Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,803 members, 7,820,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

THE PRODIGAL CHURCH - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / THE PRODIGAL CHURCH (1282 Views)

The "Prodigal Son" Title Is Misleading / The Prodigal Son Is Today's Born-again Believer / The Prodigal Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2013
Give me the portion of goods that falls to me says the younger brother!!!....I want to go...I don't want YOU but I want the BLESSINGS....and the Father divided unto them his life.....the boy left home with the wealth, prestige and comfort...away from his Father into a far country...no more relationship!!!!....sounds like what we use God for......Prodigal Church....

The younger son plans to go back home after being shamefully subjected to feeding pigs; No one gave to him. He decided to go back home thinking he would become one of his fathers hired servant: meaning he would go and work for his Father so that he can pay back the inheritance he took thereby completing the process of restitution.

From a distance his Father saw him and ran towards him; he embraced and kissed him on the neck. Shouldn’t the Father be angry? God is not like man! GRACE DISPLAYED

Before the boy could lay down his plan, the Father called on his servants to get the robe, the ring and sandals for his feet and a fatted calf was killed in the restoration of his son. He invited his friends and there was a feast. The Father will reach out because we have not chosen God, but God has chosen us….John 15:16.

Ok the younger son is back home, where is the older brother?

The Father divided his living between his sons. According to the Jewish custom the first Son has to get double portion: so the Father divided his estate into three parts. The older son will get two-thirds and the younger will get one-third.

The father took from the two-thirds that was left, which belonged to the older brother to restore the younger brother.

Obviously that day was the Fathers happiest day in his life. His son was dead and is alive again….He was lost and now he is found.

The elder son wasn’t at home, but was on his way back from work. He heard the music and the feasting. He decided to ask one of the servants; he was told that his brother was back, hence the feasting. He was angry; he refused to join his happy father at the feast. He thought about the fact that his portion of inheritance was being used. Mis-management of my wealth he thought. He refused to go in!

He cared more about the wealth, prestige and comfort that he never planned to share.

The Older brother stayed out and refused to go in, and like the younger brother, he didn’t think about the state of the Father’s heart. He did not for once think about the fact that the fatted calf was killed. For the fatted calf to be killed in those days, it must have been a very important occasion and many people will have to be invited: the older son did not want to care.

Like he did for the younger brother, the Father went out to meet the older brother to entreat and restore him. He met with him outside the place where the feast was been held and the brother went on.

All these years I have served you, I never transgressed, I never broke your commandment. You never gave me a kid (not calf) so that I can enjoy with my friends but as soon as YOUR SON (no more his brother) came back (who spent all your money on harlots) you killed the fatted calf. This reminds me of our righteousness being filthy rags described in the book of Isaiah.

So he had a reason for remaining with the Father, he was working to get the blessing. He didn’t care about the relationship, which was more important, but the material blessings. This also reminds of todays Church message (prosperity at the expense of relationship). The older brother didn’t even suggest going to look for his younger brother at anytime. No matter the gains in the estate, they will belong to him. No more sharing!!!

This boy will also need the Grace of God for restoration because WORKS won’t get him there.

What happened next?

Jesus ended the story!!!

Preach the Gospel Romans 3: 21 – 23

Jesus ended the story, the older son is still outside with the father…what next?…Oh, it was just a parable – a fictitious story (no wonder we weren’t told their names or identities) with the intent of driving home a point on his plan for redemption.

Who was the father?
God, and his plan to reconcile the world to Himself.

Who was the Calf?
Jesus – He would have to shed his blood for the ransom.

Who was the Older Son?
The Jews, and their effort in getting to God by works.
The older brother was still outside claiming self-righteousness. He went on about how he had worked to achieve. Little did he know that the righteousness with God had to come by Grace and not works. He described how the younger brother spent the money with harlots…was he there, how did he come to that conclusion?

Who was the Younger Son?
The Gentiles: anytime you point an accusing finger at him, remember four is pointing back at you. This has painted the picture of how the Gentiles will be reconciled to God.

Preach the Gospel….it is the Gospel of Grace…it is the Gospel of God!!!
#agelesstruths#

K Surakat

1 Like

Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Boomark(m): 5:09pm On Jun 26, 2013
Who was the father?
God,
and his plan to reconcile the
world to Himself.
Who was the Calf?
Jesus
– He would have to shed his
blood for the ransom.
Who was the Older Son?

