Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,230 members, 7,860,472 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:24 AM

From A Blogger's Desk- OJB Jezreel:sentiments, Reality And The Good Samaritan - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / From A Blogger's Desk- OJB Jezreel:sentiments, Reality And The Good Samaritan (636 Views)

Marrying 3 Wives Is My Destiny And I Am Happy When I Look At Them - OJB Jazreel / Vector Prays With OJB Jezreel (Picture) / OJB Jezreel In His Living Room (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From A Blogger's Desk- OJB Jezreel:sentiments, Reality And The Good Samaritan by MojiDelano(f): 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2013
People who know me well know that most times when I'm passionate about an issue, my sense of objectivity is often beclouded by sentiments. However, when analyzing issues, that directly or indirectly borders on public interest like this one, I try to keep an open mind and analyse more realistically.
Since last week, the campaign to save veteran producer and pioneer of contemporary Nigerian music OJB Jezreel real name Babatunde Okungbowa, who needs a $100,000 for kidney transplant has hit the social media by storm. Since then, uncountable trolls have rocked the cyber world, pointing fingers at celebrities and accusing them of turning a blind eye to the ailing health of their colleague.
Since the buzz started, I have watched and lamented to friends about why an amiable, and very accommodating person like Jigga(as OJB is fundly called) will have to resort to asking the general public for help, when many of his colleagues, some whom have passed through him have become very successful in the Nigerian music industry. But like I earlier indicated, I'm not out to flay or malign anyone, so I wont mention names.
I had known that I would put down my thoughts in black and white, but I stalled a bit because I wanted to see how the whole situation will play out i.e If his colleagues will respond well to the distress call. However this evening, I saw something a celebrity posted on her instagram page, which triggered a constructive argument between a friend and I. In the end, we reached an understanding, and this helped me look at this OJB situation from a better point of view. As a result, I decided to write this piece, in the hope that it will help the reasoning of many, as well as fine-tune the social media activism on the OJB matter in the right direction.

Sentiments..
When I first heard that OJB was sick and asking the general public for help, I made a call to a source in the know who confirmed the situation of things. During the call, I asked my source the if OJB and a certain celebrity were on good terms, and the source answered in the affirmative. I then asked, why hasn't this person done anything to help Jigga? My source said so many things, which for the purpose of objectivity will be irrelevant for this article. By the time I got off the phone, I was sad and angry. I also wished I had more money but sadly I don't. I then wondered about OJB's character, and why his colleagues will choose to turn a blind eye to his predicament. As many questions sprang up in mind, my thoughts drifted back to 2003, 2004 and later years when I used to hang out at OJB's Silverpoint studios at No 4 Gbaja street Surulere. I remember all the acts that were under Jigga's tutelage and mentor-ship, and how accommodating and down to earth he was then. I remembered how one time, my friends and I wanted to put together a show, but had problems with sponsorship, and couldn't afford Jigga's services for the jingle voice over. I had hoped that we would appeal to him to accept the meager amount we were offering, but he shocked us pleasantly by doing it for free. But for space, and the 'no mentioning names policy', there are many stories I would have loved to share to elaborate on OJB's persona.
Considering all this, I was baffled that some of this people have now decided to turn a blind eye to Jigga's situation. However, this article isn't about sentiments, so I will move on to the reality of the situation.

Reality...
From time immemorial, what is considered good or bad had varied from one society to another depending on background and believe. What is considered morally wrong differs from one person to another,one race to another. That is why even legally, not everything considered morally wrong can be infused in law. Eg, to many Nigerians, being gay is totally unacceptable, particular because it is morally wrong. However Countries like the US or France are more gay friendly, but expend more energy on issues like terrorism. Point I'm trying to make here is: Celebrities cannot be forced or bullied into contributing towards the well being of their colleague, in this case OJB Jezreel. Like my friend made me understand tonight, the decision to be charitable is a solely personal one. If some celebrities feel its not their responsibility to contribute because they have responsibilities and are financially handicapped at the moment, so be it. The onus then lies on me and you as our brother's keeper to help, and rise to the occasion.
Also, the word celebrity has been used very loosely in the OJB situation. Realistically, people in the music industry, particular those who have worked with him and he considers friends have a higher moral obligation than those who have never met him before and those in other sectors of the entertainment industry.
However, I established before that what obtains morally isn't necessary right or wrong, so that probably shouldn't be the yard stick to judge anybody.

The Good Samaritan...
I'm a Christian, so please permit me at this junction to use the parable of 'The Good Samaritan' to explain my thoughts.
For those who are unfamiliar with this parable, it bothers around a Jewish man, who was robbed, badly injured and left for dead on the road side. A priest, a levite( someone deemed to be from the injured man's tribe) both passed by, and ignored the man's plea for help. Eventually a Samaritan(Samaritans and Jews generally despised each other)came by, and ended up saving the man's life.
The point here is, since some of his colleagues do not feel the need to rise to the occasion, the onus then lies on us. 'US' here been music lovers, or even the average person on the street, who has human feelings and would like to help another person get back on their feet.
So people, as much as I have my reservations about the response of many of OJB's friends and colleagues on this matter, I've realized that apportioning blame at this point is not the way forward. The way forward is to accept that in time of need, those who are expected to rise to the occasion are usually found wanting, and others take up the responsibility. The others here is you and me. In a recent Interview where OJB opened up about his ailment for the first time, he mentioned that people have come forward with as little as 100 naira, so nothing really is too small. If 16,000 people contribute a 1000 naira each, the money will be raised.
Lets stop concentrating on celebs with trolls and allegations, and concentrate of starting charity at home. Leave the celebrities who can afford to help but have decided to turn a blind eye to their conscience and make a donation. I have done the little I can and urged my mum and friends to do same. If everyone who reads this article for instance contributes at least 1000 naira, and urges at least two people to do same, imagine how far that will go to make a difference.
The account no again is:
Babatunde Okungbowa. UBA - 1015075120.

NB: Some celebs have made contributions but refused to disclose the amount and their identity to the public.
Also as at 8am 28th June 2013, 8million has been raised so far.

http://www.mojidelano..com/2013/06/from-bloggers-desk-ojb.html
Re: From A Blogger's Desk- OJB Jezreel:sentiments, Reality And The Good Samaritan by amber222(f): 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2013
i agree wth everytg u said.Life cn be unfair 2 d freegiver smtm.If u hlp mr A,it doesn't mean dt mr A will reciprocate bk wth d hlp u render 2 him/her whn u needed his/her hlp.such is life.I pray he gt thru ds so dt he cn hv testimonies & stories 2 tell.Heard d'banj donates 7m,p'square 5m,iyanya 1m,mercy johnson 1m,don jazzy 1m,ruggedman & sm other pple.dt is almost 16m,y can't he go nw 4 d operatn?

(1) (Reply)

Rick-ross Sued By Jeweler For Unpaid Rolexes / Popular Makeup Artist, Adenike Ogungbe Is Dead / Hello Seun!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.