Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,049 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Latest Football Transfer News - Sports (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Latest Football Transfer News (49267 Views)

Poll: What should a manager be particular about in a transfer deal?

Transfer Fee: 20% (44 votes)
History: 4% (10 votes)
Form: 22% (48 votes)
Future: 19% (42 votes)
Marketability: 5% (12 votes)
Vulnerability to Injury: 9% (21 votes)
Nationality: 0% (1 vote)
Willingness to join: 8% (19 votes)
Wages: 4% (10 votes)
Maturity: 4% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Latest Football Clubs Transfer Updates Across The Globe / Get Ur Updated Football Transfer News And Rumours Here!!! / Download Latest Football Highlights Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:02pm On Jul 23, 2007
ST ANDREWS, July 23 (Tour) - [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Eto%27o]Samuel Eto'o[/url] touched down with Barcelona's superstars in Scotland on Monday - and insisted he has never wanted to leave the Spanish giants.

The 26-year-old striker was linked with both Liverpool and AC Milan earlier this summer.

But Eto'o - who was speaking at St Andrews ahead of Barcelona's friendlies against Dundee United and Hearts this week - says he is going nowhere.

'There has only been speculation,' he pointed out.

'People have spoken about me and for me but I still have a contract with Barcelona and I'm really looking forward to playing with Barcelona next season.'

The former Real Madrid and Real Mallorca frontman added: 'All the interest makes me feel good and proud, but I have not thought about being transferred to another club.

'I'm happy at Barcelona. I've lived all my live in Spain and it's a difficult country to leave - I can't think of leaving Spain nowadays.

'I am very happy being at the best club in the world and with the best players in the world.

'I didn't feel like leaving even when it was a bad season for the club. I feel the same way now as I did when I first signed for the club.'

The £16.1million arrival of Thierry Henry from Arsenal this summer increases competition for places up front.

But rather than fear the extra competition from the France international, Eto'o is thrilled that the squad will be even stronger for the season ahead.

He said: 'Henry is adapting very well at the club, like the other new players.

'The sooner he adapts, the better it will be for the whole group.'

Despite the hype surrounding the 'Fantastic Four' of himself, Henry, Lionel Messi and Ronaldinho, Cameroon frontman Eto'o was keen to stress there will be quality throughout the entire team as Barca prepare for the challenges which lie ahead.

He said: 'Barcelona have a really good pool of players for the entire team, not just the forwards.

'We have to be happy having this great pool of players now, that's the most important thing.'

Real Madrid triumphed in the Primera Liga last term, and Barcelona also failed to deliver in the Champions League.

Eto'o admitted: 'It's going to be harder next season but it's good to know that because it will make us work even harder.

'Experience is very important and has taught us the things that we didn't do right last season.

'We all make mistakes in life and we learn from them. We need to avoid repeating the same mistakes and make sure we improve on the good points.'

A stricter code of conduct has been implemented at the Nou Camp to ensure a better chance of success next term, and it will be enforced in Scotland, with every player on his best behaviour.

Eto'o insists there will be no backlash from the dressing room regarding the new hard-line approach.

'Whatever the club decides we have to accept that,' he said.

'But we are adults, we are professionals and we take responsibility for our own actions.

'We are part of one of the best teams in the world, not only because we are good players but because of the way we are.

'No-one has to worry about how we are going to act in St Andrews - we are here to get ready for the new season.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by 9ja4eva: 3:56am On Jul 24, 2007
Freddie Lun from Arsenal to Westham
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by Mustay(m): 5:47am On Jul 24, 2007
AND FRED SAID ARSENAL IS DEAD WITHOUT HENRY.

HE HAS KUKU TOLD EM 2 SELL D CLUB 2 INVESTORS IF NTHEY WANT SUCCESS
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by debosky(m): 5:20pm On Jul 24, 2007
I love Freddie, but he's way past his prime, I wish him all the best at W/Ham.

those comments sound a little bitter at losing out on a starting place in the team
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 5:50pm On Jul 24, 2007
Liverpool boss [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Ben%C3%ADtez]Rafael Benitez[/url] says he does not understand why Manchester United are blocking Gabriel Heinze's move to Anfield.

Liverpool have met the £6.8m fee which would secure the Argentina defender's release - stated in a letter from United to Heinze's agent.

But with United refusing to sell to their north-west rivals, Benitez said: "I don't know what the problem is.

"I know what they said to the press but everyone knows they signed a document."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has made it clear that he does not want any of his top players to join his club's arch-rivals.

