Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... - Literature/Writing Ads - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Ads / Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... (675 Views)

Are You Talented? Get Paid For Your Writing Skills. / Show Your Writing Skills: Get Your Articles Published Free Of Charge For Free / Get A Writer For Your Writing Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by deanawah: 9:53am On Jun 26, 2013
I'll quickly complete the subject before delving into this discussion...

"Why Spend any Money Paying to Revise/Edit Your Writing When... In Just One Day, You Can Learn the Basic Principles, Save All the Money You'd Rather Spend to Revise/Edit Each Piece of Writing You Create Your Entire Live, and Probably Make a Lot of Money off Other Writers Who're Either Ignorant to or Lack Inadequate Information as it Concerns these Inevitable Standard Writing Processes"

Okay... let's proceed into the heart of this topic since you've gotten a bird's eye view already; since it take a little time only, endeavour to give this discussion your ultimate attention so you'll benefit the most from all I'll talk about!

Now, it bothered me quite frankly after a brief phone conversation yesterday with an aspiring creative writer who in a nutshell, complained so bitterly over inadequate funds to propel his writing career/aspirations. Well, as a personal development coach, pop-psychologist and incurable optimist, I realized from personal experience that the first and most important thing I sincerely needed to do for this young, ambitious and seemingly brilliant hardworking fellow was dispel and see him through the mental roadblocks his frustrating experiences had errected (since I knew he would never get beyond this point with the mental obstacles in place). And, here's how I ethically went about this...

I simply had to make him understand he was only undergoing a due process every fulfilled writer(I'd say)experienced. I even borrowed leaf from an article I read in the sun newspaper (Sunday, May 23, 2013) which narrated how due to some circumstances/roadblocks, the legendary Chinua Achebe after writing the draft of Things Fall Apart almost forgot not only about the eventual classic book, but even decided to abandon his writing career as a whole and devote his attention to his employee job at the NBC so he could make a living. In addition, I also led this fellow into the privacy of my personal experiences as a fledging witer with a view to explaining that only those who won the battle would wear the crown since this actually determines those worthy of reaping the bountiful benefits that accrue from the noble art of witing. And right there on the phone, I noticed I was making progress because his tone of voice gradually changed from despair to hope and appreciable self-confidence. But inspite of this self-acclaimed progress, one issue still remained a huge puzzle to me long after this phone conversation...

Even after prescribing the self-publishing route as an improvised remedy and a means to harnessing the benefits of the information age and internet technology as it applies to the art of writing, I still imagined how one could possibly create standard hence financially lucrative writing compositions without proper revising and editing? I'll have to emphasize this point because I still wonder if anyone could afford to devote his time and energy to the art of creative writng without expectations of some financial rewards howver little. And, if this be the situation, why would book purchasers spend their hard-earned money on any poor creative composition (the inevitable result of inadequate revising and editing)? Please think deeply about this insight! And, if fledgling/aspiring writers to a large extent suffer inadequate funds, how would they manage the fees (however little) required to revise and edit their writing in order to produce financially rewarding and personally satisfying literary compositions? Please think deeply about this too. Well, because my young friend during our phone conversation equally implied this point was a huge hurdle to his writing career/aspiration, here's my thoughts concerning the matter of revising and editing your writing...

1. How come writers (particularly those pressed for cash) don't realize that they musn't depend solely on commercial revisors and editors for their writing compositions? Could this be due to some sort of ignorance?

2. As I learned from personal experience as a fledging/aspiring creative writer... how come other writers (particularly those pressed for cash) hardly realize that they too could quickly (a single day to be absolutely honest and precise) learn the basics of revising and editing and then apply this knowledge in diverse ways throughout the lifespan of their writing career/aspirations? Could this result from inadequate information?

3. Though I've culled this point from personal experience, do writers (particularly those pressed for cash) think that commercial revisors and editors would do better jobs than they themselves personally would, even after learning the basics of revising and editing? Afterall, the standard basics for revising and editing are the same the world over so any adequately informed and ambitious person could do justice to these inevitable standard writing processes!

