Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,174 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo (1122 Views)

See The War Between Yoruba And Igbo On Twitter Hashtag #yorubaboys / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers / Marriage between Yoruba And Igbo people On The Rise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Ikengawo: 8:33pm On Jun 16, 2013
The more familiar i get with yoruba the less different the language sounds. It seems to me that the common origin theory isn't too far off the mark, and more importantly the time of seperation between the two cultures wasn't as long ago as one would assume.

for example
Eko O ni baje (Lagos shall not spoil)
Lagos a ga na bajiye (Lagos shall not break)
Lagos o ga na bajiye (Lagos, it will not break)

some common yoruba phrases i've been hearing sound like igbo when you sit down and think about them phonetically. I remember my friend telling me her parents used to alway say "I'll slap the light out of your ear") Which is also a common igbo threat lol. I was surprised that the two phrases were almost identical.
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ikengawo: The more familiar i get with yoruba the less different the language sounds. It seems to me that the common origin theory isn't too far off the mark, and more importantly the time of seperation between the two cultures wasn't as long ago as one would assume.

for example

some common yoruba phrases i've been hearing sound like igbo when you sit down and think about them phonetically. I remember my friend telling me her parents used to alway say "I'll slap the light out of your ear"wink Which is also a common igbo threat lol. I was surprised that the two phrases were almost identical.
im sure u are very aware of d HUGE difference btw d two entities....especially here on NL .
lol,there can neva be anytin in common wit a cat & a mouse tongue
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by gbanikiti(m): 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ikengawo:
for example
What language is "Lagos a ga na bajiye? " I hope It's not igbo language?

1 Like

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by IGBOSON1: 9:26pm On Jun 16, 2013
What's 'bajiye'? Is that an Igbo word?
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 16, 2013
IGBO-SON:
can u see confusion is not d same as conviction as i v sampled earlier.....thats y u & d other girl had to ask him wat language he meant by.

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by DuduNegro: 9:48pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ikengawo: The more familiar i get with yoruba the less different the language sounds. It seems to me that the common origin theory isn't too far off the mark, and more importantly the time of seperation between the two cultures wasn't as long ago as one would assume.

for example

some common yoruba phrases i've been hearing sound like igbo when you sit down and think about them phonetically. I remember my friend telling me her parents used to alway say "I'll slap the light out of your ear"wink Which is also a common igbo threat lol. I was surprised that the two phrases were almost identical.

Ikengawo,

Many words in your language is borrowed from Bini, which in turn is a Yoruba tongue.

Outside of such dialect link, nothing else is common. Philosophy is completely opposite, as is the customs and social values. Linguistically and by extension, Igbo language is a sub-subYoruba dialect.

1 Like

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by gbanikiti(m): 9:59pm On Jun 16, 2013
IGBO-SON:
E be like say the guy don high this night! He must have drank to stupor. smh. grin

1 Like

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 10:03pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ke nke bu Bajiye
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Dibiachukwu: 10:11pm On Jun 16, 2013
This is the same kind of behaviour that led us into the Niggerian trap. Trying to find commonalities in the uncommon.
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Abagworo(m): 12:36am On Jun 17, 2013
Afam4eva: Ke nke bu Bajiye

Gbajie is to break in Igbo. We actually have similarities. "Duro" means "to stay", "wait" or "sit down" in many Igbo dialects. "Kini" is used as what in some Igbo dialects as well and those are shared with Yoruba. EJIma is IbEJI for twins. Eti is Nti for ear, Enu is Onu and also enu in many Igbo dialects for mouth. I've heard of Odibo for servant, Akpati for box, Omi for Mmiri/water, Ifa for afa/ritual wa for bia/come. Its too numerous to mention but during my youth service, I often mistook some Yoruba for Igbo if not for the deep tone in Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu: This is the same kind of behaviour that led us into the Niggerian trap. Trying to find commonalities in the uncommon.
abeg tell ur bros 'em.....abi se na by force