"Heinze is not going to Liverpool as far as I am concerned," Ferguson said on Monday.

"We are examining some of the statements coming from his agent and when the contact was first made, but at the moment we have nothing more to say.

"We are not happy with agent's conduct in the matter and we're examining that."

However, Benitez insists Liverpool, along with other major club in Europe, were made aware of Heinze's availability by United.

"A lot of clubs, in many different countries, knew what the situation was," said the Spaniard.

BBC Sport understands the letter to Heinze's agent does not preclude Liverpool from buying the 29-year-old, and the player could fight United to secure a switch to Anfield.

Heinze is keen to leave Old Trafford, and Juventus and Real Madrid are also monitoring his situation.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 6:01pm On Jul 24, 2007
Everton have completed the signing of Borussia Dortmund midfield man Steven Pienaar on a one-year loan deal after he was granted a work permit.

Pienaar, who has one international cap, joined Borussia from Ajax last summer when Tomas Rosicky moved to Arsenal.

However, the 25-year-old has struggled at the Bundesliga club and failed to find the net in 25 league appearances.

The South African star has been training with Everton at their pre-season camp in Los Angeles.

He said: "I am really excited to have joined a traditional club like Everton.

"It is always a good opportunity for the players to play in Europe and I am looking forward to making a return myself as I missed it last season."

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2007
MSI begin legal proceedings against west ham over Carlos Tevez affair.

Skysports News
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 6:14pm On Jul 24, 2007
MILAN, July 24 (Reuters) - Brazil playmaker [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kak%C3%A1]Kaka[/url] said on Tuesday he was committed to AC Milan and had never asked for a transfer to Spanish champions Real Madrid.

The European champions have spent most of the close season repelling Real's advances for 25-year-old Kaka, one of the best players in the world.

Milan said in June they were aware Kaka's father had met Madrid officials.

Kaka, who was rested from the Copa America at Milan's request, has been back in Brazil and had stayed silent on the matter until now.

'I have never demanded anything at Milan, I have never asked to renew my contract, to leave or to have a clause to rescind it like many have said,' Kaka told a news conference at Milan's training ground. 'There was a meeting with Real Madrid and Milan were the first to know about it.'

Milan President Silvio Berlusconi reaffirmed on Monday that Kaka would not be sold.

'The fans can stay calm, what president Berlusconi said yesterday is certain. I have a contract with Milan until 2011, the door for Real Madrid is closed and only Milan can reopen it if they decide to sell me,' Kaka said. 'I see myself as a symbol of Milan.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2007
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Gabriel Heinze owes to the club to stay at Manchester United.

Heinze is currently at the centre of a transfer tug-of-war between United and Premier League rivals Liverpool.

Liverpool are keen to sign the Argentina defender and have tabled a bid for the former Paris Saint Germain star.

United are adamant they will not sell Heinze to their bitter rivals even though Heinze's agent reputedly has a letter which gives the defender permission to leave Old Trafford for the fee that Liverpool have offered for the South American.

Liverpool have instructed their lawyers to pursue the move for Heinze, but Ferguson remains determined to stop the player making the switch to Anfield.

The Scot feels Heinze should show loyalty to United because of the way the club helped him recover from his serious knee injury two years ago.

"He is still our player and that is the most important thing," Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"He still has two-years left on his contract and I think we have stood by Gaby very well.

"He had his cruciate knee operation, we looked after him and we let him him do his rehabilitation in Spain which he wanted to do.

"We conducted ourselves in a way that suited Gaby perfectly and he was delighted the way we looked after him.

"I think if we take away the agent's role in this I don't think there is an awful lot wrong with Gaby's position at the club."

Ferguson also believes Heinze may have helped United's cause in their bid to sign Carlos Tevez by recommending the Premier League champions to the West Ham forward.

United remain hopeful of signing Tevez despite the move being held up because of a wrangle over his ownership rights between West Ham and the player's representatives.

Tevez is determined to join United and Ferguson believes Heinze may have persuaded his fellow Argentina to make the move to Old Trafford.

"I think the fact they have been in the Argentina team the last few weeks I am sure Gaby has told him how good a club Manchester United is, because there is no other thing you can say about Manchester United from his own experiences," added Ferguson.

"Maybe that in some way has helped Carlos Tevez to know he is coming to the right club."

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:17pm On Jul 25, 2007
Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has admitted Kieron Dyer could leave the club over 'family problems'.

The 28-year-old midfielder has been at the centre of speculation that he wants a move away from St James' Park after eight years for more than a week amid claims he is unhappy on Tyneside.

