Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Know Your Car Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Know Your Car Oil (1238 Views)

My Car Oil Shorten Every Minutes / How To Change Your Car Oil / Effect Of Changing Car Oil Product To Another Product (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Know Your Car Oil by Gabrinoz: 8:08am On Jun 22, 2013
Types of Motor Oil
Motor oil can be segmented into four basic varieties—synthetic oil, synthetic blends, high mileage oil and conventional oil.

Synthetic motor oil is a laboratory synthesis of precisely controlled ingredients created by oil engineers, scientists and chemists. When combined with a high-performance additive package, this results in an oil with the highest levels of lubrication and engine protection, generally offering better protection at startup, better cleansing qualities, enhanced durability and better protection against heat buildup.

Synthetic blend motor oils use a mixture of synthetic and conventional base oils for added resistance to oxidation (compared to conventional oil) and to provide excellent low-temperature properties and are recommended for cars, trucks, vans and SUVs that regularly carry heavy loads, tow trailers and/or operate frequently at high RPMs.

High-mileage motor oil is specially blended for older vehicles, or vehicles with higher mileage. Typically, 75,000 miles (120,000 kilometers) is the figure used regarding high mileage oil. Some high mileage, high-performance cars, however, will be better served by continuing to use a synthetic motor oil. That said, a special high mileage motor oil blend, with its unique additives and viscosity, helps reduce oil burn-off, helps in sealing oil leaks and helps improve combustion chamber sealing to help restore engine compression. It all adds up to enhanced performance in older engines.

Conventional motor oil is what its name implies—it uses base oils enhanced in the blending process with chemical additives to help meet the manufacturer's desired levels of heat tolerance, breakdown resistance and viscosity (viscosity simply being a technical term for the thickness and fluidity of the oil). Conventional motor oil can be had in a range of viscosity grades and quality levels, from adequate to an extensively designed, high-quality lubricant. Conventional motor oil is recommended for drivers with low-mileage, late-model cars whose driving habits can be described as routine—commuting, running errands, vacation driving at relaxed cruising speeds. Today more and more engines require synthetic oil, so be sure to check your owner’s manual to make sure you don’t invite avoidable engine problems or void your warranty.

OIL GRADE DESIGNATIONS
Motor oils use a rating system developed by SAE, which is the Society of Automotive Engineers, to classify oil by viscosity. We’re all used to seeing designations like SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30, so let’s talk about what they really mean.

For multi-grade viscosity oils, the cold-temperature viscosity is labeled with a “W,” which stands for “winter.” Thus, in an SAE 10W-30 oil, the “10” is the cold-temperature viscosity rating, and the “30” is the high-temperature viscosity rating. This combination provides an oil that flows well at low temperatures, but still protects the engine at high temperatures.

For comparison’s sake, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 0W-30 will flow better at even lower temperatures than 10W-30 while still providing protection at high temperatures. Just remember, the “W” stands for winter.

Please refer to your owner’s manual or our Oil Selector tool to ensure you are using the recommended motor oil for your vehicle.
Re: Know Your Car Oil by pat4care: 6:05pm On Jun 22, 2013
I like ur post I've been looking for someone to talk to. Pls I have an 08 accord and d recommended oil grade is 5w-20 do u think it's ok for Nigeria weather? Kindly reply pls. Tanx
Re: Know Your Car Oil by lacasa: 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2013
Hi, i Use 20w50 for my 2005 accord 4cylinder. wt over 100,000 on mileage.

Should i continue wt this grade oil or chage to 5w-20 wt this mileage?
Re: Know Your Car Oil by Gabrinoz: 2:56pm On Jun 23, 2013
pat4care: I like ur post I've been looking for someone to talk to. Pls I have an 08 accord and d recommended oil grade is 5w-20 do u think it's ok for Nigeria weather? Kindly reply pls. Tanx
I recommend you upgragde the oil to 10w30 because of the age of the car. BUT read this:

The addition of Pour Point Depressant additives (VI) keep the paraffin in petroleum base oils from coalescing together when temperature drops. Pour Point Depressants can keep an oil fluid in extreme cold temperatures, such as in the arctic regions. We will not go into Pour Point Depressing additives at this time except to say they are only used where temperatures are very extreme to keep the motor oil from becoming completely immobilized by the cold temperature extreme. For now we will just discuss the Viscosity Improvers (VI) additives.

The VI additives have the effect of keeping the oil from thinning excessively when heated. The actual mechanics of this system are a little more complex in that these additives are added to a thinner oil so that it will be fluid at a cold temperature. The VI additives then prevent thinning as the oil is heated so that it now can pass the SAE viscosity rating at 210. For example; if you have a SAE 10 motor oil it will flow like a 10W at the colder temperature. But at 210 degrees it will be a SAE 10 giving us a 10W-10 or SAE 10 viscosity rating.

Multi-grade motor oils perform a great service not being too thick at cold startup to prevent engine wear by providing more instantaneous oil flow to critical engine parts. However, there is a draw back. These additives shear back in high heat or during high shear force operation and break down causing some sludging. What's worse is once the additive begins to be depleted the motor oil no long resists thinning so now you have a thinner motor oil at 210 degrees. Your 10W-30 motor oil can easily become a 10W-20 or even a SAE 10 (10W-10) motor oil. I don't have to tell you why that is bad. The more VI additives the worse the problem which is why auto manufacturers decided to steer car owners away from motor oils loaded with VI additives like the 10W-40 and 20W-50 viscosities
Re: Know Your Car Oil by Gabrinoz: 3:01pm On Jun 23, 2013
lacasa: Hi, i Use 20w50 for my 2005 accord 4cylinder. wt over 100,000 on mileage.

Should i continue wt this grade oil or chage to 5w-20 wt this mileage?

The major difference is that with 20w50 u will change your oil more frequently than when you use lower grades. Pls read my reply to Pat4Care. Thanks
Re: Know Your Car Oil by 9icetoo(m): 7:40am On Jun 24, 2013
Where can one get a 0w 20 in port harcourt please? thanks.
Re: Know Your Car Oil by gbeseun(m): 1:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
Please I use camry tiny light 1999 model with over 200,000 on odometer,I ring d engine recently,what spec oil should I b using?

(1) (Reply)

What Is Colour Lights Are On Disabled Vehicles? / My Toyota Camry Needs Help Pls / Automatic Car Gear System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.