Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (1368 Views)

I Just Got A Job In A University With My 3rd Class. / Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 07, 2008
is there any hope for those of us "unfortunate" to have finished with 3rd class?
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gongoaso1: 11:58pm On May 07, 2008
sure. go learn forex and be your own boss, GBAM.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by cyonujemen(m): 11:40am On May 08, 2008
kazan, Pls dont allow ur class of degree to limit u. There are many things u can do with ur degree. l ve friends that ve ur class of degree and are gainfully employed. A friend just got a job with reltel. Another with Nigerdock and my cousin went into IT and is in his 2nd job. So be positive minded. Try not to display ur class of degree in ur CV. It is well. Dont forget prayer. Stay cool.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by vanessa1: 12:58pm On May 08, 2008
pls ,dont allow ur grade to stop u.some that made 1st class cant defend it.be strong n trust in urseif.grade doesnt count in nigeria.trust in god n trust in urself.be courageous. smiley smiley smiley :d :d
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gongoaso1: 1:57pm On May 08, 2008
vanessa1:

some that made 1st class can't defend it.

missed the point of the post. advise him, what can he do. no use bringing up unnecesary sentiments and massaging of ego.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by panteleonk: 3:49pm On May 08, 2008
gongo-aso you are a complete idiot, why not go to north and pursue cow abi nama like your stupid brothers over there in the north rather than didplay your mega stupidity here, the guy gave him good advice and hope and you are talking nonsence from your smelling yansh we you no wash as you sit. hausa goat
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by CRAVE4U(m): 4:12pm On May 08, 2008
Kazan, with God nothing is impossible, lay your hands on post graduate form, do PGD and masters to bridge the gap, you would have many opportunities even in the lecturing area if you wish to, God would certainly give you a job
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 08, 2008
panteleonk:

gongo-aso you are a complete idiot, why not go to north and pursue cow abi nama like your stupid brothers over there in the north rather than didplay your mega stupidity here, the guy gave him good advice and hope and you are talking nonsence from your smelling yansh we you no wash as you sit. hausa goat

Panteleonk, why are you insulting gongo aso?!! He is only saying the truth. Putting down someone who made a 1st class is not going to help he who had a third class to get a job. I'm sure the thing about forex was a joke but the fact is that if you do have a third class, you're better off doing your own thing.

vanessa1:

please ,don't allow your grade to stop u.some that made 1st class can't defend it.be strong n trust in urseif.grade doesnt count in nigeria.trust in god n trust in yourself.be courageous. smiley smiley smiley :d :d

@Vanessa: Oh please!!! I'm sure you don't know anyone who had a 1st class for you to be talking the way you are. Do you think its easy?!!! You need to maintain a 90% A grade average in your subjects and you feel they will not be able to defend it? Give credit where its due and don't hate.

@ poster: Like you've been told. It is still possible for you to get a good job though you need to shore yourself up with some other things to make you look more 'sellable'. MCSE, Cisco, Ican etc.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by bioroma: 9:50pm On May 08, 2008
MY FRIEND,IT IS NOT BY GRADE BUT BY GRACE.UR GRADE CAN NOT DETERMINE HOW FAR U WILL GO IN LIFE BUT THE GRACE OF GOD,REMEMBER,THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT,NEITHER IS THE BATTLE TO THE STRONG.
ONLY HAVE FAITH IN GOD AND KEEP THANKING HIM 4 UR GRADE,REMEMBER WEN JESUS GAVE THANKS 4 THE 5LOAVES OF BREAD AND TWO FISHES,IT WAS MULTIPLIED AND WAS MORE THAN ENOUGH,SO I WANT U TO GIVE GOD QUALITY PRAISE ON A DAILY BASIS FOR THAT GRADE AND IT SHALL BE MORE THAN ENOUGH IN DUE SEASON.
IT IS WELL WITH U.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mosyb: 10:11pm On May 08, 2008
O boy if u wan know who get 3rd class, ask of tony Elumelu, UBA CEO, what of Gani Fawehinmi etc,no b d class of degree u get , na the sense wey u get, most companies to day no care about class of degree, na wetin u get to offer na im dem want

Every body knows that the calibre of graduates today are half baked, most of them "sort" in order to get a good class of degree, that is why companies like shell, still have to retrain the so called graduates in order for them to work,

Even you field of study does not matter, what does one who studied botany or zoology have to do with working in a bank ? na connection dem all get, so no mind your degree, SHINE YOUR EYE ! companies dey wey go employ you, no b d class of degree matter
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by deor03(m): 10:23pm On May 08, 2008
mosyb:

O boy if u wan know who get 3rd class, ask of tony Elumelu, UBA CEO, what of Gani Fawehinmi etc,no b d class of degree u get , na the sense wey u get, most companies to day no care about class of degree, na wetin u get to offer na im them want