Allardyce revealed at the weekend he would hold talks with the England international in an effort to discover his feelings, and having done so, is now attempting to resolve the issue.

He said: 'At the moment, there's a problem from a family point of view and we have to try to see whether we can resolve that, and if we cannot, then that may well result in Kieron looking to leave the club for that reason and that reason alone.

'That's the discussion we have had. It's obviously disappointing for me, but it is one I understand.

'If somebody has got a problem they cannot resolve, then ultimately in the long run, it is better for the club and better for him if you can resolve that problem.

'If that's away from here, then so be it.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:36pm On Jul 25, 2007
Barcelona midfielder Deco has refused to end speculation surrounding his future with the Catalan giants.

The Portugal international came in for heavy criticism after Barca surrendered La Liga to rivals Real Madrid last season.

Rumours have abounded that the former Porto player could be squeezed out of the Nou Camp, with Newcastle United named as one possible destination - and he has been less than convincing when asked about speculation linking him with a move to the Barclays Premier League.

The 29-year-old, who is in Scotland with the Catalan side to play friendly matches against Dundee United and Hearts, looked pensive yesterday as he fielded several questions about his future.

He said: 'I've got a contract until 2010 and I'm very happy here.

'Whenever Barcelona don't want me they just have to tell me - but I have not heard anything.

'I just want to play football - that is the most important part of my life, apart from my children.'

Barcelona's cosmopolitan squad entertained locals at St Andrews as they went through their paces before tomorrow's fixture at Tannadice.

France star Eric Abidal expects the match against Craig Levein's men will be a dress rehearsal for the Euro 2008 qualifier against Scotland in Paris on September 12.

Left-back Abidal, 28, who joined Barcelona from Lyon in the summer for around £10million, predicts Scotland will defend for their lives when the crucial qualifier comes around.

The Scots upset the form book when they beat the World Cup runners-up 1-0 at Hampden Park last year, thanks to a Gary Caldwell goal.

Asked to consider the match against Scotland in two months' time, Abidal said: 'It is a chance for us to get revenge for our defeat at Hampden.

'We should be able to beat Scotland and ensure qualification - but every team chance has a chance to qualify.

'We do not focus on individuals; we focus on the team - and it is never that easy playing against Scottish teams.

'Scotland are a very defensive team and defend vigorously. They try to their best to stop other teams playing.

'What is important for France is to seize our chance when we have it.

'It is important that anything I learn from these games I pass on to my colleagues in the national side. But we will have to be combative.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:18pm On Jul 28, 2007
Argentine teenager [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ngel_Di_Mar%C3%ADa]Angel Di Maria[/url] is poised to join Benfica after claiming he was in talks to join Arsenal.
Rosario Central striker Di Maria is set to be part of a £4m double transfer package with team-mate Andre Diaz.

Di Maria, 19, who featured in Argentina's victorious Under-20 World Championship-winning team, will sign a five-year contract with Benfica.

Last week, he suggested that negotiations over a transfer to Arsenal were going well.

Arsenal have never confirmed an interest in Di Maria, whose double move with Diaz is subject to personal terms and medicals.

Di Maria is seen at the Estadio da Luz as a replacement for Portugal international Simao Sabrosa, who has completed a transfer to Atletico Madrid.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:26pm On Jul 28, 2007
Blackburn Rovers have signed striker Roque Santa Cruz from Bayern Munich.

The 25-year-old Paraguay international has agreed a four-year deal at Ewood Park after Rovers paid an undisclosed fee, believed to be about £3.5m.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes said: "He is a young player, an international with a good reputation."

"The good thing from our point of view is that his fitness levels are fine as he has been playing for Paraguay in the Copa America."

Santa Cruz had been pushed down the pecking order at Bayern following the summer arrivals of Miroslav Klose and Luca Toni.

During his time at Bayern, Santa Cruz won the Champions League, five Bundesliga titles, four German Cups and a World Club Cup winner's medal.

He scored 31 goals in 155 appearances and will bring the experience of 51 Champions League outings to Blackburn.

But he will find the competition at Blackburn stiff, with Benni McCarthy, Jason Roberts, Matt Derbyshire and new recruit Marco Rigters all vying for a first-team place.

Hughes admits he might be tempted to sell a striker following Santa Cruz's arrival at Ewood Park.

"Possibly that could happen but I am quite happy with the options I have," he stated.

"I'm looking to supplement the qualities of the strikers we have. You have to have depth and quality to cope with the demands of a long season."