Nice article. I hope neo-judaisers learnt a lot.

E be like the bolded came from sukurat?
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 5:50pm On Jun 26, 2013
^^^^^^Looking at the story closely, that is actually what it is. We must continue eating the calf/meat which represent the word of God.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by ichuka(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
@OP
Great write up!
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 7:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
i.chuka:
@OP
Great write up!

God bless you much saint
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 26, 2013
Boomark: Who was the father?
God,
and his plan to reconcile the
world to Himself.
Who was the Calf?
Jesus
– He would have to shed his
blood for the ransom.
Who was the Older Son?

Nice article. I hope neo-judaisers learnt a lot.

E be like the bolded came from sukurat?
Hypocrite. angry
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Candour(m): 7:42pm On Jun 26, 2013
I love this piece brother.Our lord said in John 6:44 that no man can come to him except God draws him. It's all about God and the sacrifice on the cross really.All we need do is accept the offer by believing.

God bless you
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 7:44pm On Jun 26, 2013
@ Candour
May the Lord continue opening our eyes of understanding to see what we have been freely given by the power of God through faith. Thanks
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
THIS MAN YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH 'GRACE'. I SWEAR YOU AND GOSHEN MUST HAVE MARRIED WOMEN NAMED 'GRACE' grin grin
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Boomark(m): 7:54pm On Jun 26, 2013
Bidam: Hypocrite. angry

grin
what has my honesty done to dubioucity. Smh!!! In angry
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2013
Boomark:

grin
what has my honesty done to dubioucity. Smh!!! In angry
false prophet grin
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
obadiah777: THIS MAN YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH 'GRACE'. I SWEAR YOU AND GOSHEN MUST HAVE MARRIED WOMEN NAMED 'GRACE' grin grin

You are right and funny at the same time. GRACE is actually the effect of the death of Christ on the cross of calvary, I would have been a candidate of hell if Christ did not die. GRACE is the gospel of God.

1 Like

Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Boomark(m): 11:02pm On Jun 26, 2013
Bidam: false prophet grin

You are the falsest of all. angry
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by FortresOfChrist(f): 11:12pm On Jun 26, 2013
The LORD our fortress bless you the writer of the article. It was a blessing. Great teachings. Keep 'em coming.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 11:00am On Jun 27, 2013
FortresOfChrist: The LORD our fortress bless you the writer of the article. It was a blessing. Great teachings. Keep 'em coming.

Thank you brother, stay blessed.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 27, 2013
Boomark:

You are the falsest of all. angry
Ok,you already concur you are false.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi: Give me the portion of goods that falls to me says the younger brother!!!....I want to go...I don't want YOU but I want the BLESSINGS....and the Father divided unto them his life.....the boy left home with the wealth, prestige and comfort...away from his Father into a far country...no more relationship!!!!....sounds like what we use God for......Prodigal Church....

The younger son plans to go back home after being shamefully subjected to feeding pigs; No one gave to him. He decided to go back home thinking he would become one of his fathers hired servant: meaning he would go and work for his Father so that he can pay back the inheritance he took thereby completing the process of restitution.

From a distance his Father saw him and ran towards him; he embraced and kissed him on the neck. Shouldn’t the Father be angry? God is not like man! GRACE DISPLAYED

Before the boy could lay down his plan, the Father called on his servants to get the robe, the ring and sandals for his feet and a fatted calf was killed in the restoration of his son. He invited his friends and there was a feast. The Father will reach out because we have not chosen God, but God has chosen us….John 15:16.

Ok the younger son is back home, where is the older brother?

The Father divided his living between his sons. According to the Jewish custom the first Son has to get double portion: so the Father divided his estate into three parts. The older son will get two-thirds and the younger will get one-third.

The father took from the two-thirds that was left, which belonged to the older brother to restore the younger brother.

Obviously that day was the Fathers happiest day in his life. His son was dead and is alive again….He was lost and now he is found.

The elder son wasn’t at home, but was on his way back from work. He heard the music and the feasting. He decided to ask one of the servants; he was told that his brother was back, hence the feasting. He was angry; he refused to join his happy father at the feast. He thought about the fact that his portion of inheritance was being used. Mis-management of my wealth he thought. He refused to go in!