Every body knows that the calibre of graduates today are half baked, most of them "sort" in order to get a good class of degree, that is why companies like shell, still have to retrain the so called graduates in order for them to work,

Even you field of study does not matter, what does one who studied botany or zoology have to do with working in a bank ? na connection them all get, so no mind your degree, SHINE YOUR EYE ! companies dey wey go employ you, no b d class of degree matter

Almost all companies in europe train graduates before throwing them into the work place. It is not necessarily because nigerian graduates are "half baked"
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by debosky(m): 10:30pm On May 08, 2008
@ deor3

leave them to continue to 'console' themselves that the other graduates are 'half baked'

If First Class is 'half baked' then third class is what. . .1/8th baked? grin grin

Ok so now it is a matter of 'sorting' - did you get a third class because you didn't have money to sort?

Class of degree is not the matter - just get any degree and look for work - thousands of people with better degrees are out there and you think it 'doesn't matter' right?

Try other modes of self development, seek further training and qualifications that can make you employable regardless of your degree, or seek out a way to start on your own. You may have the opportunity to get a job with your current degree - but let no one deceive you that 'it doesn't matter' - it does.

Many companies will not even look at your CV without a given class of degree - brace up and take whatever opportunities you have with all seriousness.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mosyb: 11:10pm On May 08, 2008
"Ok so now it is a matter of 'sorting' - did you get a third class because you didn't have money to sort?"

Dont misquote me what i meant was that not all graduates are graduates,it's not about sorting, its about what u have upstairs, some could have a 3rd class because of financial inability to fundn their education, some due to victimisation from some lecturers, some are just plain lazy,so dem no get brain

yes i agree that most companies retrain their newhe intakes, but GO TO SHELL AND SEE THOSE GUYS WHO GOT THEIR FIRST CLASS THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, see how they are fucking up they even have to resign their jobs

yes he has to learn new skills, but what of if he is still an OLODO, will he not still perform poorly,

you say he can start business on his own, na u go give am money ? or make im go thief ? i beg your pardon, be realistic, 3rd class is not a good degree, what about pass degree, well their is hope for all of them

the big companies are hiring first class products, are the all good, be sincere to your self if you are a gtraduate od middle 90's then you dey half baked ? that remark does not concern you, except you feel like that

The GCE, JAMB and university wey you go , you no copy ? na your head wey u use, if so u b genuis o!

O boy if you no do all these things then u be liar and you no go university, go ask guys wey go school make dem tell you, stop feeling righteous,

yes d boy go make am, make im no lose hope, jobs dey, im go work, for your information , most nigerian multinational companies don dey employ graduates from abroad universties, na who cause am , na u or gofment ?

abeg, leave that tin, i know say u get 1st class na im make u dey vex, me na university attempted i do , but i get sense pass all of una, ( make una laff jare ) na d fun we dey

if u wan talk , i ready
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by debosky(m): 11:25pm On May 08, 2008
what have you said?

Ok there are a few people who got their degrees illegally, so what? Does that negate the fact that a third class degree is not good enough for most companies to employ?

why all the emphasis on shell anyways? So what if one guy messed up?

You didn't answer me - if a first class grad is half baked, what happened to the third class one? unbaked at all? grin

Even those grads being employed from abroad, majority of them are the same 'half baked' or 'sorted' First Class or 2/1 degree holders who went ahead and proved their selves in foreign universities, or did they 'sort' abroad as well? grin

I didn't get a first class mind you, but all this lazy talk annoys me - i know people who had to work through school but still got degrees good ones at that without sorting or any nonsense - if you keep excusing mediocrity there will never be progress.

Stop massaging his ego like someone else said - the truth is that he is in a poor situation and will need to work harder than most to get out of it.

There may be jobs, but definitely not Shell. . .at least for 5-6 years if he can get suitable experience.

I should be 'realistic' eh? How realistic is it to expect to have the same chances as a 1 or 2/1 candidate? Some chance maybe, but not an equal one. He needs to work extra hard - seek loans from family members, work menial jobs, do whatever he can (that is legal) to either raise funds for further studies or start a business.

