Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. (19907 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / On Going Work At The Onitsha Shoprite And International Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
Whatever Nigerians are you certainly are illiterate grin Where did I declare my love for shoprite.I have no opinion on shoprite.None !! but I have an opinion on nonenetities who can talk at the Olympics ,criticizing,complaining,moaning and at the end of the day contribute zilch beyond their armchair vituperations.Now that is something I definitely have an opinion on.I cant stand such bums

Since you are cool with whatever Nigerian are (silly of course) am also very cool about arm chair critics with no interest whatsoever in the topic of discussion, spewing cheap words to score none existing points. At same time calling others chair critics, when they are doing worse than arm chair criticism. Very literate people, so literate they have no opinion or contribution to the topic of discussion. Am really OK with the waste of space and time.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 2:55pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

Since you are cool with whatever Nigerian are (silly of course) am also very cool about an arm chair critic with no interest whatsoever in the topic of discussion, spewing cheap words to score none existing points. At same time calling others chair critics, when they are doing worse than arm chair criticism. Very literate people, so literate they have no opinion or contribution to the topic of discussion. Am really OK with the waste of space and time.
You are not very bright are you
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
You are not very bright are you
You are brighter than me with your zero opinions grin grin grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Rossikk(m): 3:00pm On Jun 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

You are right, but I think PPP arrangement is what is ruling the world economy of today. At least where a state has some level of commitment in the entire project to enable it have employment quota purely for its people in the scheme of things. Meaning that by this PPP idea some percent of the jobs will be reserved strictly for the Anambra people.

Well I still blame our business men to large extent who have refused to come up with such a huge idea in the first place. Am sure if they had done that government would have keyed into it to further develop and enhance it, but they were okay with there level of operation. I equally learnt that they are going to build two more Malls: in Awka and Nnewi. So our business people should brace up. grin

It's only a matter of time before a Nigerian conglomerate or two forms its own 'Shoprite'. This same thing happened in India 15 years ago when western shopping giants moved in there, setting up modern retail facilities, chains, malls etc. Today in India most big cities have at least 20 MALLS, and most of those malls are indigenously owned and are home to locally established retail chains.

So all Shoprite has done in Nigeria is come in with a new standard. They upped the level for retail. It is now left to Nigerian entrepreneurs to take up the baton. There's enough room for everyone, as the modern retail sector in Nigeria is still in its infancy. The middle class is expanding, and they will need MORE of such upscale facilities. Do you know that Johannesburg has over 40 malls? Pretoria has about 30. Cape Town 15. So we've barely started in Nigeria.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 3:03pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:
You are brighter than me with your zero opinions grin grin grin
Sure, better to keep your opinions to yourself and leave people wondering if you are foolish than to speak and remove all doubt
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda: Sure, better to keep your opinions to yourself and leave people wondering if you are foolish than to speak and remove all doubt
Yes that's the famous excuse for slow thinkers, but do not worry we will not judge you for your limitations. Am even wondering what someone who is so afraid to have an opinion is doing on a public forum grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2013
Rossikk:

It's only a matter of time before a Nigerian conglomerate or two forms its own 'Shoprite'. This same thing happened in India 15 years ago when western shopping giants moved in there, setting up modern retail facilities, chains, malls etc. Today in India most big cities have at least 20 MALLS, and most of those malls are indigenously owned and are home to locally established retail chains.

So all Shoprite has done in Nigeria is come in with a new standard. They upped the level for retail. It is now left to Nigerian entrepreneurs to take up the baton. There's enough room for everyone, as the modern retail sector in Nigeria is still in its infancy. The middle class is expanding, and they will need MORE of such upscale facilities. Do you know that Johannesburg has over 40 malls? Pretoria has about 30. Cape Town 15. So we've barely started in Nigeria.

This got me shivering that Nigeria is merely a sleeping all these time.

You have said it all, part of the reason I welcome this Malls is that it will change our mentality about market place and introduce novel ideas of shopping in Malls and indoor markets.

It will actually enlighten our business men to copy this mode of transacting in the 21st century, because am not sure there is any open market in Europe and America even in South Africa. Although of recent shopping plazas (Emeka Offor Plazas) are springing up within and around main market Onitsha.

I expect Onitsha big boys to start thinking now how to copy this, because as matter of fact Onitsha is hugely untapped in that people come from all over the country and beyond to shop in the city.

