Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich (2321 Views)

The Lions Den Of Arewa / The Story Behind The Asian Tigers (Nigeria Take Note) / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 25, 2013
Why did Asian tigers and not African lions become economically successful? The answer is simple: agriculture. In the sixties, newly independent African countries had more potential than their South East Asian counterparts. The reason why Africa is still poor is that it failed to invest in rural areas, a comparative study by the Tracking Development project shows.

The study, that took five years to complete, researched the development of four pairs of countries: Nigeria/Indonesia, Kenya/ Malaysia, Tanzania/ Vietnam and Uganda/Cambodia. The pattern that emerges is clear, says David Henley, Indonesia expert and one of the leaders of the project, which was funded by the Dutch Foreign Ministry: agriculture is the only effective tool for development.

He says that African countries can learn lessons from South East Asia’s effective development track record. This is what is required: 1. pro-poor, pro-rural public spending; 2. economic freedom and market access for peasants and small entrepreneurs; and 3. low inflation and stable currencies.

Political threat
South East Asian governments had good reasons to invest in rural areas, because that’s where their most serious political threats came from. The rural masses were poor, vocal and well organized. Rural insurrections were looming. “In Africa, rural masses hardly have a voice. An African leader doesn't need to be afraid of them,“ explains Dutch africanist Kees van Donge, Henley’s fellow project leader.

After independence, African governments were hoping that the benefits of their industrial investments would trickle down to rural populations. That never happened. In South East Asia, by contrast, measures to boost agriculture eventually benefited urban populations as well.

Van Donge says the rationale is simple: “You should focus on agriculture because most poor people live in rural areas; it’s easier to reduce poverty there. This, once it is achieved, gives rural populations the possibility to engage in productive work. The returns from agriculture are much higher and provide a foundation for industrialisation, not the other way around.”

Corruption
At the project’s inception, it was believed that corruption did not have a major impact on development, as two notoriously corrupt countries, Indonesia and Nigeria, had achieved different levels of development. But in Indonesia, corrupt money was reinvested in the local economy, says David Uchenna Enweremadu, who did research in both countries. “And in Nigeria the money is taken outside to Switzerland and Britain, so you end up with a very negative type of corruption that is more harmful to development.”

The researchers also examined governance in both regions. Akinyinka Akinyoade, for example, found that with longer tenures in office, ministers in Indonesia had sufficient time to implement their policies, compared to Nigeria where the political turnover was high. When Nigeria had six finance ministers in 15 years, Indonesia had only one. “In Indonesia, ministers are appointed not because of their political or ethnic background, but because they are ready to deliver, and they get government support to get the job done,” says Akinyoade.
http://www.rnw.nl/africa/article/why-africa-lion-stayed-poor-and-asian-tiger-became-rich

2 Likes

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 4:14am On Jun 25, 2013
Do you agree?

As for me, I gave up on the dark continent a la basketcase time ago. Trying to solve Africa's unique and diabolical problems, is like pouring water into a darn basket. It's basically just a waste of time. The people are happy with the status quo - so why bother with them? You might as well go there, get your own share of the loot, and elope afterwards. Africa is a lost cause - and there's no future. grin It's not just Africa - black people in general are forever ingrained at the bottom of every totem-pole for human classification.

I've been following the Edward Snowden vs. NSA + America case. And it seems all the continents and power-brokers in the world are involved - except Africa. Why? grin
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 25, 2013
Dont give up,e go better. When i started this post i wass going to give you some reasons why you shouldnt give up,but i cant think of any so jux dont give up,e go betta
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by rash47(m): 7:37am On Jun 25, 2013
Let's kip our head up, never give up. Africa is the future,the promise, the only uncontaminated continent in d world. One day we will surely gets there.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by pazienza(m): 8:06am On Jun 25, 2013
rash47:
Let's kip our head up, never give up. Africa is the future,the promise, the only uncontaminated continent in d world. One day we will surely gets there.

Uncontaminated continent? What's that suppose to mean?
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by UyiIredia(m): 8:21am On Jun 25, 2013
@ OP: Gbam. Take a start. A prominent clergyman suggested we put NYSC persons in the farms. Favor agriculture, especially in the rural areas. Favor grassroots development.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 26, 2013
koonbey: Dont give up,e go better. When i started this post i wass going to give you some reasons why you shouldnt give up,but i cant think of any so jux dont give up,e go betta

For how long, bro.?

And how about the medieval and innately retrogressive mindset of the people who occupy that geographical location?

The world can't wait for Africa forever - we've to act now, and I don't see that happening to be honest.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 1:39am On Jun 26, 2013
rash47:

Damn don!!

I've been hearing that for eons.

Africa needs to stand-up and be counted.

We can't just keep sleeping like propofol-induced/sedatives-influenced docile patients.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Afam4eva(m): 1:43am On Jun 26, 2013
If poverty must be tackled, it is common sense to focus on what majority of poor population are involved in and that is Agriculture. Without Agriculture, wealth will hardly trickle down to the rural areas.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by DerideGull(m): 1:44am On Jun 26, 2013
Stupidity!!!!
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 2:09am On Jun 26, 2013
Afam4eva: If poverty must be tackled, it is common sense to focus on what majority of poor population are involved in and that is Agriculture. Without Agriculture, wealth will hardly trickle down to the rural areas.