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:37pm On Jul 28, 2007
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_T%C3%A9vez]Carlos Tevez's[/url] representative Kia Joorabchian has hinted that the striker's proposed move to Manchester United may be settled out of court.

Joorabchian's companies MSI and Just Sports Inc claim they own the economic rights to the 23-year-old.

Tevez's current side West Ham dispute this and Joorabchian's companies have issued the club with a High Court writ.

But Joorabchian told the Daily Star newspaper: "There is a possibility it may get resolved next week."

Tevez's transfer to the Premier League champions has stalled over who will be paid the £30m transfer fee - with Joorabchian's companies issued legal proceedings against the Hammers.

"I can confirm the companies have begun High Court proceedings against West Ham," said Teacher Stern Selby solicitor Graham Shear, representing the law firm representing MSI and Just Sports Inc.

The statement continued: "A High Court writ was served on the football club's solicitors.

"The Companies seek the court's intervention to compel West Ham to release the registration of Carlos Tevez in accordance with contracts entered into between the parties.

"We are asking the court to intervene so that Tevez can be registered to play with Manchester United as soon as possible.

"We will be making no further statement at this time."

West Ham said they would be consulting their lawyers over the writ.

Third-party ownership of football players is common in South America but was almost unheard of in England until Tevez and fellow Argentine Javier Mascherano joined West Ham in August 2006.

Mascherano has since moved to Liverpool.

Earlier, Fifa had recommended the Tevez dispute should go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Football Association and the Premier League had asked Fifa to rule on the matter.

But a Fifa statement read: "Fifa has recommended that West Ham and Carlos Tevez seek arbitration at CAS.

"Under the present circumstances this was deemed to be the best approach and in the interest of all parties.

"What is more, we also believe this to be the fastest way to solve this impasse."

Manchester United chief executive David Gill says his club just wants the situation to be resolved as quickly as possible.

"Clearly, this is a dispute between Tevez, the owners and West Ham," stated Gill.

"Hopefully, that can be solved relatively quickly and he can come to join us. I would have thought they have taken this decision in the belief that he can join us."

Tevez is registered as a West Ham player but Joorabchian claims he still owns the striker's economic rights and is therefore entitled to the transfer fee.

However, West Ham ripped up an agreement they had with Joorabchian - which broke Premier League rules - and they now claim any deal with United can only go ahead with their say-so.

The Premier League, which is also insisting that any fee must go to West Ham, met Fifa and the Football Association on Monday to discuss the issue.

The Premier League welcomed Fifa's decision.

"We are supportive of the recommendation that if all parties are in agreement the matter should be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport," said a Premier League spokesman.

West Ham also said they were happy for CAS to rule on the issue.

"We're happy for the matter to go to CAS if it is with the agreement of all parties," a West Ham statement said.

West Ham were fined £5.5m pounds in April for breaking Premier League rules over third-party ownership when they signed Tevez.

They were allowed to continue playing him after satisfying the Premier League that the third-party agreement with Joorabchian had been torn up.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:42pm On Jul 28, 2007
Birmingham City have been told Middlesbrough's Yakubu Aiyegbeni is well outside their transfer budget.

Blues have been linked with a move for the striker, who has been tipped to leave The Riverside this summer.

However, Yakubu's agent Barry Silkman believes Steve Bruce's side do not have the financial clout to agree a deal with Boro.

"I think Yak would be way out of their price range," Silkman is quoted in the Daily Mirror.

"Middlesbrough have already turned down £10million bids for him and Gareth Southgate doesn't want to lose him."

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by 9ja4eva: 7:54pm On Jul 28, 2007
Make Yakubu go correct club oh
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2007
Reports in Holland continue to suggest veteran striker Patrick Kluivert has been offered a trial by Derby County.

Although Rams boss Billy Davies is yet to confirm his interest, the newly-promoted side are believed to be in the frame.

Kluivert recently rejected the chance to train with Sheffield Wednesday, but the prospect of a Premier League return could appeal.

The former Holland international has experience in England's top-flight after spending the 2004/05 campaign with Newcastle.

The 31-year-old hit-man, who was released by PSV Eindhoven this summer, is believed to favour a move to MLS or the Middle East.

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2007
9ja4eva:

Make Yakubu go correct club oh
Hes better off in Boro than Birmingham city. I think he should just stay put in Boro except maybe mancity bids, can't see Pompey making a move for him that would have been a step in the right direction, ironic init, he moved from pompey a few years back to progress. Interests from the top four is out of the question.
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:14pm On Jul 28, 2007
ROME, July 27 (Reuters) - Romania defender Cristian Chivu said on Friday he will join Inter Milan after the Italian champions came to an agreement with AS Roma following weeks of talks.

