Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? (2790 Views)

DAVID OYEDEPO IS A RELIGIOUS BIGOT / I Married A Religious Girl And I Think I Regret It. What Should I Do? / What Is The Definition Of A Religious Fanatic In Your Own Words And Are You One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nope.....the context can only be applied to those who need their titles to lead.....very simple

Are you sure you saw the movie? If you did, then you should realize that Geoffrey does not need his title to lead. He needs an army..have you asked yourself why Geoffrey was afraid of his grandfather the 'hand of the king'?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

Are you sure you saw the movie? If you did, then you should realize that Geoffrey does not need his title to lead. He needs an army..have you asked yourself why Geoffrey was afraid of his grandfather the 'hand of the king'?

Straw man alert.......

The comment was made at the meeting of the council (The king and the advisers to the king). Could he lead the meeting?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Mranony: 9:44am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:
Not necessarily but wanted peeps to relate it to religion........because it could be
And with this you have effectively neutered your op by admitting that it wasn't necessarily related to religion but you just wanted to paint it with a religious brush.

My job here is done. Thank you
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:
And with this you have effectively neutered your op by admitting that it wasn't necessarily related to religion but you just wanted to paint it with a religious brush.

Agreed.

well done sir, Epic!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 9:52am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Straw man alert.......

The comment was made at the meeting of the council (The king and the advisers to the king). Could he lead the meeting?

I guess 'straw man' is another fancy phrase you just feel like using because people use it...

@Bold; that was not the first 'council meeting'...Geoffrey had one before the grand dad came and he lead it.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Agreed.

well done sir, Epic!

...and he forever remains an olodo!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

I guess 'straw man' is another fancy phrase you just feel like using because people use it...

@Bold; that was not the first 'council meeting'...Geoffrey had one before the grand dad came and he lead it.

the comment was made at a point.....at one particular meeting....not others
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

...and he forever remains an olodo!

wink
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 13, 2013
In other news, I just started the First Episode of the Series....

Hopefully, I don't fall asleep
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 13, 2013
musKeeto: In other news, I just started the First Episode of the Series....

First episode is boring.....from episode 3, you wont stop!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 10:07am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

the comment was made at a point.....at one particular meeting....not others

Thread officially closed but...

You do realize that the grandfather was not present at other meetings because war was upon him...he came back only to meet a power crazed boy handling state matters as he deemed fit...wasting his threats (backed by brute force) on his defenceless subjects instead of being a king to them.

He saw all these and decided to speak up, considering that no one dared stood up to him. The comment like I said is directly related to the manner in which Geoffrey handled state matters.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

Thread officially closed but...

You do realize that the grandfather was not present at other meetings because war was upon him...he came back only to meet a power crazed boy handling state matters as he deemed fit...wasting his threats (backed by brute force) on his defenceless subjects instead of being a king to them.

He saw all these and decided to speak up, considering that no one dared stood up to him. The comment like I said is directly related to the manner in which Geoffrey handled state matters.

Oficcially closed?

Anony debunked me? Unbelievable.......I must take this with drink of cider......drink away my sorrows
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 10:09am On Jun 13, 2013
musKeeto: In other news, I just started the First Episode of the Series....

Fall asleep ke?

Guy if na only 24 you like to watch then just sofly sofly lef d film alone o
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 10:10am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

First episode is boring.....from episode 3, you wont stop!

Guy all the episodes are interesting...the first is particularly very interesting considering that it set the stage for the unfolding of all the events that took place.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by outcst1: 10:15am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Oficcially closed?

Anony debunked me? Unbelievable.......I must take this with drink of cider......drink away my sorrows

...as if this was the first time he is doing this to you!
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 10:33am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

*Facepalm*

Do you understand the meaning of "subtext"?
The op is not about the film's plot!

Here's the meaning of subtext:

1. The implicit meaning or theme of a literary text.
2. The underlying personality of a dramatic character as implied or
indicated by a script or text and interpreted by an actor in
performance.

