Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,020 members, 7,825,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

A Father’s Lamentation: How Policemen Shot My 9-year-old Son Dead - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Father’s Lamentation: How Policemen Shot My 9-year-old Son Dead (784 Views)

Man In Court For Sucking Private Part Of 9-year-old Boy / Father Brutalised And Abandons Four-year-old Son at bus-stop (PIX) / How Policemen Shot Man In Delta State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Father’s Lamentation: How Policemen Shot My 9-year-old Son Dead by Yippsy(m): 10:59am On Jun 16, 2013
As he woke up last Thursday, nine-year-old Timilehin Ebun, a Basic 3 pupil of Royal Scholars International School, Ikorodu Lagos was bubbling with life. Later in the evening, he persuaded his father, Mr Olusegun Ebun, who had said he would not follow him and his mother to the airport to welcome his elder brother who was to arrive from abroad that day. Because of the affection he has for him, the father agreed to take him along to the airport. Not knowing that death was lurking in the corner for him later that night, Timi as he was fondly called by his dad, picked his phone and fondled with it. As they were coming from the airport back to their Ikorodu home in his father’s car, an argument ensued between him and his father. Timi, enjoying a game on his phone, was told by his father that he should be a medical doctor in future. But he disagreed. He rather said he wanted to be a footballer. Because the traffic was heavy, there was enough time for the argument. The father was persuading him to first of all enter the university for Medicine before he could take to football.

However, they had no premonition that both Timilehin’s dream and that of his father would eventually come to naught a few minutes later. As they left Ketu and were approaching Kosofe, there was a loud bang. When Mr Ebun composed himself and put on the car’s inner light, he saw a lifeless Timi in the pool of his own blood. Timi sat in the middle of the Pathfinder Jeep while the mother who sat with the father in front of the car was also soaked in blood.

The incident according to Mr. Ebun occurred at Kosofe after Ketu at about 9 p.m. in the evening.

Narrating the incident, his father recalled, “We were on our way from the airport and traffic was moving slowly. We got to Ketu, before Mile 12, the traffic was a bit thick there. On getting to Kosofe bus stop we heard a loud bang. At that point I was shaken. Then the vehicle stopped suddenly. By the time I said ‘let me put on the inner light’, I saw Timilehin, a 9-year-old boy in a pool of blood, then the mother too. On the other side of the road, to Ketu, there was this Nigeria Police vehicle parked and they wanted to escape. The Area Boys wanted to stop them because they actually shot the gun. I think they were trying to extort money from a commercial driver. It was during that process that they shot at us. Very unprofessional in the way they handled the gun. It was a direct shot at our vehicle. The bullets came from the windscreen.

“That was how they killed my son; the boy died on the spot. When I carried him, the people around the area took me to a nearby hospital so as to see whether he could be revived but the doctor said he was dead.”

Describing how the boy died, Ebun said, “The bullet pierced through the windscreen into his eyes, and right into the brain. He was sitting down in the middle of the car, a Jeep Pathfinder.”

Ebun said in his confused, he went to the police vehicle which was on the other side of the road leading to Ketu and told the police to kill him since they have killed his son, but they quickly drove off in their vehicle.

They later traced the police vehicle to the Ketu Police Station where it was parked.

“We were there for about four hours but the DPO refused to appear to us but we saw the vehicle that carried the team. I couldn’t finger out the person that fired the shot because it was a team. They were blaming themselves silently immediately the incident happened. At the station they asked me to point to the person that killed my son, which was impossible. I don’t know who among the team. My wife made statement at the Ketu Police Station because I was not composed. The DPO didn’t want to make himself available.

I took my wife to Ajayi Medical Hospital Ikorodu, Lagos. We slept there because of the wound she sustained and also my son that we had gone to pick at the airport. They treated her, the bruises and the pellets were removed from her body. We left the car at the Ketu Police Station.”

“We are a family of five, myself, my wife and the three children but being the last child, he likes sitting in the middle of the car. The area boys even stole my phone.

At Ketu Police Station I created a scene; I put his body on their counter and told them to eat it and they all ran out”. Describing Timi, Ebun said he was a lovely person. “He has love for people. We were arguing inside the traffic. I said you have to become a medical doctor. He said he wanted to be a footballer. He likes watching football and cartoons. In this house, I don’t know how to operate the television. I don’t know how to turn the video; it is Timilehin that does all that.

He is the engineer in this house. If NEPA took off light, he is the one that would change to generator. Though he is nine years old, he is more mature than a 17 years old boy. He was born abroad and carries Irish passport. He is an Irish citizen by birth.” Ebun called on the government to ensure that those who killed his innocent son do not go unpunished. “The people that perpetrated the act should face the music.

Those that killed my son, an innocent boy, should be made to face the law. We have adequate law in Nigeria. The DPO knows the police officer involved.

They are just hiding him,” Ebun lamented. All efforts to get the reaction of the police to the story proved abortive as the two lines of the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Ngozi Braide, a Deputy Superintendent of Police were switched off. Also, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Umar Manko did not pick his calls while a text message sent to his line was not responded to.

Source:
http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/a-fathers-lamentation-how-policemen-shot-my-9-year-old-son-dead/
Re: A Father’s Lamentation: How Policemen Shot My 9-year-old Son Dead by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 16, 2013
OP pls do me a huge favour, can u invite this fathere to come join NL and join this thread, his input is immediately needed here.
https://www.nairaland.com/1310266/please-come-lets-better-police
I am waiting right over there

(1) (Reply)

News: Suspected Armed Robber Burnt Alive To Death In Onitsha / US Teenage Missionary Admits To Raping Young Children At Kenyan Orphanage / If Patrick Sawyer Was A Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.