Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,400 members, 7,812,173 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? (1326 Views)

Where Will Our African Ancestors Go? Heaven Or Hell!! / Popular Fuji Legend, Adewale Ayuba Dumps Islam For Christianity? / Nigerian Bishop: Muslims Leaving Islam For Christianity Due To Islamic Terrorism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 12:24pm On May 13, 2008
Clearly, some of our traditions have pagan origins and as such should be eschewed. What about the aspects of our culture that seem right, but yet have pagan origin?
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 12:26pm On May 13, 2008
For example is it still ok to prostrate to greet parents and elders, if Christianity says that God alone should be given such deference.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by AKO1(m): 1:08pm On May 13, 2008
WHERE IS MY PREVIOUS POST angry angry

Anyway one that should definately be given up is POLYGAMY.

The bible says to honor ones father and mother. Does it say not to bow down to any other thing except god? I think so, I'm not sure.

"Bowing' is not African by the way. I think it all depends on the function it is meant to serve.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 2:42pm On May 13, 2008
Bowing, and prostrating are African.
gods and kings are honoured in this way.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by AKO1(m): 3:17pm On May 13, 2008
No no, what about lawyers bowing to 'my lord' in court? Is that African?
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 13, 2008
c
A_K_O:

No no, what about lawyers bowing to 'my lord' in court? Is that African?
Good question. This is a clear case of Western hypocrisy.

They [Westerners] preserve what is good in their respective cultures; while they encourage Africans to destroy their beautiful customs and traditions.

The results are tragic => Africans lose their identity: they are neither fully African, nor fully Westernized.

The bible should be studied [and prayed with] carefully.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by AKO1(m): 3:35pm On May 13, 2008
Well then my point was that bowing is neither exclusively African nor Western nor scriptural. I cant tell whos copying who. But then again if youre bowing as a mark of respect and not worship its not wrong.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by JeSoul(f): 3:44pm On May 13, 2008
As long as that culture contradicts any biblical commandment, it must go!

I still kneel to greet my parents and elder folks. . . I see it as a sign of respect NOT a form of worship. It is the intent that matters in this case I think.

I know there're many things in african tradition that must be given up but I can't seem to think of any now. . .
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 4:56pm On May 13, 2008
Yes, people curtsy the queen and other royalty. That does not make it right either.

People genuflect for the pope. still not necessarily right.

When does respect become reverence?
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 4:57pm On May 13, 2008
I suppose my question is founded upon an observation that many Africans still hold on to certain superstitions like, dont cross your feet over another person's body, , and several other superstitions that I'm sure you can all recollect a few.

We still believe certain things bring bad luck and some things bring good luck.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by savanaha: 5:01pm On May 13, 2008
throwing away of twins
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Lady2(f): 5:05pm On May 13, 2008
When God asked us to honour our parents, he didn't outline a particular way to do so.
He didn't say bow to your parents or prostrate.

He said honour, so which ever way u honour, honour.

I am Bini and we kneel to show honour to our elders. My friend is igbo, they don't kneel, my grandmother looked at her with an evil eye when the girl greeted her without kneeling. Does this mean that my friend was wrong? No.
When we're done eating, we greet everyone in the house. I greeted my yoruba aunty and she looked at me with shock. Does that mean that I am wrong? No.

I hope that explains it.

LOLOLOL. Imhotep, I'm sure you can figure out why I'm laughing especially when you read JeSoul's post.
Lol. Wonders shall never cease.

JeSoul, it's nothing bad, I promise. It's just funny.

1 Like

Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by SENATORJD(m): 5:22pm On May 13, 2008
if my African culture contradicts my christain views, then i'd let it go right away
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by JeSoul(f): 7:14pm On May 13, 2008
~Lady~:

LOLOLOL. Imhotep, I'm sure you can figure out why I'm laughing especially when you read JeSoul's post.
Lol. Wonders shall never cease.