He cared more about the wealth, prestige and comfort that he never planned to share.

The Older brother stayed out and refused to go in, and like the younger brother, he didn’t think about the state of the Father’s heart. He did not for once think about the fact that the fatted calf was killed. For the fatted calf to be killed in those days, it must have been a very important occasion and many people will have to be invited: the older son did not want to care.

Like he did for the younger brother, the Father went out to meet the older brother to entreat and restore him. He met with him outside the place where the feast was been held and the brother went on.

All these years I have served you, I never transgressed, I never broke your commandment. You never gave me a kid (not calf) so that I can enjoy with my friends but as soon as YOUR SON (no more his brother) came back (who spent all your money on harlots) you killed the fatted calf. This reminds me of our righteousness being filthy rags described in the book of Isaiah.

So he had a reason for remaining with the Father, he was working to get the blessing. He didn’t care about the relationship, which was more important, but the material blessings. This also reminds of todays Church message (prosperity at the expense of relationship). The older brother didn’t even suggest going to look for his younger brother at anytime. No matter the gains in the estate, they will belong to him. No more sharing!!!

This boy will also need the Grace of God for restoration because WORKS won’t get him there.

What happened next?

Jesus ended the story!!!

Preach the Gospel Romans 3: 21 – 23

Jesus ended the story, the older son is still outside with the father…what next?…Oh, it was just a parable – a fictitious story (no wonder we weren’t told their names or identities) with the intent of driving home a point on his plan for redemption.

Who was the father?
God, and his plan to reconcile the world to Himself.

Who was the Calf?
Jesus – He would have to shed his blood for the ransom.

Who was the Older Son?
The Jews, and their effort in getting to God by works.
The older brother was still outside claiming self-righteousness. He went on about how he had worked to achieve. Little did he know that the righteousness with God had to come by Grace and not works. He described how the younger brother spent the money with harlots…was he there, how did he come to that conclusion?

Who was the Younger Son?
The Gentiles: anytime you point an accusing finger at him, remember four is pointing back at you. This has painted the picture of how the Gentiles will be reconciled to God.

Preach the Gospel….it is the Gospel of Grace…it is the Gospel of God!!!
#agelesstruths#

K Surakat

You were almost correct. The Jews (Judah and Benjamin) are the elder brother. The prodigal is the House of Israel that was scattered among the nations (read 2 Kings, these are the same people Jeremiah prophesies about in Jeremiah 31), God is bringing them back into covenant. Why you think Jesus said:

Matthew 10
"These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

If you are not Jew, then you have been "grafted into the Olive tree".
So do not call yourself gentile anymore, the word gentile suggests you are not in covenant.

One more point, how can the gentiles (those who are not of the House of Israel) be the elder brother, when they were never in the family in the first place.

Shalom
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 3:18pm On Jun 27, 2013
JesusisLord85:

You were almost correct. The Jews (Judah and Benjamin) are the elder brother. The prodigal is the House of Israel that was scattered among the nations (read 2 Kings, these are the same people Jeremiah prophesies about in Jeremiah 31), God is bringing them back into covenant. Why you think Jesus said:

Matthew 10
"These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

If you are not Jew, then you have been "grafted into the Olive tree".
So do not call yourself gentile anymore, the word gentile suggests you are not in covenant.

One more point, how can the gentiles (those who are not of the House of Israel) be the elder brother, when they were never in the family in the first place.

Shalom

You miss the whole point...This is a parable, not a true story. They were called brothers because God made the Jews and the same God made the gentiles. The Jews were God's people even before the Messiah was sent, the gentiles came into the fold after Christ ascended.

As for your worries with the scattered Jews, Jacob had thirteen children- twelve sons and one daughter. The descendants of these twelve sons by birth are what we now know as the nation of Israel today. Of course, they were scattered as it was written but they have come together now. They remain God's earthly people according to the promise made to Adam. Anyone that is not a descendant of Abraham by blood is not a Jew/Israelite, but he is a gentile.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 4:02pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi:

You miss the whole point...This is a parable, not a true story. They were called brothers because God made the Jews and the same God made the gentiles. The Jews were God's people even before the Messiah was sent, the gentiles came into the fold after Christ ascended.