Abagworo:

Gbajie is to break in Igbo. We actually have similarities. "Duro" means "to stay", "wait" or "sit down" in many Igbo dialects. "Kini" is used as what in some Igbo dialects as well and those are shared with Yoruba. EJIma is IbEJI for twins. Eti is Nti for ear, Enu is Onu and also enu in many Igbo dialects for mouth. I've heard of Odibo for servant, Akpati for box, Omi for Mmiri/water, Ifa for afa/ritual wa for bia/come. Its too numerous to mention but during my youth service, I often mistook some Yoruba for Igbo if not for the deep tone in Yoruba.
SE NA BY FORCE ,haha?

for example

NA BY FORCE NI,haha?

1 Like

Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Ikengawo: 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2013
St_Black:
can u see confusion is not d same as conviction as i v sampled earlier.....thats y u & d other girl had to ask him wat language he meant by.

say 'break' in Igbo. smh. (Bajiye or Baje)
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 17, 2013
Ikengawo:

say 'break' in Igbo. smh. (Bajiye or Baje)
STFU mumu.break is "kan" in yoruba and not bajiye or wateva jargon u r flowing..
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:
i wonder o
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:
i wonder o,the guy s trying to twist igbo to sound like yoruba
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by odumchi: 3:42pm On Jun 18, 2013
"Lagos, o ga na agbaji" doesn't even make sense in Igbo. The proper way to translate "Eko o ni baje" would be "Lagos agaghi emebi" (Lagos shall not spoil).
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Ikengawo: 3:54pm On Jun 18, 2013
To be very honest, not everyone is going to be intelligent or well exposed enough for this conversation. You'll have to have a reasonable understanding of phonetics, history and allusion. These are three subjects that aren't taught or are taught poorly in Nigerians schools. I'm ok with anyone that doesn't understand gbajiye/baje/bajiye are similar, I just ask you say what you need and leave because it's not by force that you belong to every subject.
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by odumchi: 4:05pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ikengawo: To be very honest, not everyone is going to be intelligent or well exposed enough for this conversation. You'll have to have a reasonable understanding of phonetics, history and allusion. These are three subjects that aren't taught or are taught poorly in Nigerians schools. I'm ok with anyone that doesn't understand gbajiye/baje/bajiye are similar, I just ask you say what you need and leave because it's not by force that you belong to every subject.

The main point is that "gbajié" doesn't carry the same connotation as "baje" and neither do the two words sound the same. The 'j' in 'gbajié' is hard and sounds like the letter 'g' (gee). The 'j' in 'baje' is soft and sounds like 'zh' as in 'Zhou' (or an Owere man's pronounciation of 'zi' as in 'to show').

Furthermore, when saying that "the world has spoiled" in Igbo, we say "uwa emebiela" and not "uwa agbajiela". This means that "gbajie" is not the Igbo equivalent of "baje" and that the two words serve entirely different purposes.
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by ezeagu(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2013
I think it's less of a whole common origin than it is influence from a particular group that blended across the region. These discussions are too Yoruba-Igbo/Colonial borders focused, which gives it a tint of 'by force brotherhood'. There are probably more similarities between Yoruba-Fon, and Igbo-Efik, than Yoruba-Igbo, not to mention the Urhobo, Ishan, Bini, Igala, Isoko, and other micro-ethnicities and their inner divisions that are present between the Igbo and Yoruba.

Yoruba and Igbo themselves are arguably just a language group that exterior forces bonded together.

People make it seem like Yoruba and Igbo have always been in Nigeria interacting with only each other and without hinderance from those between them.
Re: Commonalities Between Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 23, 2013
gbanikiti: E be like say the guy don high this night! He must have drank to stupor. smh. grin
He is always high grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Important Things You Need To Know About The Chinese Culture / Benson Switch Vs Benson Brown / Popular Igbo And Yoruba Names With Funny Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.