Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,420 members, 7,815,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution (7973 Views)

Mathematics (basic Differentiation Class And Skill) / Calculus Mental Challenge (CMC) WINNER ::::::::::::DRNIYI4U:::::::::: / Withheld/concealed/incomplete Jamb Results To Drop Complaint Here For Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by pmann(m): 8:41pm On May 06, 2008
Calculus which comprises of both differentiation and integration is the bed rock of engineering, technology and some sciences. If you intend studying any of the above discipline mostly engineering and technology, a very sound knowledge of calculus is required of you. You can hardly cope in engineering or technology if you don't have a sound knowledge of calculus. infact there is a level you will get to that you will need calculus in almost every area of your discipline. Please do not joke with calculus for it is the bed rock of engineering and all related fields. bring all your question let reason together so that we can find solutions to them all.

1 Like

Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by pmann(m): 12:12pm On May 07, 2008
Can any one find d2y/dx2 for the following if:

1. y = 4x4 + 10x2

2. y = (5x3 - 50x)4
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Ibime(m): 2:40pm On May 08, 2008
^^^OK, you like tough Calculus questions? Oya solve this one:

An open-ended rectangular water tank of diameter 3.1m contains water which flows out through a tap at the bottom. The taphole has a diameter of 0.075m. The height of the water is 3.5m at time t0 and take the density of the water as 7100Kgm-3. If the velocity at the taphole is V = sqrt(2gh) where h(t) is the instantaneous height and gravity is 9.81ms-2, find the time taken to empty the container.

Hint: You need to integrate dh/dt
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by MyTempID: 3:58pm On May 08, 2008
ebaneo:

it is too simple. we need tough question. the first one just differantiate it to get dy|dx and differiante it again to get d2y|dx2.
the second one expand the bracket using pascal triangle, after that apply rule 1. QED

I beg to differ. For the second one, expansion using pascal's triangle would just make things more complicated than they should be. Chain rule is enough to differentiate that function.

1 Like

Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by MyTempID: 4:00pm On May 08, 2008
pmann:

Can any one find d2y/dx2 for the following if:

1. y = 4x4 + 10x2

2. y = (5x3 - 50x)4

y = 4x4 + 10x2
dy/dx =16x3 + 20x
d2y/dx2 = 48x2 + 20

(5x3 - 50x)4
dy/dx = 4(5x3 - 50x)3*(15x2-50)
dy/dx = (5x3 - 50x)3*(60x2-200)

d2y/dx2 = [3*(5x3-50x)2*(15x2-50)*(60x2-200)] + 120x*(5x3 - 50x)3
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by bawomolo(m): 5:50pm On May 08, 2008
ah well u guys want a tough question.

find the maximum value of cosine(x^2-y^2) if x^2+y^2=1

find the value of the closed integral of (ydx + xdy + zdz) if x^2+y^2 = z , z<= 1

find the area of a circle if x^2 + y^2=4

find a vector field whose divergence is 1 + 3y^2 + xy

find the curl of x^2yi + 2xj + 3zyK

find the path integral if f = x^2+y^2 + z and c(t) = (sint,cost,t) t range from [0,1]
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Ibime(m): 6:21pm On May 08, 2008
bawomolo:

ah well u guys want a tough question.

find the maximum value of cosine(x^2-y^2) if x^2+y^2=1

Max cosine = Cosine of zero = 1.

Using that logic and knowing that x2 or y2 cannot be negative, I would say that both x2 and y2 are definitely less than 1.

So . . . . . . .

If x2 = 0.5 and y2 = 0.5, then x2 - y2 = 0 and cosine(0) = 1

Tentatively, I will suggest that the max value of cosine(x2-y2) = 1

I could be wrong. It sounds too obvious to be true.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Ibime(m): 6:43pm On May 08, 2008
bawomolo:

find the area of a circle if x^2 + y^2=4

If this is a circle with centre (0,0),

then the radius is 2, just apply pie x r2

or 4 x pie

= 88/7

= 12.5714m2
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by bawomolo(m): 7:11pm On May 08, 2008
we technically are supposed to solve them using calculus
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by pmann(m): 8:53pm On May 08, 2008
you guys are great mathematicians.

please help out with the following questions.

1. integrate (x2 - 16)1/2dx

2. integrate sin4xdx
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Ibime(m): 9:02pm On May 08, 2008
bawomolo:

we technically are supposed to solve them using calculus

O-boy, I don almost forget all the methods for Calculus except Taylor's theorem cos now I mostly deal with P.D.E's and na computer we dey use solve everything so I got to use Ibo man sense solve the questions.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by bawomolo(m): 3:22am On May 10, 2008
pmann:

you guys are great mathematicians.

please help out with the following questions.