Chivu, one of Serie A's top defenders last season when Roma finished second behind Inter, is set to move in a 15 million euro ($20.5 million) deal, according to media reports.

'I am going to Inter. It is a life choice,' he told a news conference at Roma's training ground. 'I would like to be remembered as a good lad. I have spent four marvellous years here, full of satisfaction.'

Inter had pulled out of negotiations earlier this month before an 18 million euro move to Real Madrid collapsed because of the 26-year-old's salary demands. Barcelona had also expressed an interest in the player.

Roberto Mancini's Inter finally went back in for the former Ajax player this week and have wrapped up a deal despite Chivu starting pre-season training with Roma.

Roma had already bought Brazil centre back Juan from Bayer Leverkusen to replace Chivu, who is expected to partner Italy's Marco Materazzi in the centre of Inter's defence.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2007
MADRID, July 27 (Reuters) - Portugal winger [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim%C3%A3o_Sabrosa]Simao Sabrosa[/url] said he hoped to help turn Atletico Madrid into one of the top three sides in Spain as he completed his move on a four-year contract from Benfica on Friday.

Benfica said the deal was worth 20 million euros ($27.3 million) with the Portuguese club also holding an option to take two Atletico players in the other direction.

'I chose a move to Atletico because they presented me with a very ambitious project,' Simao told a news conference at his presentation.

'My objective is to win things. I will work hard to do this, the club are signing good players and we should be in the top three in the league.'

The signing of Simao takes Atletico's close season spending over the 60 million euro-mark as they seek to improve on last season's seventh-placed finish in the Primera Liga.

The club sold top scorer Fernando Torres to Liverpool for 36 million euros last month and have moved quickly to reinvest the money in new recruits.

Along with Simao, Atletico have signed Uruguay striker Diego Forlan from Villarreal for 21 million euros, midfielder Raul Garcia from Osasuna for 13 million, Brazilian midfielder Cleber Santana from Santos for six million and Spain midfielder Luis Garcia from Liverpool for four million.

Simao joined Benfica from Barcelona in 2001 for a fee of around 13 million euros after two unsuccessful seasons with the Catalan side.

The 27-year-old became Benfica's leading player and club captain, and helped them win the Portuguese league title in 2005. He has won 55 caps for Portugal and was voted Portuguese Player of the Year last season.

He has not been included in Atletico's squad to face Romania's Gloria Bistrita in the home leg of their Intertoto Cup tie on Saturday. The Primera Liga side trail 2-1.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2007
Martin Petrov has admitted the reason he joined Manchester City was because of manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's reputation as a top coach.

The Bulgaria winger, 28, sealed a three-year deal at Eastlands following a £4.7million move from Atletico Madrid.

City won the race to secure his signature ahead of a number of European clubs.

He looked set at one stage to link up with international team-mate Dimitar Berbatov at Tottenham.

Petrov gave his reasons for his choice after being unveiled at a press conference at the club's Carrington training ground.

'The Premier League is the best league in the world and the best competition,' he said.

'But the main reason I have joined Manchester City is because of the manager. That's why I have made this decision.'

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh added on the club website: 'Unsurprisingly given the calibre of the player, there were a significant number of clubs competing for Martin's signature.

'Having Sven-Goran Eriksson as our manager proved to be a major factor in the player's decision to move here.'

Petrov is a regular for Bulgaria, with more than 60 caps to his name, and was allowed to leave the Vicente Calderon as Atletico line up Benfica winger Simao Sabrosa.

He is Eriksson's fourth signing since he took charge and follows £8.8million striker Rolando Bianchi, Gelson Fernandes and Geovanni to the club.

Former Barcelona and Benfica midfielder Geovanni was also presented to the media alongside Petrov and Eriksson said: 'I am sure a lot of clubs wanted both players.

'But the board here have backed me and they will do very well for us.

'Both of them bring a lot of experience to the squad as between them they have played a lot of international matches. They are also very good technically.

'It is important we do not just buy players who are 19, 20 and 21. You need to balance it up.'

Petrov has been compared to Bulgarian legend Hristo Stoichkov but Eriksson said: 'I think we should only look at what Martin does himself.

'He will have a lot of chances to show the supporters what he can do. I am quite confident he will do well.'

With Eriksson acting as his interpreter, Geovanni said: 'I am impressed by the facilities here and hopefully the team can have a good season.'