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:
Yes that's the famous excuse for slow thinkers, but do not worry we will not judge you for your limitations. Am even wondering what someone who is so afraid to have an opinion is doing on a public forum grin
And your Quad Core brain after so many operations concluded that "Nigerians are Silly" ? What an earth shattering revelation from a fast thinker? You have totally illuminated the debate.

Mumu; I am or I'm NOT "am" even wondering.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jun 30, 2013
Rossikk:

This might happen, but mind you that ShopRight has been in Lagos since 2005(8 years). Left Nigeria last year, did not know of any Nigerian store brand in Lagos.
Apart, from this, petty trading is the major instrument for efficient income distribution in Eastern, Nigeria. Any unemployed person is trading. We should be careful how we interfere with it.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
And your Quad Core brain after so many operations concluded that "Nigerians are Silly" ? What an earth shattering revelation from a fast thinker? You have totally illuminated the debate.

Mumu; I am or I'm NOT "am" even wondering.

Men, what kind of a dull brain do you have. So if I omit "I" then am wrong?
You could not even consult google before your ill advised correction.
Anyway what do you expect of someone who is so lazy as not to have an opinion in a discussion thread he/she is walking all through.
let me help you
http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/am#
You are obviously over educated. Next time try to use the resources freely available to you
In case you need to learn more try colloquial use of English

By the way, you know people who have nothing to say take the excuse of attacking grammar, in your own case, you are not even sure of the grammar yourself. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Dbazz: 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2013
[quote author=ItsModella][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#006600]Onitsha main market is gonna have some competition hahahahahahahahaha i laf in xhosa competition? They should bring it on we ar waiting
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Dbazz: 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva: I think this Shoprite ish is good for Onitsha because i know business men in Onitsha will not sit down and allow Shoprite to put them out of business. The kind of competition that Onitsha will experience, i cannot imagine. You will see Business men erecting gargantuan structures to outdo each other.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Dbazz: 6:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva: I think this Shoprite ish is good for Onitsha because i know business men in Onitsha will not sit down and allow Shoprite to put them out of business. The kind of competition that Onitsha will experience, i cannot imagine. You will see Business men erecting gargantuan structures to outdo each other.
shoprite can not compete with the onitsha main market
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by adconline(m): 6:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
adamscuti: u are a moronic mongrel,a shameless confused idiaaat! U called these 6 companies investement?? For everyone s.a company in nigeria,there are 5 nigerian companies,world class for that matter,that renders the same and even better services

telecom- mtn------glo

entertainment--dstv-----mytv and hitv

banking---- istanbic(s.a) zenith,uba,first bank,diamond,oceanic... All these nigerian banks also have branches in other african countries as well as in S.a

hospitality- protea hotel(s.a) ,sharaton,transcorp hilton(9ja)

and one more thing,u should know that nigeria is the number one investment destination in africa,other countries,european,asian, south american countries are investing greatly in nigeria as well, so what are u even insinuating?? That we should drive them back?? Ewu! Anoufia!

Mumu of NL. Sharaton as u called it is a US company just like Hilton.
Hitv that is dead. You are comparing elephant and rat. Do yourself a favor, dig up Glo and MTN balance shee.Compare First bank group to S/A Standard Bank group or ABSA. Stop spreading ignorance!

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 6:35pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

Men, what kind of a dull brain do you have. So if I omit "I" then am wrong?
You could not even consult google before your ill advised correction.
Anyway what do you expect of someone who is so lazy as not to have an opinion in a discussion thread he/she is walking all through.
let me help you
http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/am#
You are obviously over educated. Next time try to use the resources freely available to you
In case you need to learn more try colloquial use of English

By the way, you know people who have nothing to say take the excuse of attacking grammar, in your own case, you are not even sure of the grammar yourself. grin grin grin grin grin
You are embarrassing!! and you have the effrontery to call others silly. Empty head
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by buchai: 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
I refused to think in the same direction with some people here. I think our government are planning to "take it all" from business by using a big Mall like shoprite to cushion the price effect of some items in the market in terms of control and regulations. I think to have control and regulation of pricing, control of quality and standard of goods and services and also create employment. Another good aspect of erecting this big mall like shoprite it will enable them to have steady prices of all items in all seasons or at any particular period in time.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
You are embarrassing!! and you have the effrontery to call others silly. Empty head

Am sure you are quite embarrassed, to learn that your correction is with out basis! grin grin grin
Stop pointing at words your brain cannot digest! I know your head is full only, definitely not with brain matter. Maybe cotton woolgrin grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Rossikk(m): 8:04pm On Jun 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

This got me shivering that Nigeria is merely a sleeping all these time.