I thought you mentioned Elumelu who got third class - did I borrow him money to start his business too? grin

When you have something insightful or intellgent beyond 'the other grads are half baked or they 'sorted'' mantra you keep repeating, let me know.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by 4Him1(m): 11:32pm On May 08, 2008
mosyb:

O boy if u wan know who get 3rd class, ask of tony Elumelu, UBA CEO, what of Gani Fawehinmi etc,no b d class of degree u get , na the sense wey u get, most companies to day no care about class of degree, na wetin u get to offer na im them want

the usual trump card used to excuse laziness.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by kiki12: 11:39pm On May 08, 2008
. . . You're a smart one. . .
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by kiki12: 11:40pm On May 08, 2008
Debosky . . . I mean,
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Uche2nna(m): 11:41pm On May 08, 2008
@ mosyb

My guy , I no get first class but I wish I did. Dont nobody tell U different ; IT MATTERS. If not for anything it shows commitment to one's cause.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gongoaso1: 12:48am On May 09, 2008
panteleonk:

never knew we had so many pricks around angry

so obvious this panathiniakos or wateva must have finished with a "seventh class" , that is if he has ever been within the four walls of a university  sad

panteleonk:

why not go to north and pursue cow abi nama like your stupid brothers over there in the north

he dey find trouble. your fatwa is on the way.
@poster
no mind the evil digression the guy caused. it is well with you.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by laidback(m): 8:57am On May 09, 2008
@ Poster
Is there any hope for you? Ofcourse there is. But it depends on a lot. How willing are you to step up and rise up to the challenge. You are worried because you've realised the amount of emphasis put on class of degree. I dont blame you.

Your class of degree is not half as important as the society makes it seem. Now, no matter what ANYBODY says, YOU need to understand that fact to move on, or else you might give up on yourself.

A few companies understand this fact and structure thier recruiting accordingly. find them. Also develop yourself in other ky areas too.

At the end of the day, the question is : WHO ARE YOU.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 09, 2008
Debosky you too much. I really no understand people like mosyb at all. SO the fact that 1 in like 200 people sorted to get 2/1 does that mean that is an excuse to get a 3rd class. Should you look at anyone else before deciding to work hard for your own good?!!!

I don't know what the issue is with this 'half baked ' thing people keep mentioning. Is it not the same school these half baked people went to with those who had 3rd class? The fact that someone blocks should not stop you from working hard on your own. Conversely do you know what it takes to have a 3rd class?!! That is 90% D in your courses with no A whatsoever.

There is also this school of thought that's being propagated around that those who work hard in school are mumus who can't defend themselves while those who played around and did not read are the real undiscovered geniuses. Continue to decieve yourselves.

And finally, for all those who look for excuses why they didn't do too well in school, there is no way AND I MEAN NO WAY IN THIS WORLD that you can block to get a first class. Do you know what it entails?!!!! 90% A in all your courses and trust me that ain't easy.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by ade2kay(m): 1:07pm On May 09, 2008
debosky, og2711, and gongo_aso, may God bless your souls, may you always prosper in whatever you do for saying the truth and sticking to the truth.

What is all these stupid talk about someone 'sorting' to get 1st class or a 1st class graduate not being able to defend himself.

Agreed, a 1st class graduate may not be a great orator or an extrovert, but a 1st class graduate is very capable.
Don't ever miss great orator skills for technical ability or intelligence.
You will even be surprised to discover that most of these 'loud speakers' and fast talkers are not sound academically.
On the other hand, most 1st class graduates are introverts who may not like talking too much, but are silent, efficient machines.

Not posessing great oratory skills is not the same thing as "The guy cannot defend his certificate"

Agreed some 1st class graduate may have crammed and dumped down answers when they where in schools, but it takes serious effort to finish with a 1st class.

And, you can never sort to get a 1st class.

And God in his impartiality will never allow a first class graduate to be wrongly classified with a third class graduate.

You can't eat your cake and have it, and what you sow is what you reap.

You can not have wasted your time in school with laziness and lazy excuses, and expect to be treated equally with someone who labored hard to finish tops.

Also this stupid talk that you came out with a 3rd class because you didn't have money to sort is rubbish.

The only semester in school when i had the best result in my class was the semester when i was poorest.
Even having no money didn't make me have time and money for frivolities, and clubbing and girls and other academic vices.

You can be a poor student and still be the best student.

So, if you are still an undergraduate and digesting all these negative postings, you have started creating your unemployment, but if you sit tight now, there will always be a job for you cos God will always remember your labor and sweat when you were in school.

By working hard in school and facing your studies, you are signing a contract with God which he (God) will honor and reward you accordingly when you finish school.

For a 3rd class graduate, you have heard it all, double the effort you did make when you were in school now, and hope for a miracle.

Peace.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by ade2kay(m): 1:44pm On May 09, 2008
Again, oga admin, abeg change the title of the thread to "Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us who Finished With 3rd Class?".

You can't be unfortunate to finish with a 3rd class, the reality is "You finished with a 3rd class".

Do you mean you were unfortunate in not less than 8semesters ?.

Even if you had a setback in 1 or 2 semesters, you could have bounced back powerfully to compensate for the other semesters, that is why it is called "cummulative GPA"

I spoke to a friend just before we left school, he told me that the best students in his department was guyz who were so poor that they had to do farm work on weekends at their villages to make ends meet.
These were local, village inidigenes who understood that the way to the top is thru hardwork and no excuse for their laziness.

