Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot (14598 Views)

Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala / Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) / Throwback Pics Of Abacha, MKO & Tinubu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Jegede26: 3:20am On Jun 28, 2013
A total of 22.5 million euro has been recovered by the Federal Government from the confiscation on money laundered by General Sani Abacha.

Speaking at the ministerial platform in Abuja, the Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke said a total of 175 million euro was also recovered from the family of the late head of state following a confiscation order by the Supreme Court of Liechtenstein.

Mr Adoke listed measures taken by the federal government to reform the nation’s criminal justice system.

General Abacha had ruled Nigeria as a military Head of State between November 17, 1993 and June 8, 1998, when he died suddenly of a heart attack. As a result, General Abdulsalami Abubakar became the head of state and within a short time, he re-established democracy in Nigeria, arranging for general elections that resulted in the emergence of Olusegun Obasanjo assuming the presidency as the democratically elected leader of the country in 1999.

Before Mr Obasanjo took office, Mr Abubakar’s government had delivered a clear message that the late Abacha had looted huge sums, and they had to be restored. Members of the Abacha family and some of their accomplice then ‘voluntarily’ returned about $1 billion to the Federal Government. In 2002, the Obasanjo administration tentatively came to an agreement with the Abacha family to return another $1 billion out of the $1.1 billion that had been identified, traced and frozen, with the quid pro quo that the Abachas would be allowed to keep balance that had been assessed not to be of criminal origin.

The arrangement was not well received by the masses. Although the proposal caused a massive outcry for seeming to reward the theft of public funds, it was subsequently rejected by the late dictator’s son, Mohammed Abacha, who continued to maintain that all the assets in question were legitimately acquired. The highest sum that had in the past been traced to the family ranged from $3 billion to $5 billion, which includes money allegedly derived from misappropriation of funds from the Central Bank of Nigeria, bribes received from multi-nationals, among others.

The Swiss government last December said that it has so far returned to Nigeria the sum of $700 million stolen by the late dictator and deposited in several Swiss banks. In addition to freezing about $640 million, the Swiss judicial authorities handling the case have also indicted Mohammed Abacha and Atiku Bagudu under Swiss legislation regarding money laundering, fraud and taking part in a criminal organisation.

Source: http://www.leadershub.org/news/nigeria-recovers-more-billions-of-abachas-loot/
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by bellaberry: 4:24am On Jun 28, 2013
shocked shocked see as them dey call billions (of dollars sef) like say na child's play. On a more serious note, Abacha really dealt with Nigeria angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 4:30am On Jun 28, 2013
Patience Hippopotamus Jonathan don hammer

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 4:30am On Jun 28, 2013
bella berry: shocked shocked see as them dey call billions (of dollars sef) like say na child's play. On a more serious note, Abacha really dealt with Nigeria angry

Imagine, this looting happened decades ago when that much money had more worth than it did now.
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by wirinet(m): 5:02am On Jun 28, 2013
My issue with this discovering of Abacha loot everyday is " is it only Abacha that have looted Nigeria's money and stashed it in european banks" What about all other public servants like past heads of state and governors who have stolen more than Abacha.

I believe Abacha is being singled out because he was antagonistic of the west and confronted them.

Imagine, they have been unable to discover $1 of Babangida's loot but they are forever discovering millions and billions of Abacha loot.

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by takeprofit: 5:46am On Jun 28, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Imagine, this looting happened decades ago when that much money had more worth than it did now.
no wonder his son say they can't be as poor as dangote. one day they may beg for food. fools. he could have looked for a way to reinvest the money into nigerian economy secretly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by UyiIredia(m): 6:02am On Jun 28, 2013
It's a pity the money wasn't invested wisely. But as wirinet rightfully asked: What about IBB and his ill-gotten wealth ?
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by uboma(m): 7:21am On Jun 28, 2013
Abacha stole more than what his families could ever use in their life time. There are still stolen wealth yet to be recovered from the Abacha family.
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by homesteady(m): 7:31am On Jun 28, 2013
takeprofit:
no wonder his son say they can't be as poor as dangote. one day they may beg for food. fools. he could have looked for a way to reinvest the money into nigerian economy secretly.

It was the mother that said it!! She said no matter the amount of money they seize from them,they'll never be as poor as dangote!!

During the last election in kano,the senior son that was contesting under CPC bought cars for all the CPC ogas in kano and distributed a lot of money!! But at the ending he wasn't even the flag-bearer of CPC!
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by kkkp: 8:57am On Jun 28, 2013
Mazan kwarai
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Marisbeybe: 9:09am On Jun 28, 2013
End shall neva wonder! Otuocha! I mean Ooops!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by wirinet(m): 9:14am On Jun 28, 2013
I do not understand why my people are so hypocritical. All nigerian public servants from independence have looted. I know of a first republic politician whose children are still discovering new swiss accounts more than 45 years after his death. All the childern(and they are numerous) are living large with no visible means of income apart from their inherited loot.

Looting of public funds is a culture in Nigeria and people should stop behavng as if it was only Abacha that looted.