4. Why do writers (particularly those pressed for cash) allow the stages of revising and editing block their writing career and aspirations (drain their confidence, steal their happiness and sap their cash) as it concerns turning their creative writing into lucrative and spiritually gratifying money making ventures, and...

5. Would creative writers (particularly those pressed for cash) be willing to or emotionally intelligent to adapt to change rather than being stuck in the rut as it concerns employing the due standard processes of revising and editing?

So, here's how I invite you to partake in this vital discussion!

Please feel free to err your mind by openly sharing your opionions as it concerns this subject...

"Why Spend any Money Paying to Revise/Edit Your Writing When... In Just One Day, You Can Learn the Basic Principles, Save All the Money You'd Rather Spend to Revise/Edit Each Piece of Writing You Create Your Entire Live, and Probably Make a Lot of Money off Other Writers Who're Either Ignorant to or Lack Inadequate Information as it Concerns these Inevitable Standard Writing Processes"

Please remember that your contribution could go a long way to help that unknown person desperately in need of it.

Dean Awah, CEO
VantageInfo Publishing
Re: Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by mortee: 9:13am On Jun 27, 2013
Nice write-up, poster. But I beg to differ with you. There are some things you can't just learn and being an editor is one of them. It takes more than knowing basic grammar or creative writing rules to be an editor, a good one as a matter of fact. It's the same with being a writer. There are times when no matter the great number of writing workshops you attend, if you are not a writer, you are not just it.

To be an editor, you need lots of patience and a creative mind, and an eagle's eyes too. There are some people who can never spot errors in writings, no matter the number of times they read the manuscript over and over again. Editing or proofreading is a skill that is first innate before you can begin to think of ways to develop it or become a professional at it.

If every writer can edit their works, why do you think professors of English language with decades of writing experience and medals to show for it still look for editors/proofreaders for their writings?

And just how do you intend to teach writers to edit their own works themselves when even you could not accurately proofread your own post here? For instance, it's "air" your mind and not "err".

Fine, there are basic "grammar rules" for editing but it takes more than knowing the parts of speech and tenses to be a good editor/proofreader.

Editors are born, not made. Editors who are writers MAY not necessarily need others to look through their works, but there is no good writer who won't agree that he needs a proofreader, at least!

1 Like

Re: Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by deanawah: 3:32pm On Jun 27, 2013
deanawah: I'll quickly complete the subject before delving into this discussion...

Okay... let's proceed into the heart of this topic since you've gotten a bird's eye view already; since it take a little time only, endeavour to give this discussion your ultimate attention so you'll benefit the most from all I'll talk about!

Now, it bothered me quite frankly after a brief phone conversation yesterday with an aspiring creative writer who in a nutshell, complained so bitterly over inadequate funds to propel his writing career/aspirations. Well, as a personal development coach, pop-psychologist and incurable optimist, I realized from personal experience that the first and most important thing I sincerely needed to do for this young, ambitious and seemingly brilliant hardworking fellow was dispel and see him through the mental roadblocks his frustrating experiences had errected (since I knew he would never get beyond this point with the mental obstacles in place). And, here's how I ethically went about this...

I simply had to make him understand he was only undergoing a due process every fulfilled writer(I'd say)experienced. I even borrowed leaf from an article I read in the sun newspaper (Sunday, May 23, 2013) which narrated how due to some circumstances/roadblocks, the legendary Chinua Achebe after writing the draft of Things Fall Apart almost forgot not only about the eventual classic book, but even decided to abandon his writing career as a whole and devote his attention to his employee job at the NBC so he could make a living. In addition, I also led this fellow into the privacy of my personal experiences as a fledging witer with a view to explaining that only those who won the battle would wear the crown since this actually determines those worthy of reaping the bountiful benefits that accrue from the noble art of witing. And right there on the phone, I noticed I was making progress because his tone of voice gradually changed from despair to hope and appreciable self-confidence. But inspite of this self-acclaimed progress, one issue still remained a huge puzzle to me long after this phone conversation...

