Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,542 members, 7,812,692 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey (2471 Views)

Between BMW And Mercedes / Man Smashes His £100,000 BMW M6 In Protest About Car’s Reliability / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 16, 2013
A recent survey published January 2013 has found that German cars Audi, BMW and VW, are among the worst when it comes to engine failure.

Audi, BMW and VW cars are not as reliable as their reputation suggests. That's according to one warranty provider, which has studied its database to reveal the makes of cars most and least likely to have engine problems.
Warranty Direct, which with 50,000 policies on its books is the UK's leading supplier of direct consumer warranties, claims that Audis, BMWs and Volkswagens have some of the least reliable engines available.
Indeed, among the cars owned by its policy holders, the only engines to have failed more than Audis were those from the now defunct MG Group. In total 1 in 13 of MG Rover motors failed in the past year, and problems presented themselves in 1 in every 27 Audi engines. Mini was the third least reliable with a failure rate of 1 in 40, while BMW finished seventh (1 in 45) and Volkswagen ninth (1 in 52).
The most reliable engines came from Honda, with a failure rate of just 1 in 344, with Toyota in second (1 in 171) and, maintaining some honour for the German brands, Mercedes in third (1 in 119).
The company also pointed out the high cost of repair that can be associated with engine problems. In its highest claim, which was for a Range Rover Vogue.
http://2.bp..com/-4MF3Gx0cIp4/UP7GzkG3KsI/AAAAAAALZI4/6wfbqEyPfhA/s1600/Untitled-2.jpg

Extracted from:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9815860/German-cars-lose-out-in-reliability-survey.html

Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 16, 2013
how reliable are these ratings
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 16, 2013
seeing vw/audi on the list doesnt surprise me... since 1998, their reliability has been plummeting ever since the management started aiming to become the largest carmaker in the world.

1 Like

Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 16, 2013
smartchoice: how reliable are these ratings
Go to google.com to find out. That rating is correct based on some online reaearch I also did.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 16, 2013
Be sure I have. But just trying to see if car users on nairaland might have contrary opinions based on their experience.

lomomike: Go to google.com to find out. That rating is correct based on some online reaearch I also did.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 16, 2013
smartchoice: Be sure I have. But just trying to see if car users on nairaland might have contrary opinions based on their experience.

. Haha U wan cause world war 3 f®я NL shey?

1 Like

Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 6:15am On Jun 17, 2013
No just seeking people's contributions based on personal experiences.

lomomike: . Haha U wan cause world war 3 f®я NL shey?
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by GarbaAudu: 7:54am On Jun 17, 2013
Audi, BMW, & VW cars? WTF! Something must be definately wrong! Pls, where is Siena? We need some explanation.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 17, 2013
People use a certain make and model of automobile, based upon personal preference, and a certain maintenance culture. Then later change their marque. And use the same maintenance schedule on their new automobile. This is not the way forward, every marque has a different maintenance schedule, and a garage that may have an excellent reputation at working on Daihatsu may be less confident working on a BMW.

Lack of knowledge of a product is a world-wide issue, not just a Nigerian one. I have had big, well-known garages here in the UK sub-contract work to me, because they or their technicians don't feel confident working on a certain marque. Which is fine, it's when a garage refuses to admit they're struggling, and decide to press on in an area beyond their capabilities, that issues will arise.

I have owned Audi, BMW and Volkswagen for many years. 4 BMW (I still own a 2008 120D M-Sport) 13 Volkswagen, and at my last count, well over 36 Audi! And I compete in Sprints and track days, drive my cars hard on the road, and I'm yet to have any of my steeds suffer catastrophic engine or transmission failure. My cars are generally modified, more power through a stock manual transmission, or even a V8 running a stock transmission will show up any weaknesses. So far, all is holding together just fine.

Any automobile is what the owner, or what the servicing garage makes it.