But are Africans ready to go back to the farm?

The mentality is so messed up that everyone seems to be scheming for education and white-collar jobs, even when they aren't mentally capable for it.

Personally, I don't mind being a farmer. Most farmers in the UK are millionaires.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Afam4eva(m): 2:15am On Jun 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

But are Africans ready to go back to the farm?

The mentality is so messed up that everyone seems to be scheming for education and white-collar jobs, even when they aren't mentally capable for it.

Personally, I don't mind being a farmer. Most farmers in the UK are millionaires.
Not until the mindset changes. Our mindset has been fvcked up for so long by the whites that we have failed to look inwards and develop with our unique idiosyncrasies.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 2:16am On Jun 26, 2013
DerideGull: Stupidity!!!!

Mazi Dede1, kedu. grin

I just started reading "The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War" by Alexander Madiebo today. And I'm not going to lie, I did shed a tear subconsciously on the train today, on my way from work.

I know there might be some sentiments involved in his narration, however, I enjoyed what I've read so far. Personally, I think Nzeogwu was let down by the coup plotters in Lagos. Also, I think we can draw comparisons between this current administration and the first republic. History is about to repeat itself - however, it seems Igbo's haven't learnt their lessons about not underestimating the Northerners. GEJ reminds me of Aguiyi Ironsi. The swift way in which the Northern army captured Lagos, despite Igbo officers being in-charge of all the Lagos garrisons and having almost the same number of combatants is shocking.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by DerideGull(m): 2:32am On Jun 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

Mazi Dede1, kedu. grin

I just started reading "The Nigerian Revolution and the Biafran War" by Alexander Madiebo today. And I'm not going to lie, I did shed a tear subconsciously on the train today, on my way from work.

I know there might be some sentiments involved in his narration, however, I enjoyed what I've read so far. Personally, I think Nzeogwu was let down by the coup plotters in Lagos. Also, I think we can draw comparisons between this current administration and the first republic. History is about to repeat itself - however, it seems Igbo's haven't learnt their lessons about not underestimating the Northerners. GEJ reminds me of Aguiyi Ironsi. The swift way in which the Northern army captured Lagos, despite Igbo officers being in-charge of all the Lagos garrisons and having almost the same number of combatants is shocking.

Omo Shymaxx.

When you read Alexander Madiebo’s crap, you must try to understand the objectives of coup plotters. While the objective of January 15, 1966 coup plotters was to change a government riddled with nepotism and corruption, the main objective of July 29, 1966 coup plotters was tribal and to eliminate easterners.

It is very naïve and childish on your part to insinuate that Ndigbo have not learnt their lesson. I expect you to expatiate on “Ndigbo have not learnt their lesson”.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Horus(m): 11:46am On Jun 26, 2013
Afam4eva: If poverty must be tackled, it is common sense to focus on what majority of poor population are involved in and that is Agriculture. Without Agriculture, wealth will hardly trickle down to the rural areas.

Agriculture offers a brighter future than crude oil. Expanding agriculture can boost the economy and can also create millions of jobs.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 27, 2013
DerideGull:
Omo Shymaxx.

When you read Alexander Madiebo’s crap, you must try to understand the objectives of coup plotters. While the objective of January 15, 1966 coup plotters was to change a government riddled with nepotism and corruption, the main objective of July 29, 1966 coup plotters was tribal and to eliminate easterners.

It is very naïve and childish on your part to insinuate that Ndigbo have not learnt their lesson. I expect you to expatiate on “Ndigbo have not learnt their lesson”.

You have to do a comparative analysis of the first republic and this current government, to understand my POV.

Also, why was Ojukwu acting scared of his fellow Igbo officers before and during the secession? And why did put Nnewi men in key positions? undecided
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by readonenaire(m): 6:58am On Jun 30, 2013
At this point in Nigeria's economic adventure, its just like the little crack in the tunnel seems like there is light at the end, but at 2013 it seems like the tunnel is NEVER going to have an end.
The cankerworm has really eaten deep, that the only antidote is taking brutal and severe drastic measures, I hope everyone caught my drift
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by juman(m): 10:50am On Jun 30, 2013
nigeria fail to show a classical example of good governance.
Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by juman(m): 10:53am On Jun 30, 2013
Well sha, there is improvement in governance particularly in many southern states in nigeria, but of course there is a lot to be done.

1 Like

Re: Why The African Lions Stayed Poor And The Asian Tigers Became Rich by juman(m): 10:56am On Jun 30, 2013
The useless people of IBB generation destroyed the country, they deliberately destroyed the country.

(1) (Reply)

If These Continents Were To Go To War, Who Would Win? Indept Analysis Pls. / Ngige Started Kidnapping In Anambra – Obi / Why Nigerians Need Buhari Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.