The Brazilian, who returned home to play for Cruzeiro last season, is set to make his debut for the club on Saturday against Charleroi in Belgium.

City struggled for goals in the last campaign and that is one area the former England coach has been quick to address. He wants to improve the line of supply to the strikers.

Eriksson said: 'We are working every day on the training pitch and want to play good football.

'Wingers are also important in my mind. You need players who can dribble and cross.

'It is nothing new. You want balls to come into the area.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:28pm On Jul 28, 2007
Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has pledged his future to the club amid transfer speculation.

The 22-year-old Nigeria international has been linked to Arsenal, with boss Arsene Wenger a known admirer of the player, and rumours escalated that he would quit Tyneside after it emerged that he has a £13million get-out clause in his contract.

But Martins, who scored in Thursday night's 4-1 friendly victory over Celtic at St James' Park, has insisted he will not be going anywhere this summer although he will face stiff competition for his place in the starting line-up from Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi, Andy Carroll and Albert Luque.

"I will keep my mouth shut. I am not going anywhere, I am still a Newcastle player," he told the Magpies' website.

"I am very, very happy here, so I am not going anywhere.

"I believe you need competition. We have many games to play, so everybody will have to play together."

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:51pm On Jul 30, 2007
Atletico Madrid have confirmed that they have completed an agreement to sign [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Antonio_Reyes]Jose Antonio Reyes[/url] from Arsenal.

The Spanish forward has made no secret of his desire to remain in his homeland, having spent last season on-loan at Real Madrid, but it is with their city rivals that he will pitch up next term.

Reyes has been in discussion with Atletico officials over the past few days and following successful negotiations, an accord has been struck between the two clubs.

The 23-year-old has signed a four-year deal with the capital club, having made it clear he has no desire to return to England, where he endured mixed fortunes since arriving in North London from Sevilla.

It is thought the deal is worth in the region of €12million (£8.1million), with Reyes to be paraded before the press on Tuesday morning.

Also on his out of Emirates Stadium is young defender Kerrea Gilbert, who has decided to join Southend on a six-month loan deal

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:54pm On Jul 30, 2007
Birmingham City have sealed the signing of Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Hossam Ghaly.

Blues boss Steve Bruce has been tracking Ghaly, along with fellow Egyptian and Spurs team-mate [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mido_%28footballer%29]Mido[/url], for a few weeks.

Ghaly moves to St Andrews for £3million, although the switch is subject to the former Feyenoord man obtaining a work permit.

The 25-year-old announced over the weekend he had agreed a deal with Birmingham, and he has now put pen-to-paper on a three-year contract.

"The signing of Hossam is an excellent acquisition," Bruce told the club's official website.

"With the loss of Stephen Clemence, he will play a vital role in the middle of the park for us this season.

"I was always very impressed with him whenever I watched him play for Spurs last season.

"He has all the credentials that we are looking for in a player, he is only 25, a very talented international who still has the hunger to succeed in the Premiership.

"As well as being technically gifted, Hossam can also stand up to the physical side of the game so he will give us that extra edge in midfield.

"We are delighted to have him on board."

Ghaly, who is generally a central midfielder but can also play at right-back, made 34 appearances in 18 months at Tottenham.

He becomes Bruce's eighth summer signing ahead of Birmingham's Premier League kick-off against Chelsea on 12th August.

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:03am On Jul 31, 2007
Chelsea have taken a major step forward in their bid to sign Alex by applying for a work permit.

The Brazilian arrived at Heathrow Airport on Sunday to discuss personal terms and was cleared to enter the country.

However, after a small delay, he opted to return home voluntarily - scotching suggestions that he had been barred from the UK.

The PSV Eindhoven defender is not yet a Chelsea player and is legally entitled to enter the country to undertake contract talks.

A statement issued by Chelsea said: "Alex was due to arrive into England yesterday to discuss personal terms.

"Chelsea Football Club are in the process of applying for a work permit for the player in line with normal football and employment procedure.

"At airport immigration there was a request to clarify Alex's current status. All of the paperwork for his entry was in order.

"After an initial delay, he was cleared to enter the country. He chose voluntarily to fly back but will return when necessary."

However, a Home Office spokesman, while not prepared to discuss individual cases, said: "We have a duty to ensure that the public are aware of, and have confidence in, the security in place at the border, which is for their protection.

"Visitors to the UK also need to be aware of the presence of immigration officers and that they will be subject to checks before being granted entry to this country."

