Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Global File Download Size Limits On A Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Global File Download Size Limits On A Network (2585 Views)

Do U Like To Be A Network Administrator / Help, I Want To Install A Network Printer / Can Virus Damage A Network Card (NIC)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2013
Hello folks.

I really could use some help.

The issue basically is that I have a couple of computers on a ring topography network getting internet service off a router.

Now the internet service is metered and the users on this network are murdering the data .

Now I already setup a block lists of blacklisted sites.

But I really need to find some way to limit file download size.

I'd appreciate any ideas in this regard. All iv found is proprietary software that will only make sense on a star topography network with a central server sharing data.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by LordReed(m): 2:34pm On Sep 14, 2013
4llerbuntu: Hello folks.

I really could use some help.

The issue basically is that I have a couple of computers on a ring topography network getting internet service off a router.

Now the internet service is metered and the users on this network are murdering the data .

Now I already setup a block lists of blacklisted sites.

But I really need to find some way to limit file download size.

I'd appreciate any ideas in this regard. All iv found is proprietary software that will only make sense on a star topography network with a central server sharing data.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Did you try a router that has bandwidth management?
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:12am On Sep 15, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Did you try a router that has bandwidth management?

yeah but will that not just limit speeds for everyone?
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by LordReed(m): 9:18am On Sep 15, 2013
4llerbuntu:

yeah but will that not just limit speeds for everyone?

I think some router devices can also limit download amount but even if it is just speed limit it will affect how much they can download per time. If for instance you limit speed to 50kbps a 100mb file will take at least a whole day (by calculation about 46hrs). When they see that they can't download lots at once they'll ease up on it.
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by bigboa: 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
What kind of router are you using? Is it a basic adsl type (linksys, tp-link, dlink) or an enterprise solution (cisco, juniper)? If its the first, then as Lord Reed suggested, you have to police traffic by imposing bandwidth limits. You could assign sticky ip addresses to the mac addresses and then give each user different data caps using the router. Desktop apps like cc proxy tend to have better flexibility though. If you're using an enterprise router though, this should be no problem as you can create access lists to rate limit the popular ports/services.
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by Leopantro: 6:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
about two years ago I came across a YouTube video about a usb router. you plug it into a system and it activates a hotspot. it also comes with access control I.e it can generate log-in passwords for each individual client, set a data limit or a time period for individual clients, perform redirects away from some websites and is a small as a usb modem.

The problem is, I can't remember the name or the company that made it. I have been searching youtube and google for that product. does anyone have an idea about it. It's black and small.
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by henryskywalker2003(m): 10:14am On Sep 17, 2013
Sorry, couldn't help but notice. But did you just say a RING network? Does anyone still run such a topology?
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by bigboa: 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2013
@henry: think he just means that there is no application layer gateway on the network (I.e. star) rather than an actual ibm token ring network...
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by bigboa: 12:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
@Leo: try uploading openwrt or dd-wrt firmware on a d-link, tp-link or linksys router and that should do the trick. Heck, you could even go cloud by plugging a 500gb to the thing and serving files from hfs although that's a bit tricky. wink
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by Leopantro: 1:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
bigboa: @Leo: try uploading openwrt or dd-wrt firmware on a d-link, tp-link or linksys router and that should do the trick. Heck, you could even go cloud by plugging a 500gb to the thing and serving files from hfs although that's a bit tricky. wink

interesting. I think I would look into that as a hobby. can you recommend a specific router and the cost? I'm interested in routers that have sim card module capabilities. what is range of such routers and can it be extended without a repeater?
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:42am On Sep 18, 2013
Leopantro:

interesting. I think I would look into that as a hobby. can you recommend a specific router and the cost? I'm interested in routers that have sim card module capabilities. what is range of such routers and can it be extended without a repeater?

those are usually quite wack tho..... i own one. Big Pond model...

range is average to poor. about the repeater, it should work...
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:42am On Sep 18, 2013
hey thanks guys.... not checked here a while.

Lord_Reed:

I think some router devices can also limit download amount but even if it is just speed limit it will affect how much they can download per time. If for instance you limit speed to 50kbps a 100mb file will take at least a whole day (by calculation about 46hrs). When they see that they can't download lots at once they'll ease up on it.

this one does not. thought about this a bit but i often have to upload large pdfs and download large email attachments. its quite inconvenient to have to adjust the router every single time....

may be my eventual decision tho

bigboa: What kind of router are you using? Is it a basic adsl type (linksys, tp-link, dlink)

TP-Link. I already assigned ips to the macs. but apparently the firmware does not have the ability to stick data caps, else this would have been very straight forward. Policing manually lasted a couple of days... its not just practical

bigboa: @henry: think he just means that there is no application layer gateway on the network (I.e. star) rather than an actual ibm token ring network...
exactly.....

its not a IT environment per se.......... regular office use, mostly emails and docs.... guess the guys who did it just didn't care

sadly all these would not have been an issue if DD-Wrt or Tomato was supported the router model....

anyhoos. thanks guys
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by LordReed(m): 2:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
4llerbuntu: hey thanks guys.... not checked here a while.

this one does not. thought about this a bit but i often have to upload large pdfs and download large email attachments. its quite inconvenient to have to adjust the router every single time....

may be my eventual decision tho

Implement the bandwidth limits on a group or individual basis. Those that require high throughput can be given more bandwidth while keeping the others on lower limits, you don't have to keep changing the limits. You could even do a time dependent policy if you want.
Re: Global File Download Size Limits On A Network by bigboa: 4:40pm On Sep 18, 2013
@4llerB: You could consider changing your router altogether... Chert Computers at Funmilayo Okikiolu st (off Toyin) have an amazing netgear router/nas combo N900 that comes with 1Tb, user accounts, web file sharing out the box, dlna/upnp and definitely a usb port. All for 24k or thereabouts. Stumbled on their site recently and I'm most def getting one as its possibilities are mouthwatering...
@Leo: No probs guv. Dd-wrt and openwrt support a lot of tp-link and d-link rtrs. I also think tp-link have some sim card routers... the usb option works well for me though. I love to do lan stuff though cos you can't really rely on any isp in 9ja for now imo

(1) (Reply)

Spectranet Is Cheating Its Customers - Data Draining Fast / AC Power Adapter Turns Off When Plugged Into The Laptop / [sold]Acer Aspire E5 Signature Edition | I5 7th Gen | 2gb Nvidia(940mx) - 160k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.