Just to let you guys know - Audi and VW DO suffer automatic transmission failure. And the reason? VAG has stated certain models do NOT require transmission oil and filter replacement, stating they're "filled for life." While this is true for some, this does NOT apply to all. The Multitronic (CVT) fitted to later FWD models has a maintenance schedule, which if ignored, will cause premature failure. Some Tiptronic models as well as regular automatics also require tranny servicing. Unfortunately, many garages (including Audi and VW ones!) are not aware of the correct procedure. Or even able to carry it out to the letter.

I have approached different Audi garages and tried to "book a transmission service" only to be told, "we don't do that", or "your Audi doesn't need one, the transmission is filled for life." When I've patiently pointed out the manual says otherwise, they've suddenly become uncomunicative. I wonder why?

The same goes with timing chain failure, quite an issue on the Audi S4 B6/B7 fitted with the high-revving 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V (BBK) motor. Chains are meant to last way longer than belts, but again, this doesn't mean they don't need to be inspected. The hydraulic tensioner needs to be checked, and if out of spec, MUST be replaced. The same goes for the tensioner guides. Unfortunately, these items are often overlooked (even by Audi / VW franchises). The same goes for BMW. The N47 2,0 common-rail diesel engine is chain driven, and the chain has been ignored by some garages, resulting in failure.

Not the fault of the automobile, but due to inadequate training, and freedom of informating sharing. When a manufacturer will NOT share vehicle spec with independent garages, including certain repair schedules, failure across the board is imminent. Older vehicles are much more basic, and even the average owner can (and often do) their own repairs and servicing themselves.

Current automobile are much more complex, and require a different approach. They are engineered to be MORE, not LESS reliable than older designs. So when failure in later models (from circa 2003>wink occurs, yet the older models from the same marque seem to be unaffected, then one needs to look at the service and maintenance log, and also check what recalls have been carried out. One also needs to check if the servicing garage has ALL their staff trained in ALL aspects of a current model. Because updates are carried out often, and their techs need to be kept abreast of new developments.

Otherwise, failures will continue to occur.

1 Like

Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 17, 2013
I like the way my Oga Siena (oga I duf my heart for you) use defend him own preferred marque. Well, he said it all the longevity of your car lies in the hands of your mechanic and you. Although there are some models from any marque might have issues from the manufacturing. Hence these manufacturers make recalls.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 18, 2013
keep the comments coming...
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 23, 2013
The day Siena moves to Lagos and open a workshop will be the day i buy my dream 2006 Audi A4.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by datola: 10:37pm On Jun 23, 2013
Of course, from all online reviews I have read, Toyota and Honda cars are the most reliable. They might score low compared to BMW, Volks, Audi in other parameters such as build quality, performance, etc, but as far as reliability is concerned the whole world gives it to them.

Why is Toyota Corolla usually the world's number one selling car despite it's blandness- it's reliability and that's key to an average income earner the world over.

Hence, Toyota, or Honda recommendation by Nigerian mechanics is not out of place.

.. most reliable, most stolen in Nigeria.
Re: Audi, BMW And VW Lose Out In Reliability Survey by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2013
But for me I like the feeling of safety behind the wheels hence my choice of mercedes stability, reliability, dependability as long as you take care of it....well am referring to w202 c class four cylinders dohc. wink

datola: Of course, from all online reviews I have read, Toyota and Honda cars are the most reliable. They might score low compared to BMW, Volks, Audi in other parameters such as build quality, performance, etc, but as far as reliability is concerned the whole world gives it to them.

Why is Toyota Corolla usually the world's number one selling car despite it's blandness- it's reliability and that's key to an average income earner the world over.

Hence, Toyota, or Honda recommendation by Nigerian mechanics is not out of place.

.. most reliable, most stolen in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Better To Use:honda Accord Vs Toyota Camry Both 1999 / ECU And Key Reprogramming / Installation of my Subwoofer on my BMW F Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.