Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:16 AM

Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government (25639 Views)

Throw Back Picture Of Odimegwu Ojukwu And Wife Stella / Festus Odimegwu- Ex NPC Chairman Endorses General Buhari / Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by Maxymilliano(m): 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
Festus Odimegwu, The Chairman of The National Population Commission has been suspended by the Federal Government for mismanagement, reckless utterances and embarrassing the Government

Details to come ...

http://leadership.ng/breakingnews/270813/festus-odimegwu-chairman-national-population-commission-has-been-suspended

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by AustineE1: 1:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
...i pray and hope that Nigeria wouldnt miss this opportunity of getting the census figures right!Agents of retrogression are at it again,those who are bent on Nigeria living in perpetual darkness are at it again....adding ethnicity and religion in our census data,is now a reckless statement or mentioning the obvious, that all past census were manipulated!
People of intergrity hardly survives in this malformed entity called Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by XereX: 1:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
GOOD ONE!
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by abu12: 1:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
He talk 2much, Shine shine bobo at work, imaging.
Why would mohammed Inuwa say some frivolous allegation without evidence and festus odimagwu will believe him(mohammed) to the extend he wish to kiss mohammed.
Is he a gay or his drunk for him to react on hearsay like that?

OBASANJO ERA CENSUS COOKED UP

Chairman of the National Population Commission Mr. Festus Odimegwu stepped up his campaign to discredit previous censuses yesterday, saying the 2006 census figures were mostly cooked up.

Mr. Odimegwu, who was managing director of the Nigerian Breweries at the time, said officials forged figures for states and local governments in the census, which held during the regime of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Since his assumption of office, the population chief has waged a strident campaign to question the veracity of past census figures, once saying no previous census had been credible.

Speaking at a news conference in Abuja yesterday, he said: "There was no census. The governor of Niger wrote, that they were waiting for enumerators, they didn't come, people left, that is why we have so many cases in the tribunal."

He added that "mind you population forgery is done everywhere, is done in every states, every locality, every region, it's not restricted in any particular region. It's done everywhere because politicians want to manipulate it because they want to use it during politics."

Odimegwu said during a review of the 2006 census in Minna, Niger State, he heard from an official named Inuwa Mohammed of how money was used to influence the process.

"Mohammed stood up and told the whole commissioners, all the former directors and new directors that were there for the meeting, how they shared 3 million Pounds and N90 million in a hotel room. The money of hiring and training of enumerators for the census, that there was no census," he said.

"Somebody called me and said, 'chairman you must hear this.' I said put Mohammed on the phone and
I said 'Mohammed I love you, I wished all Nigerians are like you, you are the type of person if you are near me, I would have kissed you.' And I appointed him my SA in charge of anti-corruption in the NPC."
Odimegwu said because of his belief that the 2006 census was flawed, he had since asked the commission's lawyers to stop defending cases filed by states and local governments in court challenging the results.

He gave an example of the instance when then-governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu, disputed the figures for the state. He said Tinubu "conducted his census in Lagos and got 17.2 million people instead of (population commission chairman Samuila) Makama's 9 million. We have so many issues against the commission. I have asked the lawyer to stop defending it because what the people are saying is truth; we have never done a census."

5 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by omonnakoda: 1:30pm On Aug 27, 2013
Always a shame when people in leadership and sensitive positions talk recklessly.
Many of us in the South remain suspicious of the census figures but there is a sensible way and a foolish way to do thins.Odimegi has chosen the foolish way

12 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by kokoA(m): 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2013
Same odumegwu that was incharge of alcohol in Naija?! Who gave him that sensitive position sef?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by XereX: 1:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
Austine.E:
...i pray and hope that Nigeria wouldnt miss this opportunity of getting the census figures right!Agents of retrogression are at it again,those who are bent on Nigeria living in perpetual darkness are at it again....adding ethnicity and religion in our census data,is now a reckless statement or mentioning the obvious, that all past census were manipulated!
People of intergrity hardly survives in this malformed entity called Nigeria.

What is darkness in sacking a loud mouthed, drunken, FOOLISH, useless idiota spoiling the name of the government at any given opportunity? That idiota is embarrassment to Jonathan's administration and must leave before he cause real havoc.

It was actually a mistake to appoint a man that is only good at brewing beer to head a very sensitive position like NPC.

