Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? (522 Views)

These 5 Powerful People May Cause Nigeria’s Break-up / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka / IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 30, 2013
Dear all,

I have carefully analyzed the situation in Nigeria and come to discover that the reason for so much political tension in the land is because of the struggle to grab the presidency i.e. power at the center. This is because the presidency retains so much power and controls a huge proportion of the nations resources. I think we have the following options as a country:

[1] The constitution should recognize the six geopolitical zone structure and also, our laws should be amended to rotate the presidency round the six geopolitical zones. If every region in this country could rest assured that the presidency would eventually get to them because the law stipulates such, there would be no need for all this bitter struggle, threats and counter threats because of power at the center. If we should adopt this option, I believe our National Assembly should be able to fine tune the process to cater for any short comings anticipated.

[2] We could decide to go regional whereby the 36-state structure would be abolished and every region would be free to control their resources, develop at their own pace and make their own laws. Each region would be required to contribute a percentage of revenue to the center which would manage a common military for the country.

[3] We could decide to call a referendum and break up Nigeria like Korea, Sudan, Yugoslavia etc.

Guys what do you think about these options and which do you think Nigeria should adopt? It is very clear that our present system of government is generating so much bitterness and hatred.

Thank you.
Re: Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
Dear Moderator, this topic is an interesting one and would generate meaningful arguments. Pls move it to front page.
Re: Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? by mensdept: 8:48pm On Jul 07, 2013
No to rotating the presidency. In that situation, the ruling party or parties decide who is the most "safe" candidate to guarantee the safety of their loot. It also encourages clannish mindset even at the state level where one "zone" needs to rule or else nothing can be done, despite the fact they have their national and state assembly members and the likes.

The so-called 6 zones and the states carved up were all British based, sustained by corrupt illegal military governments that wanted to divide first the Eastern Region, and then the people at large, entrapping them into small and unproductive units that would forever not develop or challenge anybody.

We need to operate on the original four regions and from there decipher proper state creations out of those regions if we are to avoid nonsense and time wasting.
Re: Should Nigeria Break Up Or What Options Do We Have? by ogb5(m): 8:52pm On Jul 07, 2013
Op, I think you should change you name first, what that name connotes spell bad omen to fellow Nigerians if that is your intention.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

India To Charge Britain For Overstaying Till 1947 / Keyamo Asks Court To Compel WAEC To Release Uzodimma’s Certificate / Delta Central Sentorial Bye-election: I've Not Endorsed Anybody---Uduaghan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.