You have said it all, part of the reason I welcome this Malls is that it will change our mentality about market place and introduce novel ideas of shopping in Malls and indoor markets.

It will actually enlighten our business men to copy this mode of transacting in the 21st century, because am not sure there is any open market in Europe and America even in South Africa. Although of recent shopping plazas (Emeka Offor Plazas) are springing up within and around main market Onitsha.

I expect Onitsha big boys to start thinking now how to copy this, because as matter of fact Onitsha is hugely untapped in that people come from all over the country and beyond to shop in the city.

Onitsha can comfortably hold 15 to 20 standard malls today. Or more.

There's a lot of money in that city. Middle class money that will jump at buying stuff from a mall rather than some open air market.

Also, the trick for small businesses wishing to enter this sector is to build smaller complexes, which still meet the standards of modern malls, ie have lifts, escalators, central AC, restaurants, security, parking etc. Such businesses will be able to capture a significant share of the middle class market... for instance those who live too far from the big mall, but still wish to have that 'experience' of sophisticated retail.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 9:46pm On Jun 30, 2013
Rossikk:

Onitsha can comfortably hold 15 to 20 standard malls today. Or more.

There's a lot of money in that city. Middle class money that will jump at buying stuff from a mall rather than some open air market.

Also, the trick for small businesses wishing to enter this sector is to build small, but still meet the standards of a modern mall, ie have lifts, elevators, central AC, restaurants, security, parking etc. Such businesses will be able to capture a significant share of the middle class market... for instance those who live too far from the big mall, but still wish to have that 'experience' of sophisticated retail.

15-20 Malls? That mean our major cities are hugely under utitlized. Maybe by the time Shoprite finishes building the Mall Onitsha boys will take a cue from that. It will further revolutionize the market system to indoor trading.

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by ChimaAdeoye: 2:11am On Jul 01, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

15-20 Malls? That mean our major cities are hugely under utitlized. Maybe by the time Shoprite finishes building the Mall Onitsha boys will take a cue from that. It will further revolutionize the market system to indoor trading.

Exactly! I only support the South African department store spreading through Nigeria because it will usher in the modern way of shopping into Nigeria.

Nigerians shall otherwise continue to build village style super-markets if this new trend never open in Nigeria. Similar to how the MTN showed that GSM mobile phone technology is the way of the future when our government was still wasting billions of Naira putting an outdated Analogue-digital telephone exchange in Nitel.Which made indigenous phone companies as RELTEL to copy that and equally waste billions of naira installing useless Analogue phone systems.After MTN,Nigeria now has indigenous GSM companies such as Globacom investing in the right technology and not Analogue phone companies.

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by pazienza(m): 4:36am On Jul 01, 2013
o'boy:
my guy,you have just said my mind,Onitsha and whole of Anambra hasn't changed a bit since except for some road patching at some places,umemployment is still high
it is only Online i see people praise and love Peter obi but most Anambrarains i have discussed with in real life regrets having him as their Governor

Obi is a disgrace. I don't comment much about him,cos i feel betrayed by my people,despite all my plea and campaign against this man,my relatives and cousins still voted for him,it was like a charm. Now they don't even know how to admit that they voted for the wrong guy.

Obi is and remains a poor governor for a state like anambra,there has been no real improvement in anambra since he took over from ngige.
I can't wait for his tenure to end.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 7:01am On Jul 01, 2013
Chima_Adeoye:

Exactly! I only support the South African department store spreading through Nigeria because it will usher in the modern way of shopping into Nigeria.

Nigerians shall otherwise continue to build village style super-markets if this new trend never open in Nigeria. Similar to how the MTN showed that GSM mobile phone technology is the way of the future when our government was still wasting billions of Naira putting an outdated Analogue-digital telephone exchange in Nitel.Which made indigenous phone companies as RELTEL to copy that and equally waste billions of naira installing useless Analogue phone systems.After MTN,Nigeria now has indigenous GSM companies such as Globacom investing in the right technology and not Analogue phone companies.

For entire system to change, we need international brands to come and compete within our economy..