Even after prescribing the self-publishing route as an improvised remedy and a means to harnessing the benefits of the information age and internet technology as it applies to the art of writing, I still imagined how one could possibly create standard hence financially lucrative writing compositions without proper revising and editing? I'll have to emphasize this point because I still wonder if anyone could afford to devote his time and energy to the art of creative writng without expectations of some financial rewards howver little. And, if this be the situation, why would book purchasers spend their hard-earned money on any poor creative composition (the inevitable result of inadequate revising and editing)? Please think deeply about this insight! And, if fledgling/aspiring writers to a large extent suffer inadequate funds, how would they manage the fees (however little) required to revise and edit their writing in order to produce financially rewarding and personally satisfying literary compositions? Please think deeply about this too. Well, because my young friend during our phone conversation equally implied this point was a huge hurdle to his writing career/aspiration, here's my thoughts concerning the matter of revising and editing your writing...

1. How come writers (particularly those pressed for cash) don't realize that they musn't depend solely on commercial revisors and editors for their writing compositions? Could this be due to some sort of ignorance?

2. As I learned from personal experience as a fledging/aspiring creative writer... how come other writers (particularly those pressed for cash) hardly realize that they too could quickly (a single day to be absolutely honest and precise) learn the basics of revising and editing and then apply this knowledge in diverse ways throughout the lifespan of their writing career/aspirations? Could this result from inadequate information?

3. Though I've culled this point from personal experience, do writers (particularly those pressed for cash) think that commercial revisors and editors would do better jobs than they themselves personally would, even after learning the basics of revising and editing? Afterall, the standard basics for revising and editing are the same the world over so any adequately informed and ambitious person could do justice to these inevitable standard writing processes!

4. Why do writers (particularly those pressed for cash) allow the stages of revising and editing block their writing career and aspirations (drain their confidence, steal their happiness and sap their cash) as it concerns turning their creative writing into lucrative and spiritually gratifying money making ventures, and...

5. Would creative writers (particularly those pressed for cash) be willing to or emotionally intelligent to adapt to change rather than being stuck in the rut as it concerns employing the due standard processes of revising and editing?

Please feel free to err your mind by openly sharing your opionions as it concerns this subject...

Please remember that your contribution could go a long way to help that unknown person desperately in need of it.

Dean Awah, CEO
VantageInfo Publishing
mortee: Nice write-u[quote author=deanawah]I'll quickly complete the subject before delving into this discussion...

Dean Awah, CEO
VantageInfo Publishing
p, poster. But I beg to differ wi[quote author=deanawah]I'll quickly complete the subject before delving into this discussion...

Please feel free to air your mind by openly sharing your opionions as it concerns this subject...

Dean Awah, CEO
VantageInfo Publishing
Re: Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by mortee: 9:23am On Jun 29, 2013
Did you quote your long post again just to correct one word? There are others you need to check too.
Re: Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by gbengalite(m): 12:26pm On Jun 29, 2013
If you are a writer you would agree with me that it is not easy editing your own job.
You keep reading your title over & over again and you won't even spot anything wrong with it.

I am not ruling out the possiblity of a writer editing his/her work, it is petty difficult.
Even the commercial Editors cannot assure you of 100% error-free job.

Advice: for those with little or no capital, patience is the key. After writing your work take a break, then read your book loud over and over.
Try it again at mid-night when everything looks silent. Look out for words that are not well-spelt, preposition, concord, adjunct, puntuation. If you are satisfied with the synmatic and syntatic aspect, then you run the editing software to polish & fine-tune your title. I recommend using 'Ginger'but you must be connected online. Ginger runs through your .doc/docx/txt file itself with suggestions and corrections.

Note: No matter how hard you edit a book you can only reduce error to the bearest minimum. You still need to give it out to a third party (be it paid or free service).
It only gets better with another eye.

Contact-
Twitter:@gbengalite
Re: Why Spend Any Money Paying To Revise And Edit Your Writing When... by mortee: 12:51am On Jun 30, 2013
@gbengalite, Indeed, you have spoken!

(1) (Reply)

Slimberry's Collection / We Are Looking For Writers For An Entertainment Blog / Lagos City Transcription Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.