Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 (7464 Views)

Nigerians’ll Starve To Death By 2050, If… —presidency / Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year / Bakassi Youths Vow To Surpass Boko-Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Nautillus(m): 12:01pm On Jun 14, 2013
Not possible.

even IF we double our 160 million 35 Years..thats 320 Million. The US is 360 Million now...im sure they will be well over
400 Million in 35 Years too.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by FrontPageLawyer(m): 12:03pm On Jun 14, 2013
Same oyinbo people tell us say make we nor put our horse before the cart. Haba!! Its just 2013. Most of us reading won't even be alive by 2050. Sad but true
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by hotwax: 12:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
jennykadry: I thought we'd surpassed them already??

Are you up to a state in AMerica?
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:08pm On Jun 14, 2013
I've always found it strange some people see our population as something to be proud of when bragging about Naija as the so called "giant of Africa" but in reality, it shows ignorance as there's demonstrable correlation between population explosion and poverty or illiteracy. A huge population like ours is only useful if it provides a sizable, skilled productive base. All it provides are a mass of dependants and unskilled, unproductive consumers making the population a liability rather than an asset.

We need to rethink our cultural values to reflect the challenges of the modern world and stay competitive. Else, the only thing that would save us is a draconian Chinese-style decree that would enforce a change. It baffles me to see impoverished, struggling people with 5/6/7 children. A culture that extols a fertile housewife that pops out kids like rabbits over an intellectually productive one with a high-powered career is a culture still grappling with the dark ages.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Zet72(m): 12:15pm On Jun 14, 2013
I thought we have surpassed USA in population courtesy of our northern brothers&their 4wife tradition from Allah.. grin
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Iykeponti(m): 12:16pm On Jun 14, 2013
All thanks to our northern pple, one man 10 wives..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:17pm On Jun 14, 2013
Nautillus: Not possible.

even IF we double our 160 million 35 Years..thats 320 Million. The US is 360 Million now...im sure they will be well over
400 Million in 35 Years too.
The current US population is 311 million and their growth rate is far smaller than ours despite the explosion in the Latino population. Also our population at its current growth rate would take less than 20 years to double rather than 35.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by 3ace(m): 12:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
I am sure Tuface will surely contribute immensely to this course.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by ikweremilitant: 12:30pm On Jun 14, 2013
bornosheikh: Nigeria's population is expected to surpass that of the US by 2050, according to new UN projections that predict the west African country could be the world's third most populous by the end of this century.

The UN report World population prospects: the 2012 revision, published on Thursday, predicts the world's population, now at 7.2 billion, will reach 8.1 billion in 2025. By mid-century, the world's population is expected to top 9.5 billion, reaching nearly 11 billion by 2100.

More than half of the growth predicted between now and 2050 is expected in Africa, where the number of people is set to more than double, from 1.1 billion to 2.4 billion. Africa's population will continue to rise even if there is a future drop in the average number of children each woman has, says the report, which predicts the number of people living on the continent could reach 4.2 billion (or more than 35% of total global population) by 2100.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2013/jun/13/nigeria-larger-population-us-2050

Good time to be involved in pikin bizness!
disaster in d making.and besides dia will be noting like nija by then
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by prettyboi1(m): 12:31pm On Jun 14, 2013
That isn't a bad thing. Population is very advantageous when properly utilized. See the growth in China? See the growth in Brazil? See the growth in India? A large population has a way of making people realize that everyone can't eat from the same sector because of stiff competition due to the large size of the population & this in turn makes people to start expanding the economy (unknowingly ) by them creating jobs in several other sectors that usually might have not been there before. Car production,military hardware,small-scale jobs,farming,teaching,etc. Man must eat,so people must find works to create outside the most common sectors due to a large population & this usually helps the involved country to grow in economy,influence, jobs.etc.
My problem however is that we Nigerians haven't realized our large population is a great potential tool to greatness. Everyone's still lying & lazying around waiting for "office jobs" & "oil jobs" or waiting for government to provide jobs for every single person hence the reason why our economy is more of a "consumer-economy" rather than a "producing-economy" & this has robbed our populace of a lot of jobs & thereby aids unemployment & poverty. By the way, Nigeria's population at the moment is about 170million while the u.s. population is about 316million. Nigeria's population growth might even outdo that of the u.s. before 2050.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Pretyangel25(f): 12:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
If onli there still be Nigeria by then. Lol
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Iykeponti(m): 12:34pm On Jun 14, 2013
Just because we no get sense ,thats why dey r playing wit us like dis smiley they talk say we no go reach 2015.... Waiting bring dis 2050 come again? If say we get sense atol, things no go be like dis... No be their fault sha...
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by TheBookWorm: 12:38pm On Jun 14, 2013
Who will feed these Nigerians?