Alex is now likely to undergo a hearing in the near future to assess whether or not he meets the criteria for a work permit.

Guidelines require that a player must have played for his country in at least 75 per cent of their competitive 'A' games in which he was available for selection, during the two years preceding the date of the application.

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:07am On Jul 31, 2007
Eidur Gudjohnsen's father and agent, Arnor, says the Barcelona ace would be interested in a move to West Ham.

West Ham have been strongly linked with a move to bring the former Chelsea and Bolton man back to England.

Gudjohnsen's future at Barcelona looks uncertain following the summer arrival of Thierry Henry.

The Icelandic international struggled to hold down a place in Frank Rijkaard's star-studded side last season and the signing of Henry pushes Gudjohnsen further down the pecking order at Camp Nou.

Gudjohnsen is thought to be weighing up his future at Barca and West Ham are believed to be lining up a move for the skilful forward.

Gudjohnsen senior says his son would welcome a move to Upton Park and that the player is weighing up his future in Barcelona.

"I have heard about the interest from West Ham, but there have been no talks as yet," Gudjohnsen Snr told skysports.com.

"It would be something Eidur would consider as there are some Icelanders there with the owners and all.

"If they are interested in Eidur I am sure they will contact me."

Gudjohnsen is currently recovering from a knee injury and the player's father says the 28-year-old will consider all options available to him.

"He is currently injured and he is focused on getting fit again, but he will consider all options open to him," added Gudjohnsen.

"Barcelona have always told him it is up to him what he wants to do and they will not stand in his way if he wants to go and they will be happy for him if he wants to stay.

"Eidur will not rush a decision on his future and we will evaluate every option we have."

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:13am On Jul 31, 2007
Skysports.com understands Arsenal are lining up a move for Chelsea's Lassana Diarra.

Diarra is believed to have informed Chelsea of his desire to leave Stamford Bridge and Arsenal are ready to offer him a move to Emirates Stadium.

The French international is believed to be unhappy with his lack of first-team action at Chelsea and he is well down the pecking order in Jose Mourinho's plans.

The 22-year-old is entering the final year of his contract and he is believed to have told Chelsea he will not be signing a new deal.

The news has alerted Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger who is a big fan of the young midfielder.

The two London rivals are understood to be in talks over a deal and the player is keen on securing a switch to North London as he searches for regular first-team football.

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:20am On Jul 31, 2007
Anthony Le Tallec is a reported target for Premier League clubs West Ham, Fulham and Birmingham.

The young French striker is back at Liverpool after a season on loan at Sochaux, but his future with The Reds is uncertain.

Despite having two years remaining on his contract at Anfield, Le Tallec is likely to leave Liverpool before the transfer window closes.

Le Tallec impressed at Sochaux and Spanish side Recreativo Huelva were thought to be keen on the 22-year-old.

However, their interest has now cooled, although according to L'Equipe three top-flight clubs in England are admirers.

West Ham, Fulham and Birmingham are all being linked with a bid for the talented Le Tallec, who spent the 2005/06 season with Sunderland.

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:25am On Jul 31, 2007
Sam Allardyce remains adamant in his view that Kieron Dyer will leave Newcastle, despite the midfielder's bright cameo in Sunday's 2-0 victory over Juventus.

The England international wants to move on from the North East club for personal reasons, in news that has reportedly alerted West Ham, Tottenham and Manchester City.

Dyer's introduction from the substitutes' bench in the second half caught the eye but Allardyce remains steadfast in his assessment of the situation.

"He played very well. But I don't think we can (keep him) for the reasons I gave on Thursday," said Allardyce.

"The only way I can see to resolve this is for Kieron to move closer to his family.

"Nobody has come in with the right money yet. Nobody has offered anything like the money we want.

"If they don't come in (with the right offer) then all I can do is sit down with Kieron and see if there's something else we can do.

"We used him for 45 minutes today because we were short of numbers."

While Dyer's days at St James' Park appear to be numbered, Albert Luque, previously an expensive flop, looks to have been handed a reprieve.

It looked almost certain that the Spanish forward would be shown the exit door, having failed to replicate anything like his best form since moving to the club from Deportivo La Coruna but under Allardyce, thus far, he has put in an impressive pre-season.

"Hopefully, if he can stay fit he could play a part."

Luque scored the game's opening goal from the penalty spot, before being replaced on the half hour mark, but Allardyce has been reassured the injury is not serious.