JeSoul, it's nothing bad, I promise. It's just funny.

sista can I get in on the joke so I can laugh too smiley
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by brownbonno(m): 1:37am On May 14, 2008
SENATOR JD:

if my African culture contradicts my christain views, then i'd let it go right away

Little minded man?Nigerians are hidden under the umbrella of Christianity to perpetuate their evil act.
Lets give an example,If you have to swear in court before giving evidence/statement and you swear with the god of thunder,god of river or god of iron,you will not add a single lie lie to your testimony.But if you swear with the Bible,hmmm,hell know what will constitute your testimony.
Christianity have washed our rich culture and respect out of this God created earth.
Pastors should teach/preach righteousness and not just prosperity.Prosperity is a by-product of righteousness.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by merge(f): 4:20am On May 14, 2008
None
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Ndipe(m): 6:30am On May 14, 2008
Any aspect of our culture that contradicts Christianity should be abandoned!
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by SENATORJD(m): 9:05am On May 14, 2008
brownbonno:

Little minded man?Nigerians are hidden under the umbrella of Christianity to perpetuate their evil act.
evil acts such as? mr big minded man
brownbonno:

Lets give an example,If you have to swear in court before giving evidence/statement and you swear with the god of thunder,god of river or god of iron,you will not add a single lie lie to your testimony.But if you swear with the Bible,hmmm,hell know what will constitute your testimony.
so what exactly is your point that by swearing with all those u'd not lie?
brownbonno:

Christianity have washed our rich culture and respect out of this God created earth.
can u please name which rich cultures christainity has washed?and then u can answer the question the poster asked
How much of our African culture should we give up for christainity?
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 10:11am On May 14, 2008
What about pouring our libation to our ancestors in a ceremony?

or breaking of kola nuts to the spirits at meetings and weddings? Most ibo traditional weddings perform this ritual.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by AKO1(m): 10:23am On May 14, 2008
Grouppoint:

or breaking of kola nuts to the spirits at meetings and weddings? Most ibo traditional weddings perform this ritual.

Those are clearly wrong. I dont believe there is any communication between the livng and the dead although catholics do.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by SENATORJD(m): 10:32am On May 14, 2008
Grouppoint:

and christainity has washed all these rich cultures away?maybe am naive or new but what spirits at meetings and weddings?some of these stuffs dnt make any sense to ME and i say again to ME.appeasing the "gods" by giving goats,chickens and the rest at this time and age?my own view anyways
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by lystola: 10:48am On May 14, 2008
Speaking of Postrating: i think thats only an act of respect to who you are postrating for, bowing to your parents is an act of courtsy, and it is very different to reverence to God because the circumstances surrounding it are different, bbut doing that in a situation like, postrating to you parent as an act of worship is defintely out of the question.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by lucabrasi(m): 1:20pm On May 14, 2008
if a christian were to be perfectly honest with him/herself,you always know the moment you r crossing the line from just being a christian interested in african culture to eschewing african culture over your religion, the positive ones have a grounding in the bible fromTHE LITTLE I KNOW OF THE BIBLE, prostrating for your parents,its in the bible to honour your father and mother so theres no conflict there and in many positive cultural instances as well
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Grouppoint(m): 4:21pm On May 14, 2008
@lucrabasi,
On the contrary, many Christians are actually clueless as to when the line is being crossed.

During a traditional marriage or many grand ocassions, Kola is broken. Do you know what prayers are said to the gods during the breaking of kola? eg 'He who brings kola, brings life'. May the spirits protect all and sundry. etc

After some of such covenants to th egods, audience all clap hands. Not realising that one may have just signed up to a few years odf bondage.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by SENATORJD(m): 6:49pm On May 14, 2008
Grouppoint:

After some of such covenants to th egods, audience all clap hands. Not realising that one may have just signed up to a few years odf bondage.
how? by clapping?or by being at that place?pls clarify
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Lady2(f): 6:52pm On May 14, 2008
sista can I get in on the joke so I can laugh too  

Read your post and think about the things you accuse the Catholics of doing.

Pastors should teach/preach righteousness and not just prosperity.Prosperity is a by-product of righteousness.