When you compare MTN, ETisale, GLO; you will understand that GLO is still learning the ropes. The excellence and sophistication MTN and even ETisalat has brought to bear on telecom system has upped the stakes.

So in a nutshell we need more of Shoprite brands in our major cities of Abuja, Lagos, Onitsha, PH, Kano etc, because from all indications the cities are hugely under used.

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 01, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

For entire system to change, we need international brands to come and compete within our economy..

When you compare MTN, ETisale, GLO; you will understand that GLO is still learning the ropes. The excellence and sophistication MTN and even ETisalat has brought to bear on telecom system has upped the stakes.

So in a nutshell we need more of Shoprite brands in our major cities of Abuja, Lagos, Onitsha, PH, Kano etc, because from all indications the cities are hugely under used.

We need shopping brands, organically home grown like in the UK where they have ASDA, TESCO, SAINSBURY all home grown. We do not need global brands filling up the space cause they will upset our income pattern, distribution and purchasing power. Worst still we do not need to subsidize shopping malls with Govt. fund, there are plenty other areas of more urgent needs.

It takes years to build a brand, not to talk of the vast capital available to such brands. I find the idea of petty traders competing with subsidized global brands very absurd. Why is GLO not doing well against MTN?
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by amacastel: 9:53am On Jul 01, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Shut u my friend! Has it killed Lagos economy? Some of you reason from anu.s.

The coming of Shoprite in the economic nerve center of SE- Onitsha is more than a welcome development becos it will further make room for competition and general growth of economy. The people that shop in the city of Onitsha are mostly people that come from quite distant states and in most cases other African countries. Making the city another Dubai of Africa.

The vibrancy of Onitsha economy does not depend on residents only or civil servants in Awka. Over 75percent of funds that flows into Onitsha comes from outside of the state.

Keep whinning and crying out bitterness and envy because another Shoprite is coming to Awka apart from the ongoing construction of the Ikenga Shopping Mall also in Awka. Shoprite is equally spreading to Nnewi too.
. Helo oga I tnk u are d 1 thinking tru ur ass onitsha is just a town in anambra state lagos is a State in niniger onitsha already have so many big shops and thousands of importers of any goods u can think of I don't think shops like shoprite is necessary cos is going to crumble so many super markets though not main market cos is a great market
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 01, 2013
geeez: Now kidnappes and robbers will waylay shoppers

I know its the state government behind this just like the Enugu governor did

Opening of Shoprite now equates to achievement.

Shoprite outlets opened in Lagos, Oyo and Abuja has nothing to do with government intervention

I visited the Shoprite in Enugu during my last visit to the state and it was scanty, even on a Saturday

Liar. Liar. Liar. U think there are no enugu residents here. Carry your wishful thinking to the shopright ibadan where 102 000 will visit and d after sales will be 35k.

Go to enugu shoprite and see how ppl spend money.....duh.........

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by ba7man(m): 11:41am On Jul 01, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Liar. Liar. Liar. U think there are no enugu residents here. Carry your wishful thinking to the shopright ibadan where 102 000 will visit and d after sales will be 35k.

Go to enugu shoprite and see how ppl spend money.....duh.........
Someone makes a joke about the Ibadan Shoprite and you're already passing it off as Fact??.....SMH for you. Makes me wonder how many more facts you've generated out of jokes on this Forum.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 01, 2013
ba7man: Someone makes a joke about the Ibadan Shoprite and you're already passing it off as Fact??.....SMH for you. Makes me wonder how many more facts you've generated out of jokes on this Forum.

prove me wrong. y e no go sound like joke to u

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 07, 2013
Pedagogue: Telecommunication industry- MTN (South Africa)

Entertainment: DSTV ( South Africa)

Retail: Shoprite, Woolworths, Pack N Pay (south Africa)

Banking : Stanbic IBTC (South Africa)

Hospitality: Protea Hotel (South Africa)

South African companies have taken over all our key sectors....but yet we are happy!!! we have no shame whatsoever!!! it's not that I'm against 'foreign investment ...but shouldn't that be on the basis of reciprocity! Can anyone mention Nigerian companies that are in S.A!!!

Well, that shd b expected...we have a govt that does not encourage indigenous investors/businessmen...but when foreigners come, they worship them!!!

glo with pride!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AMCON Takes Over Afrijet Airlines / Four Common Financial Mistakes Most People In Nigeria Make / CBN Forex Policy: Local Manufacturers Happy As Production And Sales Leap By 50%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.