Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term (3004 Views)

Festus Odimegwu- Ex NPC Chairman Endorses General Buhari / Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) / Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by 4Play(m): 9:15pm On May 19, 2006
The M.D OF Nigerian Breweries Festus Odimegwu was one of the most vocal supporters of Presidents Obasanjo's attempt to extend his stay in power.He even proclaimed at one point that he will die for Obasanjo.Nigerians can take revenge on such people by hitting them where it hurts-in their pockets
We should boycott all Nigeria Breweries product untill ODIMEGWU loses his position.This will be our own little way of hurting those brigands who seek to profiteer from the sufferings of Nigerians and will send a clear message to like minded people.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by DaHitler(m): 9:29pm On May 19, 2006
Thats an excellent idea! Lets kill off what little Nigerian industry that is still in existence in the name of striking against the third term. undecided

And many sensible people (my self included) supported the 3rd term. Do no listen to the unwashed illiterates that complain when progress is actually being made.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by 4Play(m): 9:36pm On May 19, 2006
Nigerian Breweries is not the only local industry we have.We can patronise other Breweries operating in Nigeria.It is more important to stop politicians profiteering from the country than helping a subsidiary of Heineken.
The idea that the future of Nigeria will be better only if Obasanjo remains in power is pathetic.The third term project would have caused more pain in terms of political instability than the country can bear
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by Seun(m): 10:58pm On May 19, 2006
You can't possibly raise enough awareness by this campaign to make even a dent in their profits. Something like the third term campaign is perfectly legitimate in a democratic state, apart from the bribery aspect. If this man you want to "get" has been involved in the offering of huge sums of money to senators then he can be charged for that.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by GL(f): 12:40am On May 20, 2006
Odimegwu had every right to express his support for the 3rd term, just as the NB shareholders had the right to express their anger over his support for the 3rd term. I really dont see why one's job should prevent him from expressing his views on national/political issues, but maybe that's their policy. From what I hear, the company has done very well under his leadership, I doubt that they would want to lay him off just for supporting d 3rd term, which is now moot anyway. Plus, NB is the most quoted (or whatever it is called) company on the stock exchange. Boycott their goods, and the company (and so many Nigerians) would lose money. Odimegwu may be sacked, but I doubt that he doesnt have other investments elsewhere. That's why the boycott cannot work.

In a democratic setting, I dont think someone should be punished for expressing his views, no matter whatever they are, on national issues. As Seun said, if he bribed senators then he can be charged with that.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by Abeem(m): 8:00am On May 21, 2006
GL,
Your views was in agreement with that expressed by Idowu Sobowale of Vanguard Newspapers in his article of Sunday May 21, 2006.  See http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/columns/franklyspeaking/fs21052006.html for more on the subject matter.
Much as I agree that Odimegwu can say whatever he likes in the spirit of freedom of speech, but as the arrow head of his company, he has the responsibility to align himself with what is best for the consumers of his company products.  There is nothing wrong in expressing your personal views because that is what democracy stands for, but mixing business with this type of dirty politics is not the way to go. In advanced democracies, the company will have long met the disapproval of their consumers in a free fall of the price of their shares in the stock market.
There are more civilized ways of pursuing what he believes in without jeopardizing his business interest: He can do that through the auspices of a professional lobbiyist or preferably do it through a coalition of business organizations like this one: http://www.businessroundtable.org/ .
No doubt the private sector can and do influence the pubic sector in many of their policies, but,  I do not see it as a sound business practice for a corporate executive to spearhead the campaign for the political extension of the mandate of a government by an unfair, crooked and unscrupulous method.  He would not have taken this gamble if he were to be the CEO of a company in advanced democracies. Because doing so might hurt his company and by extension, himself (which is the goal of those calling for the boycott of Nigerian Breweries products) and others who are depedent on the company for their economic survival.  I do know for a fact that many of the patrons of the company are common folks who are not in support of the selfish proposal that was the third term plot.

1 Like

Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by 4Play(m): 2:17pm On May 21, 2006
I concede that Mr Odimegwu has the freedom to express his opinion as he sees fit.That is not in question.However he did not stop at that.He also spent the company's money to contribute to the effort to bribe legislators to support the third term campaign.

Why should Nigerians spend money on the products of a company,which company will then use part of the money to finance efforts to force on us a constituitional ammedment that will turn our country into a banana republic.We are in effect indirectly financing our own subjugation.

Also Mr Odimegwu's actions are an abuse of his office and are actually illegal by misusing company resources for politcal machinations that involve bribery and corruption.

Our country has no chance in hell of ever developing if all we do is sit on our backside,complain and do nothing.We can take some token actions that signify our displeasure at how the country is being run and serve as a deterrent to others.

I recognise that because of the failure of third term effort people are prepared to forgive and forget but we should not be so forgiving.We should show the same reslience that politicians show in embezzling money.

Little acts like this won't cost us a thing and might even spare us from liver damage.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by twinstaiye(m): 8:04pm On May 21, 2006
Go ahead and starve urself of odimegwu's product, so that lots of workers under him will end up being fired. Also, punish all d pro 3rd term senators. So how do you punish me too, because am still in support of 3rd term. No regrets
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by GL(f): 12:28am On May 22, 2006
4play, the shareholders should, and probably would, sack him if he is found guilty of bribing with NB money. But for now, that's just a speculation; ppl say bribes were given and since he's chairman of such a big company it's natural to suspect he used company money. I dont know if that came up in the shareholders meeting, but their main complain was that he got involved in the whole 3rd term thing.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by twinstaiye(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2006
And what will happen to anti third terms senators too, were they not also bribed by Atiku, IBB and co, or just because majority are anti 3rd term, we want to believe they are not bribed. Or suddenly our Senators are now a saint who can now vote according to their conscience. From grapevine, I understand the anti third term were bribed with so much money. So should we ask Atiku to resign too, because there were speculations that he bribed the anti third term senators too.? Speculative topic if you will ask me. I guess someone wants Odimegwu's job.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by edatika(m): 4:08pm On May 26, 2006
now that Odimegwu is down,
what next?
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by twinstaiye(m): 5:11pm On May 26, 2006
He will get another job, the guy is a goal getter, it is Nigerian Breweries who will lose his services, or have you people forget how the man turn the fortune of the breweries. Perhaps as we speak, the guy is on his way to another juicy and plum job.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by otokx(m): 2:08pm On May 29, 2006
i like the way Nigerian Breweries dumped him.
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by 4Play(m): 4:22pm On May 29, 2006
I don't think he has been dumped-www.tribune.com.ng/25052006/news/news5.html shit,he has
Re: Boycott Nigerian Breweries: Festus Odimegwu And 3rd Term by phoenix90(m): 3:47am On Jul 06, 2018
Wow you guys have been changing the course of history for awhile now on this platform. Am quite impressed.

(1) (Reply)

f / Say Your Prayer Towards GEJ's Presidency / Governor Orji, Son, On War Path- Like Father Like Wayward Son Chinedu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.