Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,160 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola (783 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Lagos Set To Join Oil Producing States As Production Begins This Year / Lagos To Join Oil Producing States In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by blacksta(m): 8:08am On May 11, 2008
President Umaru Musa Yar”Adua yesterday lamented the situation in the Niger Delta, saying if oil exploration and production are not allowed and peace restored in the troubled region, the country stood the risk of losing its position in Africa to Angola.

The president, who painted a bleak future for the country on account of the tensed situation in the troubled region, in Yenagoa during the flag-off of the governorship campaign of Chief Timipre Sylva, said he felt pained anytime he received the disturbing report on the region.

He said though his administration was already on top of the situation in the region with Vice President Goodluck Jonathan charged with the responsibility of ensuring a peaceful dialogue on contentious issues, the people of the region should not throw away the opportunity for the country to become the petrol-chemical hub of the African continent.

''There is a growing energy situation in the world and the energy demand is becoming worrisome. The situation has started driving upward the price of crude oil. When the world press talks about it, they said it is due to the lack of peace in Iran, Iraq and now the Niger Delta region. This assertion is becoming true. It is because we provide the world with the opportunity to do so. It is painful for me because we have the potentials to become the petro-chemical hub of the continent,” he lamented.

The President noted that in a country that needed development, there are two ways of developing money for such a country.
He explained that all the government needed do is to provide necessary empowerment for growth citing the issue of the release of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) funds as a priority and in accordance with the Act establishing it.

“We have set aside funds for the oil producing states of the country, and in the supplementary budget, we will make the issue of power/energy, security and the Niger Delta region, a priority. The administration is doing everything possible to lay foundation for development,” he said.
President Yar”Adua however stated that without peace and unity, such desired development can not be achieved.

”If there is no peace in the Niger Delta region, the country may loose its position to Angola, that is what it will cost us. Let us not throw away God given opportunity. As in other places in the world, it is not governments that provide investment; it is the private business and investments. Of the whole continent, there is no where with abundant resources but the Niger Delta.

“The Vice President is leading the process of dialogue. I appeal that you co-operate with the Vice President, the National Assembly and the Government. This conference will provide a way forward for peace and I appeal in the name of God. I am talking from the bottom of my heart. It is painful that we could lose our position,” he noted.

He however agreed that the issue of conflict in the Niger Delta may have been an offshoot of what has befallen the African continent in the last five decades of existence. ''the growth of the continent among the league of nations has been retarded by conflict and crisis. But once peace comes and stays for 15 years, you will not believe the transformation that will occur in the region. Don't create fear and tension that impede development.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8036&Itemid=0
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by blacksta(m): 8:12am On May 11, 2008
Dear President Yar Adua i dont know what planet you live on or may be you are trying to deny the reality . You say nigerians will lose their position as top producing country. I beg to differ and inform you that a very large proportion of nigerians dont even benefit from any of our natural resources and i can guranatee you that it not make any difference to us if will lose our position as top producing nation it is more of a blessing in disguise it simply equates to less money for your government to steal. I conclude that past adminstration and possibly the present administration dont really understand the plight of the people or maybe dont know how to run a country - You guys are completely Out of touch. God help you.
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by ono(m): 11:16am On May 11, 2008
But, who cares. . . . . . .even if we come last. sad
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by smile4kenn(m): 12:36pm On May 11, 2008
see wahala, as first, wetin we gain? nuffin
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On May 11, 2008
blacksta:

Dear President Yar Adua i don't know what planet you live on or may be you are trying to deny the reality . You say nigerians will lose their position as top producing country. I beg to differ and inform you that a very large proportion of nigerians don't even benefit from any of our natural resources and i can guranatee you that it not make any difference to us if will lose our position as top producing nation it is more of a blessing in disguise it simply equates to less money for your government to steal.

Thank you my brother.
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by bawomolo(m): 11:00pm On May 11, 2008
the nigerian government should be in a battle for the standard of living and not in a battle for positions like who produces more oil. if the nigerian government was serious about oil production, it would tackle oil bunkering and ND thugs with more security forces.it's about time we diversified our economy and stop "lamenting".
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by wendymanda: 3:37am On May 12, 2008
Please we have to do something about losing the Nigerian oil race position to Angola. You see if we lose our position then we can't aid and abate our government from stealing from us.

Yar' dumbass is very daft but not so lost in his daftness to forget the importance of remaining in front of Angola.
Re: Yar Adua Says Nigeria Will Lose Oil Producing Position To Angola by landis(m): 2:16pm On May 12, 2008
there is the quality of thought of your President.

garbage in, garbage out

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Anti-graft Drive Threatened –financial Times Of London / Shutting Down Of Ocean View / Funny Thing How Every Nigerian Keeps Complaining That Government Is Not Doing Anything Yet An Abysma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.