There isn't a religious subtext. To do that look at the context, outcast told you. You failed to heed. Saying there's a religious context is stretching it. Look at Origin of the species, for example, the reason it is said to have an atheistic subtext is because the of its materialistic nature.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 10:37am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

The context is irrelevant and you indirectly supported that....

If you were left with only the pic (imagine no context)....wouldnt I still be able to relate it to th christian deities claiming to be king?

Let's try stretching it to another subtext. An anarchist subtext, no. Since having no true king could be called anarchy.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Here's the meaning of subtext:

1. The implicit meaning or theme of a literary text.
2. The underlying personality of a dramatic character as implied or
indicated by a script or text and interpreted by an actor in
performance.

There isn't a religious subtext. To do that look at the context, outcast told you. You failed to heed. Saying there's a religious context is stretching it. Look at Origin of the species, for example, the reason it is said to have an atheistic subtext is because the of its materialistic nature.

debunked....I think I need to stay of Nairaland....I'm losing my mojo
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 10:45am On Jun 13, 2013
Mr anony:

Precisely. This is why I'm skeptical of atheists' claimin they are objective and open to reason. The film (as described by outcast)isn't concerned with religion. He isolates a statement in the film and wants to use it to disparage the Christian God.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 10:46am On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

debunked....I think I need to stay of Nairaland....I'm losing my mojo

Powepuff girls to the rescue.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by DeepSight(m): 11:14am On Jun 13, 2013
The subtext. He (logicboy) is saying that any God that requires worship by self-assertion is no true God, this is what logicboy is saying to religious gods.

Abi?
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
Deep Sight: The subtext. He (logicboy) is saying that any God that requires worship by self-assertion is no true God, this is what logicboy is saying to religious gods.

Abi?

Yes.....thank you! Someone that sees things my way
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Powepuff girls to the rescue.

I actually thought that you were an old man....around 35

by the way, thats a different mojo- mojo jojo
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 6:55pm On Jun 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

I actually thought that you were an old man....around 35

by the way, thats a different mojo- mojo jojo

I'll be 23 this years ending. Funny though, cuz people say I'm appear older than my age.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by DeepSight(m): 7:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I'll be 23 this years ending. Funny though, cuz people say I'm appear older than my age.

You certainly think and write beyond your years son. Keep it up.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by ijawkid(m): 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What!!!!!!!..

UYI are you for real??.......
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2013
Deep Sight:

You certainly think and write beyond your years son. Keep it up.

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by UyiIredia(m): 9:17pm On Jun 13, 2013
ijawkid:

What!!!!!!!..

UYI are you for real??.......

Why the surprise ? Abeg no embarass me.
Re: Game Of Thrones- Is There A Religious Subtext Here? by LightningLord: 7:34am On Jun 30, 2013
Ohh, fanboing here (hence the username, The Brotherhood Without Banners at your service good sers). Was going to comment, but somehow forgot.

The original writer does comment on a lot of stuff, eg hypocrisy regarding sex, violence and the media, subtly or not, in the books. But here are some actual quotes from him about gods

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/master-of-the-games-george-r-r-martin-spars-and-parties-with-fans-in-montana-20120601

grrm:
"Is Jaime Lannister cursed by the Gods?" another asked. Martin put his elbows on the table and leaned forward, "Do you really believe there are Gods? I'll answer whether there are Gods in my books when I see definitive evidence about whether there are Gods in this world. Maybe if God turns up and is interviewed on CNN or something.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/82239.html

grrm:
Don't read this if you haven't yet watched the season finales of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and/ or LIFE ON MARS. I've finally seen both (we are TIVO junkies, so we don't always watch shows the night they air), and... well...

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ends with "God Did It." Looks like somebody skipped Writing 101, when you learn that a deus ex machina is a crappy way to end a story.

Now, now, this is complaining about the poor writing, but still. "GOD DID IT!"...lol

The TV series isn't all from him though, so whatever shows up there need not come from him. I can't remember if he used that actual line in the book. And yes, that line can apply to a lot of things, including gods

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophet Ajanaku's Death: Tope Alabi Reacts With Joy And Appreciation (PHOTO) / Christianity Is A Big Joke / Hillsong Lovers Tread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.