Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Windows XP SP3 Crashes Some Pcs - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows XP SP3 Crashes Some Pcs (935 Views)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Windows XP SP3 Crashes Some Pcs by TmeD0(m): 3:59pm On May 09, 2008
If anyone is planning on installing Service Pack 3 on Windows XP, you might want to read this article if you have an HP (Hewlett Packard) with an AMD processor or just a PC with an AMD processor before you upgrade.  Ok, for those of us that do not like reading lenghty articles, I'll summarize it without being technical.  What seem to be causing the problem is the fact that HP deploy the same Operating System (OS) image that an intel-based computer has to an AMD-based computer.  These two processors use different system configution drivers but until the release of SP3, the AMD-based computers with the intel-based computers' .sys drivers work fine.  However, after the service pack installation's first reboot, the system goes into an endless reboot loop.  And if for some reason you've already upgraded and are having the problem encountered by most people that have already upgraded, check out Jesper's blog for some possible fixes. 

Thank God I haven't installed it on my desktop that's an AMD-based PC (though I built it) because I would have been scratching my head over the weekend because I was going to retro Vista back to XP.  What's even worse is that you won't be able to access system restore even if you create a restore point before installing SP3, now that would really suck!
Re: Windows XP SP3 Crashes Some Pcs by dragnet: 5:43pm On May 09, 2008
but intel based are safe ryt??
Re: Windows XP SP3 Crashes Some Pcs by TmeD0(m): 6:38pm On May 09, 2008
dragnet:

but intel based are safe ryt??
So far, yes.  I installed SP3 on my notebook two days ago, which is an Intel Core2 Duo processor.  It seem to be working fine so far.  Also, I noticed Windows Explorer hasn't crashed since the install cause it's been crashing a lot lately prior to SP3.  Like I stated, the problem seem to be peculiar to HP AMD-based PCs.  Though some users mentioned it happening on some of their Intel PCs but those are probably isolated cases.  I would create a restore point, backup important data before trying to install SP3 (that's what I did) cause you never know. Peace!

(1) (Reply)

Downloading Ngage-cool Ware? / You Have Any Program You Enjoyed You Need It Registered In Full Version ? / Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.