.

But seriously LB, are you saying that everyone should give a meaning to that phrase as he or she deems fit? Well pappi, you are wrong on this one though I don't expect you to see it.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

Now you are getting me worried about you!

How you can afford to pick a phrase from a book you did not write, assume a subtext that can mean just anything if left on it's own and apply it to religion beats me.

It's similar to assuming a subtext for a passage of Sacred scriptures without attempting to understand what the author had in mind...anyways this shows why you always interpret Sacred scriptures from the left.

But seriously LB, are you saying that everyone should give a meaning to that phrase as he or she deems fit? Well pappi, you are wrong on this one though I don't expect you to see it.

You do that with the bible everyday
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nope.....the context can only be applied to those who need their titles to lead.....very simple
In that case, it doesn't have a religious subtext as you claim.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
In that case, it doesn't have a religious subtext.

Not necessarily but wanted peeps to relate it to religion........because it could be

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenneth E Hagin Of Blessed Memory (aug20,1917 -sept 19,2003) / This Man Of God Received Children As Tithes. / The 6 Raunchiest, Most Depraved Sex Acts (from The Bible)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.