Can Nigeria handle all these excess people or is Nigeria going to become like Bangladesh?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Iykeponti(m): 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2013
Kingslaw: .
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by TheBookWorm: 12:43pm On Jun 14, 2013
FrontPageLawyer: Same oyinbo people tell us say make we nor put our horse before the cart. Haba!! Its just 2013. Most of us reading won't even be alive by 2050. Sad but true

The life expectancy in Nigeria is that bad? shocked
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by prettyboi1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi: I've always found it strange some people see our population as something to be proud of when bragging about Naija as the so called "giant of Africa" but in reality, it shows ignorance as there's demonstrable correlation between population explosion and poverty or illiteracy. A huge population like ours is only useful if it provides a sizable, skilled productive base. All it provides are a mass of dependants and unskilled, unproductive consumers making the population a liability rather than an asset.

We need to rethink our cultural values to reflect the challenges of the modern world and stay competitive. Else, the only thing that would save us is a draconian Chinese-style decree that would enforce a change. It baffles me to see impoverished, struggling people with 5/6/7 children. A culture that extols a fertile housewife that pops out kids like rabbits over an intellectually productive one with a high-powered career is a culture still grappling with the dark ages.
You're right my brother in a lot of things you've pointed out in your comment. However, I must point out to you that a large population is / can be of far more advantages than disadvantages When properly & rightly utilized. Our problem with a large population in Nigeria so far is that we have a government that cannot use this population to its advantage. Also, a lot of us Nigerians are "mentally -lazy" zombies working around believing that jobs only lye in offices,hence the consumer-syndrome where we hardly produce anything outside small-scale productions & directly or indirectly results in "under-employment" & thereby results into "poverty" & everything negative. I still stand by my opinion that "If rightly utilized, a large population can benefit a country far more than it won't. "

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Iykeponti(m): 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2013
Lilimax: grin grin
It can only be possible in the case of one man one wife...
FORWARD DAT MSG TO D NORTHERN PPLE smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 14, 2013
Would 9ja even exist by 2050,thats about 37 yrs 4rm now.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by emmyclassic(m): 12:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
Abu Mikey: Nothing like Nigeria by Year 2050

Shey US population dey STAGNANT ni?
UN cant talk 2 US directly, they mean by that time terrorist wuld av wiped out US population with nulear weapons.. US stagnant nii?
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Ping411: 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2013
The result of poverty. A man takes sex as his only comfort.
Be fruitful and multiply, feel the Nation that has no provision for you not to mention your unborn kids.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Fabulous47(m): 1:07pm On Jun 14, 2013
la_unique: There will be nothing like nigeria in 2050 so it won't happen
why did u said so?
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Nomski0(f): 1:11pm On Jun 14, 2013
I seriously doubt this research. Nigerians are becoming more educated. People want to give birth to kids they can train and not the ones that'll roam the streets so this kids can care for them when they are old and also make something out for themselves in this world.
Sure we'll increase in pop. but not to surpass the u.s.
Even Poor man don dey know say baby food nor be garri o.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by nekaa(f): 1:13pm On Jun 14, 2013
Survive 2013 first,...
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 1:49pm On Jun 14, 2013
The idea being propagated here is like saying that in 21 years time I will be holder than my uncle who is 20 years older than me now. Are u saying the U.S. population will become stagnant?
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Venchy: 1:50pm On Jun 14, 2013
Without a doubt it will surpass US because sex is the only form of recreation Nigerians understand.

Suffering and smiling.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2013
jennykadry: I thought we'd surpassed them already??
?
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by nnalove(m): 2:39pm On Jun 14, 2013
Minus those killed by bokoharam and JTF. Nigeria is coming to an end by 2015 and u pals are cracking ur brain forecasting negative fin for 9ja.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by thelonestranger: 2:40pm On Jun 14, 2013
Gombs:

You bizarre ethnic chauvinist...y did you choose the igbos to pick on?

You must be an onye ofe ose man!...but plz, try to refrain frm saying stooopid tins (mod suPpose ban you sef). #NoOffenceIntendedPlz

Meanwhile, Jesus suppose don show before that time...y'all shdnt bother abt the stats...ok!
N

Ooooh why are you so sensitive nau? It was only observation and not accusation.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by nijanigga: 2:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Onlinebiz2012: we haven't even reach 2020, you guys are talking bout 2050... Mtchewww!
That is called strategic planning,predictive modeling, I doubt if you have enough brain to have a concept of how people do simulation either.
Re: Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 by caukerzee(m): 2:47pm On Jun 14, 2013
ALMUSTAQIM: The idea being propagated here is like saying that in 21 years time I will be holder than my uncle who is 20 years older than me now. Are u saying the U.S. population will become stagnant?
Ever heard of the phrase 'growth rate'?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Of Appeal Stops National Assembly From Imposing Statutory Delegates / Kogi Guber: Dino Melaye The Face Of Hope By Toluhi Lanre / Mass Revolt Looms In Nigeria, Obasanjo Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.