As for your worries with the scattered Jews, Jacob had thirteen children- twelve sons and one daughter. The descendants of these twelve sons by birth are what we now know as the nation of Israel today. Of course, they were scattered as it was written but they have come together now. They remain God's earthly people according to the promise made to Adam. Anyone that is not a descendant of Abraham by blood is not a Jew/Israelite, but he is a gentile.

Is anybody buying this? It was not a story, it was a parable. But it had meaning. The 'christian' church is not central to God's plan. It is the Jews, has always been and will be till the end. If you convert, you have been grafted into that olive free, he didnt create a whole new special tree for you.

But anyway, I know I am a true Hebrew descendant, you can see my old posts and read the book "the call to the Hebrews" to udnerstand why I say that.

Shalom
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:08pm On Jun 27, 2013
JesusisLord85:

Is anybody buying this? It was not a story, it was a parable. But it had meaning. The 'christian' church is not central to God's plan. It is the Jews, has always been and will be till the end. If you convert, you have been grafted into that olive free, he didnt create a whole new special tree for you.

But anyway, I know I am a true Hebrew descendant, you can see my old posts and read the book "the call to the Hebrews" to udnerstand why I say that.

Shalom

You are a true Hebrew descendant!! Why do you have to be a Hebrew? who says you should be Hebrew?
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi:

You are a true Hebrew descendant!! Why do you have to be a Hebrew? who says you should be Hebrew?

Nothing I did, it is history. Wonder what happened to those Judeans from Jeremiah 42/43? Anyway, read the book and decide. But anyway THAT in itself is not the ospel of Christ so I won't waste time on that topic.

Back to your topic, it is amusing in a way. Jesus is sitting there with his people, and you reckon he is talking about an institution that had not yet come into being. An institution that does not even meet the criteria of being the prodigal son. Again, how can you return to someone you never knew in the first place?

Christians Christians. It is not all about you
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2013
my friend, answer my questions please.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2013
the entire Jewish and gentile story started from this promise, when God separated Abraham to Himself.

Genesis 12

King James Version (KJV)

12 Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's
house
, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Do you understand who the all families of the earth stand for?
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 4:33pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi: my friend, answer my questions please.

You question doesn't make sense. Why do I have to be a Hebrew undecided
People often ignore your questions because they don't seem relevant.

Read my thread on the yoruba and the Ewe, and if you like, buy the book I read.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:35pm On Jun 27, 2013
JesusisLord85:

You question doesn't make sense. Why do I have to be a Hebrew undecided
People often ignore your questions because they don't seem relevant.

Read my thread on the yoruba and the Ewe, and if you like, buy the book I read.

ok, I agree. So, I am Hebrew as well cos you said so. Please attempt my other question, hopefully you won't find it senseless.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 4:46pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi:

ok, I agree. So, I am Hebrew as well cos you said so. Please attempt my other question, hopefully you won't find it senseless.

What is your question, I dodn't see any question mark other than the one about hebrews. You should really just make your point
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2013
the entire Jewish and gentile story started from this promise, when God separated Abraham to Himself.

Genesis 12

King James Version (KJV)

12 Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's
house

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by JesusisLord85: 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2013
shdemidemi: the entire Jewish and gentile story started from this promise, when God separated Abraham to Himself.

Genesis 12

King James Version (KJV)

house

Please do not insult me with such questions. I am interested to see how you will use this and make it relevant to the story of the prodigal son.
I have explaiend to you that is it the House of Israel and House of Judah. Even a cursory look at 2 Kings, and Jeremiah 42/43 will make this plain.
Not exactly an issue of salvation so I won't waste much time debating this
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by shdemidemi(m): 4:55pm On Jun 27, 2013
thanks for your contribution.
Re: THE PRODIGAL CHURCH by SalC: 5:28pm On Jun 27, 2013
@OP nice thread

@OBADDIAH
It seems you don't feel comfortable with the gospel of grace.

(1) (Reply)

I Received The Power From GOD to solve all your problems / 'sex Mountain' – Where Muslims Flock To In Search Of Wealth And Fortune / Appreciate What Christ Has Done For You- March 23, 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.