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
WHAT!!! Power pass power, some novice was shouting hell and blood here that nobody can touch this guy, if you think gej care about you, then you are mistakenly lost. The dude does not give a DAMN especially when 2015 is concerned #ask soludu and uba

4 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by owolabifunke14(f): 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sacked or suspended? North controls power indeed. Just one gov talk gej obeyed muhehehehe.

4 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by DesChyko1(m): 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by XereX: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso on Friday
described the appointment of the chairman of the
National Population Commission (NPC), Mr. Festus
Odimegwu Odimegwu as a big mistake, saying if the
former Nigeria Brewery boss was not a drunk, he
would not so terribly ill of the 2006 census.

Kwanwkaso, who said this while addressing State
House correspondents after he met with President
Goodluck Jonathan at the presidential villa, wondered
why someone who had only alcohol as credentials
throughout his career should be appointment to head
a sensitive government commission like the NPC in the
first place.

If it were not a colossal mistake, the governor added,
all Odimegwu would have done was to quietly correct
any wrong by his predecessor rather than condemning
it in the public.

He said, "We are not happy about that appointment
and think that it was a mistake. Festus shouldn't be
there in the first place. Why; because, you see,
unfortunately, somebody read his CV. He had only one
thing in the alcohol industry, all his life. And my guess
is that he's taking a lot of his products and that is why
we feel that his appointment is a mistake because he
cannot be the chairman of NPC and at the same time
be attacking what his predecessor had done.

"Even if it was wrong, he now has the good
opportunity to correct it, but instead of doing that, he
has been running around to discredit the 2006 census."
Recounting the first time he came across Odimegwu,
Kwankwaso said, "I just met that man when I was
Minister of Defence, we had a military occasion in the
East and just when we were about to finish, protocol
came and told me that President Obasanjo had another
thing to do, and I followed him and just went there
and saw a big brewery.

"And they said he was the head but the way he was
talking then, I knew immediately after the
appointment that there was a mistake there."

Barely 3 days after Kwankwaso demanded for his removal.

http://leadership.ng/news/230813/kwankwaso-wants-population-commission-chairman-sacked

3 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by citizenY(m): 1:50pm On Aug 27, 2013
Na wao....power pass power....GEJ can sack any guy on the altar of 2012
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by donguutti: 1:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
I guess some of us(we igbos) should learn to keep quiet and get the job done.This loudmouth has just ruined our chances of correcting the mistake of the british.A few minutes of noise have ruined what would have benefited our grandchildren.

Even the niger delta boiz have stopped ranting and are now stockpiling "incase of incasity".even sanusi lamido has kept quiet and continued his good work of screwing us.You dont threaten someone's lifeblood and expect to go free.As gentle as a dove and as wise as a serpent.

Please do remember to bring back some crates of gulder on ur way back from Abuja.

18 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by Maxymilliano(m): 1:58pm On Aug 27, 2013
''No one is more hated than the one who says the truth'' - Socrates ...

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by omonnakoda: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2013
Remember the saying "If you wanna shoot shoot don't talk" Odewigi talk too much
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by kufre2010(m): 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
What will you expect from somebody who headed Nigeria brewery
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by FreeGlobe(f): 2:19pm On Aug 27, 2013
owolabifunke14: Sacked or suspended? North controls power indeed. Just one gov talk gej obeyed muhehehehe.
my sis, GEJ is an embarrassment, while he is pummeling Amaechi in Rivers, he is appeasing a clueless governor just to get him on board for 2015. What an embarrassment. GEJ may not get 2015 afterall. If he loses igbo support he has lost everything

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by solomon111(m): 2:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
Obiagelli: WHAT!!! Power pass power, some novice was shouting hell and blood here that nobody can touch this guy, if you think gej care about you, then you are mistakenly lost. The dude does not give a DAMN especially when 2015 is concerned #ask soludu and uba
Abeg shut up.
So GEJ does not care about him because he was fired for making inflamatory and ethnically-inciting statements?
You must be a stark moronn.
I am sure he would been allowed to continue running his mouth under an APC govt just like bisi akande,el-rufai and co are doing.

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nonsense! The President of Nigeria is the president of every part of Nigeria, including the north and Kano State.

When a critical stake holder such as the governor of Kano State, or any other governor raises concerns about the attitude of federal official, it is the responsibility of the president of Nigeria and the boss of the appointee to listen and ascertain the veracity of such claim. It is not out of place for the president to be embarrassed by reckless comments of a federal official.

The NPC is a sensitive organisation just like INEC and its leadership should atleast put up a front of fairness and be careful with words. It is based on the figures generated by the NPC that very sensitive issue such as national revenue is disbursed.