1. integrate (x2 - 16)1/2dx

2. integrate sin4xdx

damn this are tough ones, got to use a table lol
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by MyTempID: 6:31am On May 12, 2008
they're not so bad. here's one, i'll work on the other one later.

Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by pmann(m): 12:22pm On May 13, 2008
I need help on diesel engines( those with 4 and 6 cylinder for a start). My question is what really causes the upward and downward movement of the piston i.e what causes combustion in diesel engines? How does gasoline engines differs from diesel engines?
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Kindy: 4:18pm On May 17, 2008
Dear Friends,
Please, help solve this maths for me:

1. Show that (1 + sin x )(1 + secant x) = Tan x
(1 + cosine x)(1 + cosecant x)

(please, note: it is numerators (1 + sin x)(1 + secant x) over denominators 1 + cosine x) (1 + cosecant x) = Tan x)

2. Express the following angles in degrees
(i) 370 (ii) -430 10' (i.e. 10' is 10 seconds)

3. Express the following angle sin radiant
(i) 21 radiant (ii) п radiant (i.e. pie over 12)

Please, give details so I can learn, if possible send to my email: challomkindy@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks.

Kindy
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by bawomolo(m): 1:10am On May 18, 2008
pmann:

I need help on diesel engines( those with 4 and 6 cylinder for a start). My question is what really causes the upward and downward movement of the piston i.e what causes combustion in diesel engines? How does gasoline engines differs from diesel engines?

diesel engines are compression ignition engines that self-ignite. gasoline engines are usually spark-ignition engines that require a spark plug to combustion.  diesel engines have hire fuel efficiency while gasoline engines have higher volumetric efficiency.  gasoline engines use an homogenous mixture diesel engine while use an heterogenous mixture.  diesel engines have an higher compression ratio(16:1 to 24:1) than gasoline engine.  i believe diesel engines run at an equivalent air-fuel ratio while gasoline engines are usually lean(more air than fuel). diesel engines use fuel with high cetane numbers while gasoline engines use fuel with high octane numbers.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by MyTempID: 2:38am On May 18, 2008
Kindy:

Dear Friends,
Please, help solve this maths for me:

1. Show that (1 + sin x )(1 + secant x) = Tan x
(1 + cosine x)(1 + cosecant x)

(please, note: it is numerators (1 + sin x)(1 + secant x) over denominators 1 + cosine x) (1 + cosecant x) = Tan x)

2. Express the following angles in degrees

3. Express the following angle sin radiant

Please, give details so I can learn, if possible send to my email: challomkindy@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks.

Kindy
0803 557 8818
challomkindy@yahoo.co.uk

I think you meant

2. Express the following angles in radians

3. Express the following angles in degrees

I'll provide solutions soon enough.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by MyTempID: 2:56am On May 18, 2008
Here

Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
Calculus must nt die...
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
More calculus questions pls.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2013
Try this simple1 y=x^4 +5x^3 -6x^2 +7x -3

compute its diffrential coefficient
hence or other wise obtain the equation of tangent to the curve and normal.
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
benbuks: Try this simple1 y=x^4 +5x^3 -6x^2 +7x -3

..who is tryin dis.?
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by 2nioshine(m): 9:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ibime: ^^^OK, you like tough Calculus questions? Oya solve this one:

An open-ended rectangular water tank of diameter 3.1m contains water which flows out through a tap at the bottom. The taphole has a diameter of 0.075m. The height of the water is 3.5m at time t0 and take the density of the water as 7100Kgm-3. If the velocity at the taphole is V = sqrt(2gh) where h(t) is the instantaneous height and gravity is 9.81ms-2, find the time taken to empty the container.

...I dont really fink this is tough enough..... grin
Ibime: ^^^OK, you like tough Calculus questions? Oya solve this one:

...I dont really fink this is tough enough.....
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 13, 2013
Nice thread! joining in...greetings to all the Engineers/Engineering students, Mathematicians/Math gurus and other CALCULUS lovers on the thread!

1 Like

Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Kendzyma(m): 10:00am On Nov 13, 2013

equatn at point wat?
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 13, 2013

..sorry at x=-2
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Juwon277: 11:46pm On Nov 15, 2013
pls help me and solved dis one. show dat 1-cosx=2sin^21/2x
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 16, 2013
Ok, where are the calculus gurus na, safe the life of this thread na..
Re: Bring All Calculus(differentiation And Integration) Problems For Solution by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 16, 2013
How do i master sophomore's dream pls.?

(1) (Reply)

Help! JAMB Is Not Sending My Profile Code (photo) / University Of Maiduguri ( UNIMAID ) / Advantages Of Studying In A Nigerian Polytechnic Over A University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.