Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot (6359 Views)

My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project / 2003 Nissan 350z Restoration / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 30, 2013
I love Classic American cars...especially American muscle...charger, camaro, mustangs..Plymouth i love em all...so when i was driving and came across this....i had to have it..so i bought it and took it home....you can see my progress from break down to reassemble...I learned how to do this by doing a lot of research on this specific car after i bought it...

When I spotted it

bought and took it home

Started disassemble

Removed the engine

engine..is an old school flat head-6...i dont know if any of you know anything about em...

started body work...I had to buy like $700 worth of tools to do this job...

removed the body off the frame.

body off the frame.

first thing is frame restoration.

rear axle before..

after 3 coats of rustoleum

frame with primer.

frame with last coat.

got some new rims...

put frame back together..i painted the front arms black for the cool look....

body back on frame...to go to the body shop...

sand blasted ready to be worked....

decided to scratch the old engine and go with this...V8-LT1..

New leather seats....

the final result will look like these...

anyone here...restoring or ever restored a classic American? I hope this makes the front page

7 Likes

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 30, 2013
How long did it take you?
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Evergreen4(m): 9:25am On Jun 30, 2013
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Evergreen4(m): 9:26am On Jun 30, 2013
Wow, this is cool, how long did it take you to do this? MOD front pgae please
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 30, 2013
I restore old cars but not American. I typically do mostly little British cars of the 50's and 60's like Austin Minis and MG Bs. I also do BMW cars of the same era like Bavaria and 2002s.

I will share more pictures later.

Before:

After:

My German Ladies, the one on the right might become a stretched limo but we'll see:

I have several projects going on but here is a picture of my 2013 summer project:

I'm all about restoring old cars.

Good luck on your project, it's a nice rewarding hobby but will test your patience once in a while.

And whatever you do, do not ever calculate how much you spent - lol.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 30, 2013
Is the LT1 from a Vette or something else?

What's your plan for the Igbo? You should restore it and use it as a conversation piece.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 30, 2013
Somorin#1:
I restore old cars but not American. I typically do mostly little British cars of the 50's and 60's like Austin Minis and MG Bs. I also do BMW cars of the same era like Bavaria and 2002s.

I'm all about restoring old cars.

Good luck on your project, it's a nice rewarding hobby but will test your patience once in a while.

And whatever you do, do not ever calculate how much you spent - lol.

Nice man....I like that....this little one is looking rough man....its gonna take some elbow grease...

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
Somorin#1:
Is the LT1 from a Vette or something else?

What's your plan for the Igbo? You should restore it and use it as a conversation piece.

The LT1 is from the silverado ..... and the Igbo 6 am gonna personally restore and keep...on an engine stand....

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 30, 2013
SniperInADiaper: How long did it take you?

from brake down to where i got it now...it took about 5 months....
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2013
Awesome! Nothing beats the hands-on approach. Hard work, but very rewarding once done. My sole experience with a Yank tank was a '74 Ford Mustang. Bought it back in '89 with half the floorpan rotted away, and a seized motor. Took me 9 months to get her back to concourse standard. Rebuilt a small block Chevy to replace the original V6, and junked the old 3-speed automatic in favour of a 5-speed Tremec, running through a Cutlass rear axle.

I'd love to get my hands on a '56 Bel Air at some point.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2013
this thread just put a smile on my face....
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2013
platinumricky: this thread just put a smile on my face....

Good..
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by CLASSMAN: 5:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
this is fantastic these are the kind of thread that are suppose to make front page not toto dikey thread
Good one bro

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by FindOut(m): 10:22pm On Jun 30, 2013
Awesome. Hope you'll update the thread when work is finished.

No front page yet o. Lets have the true car lovers appreciate it first here at home in the section.lol
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 30, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

from brake down to where i got it now...it took about 5 months....

Sweet. Good luck with the rest. cool
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 01, 2013
Find Out!:
Awesome. Hope you'll update the thread when work is finished.

No front page yet o. Lets have the true car lovers appreciate it first here at home in the section.lol

its gonna be a long time before i finish....i got some important things to take care of..right now...but i will
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 01, 2013
my 02 chevy silverado...on air bags..and 4 switches....anybody here riding on bag? if so...how do you like it? or planing on installing one?

first day i bought it

took it to the shop and had them installed air bags...front and back...the ride feel like you are riding on clouds

after air bags....frame laying on the ground....

anyone here riding on bags? or custom suspensions? show pictures please...
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 01, 2013
Used to be heavy into bags in the 90's but not anymore.

Nice truck.

Wherearebouts in Lone Star state are you?
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 10, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Nice man....I like that....this little one is looking rough man....its gonna take some elbow grease...

It's a labor of love.

A friend stopped by to give me some motivation.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 10, 2013
Somorin, are you retaining the more rounded front end, or going with the "Clubman" nose? Definitely more room to work in, from experience. It's been many years since I worked on an Austin Mini though.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 3:56am On Jul 12, 2013
grin grin

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 26, 2013
Siena: Somorin, are you retaining the more rounded front end, or going with the "Clubman" nose? Definitely more room to work in, from experience. It's been many years since I worked on an Austin Mini though.

I'm retaining the round nose.

I think Clubmans look better in the Wagon version.

Another motivational visit

I already received the front end panels

Waiting for some more floor panesl from your side of the pond and then off to the welders.

The plan is for a two piece metal removable front. Basically the whole front will be removable for complete access to the engine bay.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 26, 2013
^^^ Sounds good. I believe the hood and fenders will be one piece, up to the fender seams? It'll certainly make working on the motor from any angle much easier.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Idowuogbo(f): 4:16am On Jul 26, 2013
Wow! Cool..
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 26, 2013
Siena: ^^^ Sounds good. I believe the hood and fenders will be one piece, up to the fender seams? It'll certainly make working on the motor from any angle much easier.

Okay so this is the concept on another Mini.

It's a two piece with the front panel and fenders (wings for you - lol)in one piece that flips forward and also removable and the hood (bonnet) separately but also removable.

The one piece kits are more suited for outright race cars. For a daily driver that you have to check oil and water it will be tedious to have to flip the whole shebang all the time.

I wonder how the OP is getting along.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 26, 2013
For those not terribly familiar with Austin Minis, here's a great video by the owner of where I get some of my parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwzVvpSCtw&feature=youtu.be
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
Somorin#1:

I'm retaining the round nose.

I think Clubmans look better in the Wagon version.

Another motivational visit

I already received the front end panels

what color paint you gonna use?
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 26, 2013
Idowuogbo: Wow! Cool..

Yes...very cool....show your own work here.
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

what color paint you gonna use?

I'm going with Yamaha green and a big white vinyl strip down the middle grin
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Wallie(m): 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
Nice!!!! I'm also looking for a classic car to restore but I don't really have the time right now! Although, if I come across something nice, I'll just buy and park it till I can work on it. I almost bought a Lotus Super Seven kit a couple of years ago and I might still go that route if I can't find a reasonable priced classic that I like. The '67 Mustang Shelby GT-500 is my dream classic.

Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by redcliff: 1:38am On Aug 05, 2013
Omo men na strong men fuLl this setting o. See the skills laying outside this country. Smh*
Re: PHOTOS...MY 1951 Plymouth Business Coupe American Classic Home Restoration..phot by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 05, 2013
No more updates from the OP.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Car Should I Go For? / How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? / Key Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.