I'm sure if the INEC chairman makes some reckless comments today, comments that seems to suggest bias against APC, you'll be the first to call for his head.

The NPC chairman failed to rise up to very sensitive position he was occupying. Even as bad as Iwu INEC was, the Prof then always try to say the right things.

We all know the previous census figures were fraudulent but the new Chief of NPC was not appointed to lament or blast previous administrations. He was appointed to do a credible census.

Anyway, I hope he'll later be recalled. Suspension means there's still chance he maybe recalled. It is different from a sack. The only minister that was suspended sometime ago by GEJ was later recalled. But I hope many can learn from his experience

6 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by solomon111(m): 2:24pm On Aug 27, 2013
FreeGlobe:
my sis, GEJ is an embarrassment, while he is pummeling Amaechi in Rivers, he is appeasing a clueless governor just to get him on board for 2015. What an embarrassment. GEJ may not get 2015 afterall. If he loses igbo support he has lost everything
That odimegwu of a guy is a slowpoke.
There are better ways to go about sensitive issues like this without revealing your end-game.
GEJ had no choice but to cut him loose.
Afterall,he is president of the entire nation and not just the SE.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by solomon111(m): 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Nonsense! The President of Nigeria is the president of every part of Nigeria, including the north and Kano State.

When a critical stake holder such as the governor of Kano State, or any other governor raises concerns about the attitude of federal official, it is the responsibility of the president of Nigeria and the boss of the appointee to listen and ascertain the veracity of such claim. It is not out of place for the president to be embarrassed by reckless comments of a federal official.

The NPC is a sensitive organisation just like INEC and its leadership should atleast put up a front of fairness and be careful with words. It is based on the figures generated by the NPC that very sensitive issue such as national revenue is disbursed.

I'm sure if the INEC chairman makes some reckless comments today, comments that seems to suggest bias against APC, you'll be the first to call for his head.

The NPC chairman failed to rise up to very sensitive position he was occupying. Even as bad as Iwu INEC was, the Prof then always try to say the right things.

We all know the previous census figures were fraudulent but the new Chief of NPC was not appointed to lament or blast previous administrations. He was appointed to do a credible census.

Anyway, I hope he'll later be recalled. Suspension means there's still chance he maybe recalled. It is different from a sack. The only minister that was suspended sometime ago by GEJ was later recalled. But I hope many can learn from his experience
+1000.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by omonnakoda: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

In this case he will not be recalled.He appears to be biassed and any census he conducts will not be credible.Sad but true.This is what we call a soft landing.His goose is cooked

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by naptu2: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2013
I remember his comments during the "3rd term campaign". It's believed that those comments cost him his job at Nigerian Breweries. I thought he would have learnt from that experience.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by XereX: 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

STOP LYING!?

Why is it taking eternity for Jonathan to remove Nyesom Wike and Rivers State commissioner of police? Abi amaechi no be governor or stake holder?

Though, the festus guy is reckless and loudmouthed but the northerners call the shots.

11 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by FreeGlobe(f): 2:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
solomon111: That odimegwu of a guy is a slowpoke.
There are better ways to go about sensitive issues like this without revealing your end-game.
GEJ had no choice but to cut him loose.
Afterall,he is president of the entire nation and not just the SE.
You are a freaking hypocrite. why couldn't he be cautioned or made to apologize. FG officials have been saying and doing worse in Rivers and GEJ has remained silent , in any case why is GEJ only suppended him after a northern gov made the recommendation to sack him. You can see how desperate he is for 2015

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by buoye1(m): 2:35pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hmmm.M.................Hear more talk less

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government by Garrithe1st: 2:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
XereX:

STOP LYING!?

Why is it taking eternity for Jonathan to remove Nyesom Wike and Rivers State commission of police? Abi amaechi no be governor or stake holder?

Though, the festus guy is reckless and loudmouthed but the northerners calls the shot.

Kwankwaso sneezed and GEJ caught cold...

Tell me who the boss is....

I pity those who continue to disparage Northerners, come 2015 you'll know that SS/SE isn't enough to win a Presidential election...

grin grin

grin grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okorocha Has Abandoned Imo For His Son-in-law, He Should Resign – Onuegbu / Buhari Dey GO! Atiku Dey COME! - PDP Supporters Chanting In Ibadan(video) / Nigerians Head AFDB, OPEC, WTO And Other International Organizations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.