Most Nigerian billionaires made their money from looting public funds and not from creating any value. It is accepted that once you became the head of state, a governor or even minister you are expected to be a billionaire before you leave.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Burger01(m): 9:21am On Jun 28, 2013
What an 'Abacha'.

sad

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by nekaa(f): 9:21am On Jun 28, 2013
So is this good ?
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Emade(m): 9:23am On Jun 28, 2013
The money just left one hand to another...Stil on stories

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Jun 28, 2013
LEICHTENSTEIN?!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Like WTF was he planning?! I didnt even know such a country existed.. shocked

This Abacha Nigga should be made a saint!! ST. Abacha.. Patron Saint of Looters. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 9:26am On Jun 28, 2013
wirinet: I do not understand why my people are so hypocritical. All nigerian public servants from independence have looted. I know of a first republic politician whose children are still discovering new swiss accounts more than 45 years after his death. All the childern(and they are numerous) are living large with no visible means of income apart from their inherited loot.

Looting of public funds is a culture in Nigeria and people should stop behavng as if it was only Abacha that looted.

Most Nigerian billionaires made their money from looting public funds and not from creating any value. It is accepted that once you became the head of state, a governor or even minister you are expected to be a billionaire before you leave.
GOD BLESS U SIR
I ALSO REMMEBER A LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN WHO AFTER HE LEFT HIS POSITION,
NUTHING CHANGED MUCH; SAME CAR, SAME HOUSE AND I REMEMBER HOW PEOPLE INSULTED HIM
THEY CALLED HIM A FOOL FOR NOT LOOTINGI GUESS ITS TRUE GOD GIVES A PEOPLE THE
KIND OF LEADERS THEY DESERVE ABACHA WAS 1 MAN, TODAY WE HAVE HUNDREDS OF ABACHAS

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by bignene(m): 9:28am On Jun 28, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
Patience Hippopotamus Jonathan don hammer
can u read at all

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Prowizy2(m): 9:29am On Jun 28, 2013
Thesame abacha wey die ontop fresh indian tOt* ?
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by megareal: 9:30am On Jun 28, 2013
Pray, who will account for how the recovered money is spent.; the current looters?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Revolva(m): 9:30am On Jun 28, 2013
Abacha should rott in the most deeeeeeeest part of Hell fiyya...the one that looks like a swimming pool.....magma..

if hell exist oo!!! which i dont know....hahaa..na wa oo how can some one steal so much....like dis ..till date dem still dey recover ....like say na hidden monument..sems they need the hands of archeologists to discover more
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by genosco: 9:31am On Jun 28, 2013
ALL PAST LEADERS LOOTED, PRESENT ARE STILL LOOTING, FUTURE WILL STILL LOOT....THATS ALL. THERE'S NO CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA, IT'S NOW A WAY OF LIFE. ANYONE REMEBER WHEN POLICE USED TO HIDE TO COLLECT 20 NAIRA ON THE ROAD? NOW THEY DEMAND IT AT GUN POINT OPENLY (WAY AM). ABACHA AND BABANGIDA ERA, THERE WHERE FEW OF THEM LOOTING. NOW , THERE ARE SO MANY SO NIGERIA IS LOOSING MORE AND MORE MONEY......NOTHING CAN BE DONE. NIGERIA HAS DECAYED AND DECOMPOSED. IT'S ALL OVER.

wirinet: I do not understand why my people are so hypocritical. All nigerian public servants from independence have looted. I know of a first republic politician whose children are still discovering new swiss accounts more than 45 years after his death. All the childern(and they are numerous) are living large with no visible means of income apart from their inherited loot.

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Ezedon(m): 9:32am On Jun 28, 2013
this is all we ll hear about the money, what of the previous ones

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Prowizy2(m): 9:34am On Jun 28, 2013
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 28, 2013
What have they done with the recovered ones...
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by rafsy(m): 9:38am On Jun 28, 2013
My problem for nigeria is dis, having discover several billions of dollars looted by different pple. What do they do with this money. All they do is declare the recovery and it dies there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 28, 2013
Abacha is now a scapegoat because he's dead. If he only he didn't die, he'd have been living like IBB

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by baslone: 9:43am On Jun 28, 2013
J12: Abacha is now a scapegoat because he's dead. If he only he didn't die, he'd have been living like IBB

Brother- 17,000 likes for you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by MEILYN(m): 9:46am On Jun 28, 2013
i don die oooo........chaiii Abacha don kill us....if they share that money, 5million naira each, it will go round Nigeria and Ghana, change go still dey oo

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2013
so how dem wan take do the money wey dem recover now?? Just curious!
Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by paddybrown39(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2013
Abeg dis my account N̶̲̥̅̊ 081....... Abeg I need my share!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Recovers More Billions Of Abacha’s Loot by Lordave: 10:00am On Jun 28, 2013
just in five years na im Abacha loot all this things?? If to say de man still dey alive 9ja for don commot for world map.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Agency Headed By Buhari’s In-law Caught In Another Massive Procurement Fraud / How Old Is President Goodluck Jonathan? (Real Age) / Army Launches "Thank You For Your Service" Initiative (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.