If you can read, write and write, you will finish at worst a 2nd class lower
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by gongoaso1: 2:25pm On May 09, 2008
@poster, like I mentioned earlier, have you ever thought about this forex thing? you could train yourself and explore its possibilities. Believe me, even 1st class graduate dey do forex. I even know medical doctor into it too. You can still be submitting applications while trading and in God's time  be called. That time , forex fit make you reject job offers  cool

never mind the negative sides, but you know little truths don't hurt, @vanessa & palentorubbish!

Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mosyb: 12:00am On May 12, 2008
u guys are frunny,wetin b una problem, na how u end na im matter ? abacha son drop out from NDA him no get brain, but im fada get connection, so why d fuss, me i no get 1st class , but i get 2,2 so why una dey halla, na encourage i dey encourage d guy, if u wan work 4 small company dem go employ u, rgardless of your degree,

d people wey dey politics, no b result dem forge, and dem dey make am, o boy make una concentrate, i know say things don beta 4 una, una b big boys, just try to give other guys hope, as abacha bin dey ,people write exam 4 am , yet him rule d country, even if im dey Bleep up, o boy evry thing na time and chance

Nigeria of today na connection wey u get and who u know, no be wetin u study, so why una dey carry all theese, things for head, make una think of una life jare, you and the average alaba trader who better pass him no dey see ,money ? yet you dey dey find work , evry thing na cmon sense, na im matter

see if i be you if my own better i go encourage other guys, any bodi wey dey reply , i know say na first class dem get, una own good o, una be sabi sabi, we wey get 2nd class, we dey manage, but any how we dey survive

no be say we no get genuinue first class, dem plenty, no b small, but if u go school, some exceptions dey , no be the issue of sorting i mean, some no just deserve am, i no dey condemn 1st class holders o, sbeg make una hear me o, dem good o, so make una no misunderstand me

If degree dey important why some comapanies dey wan do aptitude test and all d rest, wetin dey wan get grin

why dem no base on degree, o boy face reality, work na work, na cmon sense wey we need, if u like go read phd , if u go Bleep up u Bleep up

Any way those guys wey get 1st class, i congratulate una o , una 2 much, whether una get am any how, una try, i doff my cap for una

any bodi wey wan reply think b4 u talk, i no abus e any bodi o, abeg o see me o, i b una boy o , i dey loyal

In short una dey Bleep up cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 8:24am On May 12, 2008
Mosy B, the reason why companies do aptitude tests is because of the sheer number of people who have 2.1 and 1st class in this country, not because degrees are worthless. If you've been to any test centre you will know how large this number is.

And please stop confusing the poster by telling him that the only way is by levels, sorting and the like. I personally don't have any level and barely (make i no lie) sorted while in school. But by God's grace I am making my way SLOWLY BUT SURELY in this life. Better job no easy, even if no one uses level. So that is why you must arm yourself to the teeth with as much things as possible to seperate you from the crowd.

Poster, please pay no attention to the examples mosyb is giving. Abacha's son, politicians and other drop outs. If those are his inspirations, they should not be yours. I'm sure you did not go to school to become these. There are people who came through adversity with hardwork and good virtues not sorting and their father's name.

Poster, i think the message is simple. Develop yourself, pray and open your eyes to ANY opportunity that comes your way.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by mosyb: 8:44am On May 12, 2008
"Mosy B, the reason why companies do aptitude tests is because of the sheer number of people who have 2.1 and 1st class in this country, not because degrees are worthless. If you've been to any test centre you will know how large this number is."

i never said our degrees are worthless, then mine will b worthless too, so pls understand me, read what i said carefully, just to lighten the guys mind, and pls dont act like a saint,

did u say the number of pple with 1st class and 2nd class upper are many than then i totally disagree with you

Look aptitude test is all based on simple intelligence and not about what you have read, then engineer would have been inventors

o boy small small, we no dey quarell o , we go yan later, i know say u b self employed, i see am like that , that is y u dey take am slow slow grin grin grin grin
Re: Is There Any Hope For Those Of Us "unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by nyabinghi(m): 10:01am On May 12, 2008
Guys,

Its not about being lazy that caused most people to end with third class, its clearly due to lack of focus. I am a third class grad, but can hold my own academic wise against anything grade u ended up with. I have dusted countless 2.1s in aptitude tests and my masters class. You guys shouldn't resort to name calling because someone asked for your opinion wrt to a subject matter.

(1) (Reply)

Field Engineers Needed / Vacancies In Pz Cussons / Graduate Trainees Needed 2009/2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.