"The only negative thing today was Albert coming off. But he assures me it's just a tightening (of the muscle)," the former Bolton chief concluded

Skysports.com

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:34am On Jul 31, 2007
LISBON (AFP) - Freddy Adu, the most recognisable name in the Major League Soccer, was on Monday poised to sign a five year deal with Portuguese side Benfica.

The Ghana-born Adu, 18, was twice named an MLS All-Star - in 2004 and 2006 - helped DC United capture the 2004 MLS Cup during his rookie season.

According to press reports here Benfica have already paid out 1.5 million euros to recruit the United states international.

Benfica are also due to sign Argentina duo Angel Di Maria and Andres Diaz.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:40am On Jul 31, 2007
BERLIN, July 30 (Reuters) - Hamburg SV signed Dutch midfielder Romeo Castelen to a four-year contract from Feyenoord Rotterdam for a transfer fee of 3 million euros ($4.10 million), the Bundesliga club said on Monday.

Castelen, who signed for a reported 1.6 million euros per season, is the fourth Dutch player on the Hamburg squad after captain Rafael van der Vaart, Joris Mathijsen and Nigel de Jong.

'We're delighted that Romeo has joined us and we're sure that he's going to strengthen us,' said HSV sporting director Dietmar Beiersdorfer said on the club's wesbite.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 12:47am On Jul 31, 2007
Arjen Robben's potential move to Real Madrid could end up being an expensive deal for the Spanish champions, according to coach Bernd Schuster.

Madrid are understood to be ready to pay £20million to land the Holland international.

They have also drawn up a salary package, including image rights, which the Dutchman would accept, but Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho insists he wants the winger to remain at Stamford Bridge.

Robben has two years left on his contract and Chelsea will demand at least £25million if he continues to refuse to sign the new five-year deal he has been offered.

Schuster, who is also chasing Feyenoord wide man Royston Drenthe, admits that negotiations for Robben could turn out to be very difficult and involve a hefty fee.

The Madrid coach says he would be much happier if the deal had already been concluded but maintained that Madrid were prepared to go right to the wire in their chase for the Chelsea player.

He said: 'It could be expensive. It is necessary to go slowly. We need to be prepared to make signings until the final day of the window.

'I would be much happier if they were here. The signing of Robben is very important for us.'

Robben wants a six-figure contract at Chelsea but the offer on the table is for £90,000-a-week - considerably less than top earner John Terry's £135,000-a-week deal and the salaries of other leading stars Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack.

Chelsea are set to increase the pressure on him to make his long-term intentions clear before the start of the season but the Blues are willing to play a waiting game with Frank Lampard.

The England midfielder also has two years left on his contract and has refused the club's offer.

However, his agent, Steve Kutner, insists the stalemate will not affect his form.

Kutner said: 'If it goes all the way to the last day of Frank's current contract, one thing's certain, Frank will not waver in his commitment to Chelsea.'

Mourinho wants the England international to pledge his future to the club but the midfielder is still not entirely happy with the terms of the contract offered to him by the club.

It has increased speculation in Europe that Barcelona will test Chelsea's resolve yet further by making another attempt to land him.

However, Chelsea's veteran midfielder Claude Makelele is ready to sign for a further year after looking almost certain to leave during the summer.

The France international found it hard to hold down a first team place last season after a disagreement with Mourinho over the player's decision to continue turning out for his national side.

But Makelele's experience will be vital for Chelsea as they attempt to wrestle the title back from Manchester United and the midfielder appears to be on the brink of staying at Stamford Bridge for a little longer.

Chelsea's unbeaten pre-season run came to an end against Rangers on Saturday and they now travel to Denmark to play Brondby tomorrow night.

But winger Shaun Wright-Phillips insists the defeat at Ibrox has already been forgotten.

Wright-Phillips, who replaced Joe Cole at half-time in Saturday's 2-0 defeat, is keen to look forward to the challenge in Copenhagen.

He said: 'I just want to get it out of my head to be honest. That's it now, we're on to the next game and we just have to prepare and play well.

'I think every game we play is good preparation. We need to use it for gelling and fitness, and getting results to get our confidence up.'

Chelsea prepared for their final pre-season game before the FA Community Shield at Wembley with a training session that also included left-back Ashley Cole.

However, missing from the same session were John Terry (toe) and Robben (knee) along with Andriy Shevchenko, Paulo Ferreira, Makelele and Michael Essien.

ESPNsoccernet

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo And His Family Arrive In Saudi Arabia In Grand Style / Sunday Oliseh's Tweet Over Super Eagles Victory Against Cameroun / Neymar Returns To Barcelona, Meets Ex Team Mates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.