I agree with this. Almost all my life of attending a church (protestant) I don't remember a service where prosperity (monetary mostly) was not fit into this. I hardly remember anything on living as a christian, other than when someone sins and the hypocrites judge.

Those are clearly wrong. I don't believe there is any communication between the livng and the dead although catholics do.

Just because you have your belief, doesn't make this belief wrong.

I don't necessarily agree with the spirits the igbos are calling on. DOn't know much about that, but  I do believe in the communication between the dead and the living. I believe in the exchange of spiritual gifts. Remember Christians are not of this world, that is the trick  wink.

Can someone explain the spirits thing at the meetings and weddings, please. What are these spirits?
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by olabowale(m): 7:00pm On May 14, 2008
@~Lady~: The trick is that Christians are not of this world? And yet they live in it? And when they are facing death you see them saying that they don't wanna die?

Give me a different trick, again, woman.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Lady2(f): 7:33pm On May 14, 2008
@~Lady~: The trick is that Christians are not of this world? And yet they live in it? And when they are facing death you see them saying that they don't want to die?

Give me a different trick, again, woman.

Did I ever tell you that I don't want to die? Am I not a Christian woman?

Did i not explain to you what "of this world" means? Man stop catching amnesia.
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by lucabrasi(m): 9:15pm On May 14, 2008
Grouppoint:

@lucrabasi,
On the contrary, many Christians are actually clueless as to when the line is being crossed.

During a traditional marriage or many grand ocassions, Kola is broken. Do you know what prayers are said to the gods during the breaking of kola? eg 'He who brings kola, brings life'. May the spirits protect all and sundry. etc

any christian that thinks that or uses that as an excuse is in denial,and worse not bein totally honest,we all have that still voice inside us that ll distinguish between right and wrong according to our beliefs,breaking kolanut and what nut is just going through the motions, no substance, same way doing the question and answer thing they do in engagements, does it mean that if you dont give them money for the aeroplane to bring the wife, you wont get married.?the point im tryna make is that they r all just having fun even with the kolanut,a christian will always know when they have crossed the line, if someone breaks the kolanut and whatnot calln some gods name,its not binding on you unless u push it foward and then commit yourself
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by JeSoul(f): 2:48pm On May 16, 2008
~Lady~:

Read your post and think about the things you accuse the Catholics of doing.

I agree with this. Almost all my life of attending a church (protestant) I don't remember a service where prosperity (monetary mostly) was not fit into this. I hardly remember anything on living as a christian, other than when someone sins and the hypocrites judge.

Lady every day you display your insecurities in your faith on these boards. Why are you so bitter?
NOBODY was saying anything or mentioning anything catholic here, the discussion is just going on nicely and you just couldn't help yourself but go and bring up protestant vs catholic again  angry
  We are trying to be peaceful but it just seems you cannot be.

Please re-read the post and the subject of this thread. Obviously when AKO and myself said that we see this as a sign of respect not a form of worship and you are comparing it to what catholics do - it is two very different scenarios and issues at hand and your comparison fails woefully.

Abeg try and resist making every discussion a catholic vs protestant issue, and then crying you are the victim. . . we are tired of it.   angry
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by Cayon(f): 2:18pm On May 17, 2008
Well if we are christians and follow Jesus teachings then definitely we should cut out some "cultural" things. For example: Having more than one partner shocked shocked
Re: How Much Of Our African Culture Should We Give Up For Christianity? by olabowale(m): 2:46pm On May 17, 2008
@~Lady~:
[Quote]
Did I ever tell you that I don't want to die? Am I not a Christian woman?

Did i not explain to you what "of this world" means? Man stop catching amnesia.
[/Quote]

Your explanation did not justify your meaning "of this world." No one is "of this world," since we all have to die. Don't forget Judgement day.

And am too young to catch amnesia. You should know that by now. By your saying it does not mean it is so. Te same that your of this world expression does not really make Christianity special. Afterall, Jesus said that he will deny some of the Christians when they come to him, in the day of Judgement.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Bizzare That I Am Nigerian But I Dont Believe In God / Wise Man John Chi Back N Live On Emmanuel Tv / One Word To Describe Lucifer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.